Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Or 11.20...

528530.jpg

528531.jpg

Not bad presentation for a freebie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

actuar90 wrote: »
    Got mine too but no link, have the dial in details been sent out yet?

They send it on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Pulled the trigger on a bottle of Killowen rum ... Not a whisky in a rum finish... Actual solera method rum from Killowen. Too unusual to pass up the chance to try.

(Ah - it has its own thread... Apologies. I know this is the whisky thread but I thought it was the place where people would be most familiar with Killowen and appreciate how unusual this is..)

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Received my Japanese whiskey set from CWS , looking forward as never tasted a Japanese whiskey before.
    actuar90 wrote: »
    Got mine too but no link, have the dial in details been sent out yet?
    They send it on the day.

On that. What date is the tasting?

Pulled the trigger on a bottle of Killowen rum ... Not a whisky in a rum finish... Actual solera method rum from Killowen. Too unusual to pass up the chance to try.

(Ah - it has its own thread... Apologies. I know this is the whisky thread but I thought it was the place where people would be most familiar with Killowen and appreciate how unusual this is..)

Absolutely this is the right place to throw that in. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

On that. What date is the tasting?

Tomorrow. I think - I've so many tastings lined up I can't keep track!

So I have two tastings tomorrow? Sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Absolutely this is the right place to throw that in. Cheers.

100%. Anything relating to whiskey, distilleries other product and stuff like barrel aged beers etc should be open for discussion here. Killowen are releasing their own rum and then they are using those rum casks to age their whiskey in.

Teelings use malt from Scotland too. They say they couldn't source enough of it here. (I asked on the distillery tour).

Some Scottish distillers are using Danish, English or German barley due to lack of supply.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    100%. Anything relating to whiskey, distilleries other product and stuff like barrel aged beers etc should be open for discussion here. Killowen are releasing their own rum and then they are using those rum casks to age their whiskey in.

Now to find a bottle of rum...

So I have two tastings tomorrow? Sake.

You can add in my WhiskeyMe Nc'Nean tasting now for next Thursday which has just despatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was looking at it and reckoned the price was outrageous especially considering its a 50cl bottle. Other Dark Rum from a decent distilleries is half that price in a 70cl bottle.

But I see now its sold out, so maybe it wasn't expensive enough!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

But, but, but... It has its own thread.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L Mulligans running an online tasting for Gelstons, Friday 23rd October.

It says free shipping, but it's actually €33 + €4 shipping... they seem incapable of fixing that :(
    • 5 year old sherry matured
    • 10 year old bourbon matured
    • 15 year old sherry matured
    • 26 year old single malt
    • Single Pot Still
    • Single Pot Still Pinot Noir finish
    • Samples are 15mls usually.

https://www.lmulliganwhiskeyshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=gte

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I think it was mainly Scottish based on comments on a previous Zoom tasting session I did with Teelings.
    Teelings use malt from Scotland too. They say they couldn't source enough of it here. (I asked on the distillery tour).

Thanks for that info. There must be an opening in the market here. I know Scottish peated malt is exported to places like India and Australia for peated whiskey production there. Maybe I’m being parochial or patriotic but hopefully the abundant bogs of Ireland might in future be used in production of Irish whiskey. Sure, what else would Bord na Móna be doing nowadays :)

• Advertisement

1901Rory wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. There must be an opening in the market here. I know Scottish peated malt is exported to places like India and Australia for peated whiskey production there. Maybe I’m being parochial or patriotic but hopefully the abundant bogs of Ireland might in future be used in production of Irish whiskey. Sure, what else would Bord na Móna be doing nowadays :)

Re-wilding our bogs actually. Irish peat is going to be a thing of the past. Big project for example starting in Boora in Offaly flooding and re-wilding the area again.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    L Mulligans running an online tasting for Gelstons, Friday 23rd October.

Gelstons is all Bushmills stock I think.

Swapping some Uigeadail for a sample of Corryvreckan with a friend. The missus knows nothing about whiskey but she came into me and asked had I been pouring Ardbeg in the kitchen earlier. Such a unique smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Does anyone know if Aldi/lidl have a whiskey release planned for Xmas (similar to the 12 Yr old from aldi last year)

Feel free to move if posted in the wrong forum.

Many thanks.

Just copped that the M&M tasting is at 7pm and the Kurayoshi is at 8pm and the match is at 745pm.

It might be best to be ballixed for that tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Just copped that the M&M tasting is at 7pm and the Kurayoshi is at 8pm and the match is at 745pm.

It might be best to be ballixed for that tbf.

I thought the Kurayoshi was a great tasting.
    The first few samples were a bit subtle for my taste but amazing how smooth and subtle they were especially for 3/4 year old whiskies. Much more impressed by them than say the Waterford releases.
    The Mizunara finish was very different and a clear runaway winner for me, again amazing given its a young whiskey.
    The 18 old was a another lovely and quite different whiskey but with a price to match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Looking at a few Japanese whiskeys and trying to decide which bottle to get. Picking up Nikka From the Barrel anyway, but have room for another. Have people any thoughts on the Nikka Single Malts, one from Yoichi and the other from Miyagikyo. Probably prefer the later as it's less peated.
    I could also just go for the cheaper Coffey Malt or Grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

https://www.ft.com/content/3926e3bf-352b-4c47-8acb-d9b47dfa11cb

Well here comes the whiskey price crash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/silicon-valley-start-up-launches-nespresso-machine-for-whisky-1.4374413

Same article in the times earlier this week. Wouldn't hold my breath to be honest, even with the blind taste tests mentioned I still think traditionalists will look down on anything on the market produced using that method.

That article is behind a paywall so can't be read without subscription it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/silicon-valley-start-up-launches-nespresso-machine-for-whisky-1.4374413

Same article in the times earlier this week. Wouldn't hold my breath to be honest, even with the blind taste tests mentioned I still think traditionalists will look down on anything on the market produced using that method.

Yea i do agree, but we had traditionalists 10+ years ago when prices weren't insane.

Ah, a "disruptor".

Effects wrote: »
    Looking at a few Japanese whiskeys and trying to decide which bottle to get. Picking up Nikka From the Barrel anyway, but have room for another. Have people any thoughts on the Nikka Single Malts, one from Yoichi and the other from Miyagikyo. Probably prefer the later as it's less peated.
    I could also just go for the cheaper Coffey Malt or Grain.

Went for Nikka From the Barrel and Nikka Coffey Malt.
    I was able to sample the Coffey Grain, Coffey Malt, SM Miyagikyo and 12 Year Old Nikka.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

https://www.proudirishwhiskey.com/

Popped up on my Instagram, anyone know much about them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

https://www.proudirishwhiskey.com/

Popped up on my Instagram, anyone know much about them?

When the word "Irish" or "Ireland" appears on the front label 9 times it suggests to me that this isnt great. Not only that but the address of the company appears to be an Auditors/accountants firm in Kimmage and its distributed by an Italian company. Its not exactly screaming quality to me to be honest.

Id say its someone who bought super cheap whiskey in bulk and is reselling it to try offload it at a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hogzy wrote: »
    When the word "Irish" or "Ireland" appears on the front label 9 times it suggests to me that this isnt great. Not only that but the address of the company appears to be an Auditors/accountants firm in Kimmage and its distributed by an Italian company. Its not exactly screaming quality to me to be honest.

Id say its someone who bought super cheap whiskey in bulk and is reselling it to try offload it at a profit.

Branding is awful. Looks like what you'd expect to find behind the counter of a cafe on the continent for making Irish coffees.

Image of the stills there is from Great North Distillery so I'm guessing that's where the liquid has come from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The stills depicted are Tullibardine and a distillery somewhere in Austria. Seems legit.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The stills depicted are Tullibardine and a distillery somewhere in Austria. Seems legit.

More stills then. The background image at "the story of our whiskey" definitely looks like Dundalk to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ah, a "disruptor".

Anyone remember the JuicePress "disruptor", feels like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    More stills then. The background image at "the story of our whiskey" definitely looks like Dundalk to me.
    They're not stills! Who the hell put you in charge of this forum? ;) And yes, that's Dundalk for definite.

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're not stills! Who the hell put you in charge of this forum? ;) And yes, that's Dundalk for definite.

The shame. :o:o

Rew wrote: »
    Anyone remember the JuicePress "disruptor", feels like that.

Juicero?

That was gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Italian spirits firm

https://www.polinigroup.com/en/the-brands/

Never heard of any of them. Presumably all rebadged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 y/o tomorrow. Haven't had it before. How does it compare to Roe & Co, which is a similar price in Tesco at the moment?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 y/o tomorrow. Haven't had it before. How does it compare to Roe & Co, which is a similar price in Tesco at the moment?

Its quite different, its a blended Scotch, wisp of smokiness, quite decent for what it is. Main competitor is Johnnie Walker Black

Only similarity to Roe is that they're both whisk[e]ys, really. I'd buy the Chivas for drinking neat/with ice but probably the Roe if you intend to mix it; everyones tastes are different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll probably be drinking it neat. Might get one tomorrow and the other next week if prices are staying down for a bit in the supermarket. I'm having a drop of Teeling single malt tonight and feeling like I should support Irish more often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hmmmm maybe the Tesco Finest Single Malt(with the irish distiller Brendan Coakley's endorsement) is worth the extra euro or two over the Sexton at 33(vs 34.51?) ...second time drinking it and its distinctive and quality stuff .The Sexton is 'boosted Blackbush' but this stuff has (admittedly very faint) hints of the supreme Irish whiskey 250/260 euro Barry Crockett with that magical mandarin mouthfeel (is how a complete noob describes it !)(also available for much less in JJ Corry The Gael 2).Then again I am enjoying this 'at the right time of the day' and with the right appetite /palatte .I find whiskey tastes best on an empty stomach especially after a long fast(Ralfy on Youtube recommends trying 24hrs !) ,its worst when 'full'/bloated straight after a meal.
    The search for the best affordable whiskey continues ,I guess Blackbush at 26euro would be a solid daily desert island drink but sometimes the 30 something euro range strike the best bang for buck balance

Barry Crockett is pot still so there wouldn't often be that many similarities to a single malt

It's probably going to be Cooley or Bushmills in origin, I'll guess Cooley

L1011 wrote: »
    Barry Crockett is pot still so there wouldn't often be that many similarities to a single malt

It's probably going to be Cooley or Bushmills in origin, I'll guess Cooley

Id agree ,its finished in PX barrels ,the gent named on bottle is decribed as a 'caskmaster'.

Bottle kill tonight of some Powers John Lane.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna tap into the rest of the Method and Madness Single Malt and the Pot Still from the tasting on Thursday. College assignment is stopping me just yet...

Bottle kill tonight of some Powers John Lane.

Second best of the pot stills minis quartet after the Barry Crockett for me although way ahead of the Greenspot and Redbreast .

2011abc wrote:
    Second best of the pot stills minis quartet after the Barry Crockett for me although way ahead of the Greenspot and Redbreast .

It's one of my favourites. I'll have to get another bottle. Drinking some An Dúlamán Santa Ana Armada Strength Gin now from Sliabh Liag Distillers. Drinking it neat and at 57% it's one for sipping slowly. Lovely stuff.

It says it all when you can sip a gin or vodka neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Hats off.Anything over 46% ,and I seem to need a fair drop of water to open her up a bit.( presumably whiskey is feminine?)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement