Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

sceach16 wrote: »
    1988! (not 1998). 1998 is about 400. 1988 scarce.

Correct, sorry for the typo.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Just took delivery of Teeling Barleywine(Galway Bay) cask. Looking forward to cracking it open later.

IMG_8834_18.JPG?itok=EjzJmHV5

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

irish_goat wrote: »
    Just took delivery of Teeling Barleywine(Galway Bay) cask. Looking forward to cracking it open later.

IMG_8834_18.JPG?itok=EjzJmHV5

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Personally I was not a fan of it.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Personally I was not a fan of it.

I had it 2 years ago during a distillery tour. I remember enjoying it then so hoping my tastes haven't changed too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Blackwater distillery are launching a bimonthly tasters club. 40 Euro a box or 105 for six months and 185 for 12 months. This month is Limited First Edition: Jaffa Cake Gin & Limoncello. Not strictly whiskey but people might be interested with the Peter Mulryan link.

Seasonal gins and unique spirits crafted exclusively for our members

2 x 200ml bottles delivered to your door bi-monthly

Cocktail card recipe guide for each spirit

Exclusive invites, member benefits and expertise from our team of distillers and mixologists

Beautifully presented 100% recyclable box, making it the perfect gift for family and friends

Republic of Ireland only

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Randomly came across a bottle of Paddy Centenary in SuperValu Sundrive Road. Must have been languishing at the back of the cabinet for years! Delighted with my find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm usually a big fan of Teeling, but their 18 Year Old Renaissance us just not doing it for me. I can't put my finger on it, plenty of sweetness from the madeira barrels, but a bang of spices just seems to be a bit of an overkill.

Such a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm usually a big fan of Teeling, but their 18 Year Old Renaissance us just not doing it for me. I can't put my finger on it, plenty of sweetness from the madeira barrels, but a bang of spices just seems to be a bit of an overkill.

Such a shame.
    Shame.
    I cracked open my teeming 17 yo recently (red wine finish) and it was immense yeh. A bit of smooth spice is associate with Shiraz. But certainly not the spice overhit that can take over the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Bought Woodford Reserve Bourbon & Hyde 1640 commemorative edition from Celtic Whiskey shop.

Really enjoying the Woodford Reserve right now, lovely taste off it, excellent both straight and thrown into a whiskey sour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

Contemplating my next purchase. Both Connemara and Bushmills 10 are on sale in supervalu (35e and 42e respectively) I also have a 6e off voucher that I acquired unbeknownst to the other half to further reduce my costs. What would people recommend (unfortunately buying both isn't a valid option)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭McHardcore

Glenfiddich. Im a fan of the price and taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pierrette wrote: »
    Contemplating my next purchase. Both Connemara and Bushmills 10 are on sale in supervalu (35e and 42e respectively) I also have a 6e off voucher that I acquired unbeknownst to the other half to further reduce my costs. What would people recommend (unfortunately buying both isn't a valid option)

Very different flavours so it depends on what you want to try.

Connemara is peated.
    Bushmills 10 is sweet sherry cask finished.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Very different flavours so it depends on what you want to try.

Connemara is peated.
    Bushmills 10 is sweet sherry cask finished.

I'm not usually a fan of peated but I enjoyed Connemara at one of the many online tastings that kept me sane through lockdown.

For €35 I think I'll pick up a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

A Good choice of 100mls bottles, is this a new option?
    New to me :)

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

dball wrote: »
    A Good choice of 100mls bottles, is this a new option?
    New to me :)

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

Prices are a bit insane to be honest.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Prices are a bit insane to be honest.
    Yeah gotta expect a mark up for the novelty.

A bottle that's €70 will get 7x100ml bottles.
    So the contents are €10, but the time you add on the mini bottle, shipping and a money for the effort. It's at a silly price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Had dinner in one of the FX Buckley's yesterday and decided to try a whiskey. I am not long into whiskey but tried Redbreast 21 year old, have to say it was amazing.

Popped into James Fox's on Grafton street and picked up six 50ml taster whiskey's, looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Had dinner in one of the FX Buckley's yesterday and decided to try a whiskey. I am not long into whiskey but tried Redbreast 21 year old, have to say it was amazing.

Popped into James Fox's on Grafton street and picked up six 50ml taster whiskey's, looking forward to trying them.

How much was RB 21 in there ?

limnam wrote: »
    How much was RB 21 in there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Am going to the north for a few days and doing one of the bus tours. As part of it you get to visit the Bushmills distillery, just a short visit and not the full tour unfortunately.

Only really sampled the basic Bushmills original, which is very nice drink,l. I was thinking of buying a black bush Bushmills in the gift shop as I have heard it is nice and good value. I am wondering do people have any recommendations from the place? Don't want to spend above 70 quid ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Try Bankers next time you're in town, they have a great selection of whiskey. Think RB 21 is only €23 there too!

conor678 wrote: »
    Am going to the north for a few days and doing one of the bus tours. As part of it you get to visit the Bushmills distillery, just a short visit and not the full tour unfortunately.

Only really sampled the basic Bushmills original, which is very nice drink,l. I was thinking of buying a black bush Bushmills in the gift shop as I have heard it is nice and good value. I am wondering do people have any recommendations from the place? Don't want to spend above 70 quid ideally

I'd love to go but haven't made it yet.
    Looking at their distillery shop online, I'd be going for this one...
    Personalised bottle of the Distillery Reserve 12 year old for €45.
    https://shop.bushmills.com/products/bushmills-distillery-reserve-12-year-old-70cl

Black bush is very nice but you can pick it up in Tesco for €26.
    Likewise the Bushmills 10 is lovely but on offer in Tesco for €40 right now.

Try Bankers next time you're in town, they have a great selection of whiskey. Think RB 21 is only €23 there too!

I will thanks. Seriously thinking of buying a bottle of RB 21, maybe for Christmas.

It's a shame you're not doing the full tour it's pretty interesting. And includes a few tastes of some of the mid range stuff.
    I think black bush is one of the best whiskey in the country at it's price range - but as pointed out above, it's cheaper in tesco.

The distillery exclusive is a good option. Another good option is the steamship range, I'm a fan of sherry cask myself.

https://shop.bushmills.com/products/bushmills-sherry-cask

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

On the topic of buying whiskey across the border, where do you recommend to go for the best deals?

Are discounts usually advertised on the various supermarkets? Are offers available in Northern Ireland usually available on the supermarket's UK website?

For example, if I look at the prices on the Tesco UK website, do these reflect what is available in Newry? Or will the Newry outlet have specific offers that other outlets, for example in London, do not have? Is it possible for example, to phone Sainsbury's in Newry and ask what offers are available that might not be available in other Sainsbury's stores?

Any tips are much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Leinster90 wrote: »
    On the topic of buying whiskey across the border, where do you recommend to go for the best deals?

Are discounts usually advertised on the various supermarkets? Are offers available in Northern Ireland usually available on the supermarket's UK website?

For example, if I look at the prices on the Tesco UK website, do these reflect what is available in Newry? Or will the Newry outlet have specific offers that other outlets, for example in London, do not have? Is it possible for example, to phone Sainsbury's in Newry and ask what offers are available that might not be available in other Sainsbury's stores?

You.re best to just go in and check, there's no science to it

For Sainsburys you can register and use a random Newry postcode. Pretend to start an online shop and then I assume you should see NI products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Depends what you're looking for. If you're in Belfast and want to look into some rarer stuff, the Vineyard on the Ormeau Road is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Thanks for the responses.

I have good reason to cross the border anyway other than because I think it would be a bit of fun and because I’d save a few bob.I could pick up at least 5 bottles to make it worth it money-wise, which is why I’d like to know what is available beforehand.

The tip about creating a fake account for local delivery in order to see the prices is useful. I’ve seen some intriguing prices for good Irish whiskeys posted here, so hopefully there will be some nice ones available next week when I head up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Just tried the Whistler PX I love you, it really showcases the PX Cask impact and I must say I'm very impressed with this and their other releases, I've recently tried their 12 year old and their stout cask finish and can confirm both are excellent.

I was particularly a fan of their 12 year old. It's now sold out unfortunately but if anyone can recommend a similar whiskey that would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the responses.

I have good reason to cross the border anyway other than because I think it would be a bit of fun and because I’d save a few bob.I could pick up at least 5 bottles to make it worth it money-wise, which is why I’d like to know what is available beforehand.

The tip about creating a fake account for local delivery in order to see the prices is useful. I’ve seen some intriguing prices for good Irish whiskeys posted here, so hopefully there will be some nice ones available next week when I head up.

If you just search or Whiskey prices in the likes of Tesco or Sainsburys online, the prices you see there will be the prices in each store. Always deals on these 2 retailers.

actuar90 wrote: »
    Just tried the Whistler PX I love you, it really showcases the PX Cask impact and I must say I'm very impressed with this and their other releases, I've recently tried their 12 year old and their stout cask finish and can confirm both are excellent. I was particularly a fan of their 12 year old. It's now sold out unfortunately but if anyone can recommend a similar whiskey that would be much appreciated

Have you tried their Calvados cask finish?
    I really liked it, but then I like Calvados.
    But I should declare I wasn't a fan of the stout cask finish so maybe we have different tastes.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/The-Whistler-Calvados-Cask-Finish?search=calvados

Have you tried their Calvados cask finish?
    I really liked it, but then I like Calvados.
    But I should declare I wasn't a fan of the stout cask finish so maybe we have different tastes.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/The-Whistler-Calvados-Cask-Finish?search=calvados

I liked it but preferred the stout cask. The stout cask is very unusual though, has a real dry, chocolate cake flavour. Can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

For Sainsburys you can register and use a random Newry postcode. Pretend to start an online shop and then I assume you should see NI products.

Redbreast 12 is £40.00 in Sainsburys. Up around Newry in a few weeks so hopefully it stays at this price!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I didn't know they were open. Black Bush is in the supermarkets in the north for about 25 pounds or perhaps lower so it may be cheaper than the distillery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just opened Red Breast 21 year old. Smooth is an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I didn't know they were open. Black Bush is in the supermarkets in the north for about 25 pounds or perhaps lower so it may be cheaper than the distillery.

Should be less than £25; its €25/26 when on special offer (frequently) in ROI as it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Should be less than £25; its €25/26 when on special offer (frequently) in ROI as it is.
    That pricing is unique to the Republic, I think. I've certainly never seen anything like an equivalent up north or abroad.

Similarly, Connemara can regularly be got for around the £20/€25 mark elsewhere but I've never seen that pricing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's certainly a deliberate under pricing of certain Irish products in Ireland but I could easily be wrong in assuming it extended across the border. Bush 10 is my supermarket buy outside Ireland usually, as it is almost always cheaper than here and often barely dearer than Black Bush

Kilbeggan and Tullamore Dew are also often cheaper here than in some of the usually cheap places internationally

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I was blown away, where did you get it?

• Advertisement

Got it on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

BeerNut wrote: »
    Connemara can regularly be got for around the £20/€25 mark elsewhere but I've never seen that pricing here.

It was! I remember picking it up at Dunnes for that price when it new to market. I also got good deals on it from O'Briens a few times. After a year it was like they made the conscious decision to put it up-market and it was in the €35 then €38 price points. At that price, I'd just go for Laphroaig instead.

Funny enough I haven't seen Bushmills Black on special in Dunnes for a long time. Maybe its still on special regular enough in Tesco? Dunnes was doing a special on Powers for ages but that's disappeared recently. Not much on offer these days except the ubiquitous Bushmills White label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Funny enough I haven't seen Bushmills Black on special in Dunnes for a long time. Maybe its still on special regular enough in Tesco? Dunnes was doing a special on Powers for ages but that's disappeared recently. Not much on offer these days except the ubiquitous Bushmills White label.
    I was in Dunnes earlier and they're doing the 700ml Powers for €24.50 again, didn't notice the price of Bushmills Black.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Maybe its still on special regular enough in Tesco?
    Yup, currently €26 for the second time this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It's handy enough to pick up if you're looking for a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I have one, waiting for a special moment to crack it open, something to look forwartd to...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Pierrette wrote: »

Had the Bushmills 10 last Nov/Dec ..i remember it being very smooth and really easy to drink..depends on where your pallet is? Id go with the Connemara as its much more complex and depth in it..the bushmills lacks the same earthiness.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Had the Bushmills 10 last Nov/Dec ..i remember it being very smooth and really easy to drink..depends on where your pallet is? Id go with the Connemara as its much more complex and depth in it..the bushmills lacks the same earthiness.
    Bushmills 10 has been €30 in Tesco in the run up to Christmas the past few years, and hopefully will be again this year, so that would be the most opportune time to pick up a bottle.

Signed up for tasting of Loch Lomond distillery with L Mulligans. Dunno much about the distillery but have enjoyed previous Scotch ones.

Places available.

http://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=llwt#.X0VMRJ0uXXk.twitter

• Advertisement

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I have one, waiting for a special moment to crack it open, something to look forwartd to...... :)

The reopening of schools. Or to celebrate a day ending in Y.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement