Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Just finished a Benromach Speyside single malt 2008 peat smoke. 46% vol.

so its back to the Glenlivet Master Distiller's reserve for tonight.Can't bate the auld 1ltr bottles sometimes.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Just opened Red Breast 21 year old. Smooth is an understatement.

Do you mind me asking how long is the bottle likely to last?
    Was it worth the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Away on holidays and got chatting to a very friendly barman who gave me a couple of free whiskeys. Got a glass of the Midleton Academy and an all sherry single cask Redbreast for free off him. Bought a 27 year old Redbreast to top it off then.

Cazale wrote: »
    Got a glass of the Midleton Academy.

Delighted to try this one as it's only available to those who complete the Irish Distillers Academy course in Midleton.

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/Midleton-Academy-Bottle-p/midleton-academy.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Away on holidays and got chatting to a very friendly barman who gave me a couple of free whiskeys. Got a glass of the Midleton Academy and an all sherry single cask Redbreast for free off him. Bought a 27 year old Redbreast to top it off then.

I need a break. Please reveal your location! (PM will be fine!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was it worth the money?

Likely to last because it’ll go off or because I’ll drink it?
    Yea it was worth the money tbh. Nikka coffee malt was amazing but this is now my favourite. Comes in a lovely box too. The only problem is I found out recently that red breast do a 28yr old bottle....

I can only assume you’re a 6ft blonde with huge boobs.

Great selection of whisky in that bar. I’d also like to know where! How much for the 27yr redbreast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm presuming this wasn't in Ireland under the current restrictions of 105 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I have one, waiting for a special moment to crack it open, something to look forwartd to...... :)

The special moment is when you open it etc etc :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Was it worth the money?

Depends how quickly you drink it.

Worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gozunda wrote: »
    I'm presuming this wasn't in Ireland under the current restrictions of 105 minutes?

105m only applies when 2m distancing can't be achieved - I know of a few barn-like premises that could give you 5m if needed.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    I can only assume you’re a 6ft blonde with huge boobs.

I'm over 6ft. The boobs are from overeating during the lockdown.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Great selection of whisky in that bar. I’d also like to know where! How much for the 27yr redbreast

It was €50 for a glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

L1011 wrote: »
    105m only applies when 2m distancing can't be achieved - I know of a few barn-like premises that could give you 5m if needed.

According to several posters on boards who went on staycations recently - a number of hotel bars are strictly implementing the rule (distancing or otherwise)

gozunda wrote:
    According to several posters on boards who went on staycations recently - a number of hotel bars are strictly implementing the rule (distancing or otherwise)

I was out with the brother in law. We got 90 mins in the bar we went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was it worth the money?

It's 20 drinks.
    So you could have 2 each saturday and sunday, and polish it in a month.
    You could split it with a friend and drop it in a single weekend.
    Or it could be a only on birthday and Christmas things and get years out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Signed up for tasting of Loch Lomond distillery with L Mulligans. Dunno much about the distillery but have enjoyed previous Scotch ones.

I signed up for that on a whim as well. Hope it's good now.
    I had to pay for shipping, but seem to remember it being included in a previous one from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Effects wrote: »
    I signed up for that on a whim as well. Hope it's good now.
    I had to pay for shipping, but seem to remember it being included in a previous one from them.

There was something in the email about it being split this time and if you'd signed up for the Hinch tasting you wouldn't need to pay postage twice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Guys,

I will be heading from Dublin to Belfast on Saturday. Any good whiskey/whisky shops on the way or in Belfast?

Anyone visited https://dukeofyorkbelfast.com/venues/the-friend-at-hand/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Greg81 wrote: »
    Guys,

I will be heading from Dublin to Belfast on Saturday. Any good whiskey/whisky shops on the way or in Belfast?

Anyone visited https://dukeofyorkbelfast.com/venues/the-friend-at-hand/

I’ve been in the Duke Of York, good old fashioned pub.There’s a good looking whiskey shop at the end of the lane, pretty sure that was the one.
    I didn’t stop in mid session though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gozunda wrote: »

A premises can give you 105 seconds if they want; it can just be easier to enforce it

I know of a bar doing 2 hours in Dublin unofficially; as you would be 2m distanced.

Greg81 wrote:

Greg81 wrote:
    Anyone visited

Great selection. They only sell Irish whiskey too. No bargains though so except to pay top price.

Greg81 wrote:

Greg81 wrote:
    Anyone visited

Great selection. They only sell Irish whiskey too. No bargains though so except to pay top price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Away for a few days and went to the Celtic Whiskey Bar and Larder in Killarney tonight.

What a spot.

Had the Scottish Peated Malt flight which consisted of Laproaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Caol Ila and Longrow 18.

The Longrow was exceptional.

Finished off with a Method and Madness Hungarian Oak finish which is now added to my list of must have.

Food was unreal too.

If anyone is ever down this way I couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Duke of York is a great pub.

The Vineyard on the Ormeau Road has a great choice of whisk(e)ys.

It was €50 for a glass.

Was it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Felexicon wrote: »
    Away for a few days and went to the Celtic Whiskey Bar and Larder in Killarney tonight.

What a spot.

Had the Scottish Peated Malt flight which consisted of Laproaig 10, Lagavulin 16, Caol Ila and Longrow 18.

The Longrow was exceptional.

Finished off with a Method and Madness Hungarian Oak finish which is now added to my list of must have.

Food was unreal too.

If anyone is ever down this way I couldn't recommend it more.

Second that. Was there earlier on this month, great spot.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Was it worth it?

For me Redbreast is the pinnacle of Irish whiskey so a 27 year old cask strength redbreast should be the pinnacle of the brand. It definitely lived up to expectation and it was probably the nicest and most complex Irish whiskey I've tried so far. I just wish I could justify getting a bottle!

• Advertisement

Duke of York is a great pub.

I'd recommend the 25 year old Friend at hand redbreast that they sell by the glass. Duke of York sadly still closed though due to the covid restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Does anyone have any information about the supposed release of Blue Spot? I only know that they sought label approval in the United States, and havent heard anything else since.

Leinster90 wrote:
    Does anyone have any information about the supposed release of Blue Spot? I only know that they sought label approval in the United States, and havent heard anything else since.

Jonathan Mitchell heavily implied it would be released this year but haven't heard if covid has impacted that or not.

Great price on 12yr Redbreast on Amazon atm. Around €40ish.

On that, what is redbreast lustau like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Balvenie 14 year old Caribbean Cask tonight. Very nice indeed.

50275704928_f06a3bcd82_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭McHardcore

Im on the Tullamore DEW tonight and would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

First drop of Writers Tears Copper Pot Deau XO Cognac Finish last night. Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Quick update for some feedback I recieved here a week or two ago. I was supposed to do the Old Bushmills distillery tour as part of a north Antrim coast day tour. The distillery is closed to visitors for obvious reasons which was a shame.

Instead I followed people's advice and bought a bottle of Black Bush from Tesco up here for 26 pound which is great value.

Also tried to get a drink in the Duke of York in Belfast but unfortunately that is closed too.

It was Dingle single Malt 3rd batch for me tonight. Very creamy.Unusual,but only as I drink Scottish single malts more.
    Looking forward to trying the other Dingle releases.

From Twitter.

Just read that Proper 12 is aged in casks made from pallets robbed from the Crumlin Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I'm living in USA now and got gifted this for my birthday, haven't tried it yet. Seems like its a US market only brand imported by Total Wine. Anyone know who is distilling it? They also have a 16 yo single malt if that helps.

rLGizas.jpgs

• Advertisement

Got myself the new W.D O'Connell Bill Phil Cask Strenght.

It is delicious! Full of peaty goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

banjopaul wrote: »
    I'm living in USA now and got gifted this for my birthday, haven't tried it yet. Seems like its a US market only brand imported by Total Wine. Anyone know who is distilling it? They also have a 16 yo single malt if that helps.

rLGizas.jpgs

Google is your friend paul.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

banjopaul wrote:

Cooley stock I think. Happy birthday!

Felexicon wrote:
    Got myself the new W.D O'Connell Bill Phil Cask Strenght.

The normal Bill Phil is a lovely dram. I'll have to track this one down. Great to see more cask strength releases too.

Ah Ardbeg my old friend!

50283896227_bd11318d45_c.jpg

The normal Bill Phil is a lovely dram. I'll have to track this one down. Great to see more cask strength releases too.

Got released yesterday and they only had 2 bottles left in Celtic whiskey shop when I got there today.

Only 350 bottles produced.

Wailin wrote:
    Ah Ardbeg my old friend!

Can't beat it! The London Whisky Club have a tasting coming up with some very heavy hitter Ardbegs. Tried to get in on it but it sold out straight away.

1. 1981 Lord of the Isles
    2. 1974 Signatory Vintage
    3. 1977 Limited Edition
    4. 1990 Airigh Nam Beist
    5. 1991 Douglas Laing OMC
    6. 2004 Adelphi Limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Picked up a bottle of Aerstone 10 Year Old Sea Cask. First time to try it. Very nice. Tasty toffee goodness.

Worth a punt.

Can't beat it! The London Whisky Club have a tasting coming up with some very heavy hitter Ardbegs. Tried to get in on it but it sold out straight away.

1. 1981 Lord of the Isles
    2. 1974 Signatory Vintage
    3. 1977 Limited Edition
    4. 1990 Airigh Nam Beist
    5. 1991 Douglas Laing OMC
    6. 2004 Adelphi Limited

That would have been class! Some rare whiskies, pricey I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Google is your friend paul.

What a helpful contribution. Good on ya mate, out there fighting the good fight.
    Cooley stock I think. Happy birthday!

Thanks, looks like Cooley alright! And cheers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement