Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Hogzy wrote: »
    Tempted to buy the Uigeadail. Is it really better than the Lagavulin 16? The Lag 16 is my favourite scotch hands down. Curious to know how you would differentiate the two?

Very Very tempted now to buy that Ardbeg

Different beasts.. The Uigeadail has much more of that Ardbeg peat and iodine house style, although maybe not as much as when it first came out. Lagavulin 16 is also an Islay whisky but much more refined.

To put it another way, my wife will complain bitterly the room smells of smoked kippers if I have a glass of Uigeadail, whereas if it is a Lagavulin 16 then she's likely to have a sip herself.

Just a comment on the Dark Silkie mentioned above... It's a marked improvement on the regular Silkie, in my view. Still a bit of a 'meh' offering, but I hope that when Sliabh Liag start getting their feet properly under them then they will be able to do something more interesting. Their gin is decent, there is a naval strength wine cask finished special edition in particular that is worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Just a comment on the Dark Silkie mentioned above... It's a marked improvement on the regular Silkie, in my view. Still a bit of a 'meh' offering, but I hope that when Sliabh Liag start getting their feet properly under them then they will be able to do something more interesting. Their gin is decent, there is a naval strength wine cask finished special edition in particular that is worth a look.

Yeah it's just ok. I'm trying my best to support the newer Irish whiskey brands but when it's just the same Cooley or Great Northern spirit it's hard to justify some of the prices. As you say hopefully that will improve over time.

I have a 50ml sample of their An Dúlamán Santa Ana Armada Strength Gin for the missus to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

I tried E.H. Taylor Single Barrell last night..wow..couldn't drink it at all,and had to pour my glass down the sink.
    Think I'll stick to the Irish and Scottish single malts from here on.

Hogzy wrote:
    Tempted to buy the Uigeadail. Is it really better than the Lagavulin 16? The Lag 16 is my favourite scotch hands down. Curious to know how you would differentiate the two?

The Ardbeg tastes like hotdogs being cooked on a barbeque on a beach. Bacon, smoke and brine. Complex and full of layers of flavor. Someone described it like Christmas pudding on fire. Oily with a long sweet treacle finish. At 54% it takes no prisoners either. Probably my favorite Scottish whisky. If you want to try it before you buy message me your address and I'll send you a 30ml sample as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

Tyrconnell Single Malt 43% 34 euro in OBriens my current tipple (like it so much got two bottles)

Cazale wrote:
    Drinking some peated whiskey tonight. Dark Silkie, Ardbeg Uigeadail and Lagavulin 16. Ardbeg the winner by far. Had a glass of Red Earl Irish whiskey too. Even allowing for its young age I thought it was a bit meh.

Continuing the theme I've tried some Bill Phil, Hinch Peated Single Malt, Teeling Blackpitts and Connemara tonight. None of them were too peated. Favorite was Connemara followed by Bill Phil, Teeling Blackpitts and then a distant last was the Hinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    The Ardbeg tastes like hotdogs being cooked on a barbeque on a beach. Bacon, smoke and brine. Complex and full of layers of flavor. Someone described it like Christmas pudding on fire. Oily with a long sweet treacle finish. At 54% it takes no prisoners either. Probably my favorite Scottish whisky. If you want to try it before you buy message me your address and I'll send you a 30ml sample as a gift.

You absolute gent, I'd only be willing to do it though if you'll accept the same in return. I'll PM you now.

Continuing the theme I've tried some Bill Phil, Hinch Peated Single Malt, Teeling Blackpitts and Connemara tonight. None of them were too peated. Favorite was Connemara followed by Bill Phil, Teeling Blackpitts and then a distant last was the Hinch.

Had the Bill Phil Cask strength tonight which I got during the week.Pricey for 50cl,but by God did it need to be watered down.Hard to describe the taste given its strength.7/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

limnam wrote: »
    Where did you get the method and madness ?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/method-madness-sgl-gra-70cl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Ah, I had it in my head Hungarian oak. I know you never mentioned it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I tried E.H. Taylor Single Barrell last night..wow..couldn't drink it at all,and had to pour my glass down the sink.
    Think I'll stick to the Irish and Scottish single malts from here on.

World best bourbon apparently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradjaphe/2020/08/16/the-worlds-best-bourbonaccording-to-the-international-wine-and-spirits-competition/

What was it you didn't like?

At that price it's pretty tempting considering the rave reviews this has gotten on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

At that price it's pretty tempting considering the rave reviews this has gotten on here.

It was my first time having it and I will 100% be buying it again, highly recommended, especially with the sale price.

It was my first time having it and I will 100% be buying it again, highly recommended, especially with the sale price.

Thanks. Think I'm gonna give it a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Went a bit mad today in O'Brien's, got:

Green Spot
    Knappogue Castle 14yo
    Teeling Single Pot Still
    Eagle Rare 10yo

Edit: came to just over €196 with VAT reduction included. The only one of the 4 I have bought before is Green Spot. Might try one of the other 3 tonight.

Had the Bill Phil Cask strength tonight which I got during the week.Pricey for 50cl,but by God did it need to be watered down.Hard to describe the taste given its strength.7/10

I've seen a few people saying that the original Bill Phil at 47.5% was the perfect strength for that whiskey.

Went a bit mad today in O'Brien's, got:

Green Spot
    Knappogue Castle 14yo
    Teeling Single Pot Still
    Eagle Rare 10yo

Edit: came to just over €196 with VAT reduction included. The only one of the 4 I have bought before is Green Spot. Might try one of the other 3 tonight.

Had a taste of the Knappogue 14 a few weeks back. Best out of their 12, 14 and 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had a taste of the Knappogue 14 a few weeks back. Best out of their 12, 14 and 16.

I concur, I got the miniature set of the three in CWS and the 14 was the clear winner for me.
    Strangely I sampled the Knappogue Castle 12 Barolo cask finish and it was even more impressive than the 14.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Drinking some Dungourney 1964 tonight. An amazing whiskey with an amazing story.

Dungourney 1964 Pot Still is from the Old Midleton distillery, distilled in 1964 and bottled in 1994, this 30 Year-Old is a limited edition pot still whiskey presented in an oak presentation box. It is named Dungourney, after the river that had fed the old distillery.

In 1994, the Master Distiller, Barry Crockett, made a rare discovery when making his rounds of casks at the Old Midleton Distillery where his father, Max Crockett, had been Master Distiller. It was a cask not identified on his stock charts. The cask had been laid down 30 years earlier, in 1964, and had escaped enumeration on the commissioning of the new distillery and thus we have Dungourney 1964 Pot Still Whiskey.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I concur, I got the miniature set of the three in CWS and the 14 was the clear winner for me.
    Strangely I sampled the Knappogue Castle 12 Barolo cask finish and it was even more impressive than the 14.

Yeah, it was yourself that prompted me to grab them. As well as considering the 12 Barolo.

Drinking some Dungourney 1964 tonight. An amazing whiskey with an amazing story.

Dungourney 1964 Pot Still is from the Old Midleton distillery, distilled in 1964 and bottled in 1994, this 30 Year-Old is a limited edition pot still whiskey presented in an oak presentation box. It is named Dungourney, after the river that had fed the old distillery.

In 1994, the Master Distiller, Barry Crockett, made a rare discovery when making his rounds of casks at the Old Midleton Distillery where his father, Max Crockett, had been Master Distiller. It was a cask not identified on his stock charts. The cask had been laid down 30 years earlier, in 1964, and had escaped enumeration on the commissioning of the new distillery and thus we have Dungourney 1964 Pot Still Whiskey.

I love and hate your posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Roe & co lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

GY A1 wrote: »
    Roe & co lovely stuff

Went on the tour on Saturday, first time trying their whiskey, one of the better blends out there.

Picked this up this morning: https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/roe-co-irish-whiskey-70cl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Man selling collection of Macallan 18 bought for him as a birthday present every year since 1992. Pretty cool story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-54040307

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A couple of years ago friend of mine was telling me buys a Middleton every year and he has them going back over 10 years. I showed him the price list and it blew his mind. He had 2009 which has appreciated considerably. He sold them in a recent auction and it paid for a heap of work he was doing to his house.

• Advertisement

O'Briens are running a special promotion on Method & Madness:

From September 7th, those who purchase any 700 ml bottle from the METHOD AND MADNESS range in selected O’Briens outlets or from their online store, will be entitled to a special sampling kit. Each one will contain a 50 ml miniature bottle of the METHOD AND MADNESS Single Pot Still, METHOD AND MADNESS Single Grain and METHOD AND MADNESS Single Malt.
    Once you purchase any 700 ml bottle of METHOD AND MADNESS Irish whiskey from the O’Briens online store at www.obrienswine.ie or any of the outlets listed below, you can register for the complimentary sample bottles and tasting. These will be then sent straight to your home.
    Only 100 sample kits are available for the entire promotion so places are strictly limited and it will be available until October 1st. On October 8th, participants will be invited to get their sample bottles ready and join a Zoom tasting at 7pm hosted by prestige whiskey ambassador Gerard Gerland and Larissa Marrichi from Midleton’s micro distillery team.

https://thetaste.ie/wp/method-and-madness-irish-whiskey-and-obriens-announce-tasting-event-promotion-when-knowledge-and-discovery-collide/?goal=0_4ef45a18c7-c516eb395d-188822433&mc_cid=c516eb395d&mc_eid=cb39237d91

O'Briens are running a special promotion on Method & Madness:

From September 7th, those who purchase any 700 ml bottle from the METHOD AND MADNESS range in selected O’Briens outlets or from their online store, will be entitled to a special sampling kit. Each one will contain a 50 ml miniature bottle of the METHOD AND MADNESS Single Pot Still, METHOD AND MADNESS Single Grain and METHOD AND MADNESS Single Malt.
    Once you purchase any 700 ml bottle of METHOD AND MADNESS Irish whiskey from the O’Briens online store at www.obrienswine.ie or any of the outlets listed below, you can register for the complimentary sample bottles and tasting. These will be then sent straight to your home.
    Only 100 sample kits are available for the entire promotion so places are strictly limited and it will be available until October 1st. On October 8th, participants will be invited to get their sample bottles ready and join a Zoom tasting at 7pm hosted by prestige whiskey ambassador Gerard Gerland and Larissa Marrichi from Midleton’s micro distillery team.

https://thetaste.ie/wp/method-and-madness-irish-whiskey-and-obriens-announce-tasting-event-promotion-when-knowledge-and-discovery-collide/?goal=0_4ef45a18c7-c516eb395d-188822433&mc_cid=c516eb395d&mc_eid=cb39237d91

I was just about to come in and say this.

Picked up a bottle of the single grain in O'Briens Lucan earlier and had my name added to the list. They only had 16 spots available and I was no. 12 FYI lads.

Gonna have a wee drop of this later.

Rocks, neat or water? Hmmmmmmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Long time lurker here and with all the talk of Method and Madness, I popped into O Briens today to pick up a bottle. Had a wee drop and it's fantastic. A nice little kick to it and a great after taste. Definitely one I could see myself drinking easily of an evening.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here and with all the talk of Method and Madness, I popped into O Briens today to pick up a bottle. Had a wee drop and it's fantastic. A nice little kick to it and a great after taste. Definitely one I could see myself drinking easily of an evening.

You're not wrong. Opened it there for a drop. Oh my God, it's glorious. Neat too.

Waterford 1st Cuvée Pilgrimage going for over a grand. I wish I had got one!

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/283606/waterford-1st-cuv%C3%A9e-pilgrimage

• Advertisement

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/lot/283606/waterford-1st-cuv%C3%A9e-pilgrimage

I wished I kept my Ratheadon now...

http://coopersofflicence.com/product/waterford-single-farm-origin-ratheadon-irish-single-malt-whisky/

€450.00

Disgraceful.

---

That being said, I really don't. It was worth the drinking.

I wished I kept my Ratheadon now...

http://coopersofflicence.com/product/waterford-single-farm-origin-ratheadon-irish-single-malt-whisky/

€450.00

Disgraceful.

---

That being said, I really don't. It was worth the drinking.

I actually cant believe there are people out there willing to pay that sort of money for a new make whiskey. The Irish whiskey market at present has quite a few hallmarks of a bubble so to speak. I really cant see how sustainable charging such high prices for new make whiskey can be(even RRP for Waterford or some of the stuff JJ Corry are sending out). At the end of the day you need to compare irish whiskey prices to its Scottish counterpart to see what sort of pricing people will put up with when higher aged releases start to come about. If we're paying €75-€80 now for a new make bottle of waterford, what sort of price will be paid for a 12 year release? At present Powers Johns Lane, Redbreast 12 and yellowspot are all either cheaper or the same price as a bottle of waterford, and yes obviously both distilleries are vastly different in terms of their output and industrial scale. But the question still exists, how long more can people be expected to pay these ridiculous prices at retail for Irish Whiskey.

Also, the distilleries will need to look beyond the shores of Ireland to sell their produce in order to see any sort of decent return and do you really think a non enthusiast irish whiskey drinker will pick up a new make Irish for $80-90 when he could have a Lagavulin 16, Macallan 12 etc because at the end of the day, at an international level, thats what youre competing with.

Its just food for thought and something to consider if investing in a cask of whiskey.

EDIT: My motto is buy what you'll enjoy drinking. If the bubble bursts and your collection is worth diddly squat, id rather be sat there drinking a 27yr bottle of Redbreast than a Rathedon.

It was sickly sweet.Given that I had never really had bourbon before, I should have researched more.Anyway,I'll live and learn hopefully.Dont know what to do now with the rest of the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was sickly sweet.Given that I had never really had bourbon before, I should have researched more.Anyway,I'll live and learn hopefully.Dont know what to do now with the rest of the bottle.

Interesting bottles like that im not sure I like but are supposed to be great I tend to wait til a friend wants to sample too

I actually cant believe there are people out there willing to pay that sort of money for a new make whiskey. The Irish whiskey market at present has quite a few hallmarks of a bubble so to speak. I really cant see how sustainable charging such high prices for new make whiskey can be(even RRP for Waterford or some of the stuff JJ Corry are sending out). At the end of the day you need to compare irish whiskey prices to its Scottish counterpart to see what sort of pricing people will put up with when higher aged releases start to come about. If we're paying €75-€80 now for a new make bottle of waterford, what sort of price will be paid for a 12 year release? At present Powers Johns Lane, Redbreast 12 and yellowspot are all either cheaper or the same price as a bottle of waterford, and yes obviously both distilleries are vastly different in terms of their output and industrial scale. But the question still exists, how long more can people be expected to pay these ridiculous prices at retail for Irish Whiskey.

Also, the distilleries will need to look beyond the shores of Ireland to sell their produce in order to see any sort of decent return and do you really think a non enthusiast irish whiskey drinker will pick up a new make Irish for $80-90 when he could have a Lagavulin 16, Macallan 12 etc because at the end of the day, at an international level, thats what youre competing with.

Its just food for thought and something to consider if investing in a cask of whiskey.

EDIT: My motto is buy what you'll enjoy drinking. If the bubble bursts and your collection is worth diddly squat, id rather be sat there drinking a 27yr bottle of Redbreast than a Rathedon.

Absolutely spot on and it's exactly how I feel about it.

The "bubble" as you call it is even bringing the bottom shelf whiskeys up in price. I mean, seeing Jameson et al for 28-30euro on the regular is an indictment to how it's gone.

You can even see the fact that other Waterfords' are remaining on shelves the last few weeks, that they are certainly not gonna go the same way as the early releases.

Make it into some Old Fashioned's

Cazale wrote:

Went for 1,100 pound which when you add on the 10% buyers commission works out at over 1,350 euro for the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Happy days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Absolutely spot on and it's exactly how I feel about it.

The "bubble" as you call it is even bringing the bottom shelf whiskeys up in price. I mean, seeing Jameson et al for 28-30euro on the regular is an indictment to how it's gone.

You can even see the fact that other Waterfords' are remaining on shelves the last few weeks, that they are certainly not gonna go the same way as the early releases.

I agree with this to a very large extent. Distilleries are really chancing their arm (price-wise) on new whiskeys. That said, I'll try anything once, but if I don't like it, I just won't buy it again.

Of the newer whiskeys, I think Roe & Co is a cracker. It's also great value compared to, say, RB12 (which I also love). There's good & bad to be found.

Hogzy wrote:

Agree 100%. Here is a review of an Irish Whiskey I saw on masters of malt which sums it up.

Another distinctly average new Irish Whiskey

There seems to be so many new Irish Whiskey brands around at the moment so after getting myself a mixed sample set of some from MOM i have to say i am underwhelmed by the majority of them. They all seem to taste like they have been sourced from the same distillery who have provided young and raw tasting grain, malt and pot still. Think i will stick to the established and proven brands until some of these new ones come of age and start producing their own liquid and there is a danger that this new dawn of Irish whiskey is a false one until something a little more exciting comes along. So sorry Tipperary/Hyde/Quiet man/Egan's/West Cork i will be staying with the Midleton, Teeling and Bushmills for my Irish for now! seems only Waterford have approached things from a different angle and actually released liquid of their own instead of just repackaging the same old Cooley stock?

• Advertisement

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Of the newer whiskeys, I think Roe & Co is a cracker. It's also great value compared to, say, RB12 (which I also love). There's good & bad to be found.

The Roe and Co Curators series is €50 in CWS. I like basic Roe and Co but thought this was a big step up in quality.

Rew wrote:
    A couple of years ago friend of mine was telling me buys a Middleton every year and he has them going back over 10 years. I showed him the price list and it blew his mind. He had 2009 which has appreciated considerably. He sold them in a recent auction and it paid for a heap of work he was doing to his house.

We had a baby girl this year and I'm going to buy a Midleton for each of her birthdays until she is 21. I was talking to a fella who runs a whiskey auction and he was saying that they are the best investment. Brands like Dingle/JJ Corry have seen big prices but they level out once they release so many. He thinks the same will happen to Waterford. If it doesn't work out at least I'll have a load of bottles of midleton to drink!

Anyone tried the Jameson Crested x Eight Degrees Brewing edition?

We had a baby girl this year and I'm going to buy a Midleton for each of her birthdays until she is 21. I was talking to a fella who runs a whiskey auction and he was saying that they are the best investment. Brands like Dingle/JJ Corry have seen big prices but they level out once they release so many. He thinks the same will happen to Waterford. If it doesn't work out at least I'll have a load of bottles of midleton to drink!

But if we all do this then there's a glut in 2 decades? Hmmm...

I was thinking the same when I saw the Macallan story a few weeks back.

Now which Midleton edition to buy...

Anyone tried the Jameson Crested x Eight Degrees Brewing edition?

No, where can you get it! Caskmates Stout is lovely and Crested is even nicer so I can only imagine what the two together would be like.

Cant see anything in the usual stores.
    But if we all do this then there's a glut in 2 decades? Hmmm...

I was thinking the same when I saw the Macallan story a few weeks back.

Now which Midleton edition to buy...

Iv been doing this the last 3 years and quite a few friends who have little to no interest in whiskey seem to be doing the same. It appears to be quite common practice now but you then gotta ask yourself how many people will actually continue to do it for 18/21/25yrs etc.

You might see a better return collecting something a little less obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Roe and Co Curators series is €50 in CWS. I like basic Roe and Co but thought this was a big step up in quality.

I tried them all at the distillery and decided to pick up a curator’s series at the airport. In my rush on the day I didn’t buy it. Regrets.

Birthday today. Added a Glenfiddich 12 to the collection. Will add a few more by the weekend.

No, where can you get it! Caskmates Stout is lovely and Crested is even nicer so I can only imagine what the two together would be like.

Cant see anything in the usual stores.

Just seen it's exclusive to Midleton, Bow Street & Terminal 2 in the airport.

According to Twitter it'll be available on the Jameson online store in the coming weeks, €45.

Just seen it's exclusive to Midleton, Bow Street & Terminal 2 in the airport.

According to Twitter it'll be available on the Jameson online store in the coming weeks, €45.

Cant see anything on the Jameson twitter page. Is it for sale to the general public?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cant see anything on the Jameson twitter page. Is it for sale to the general public?

https://twitter.com/Timothyoc/status/1301629529866240000

Hopefully getting a bottle picked up for myself today. Big fan of beer cask aged whiskey.

• Advertisement

Gonna head to the Distillery in Midleton and buy a bottle. Ill be heading back up the M8/M7 to Dublin if anyone isnt near Midleton/Bow Street and wants me to pick them up a bottle and meet them on the motorway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement