Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ordering the christmas whiskey now. Already have the rum.

Yellow Spot or Green Spot Château Léoville Barton?

Though I see that these have been passed over by the Irish Whiskey awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Ordering the christmas whiskey now. Already have the rum.

Been discussed a few pages back:

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Depends what you want. Yellow spot isn't any better than green spot imo, it's a different dram with a different pallette.

It's a bit heavier than greenapot, more robust, a bit spicier, has more wood in the taste and is sweeter with Christmas fruits.

green is lighter with more fresh summer fruits like apple or peach, much less wood.

I could drink a lot more Greenspot in a single sitting than yellowspot, not because one is better, but because yellow is just richer & heavier. but that's just me.

Id only add that Greenspot CLB is even more floral or botanical to my taste than standard greenspot, which is a little rounder, and more "pot still'y".

None are better than the others, it depends what your preferences are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Green Spot Château Léoville Barton won worlds best pot still this year in the world whisky awards. I wouldn't let this sway you one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Going to New York in a few weeks. Anyone any recommendations for spots to get good whiskey at good prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

After all my to-ing and fro-ing I got the Redbreast Lustau, it's a bit stronger than the ordinary 12yo, but it's smoother to drink and the sherry def doesn't overpower it. Well worth a try instead if the normal 12yo.
    Will wait until next month for my next purchase, perhaps see if somebody will gift me the 21yo as was suggested here earlier ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Redbreast in Sainsburys (Craigavon) £31.... Not a bad price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

I too craked open a Lustau last week, new to whiskey really, but enjoyed it, will be buying probably yellow spot before christmas too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

picachu wrote: »

:eek: Thank god I'm in Cork, I'd buy a car full at that price, £31 is silly cheap for Redbreast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you tried the Lustau?

I have yes, see my post a few pages back.

limnam wrote: »
    Everyone will tell you something different.

IMHO. The 12yo you normally drink is far superior to the 15yo.

The only jump worth going for in the RB range is the 21yr old but it's a massive jump price wise. Try con someone into buying it as a present :pac:

Sorry but can't agree with this at all. The 15YO is far superior to the 12. I don't understand how you think the drink with get worse with 3 extra years of aging, then somehow get better again when aged to 21 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

adrian522 wrote: »

Sorry but can't agree with this at all. The 15YO is far superior to the 12. I don't understand how you think the drink with get worse with 3 extra years of aging, then somehow get better again when aged to 21 years?

Horses for courses.

I like Glenfiddich, but I find the 12yr a lot nicer than the 15yr.

And although the 18yr is an excellent whisky, I think the 12 is better value, so I always buy the 12.

By the way. Did I say that I don't like Glenfiddich 15.

Whisky is to be enjoyed however you like it. And people have different tastes.
    There is no wrong way to drink whisky.

(Unless you mix an expensive flavourful dram with a soft drink)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

pa990 wrote: »
    Horses for courses.

I like Glenfiddich, but I find the 12yr a lot nicer than the 15yr.

Bingo - I personally find black bush a much nicer drink than bushmills 16.
    blackbush isnt even a malt, its blended with about 40% column still grain whiskey too, yet its still miles ahead of the 16, IMO. Its also a third of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

adrian522 wrote: »

As you'll see from an updated post I retracted the statement. It's not that it's *worse* I just prefer it at 12YO and I don't feel at 15YO much is brought to it that I'm willing to pay for. The 21YO on the other hand brings a whole new dimension to it and is something I am willing to pay for.

As I also mentioned, everyone will tell you something different. It's the great thing about wine, whiskey....beer. Everyone of us has a different opinion and everyone is right. You can't disagree with what I taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

picachu wrote: »

I have highlighted this price before, on other threads.

It's a great deal, I'm surprised it's still available.

Asda increased from 36 to 40 a year or two ago.

The weaker GBP post Brexit will increase import costs into the UK, so I can't see this 31 GBP being available for long.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote: »
    Was working in Midleton today and was given a bottle of Crested Ten, one of the last produced before they changed the brand (and recipe) to Crested.
    Stored away for a wee while!
    jh79 wrote: »
    According to the whiskey exchange it's the same .
    kbannon wrote: »
    According to my source, it's slightly different. Eventually I'll try the two together to compare but I'll keep this one sealed for a while.

I spoke with another (more senior) source down there today. My previous source was incorrect!
    Still, I'm enjoying the new branding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

FYI

Amazon Black Friday deals on whisky can be delivered thru Parcel Motel / Parcel Wizard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Parcel Motel's T&C's specifically state they prohibit their service to be used for Alcohol. You may get lucky but note you may also not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And unless you check carefully, chances are that it's liable for Irish excise duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

FYI

Amazon Black Friday deals on whisky can be delivered thru Parcel Motel / Parcel Wizard.

If it's not marked as booze you might get away with it but parcel motel would be in a legal pickle themselves if they were caught moving alcohol across the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

FYI

I've been stung before, after not checking the T&Cs. My booze ended up in the hands of Revenue down at the docks, and I had to go down to collect it, after paying customs and excise fees. Ended up costing me more than it would have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I mainly use ParcelWizard these days. I have done it with ParcelMotel but that was a couple years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Got a bottle of Benromach 5 yr old to tide me over while I decide what Irish to go for. Wow, great stuff, oily mouth feel, slight zest, caramel, wisp of smoke, subtly warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Tallinn, where the usual measure is 40ml. Ordered a Talisker.

Barmaid pours the 40 and realises there probably isn't another in the bottle. Tips the lot in to mine. 6.20.

Haven't found this a cheap city (more reasonable than anything) until now but that's a nice boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

For anyone in Portugal 8-) this week the Pingo Doce Supermarket chain are offering a 25% discount on all of their Whiskey's!
    Discount valid till 5th December while stocks last.

402710.jpg402711.jpg
    MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Writers Tears mostly.

Just got a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail for Christmas.

Saving Hibiki 17 for a special occasion.

Has anyone bought from the UK sites like Masters of Malt? Green Spot €40. Would you have to pay tax on that?

Edit: Nevermind
    I've been stung before, after not checking the T&Cs. My booze ended up in the hands of Revenue down at the docks, and I had to go down to collect it, after paying customs and excise fees. Ended up costing me more than it would have here.

And where would people usually buy their whiskey? O'Briens seems to be good. Celtic Whiskey Shop seems pricier. Surprisingly my local Fresh supermarket always sell a couple of quid below. Green Spot €57. Nikka from the Barrel €42. Few others.

Looking for a recommendation for the prospective father in law. He's a regular Maker's Mark drinker and we like to get him a premium (in comparison to MM) at Christmas. Last year we got him Town Branch and he loved it. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

AsianDub wrote: »

Has anyone bought from the UK sites like Masters of Malt? Green Spot €40. Would you have to pay tax on that?

got some stuff from MoM a couple of weeks ago.
    first time ordering from them.
    I believe they are legit / semi-legit, * but anyway, I got my order.
    Ordered on Sun, delivered on Thurs.

Had an order from Belgium seized by customs last year, if that happens you don't get option to pay taxes and get it back. Well, I didn't

* in a tax compliant shipping booze to Ireland way

Of course MoM are legit. In what way wouldn't they be?

Looking for a recommendation for the prospective father in law. He's a regular Maker's Mark drinker and we like to get him a premium (in comparison to MM) at Christmas. Last year we got him Town Branch and he loved it. Any thoughts?

MM have a new "Makers Mark 46" out, might be worth while, if you can pick one up.
    I don't think many bourbon drinkers would refuse an Eagle Rare 10 yo.

Of course MoM are legit. In what way wouldn't they be?

Not being an expert on Irish customs and excise, I'm not going to say any online booze site is 100% legit *, because I know pain of a seized order

* in a tax compliant shipping booze to Ireland way

• Advertisement

Not being an expert on Irish customs and excise, I'm not going to say any online booze site is 100% legit, because I know pain of a seized order

They're a legitimate site. They're based in the UK. The fact there are laws and regulations around the importing of alcohol doesn't delegitimise the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement