Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

Slattsy wrote: »
    For an Irish whiskey it's smashing.

Ludicrous price for a non single malt imo.
    Single malt Irish whiskeys are World leaders, the blended stuff is a different product altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Augeo wrote: »
    Ludicrous price for a non single malt imo.
    Single malt Irish whiskeys are World leaders, the blended stuff is a different product altogether.

Jameson Gold reserve is a very nice blended whisky

Indeed, I just found the "For an Irish whiskey it's smashing" comment strange.
    For a blended whiskey it mighn't be bad but for the price it'd want to be and some of the best single malts are Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, I just found the "For an Irish whiskey it's smashing" comment strange.
    For a blended whiskey it mighn't be bad but for the price it'd want to be and some of the best single malts are Irish.

I see your point. But I'd have it over a lot of stuff here. I genuinely thought it was smashing.
    I'm all about value in my bottles, but I'll pay for something I like.

I tried two of the Method and Madness whiskeys last night. A bit meh. You'd be mad to pay 80e imho for the single malt. I think you're paying for the glass bottle itself, it's class though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Slattsy wrote: »
    Really? I thought I seen that for 100e somewhere.

Or maybe I was licking frogs!

Yep, I've seen it for 125 and 200 in certain places recently enough.
    68 is a great price. And the 10 of 50 spend vouchers make it even sweeter.

I'm really liking it, starting to overtake my previous go to bottle of green spot...

• Advertisement

Anyone come across this before?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

BeerNut wrote: »

That's mad, how much does a bottle typically cost?

€183.99 in Celtic Whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

When you say "come across" the Redbreast, what do you mean? It's not difficult to find if that's what your after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

BeerNut wrote: »

The original Tweet is from 2015 so i'm not expecting to get the full story, but how did this happen, did he/she not have it in a sealed duty free bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Even if something's sealed you cannot bring it back through security. I'd imagine if this person had it sealed, they bought it in another airport, had a connecting flight that wasn't on the same ticket therefore had to go out to pick up their bags and go through security again.

If they just thought they could buy in a store and carry it on well more fool them.

The original Tweet is from 2015 so i'm not expecting to get the full story, but how did this happen, did he/she not have it in a sealed duty free bag?
    It was two days after Redbreast 21 won the top prize at the Irish Whiskey Awards for the second year running. The guy was American and I suspect he was some sort of drinks industry exec in town for the awards and had picked up or been given the bottle without thinking he was travelling without luggage. It wasn't in a bag. He had just come up to security like everyone else, and it was taken from him like it was a water bottle, after the security guy had taken it out of the box. I think he was offered the box back. He honestly didn't seem too upset by it, leading me to think he either got the bottle free or is incredibly wealthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The DAA officer must have had a great night that night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What's a good price on Redbreast? I see it at €62.70 in Tesco. It's rarely discounted unless you have a loyalty card voucher i notice.

I think approx 60 in DS, so 48 after voucher, assuming you optimise the use of the vouchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The DAA officer must have had a great night that night :D

Probably diluted it with coke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Picked up a 12 yo red breast, 57%. Should I sip as is or with a drop of water due to strength?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Try it without, if its a little strong, add in a few drops of water. If still not right, add in a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Picked up a 12 yo red breast, 57%. Should I sip as is or with a drop of water due to strength?

Lucky, I'm hoping to order a bottle next month. From the research I've done it seems to be a 'must have'. A few drops of water are advised to open it up. Check out some reviews on youtube.

It's quite strong neat, a wee drop of water really open it up and takes the sharp edge off.

I must admit that it took me a while to come around to it. It was one of the first proper bottles that I bought for my collection and when tasting it first I was not really a fan.
    However after a few months of educating my palate ( :D ) I went back to it, and it's a real treat. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mik_da_man wrote: »
    It's quite strong neat, a wee drop of water really open it up and takes the sharp edge off.

I must admit that it took me a while to come around to it. It was one of the first proper bottles that I bought for my collection and when tasting it first I was not really a fan.
    However after a few months of educating my palate ( :D ) I went back to it, and it's a real treat. Enjoy!

Hows your collection coming along mate. Whats in the cupboard these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Lucky, I'm hoping to order a bottle next month. From the research I've done it seems to be a 'must have'. A few drops of water are advised to open it up. Check out some reviews on youtube.

Try a minute in the glass for a year in the cask.

brinty wrote: »
    Hows your collection coming along mate. Whats in the cupboard these days?

Very good now - Probably a bit too good tbh!! I've been doing a lot of travelling with work so frequented a lot of Duty Free

Have a good selection of the Midleton Produced Stuff like Midleton, A LOT of Jameson, Green/Yellow Spot, Powers Johns Lane, Few Redbreast

Also Have a couple of Bushmills. The Steamship being my favourite

And then ventured into the whisky side of things, have a Jura, Glenmoriage, Bowmore, but my favorite is Balvenie 12 triple cask.

Very good now - Probably a bit too good tbh!! I've been doing a lot of travelling with work so frequented a lot of Duty Free

Have a good selection of the Midleton Produced Stuff like Midleton, A LOT of Jameson, Green/Yellow Spot, Powers Johns Lane, Few Redbreast

Also Have a couple of Bushmills. The Steamship being my favourite

And then ventured into the whisky side of things, have a Jura, Glenmoriage, Bowmore, but my favorite is Balvenie 12 triple cask.

I purpose the venue for the first annual 'What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month' conference to be Miks house.

Great stuff mate,so ling as you enjoy that's the main thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Picked up a bottle of Midleton Very Rare 2016 in Beijing Duty Free. €97. Just in case anyone's passing...

Picked up a bottle of Midleton Very Rare 2016 in Beijing Duty Free. €97. Just in case anyone's passing...

i'll give you my shipping address in PM ;)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Beats the €118 I paid on Irish Ferries for a bottle - good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Quackster wrote: »
    Beats the €118 I paid on Irish Ferries for a bottle - good stuff!

What route was that ? I'll be travelling to pembrooke soon with irish ferries.

Did they have many bargains?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mikeecho wrote: »
    What route was that ? I'll be travelling to pembrooke soon with irish ferries.

Did they have many bargains?

Dublin-Holyhead. Should also be available on Rosslare-Pembroke as it was last year when I was last on that route. Not a huge selection but they sell at duty-free prices so pretty much everything is a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was passing through Ayrshire last weekend and stopped into the Whisky Shop in Kirkoswald. Rushed visit as we were in the way to catch a ferry and could have spent all day there.

Anyway picked up a bottle of their own single malt, "malt 7". It's a young whisky (8 years old), uncoloured and chill filtered. Finished in Chardonnay casks. Very nice I have to say.

Not a very clear shot... but my sister in law just sent me this from Embra.....if you had the cash...would you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

BobMc wrote: »
    I enjoy Black Barrell too, especially if you get a deal on it, just finished a bottle the other day

It's also won best Irish blended at the world whisky awards.

Good going for the price point.

limnam wrote: »
    It's also won best Irish blended at the world whisky awards.

Good going for the price point.

Finished my bottle last week, must purchase another on hols.
    I enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Anybody been throught belfast int? Good selection? Flying to canaries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Finally got to sample Powers John's Lane 12 year old a few nights ago. Gorgeous. Went down far too easily. Was surprised to find out it retails for ~€64.

This time last month I got to try Writer's Tears. It burned. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Just finish an Irishman single malt, which i thought was very nice.

I got a Tullamore Dew 10yo for my birthday, that'll be the next one to be opened.

I'm feeling sentimental about the drop of crested ten in the old brand bottle, hard to finish it off.

And has anyone picked up anything interesting in the airport in Porto?

Finally got to sample Powers John's Lane 12 year old a few nights ago. Gorgeous. Went down far too easily. Was surprised to find out it retails for ~€64.

This time last month I got to try Writer's Tears. It burned. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Went back to my bottle of Powers John's Lane 12 this weekend, it's a lovely drop. I had it years ago at a whiskey tasting, not sure why it took me so long to buy a bottle!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Went back to my bottle of Powers John's Lane 12 this weekend, it's a lovely drop. I had it years ago at a whiskey tasting, not sure why it took me so long to buy a bottle!!

I'd seen it mentioned so many times on this forum that I assumed it was up there with the likes of Middleton in terms of price.

I have a Jameson Black Barrel, a Yellow Spot, a Red Breast 12, a Teeling single malt, some Laphroaig, and a bottle of Jack Daniels in my collection at the moment. Might add to that soon.

Tis my old birthday today and Ms Brinty was very kind and bought me a nice Killarney Crystal set of four glasses and decanter. Think i might mosey on into the Celtic Whiskey shop and pick up a bottle of something for the decanter....

what to get though!!!!!

not that i don't have enough already although my Aberlour 10 is dow to its last dram and i'm putting a serious dent in the Redbreast 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I won a bottle of West Cork Distillers Black Cask recently. Finished the bottle the other night.
    Have to say, it was a winner for me. Only 36euro retail afaik, and good value at that. I'll definitely get it again.

On a not completely unrelated topic, I visited the Bushmills Distillery the other week. What a great tour! You see the whole process from grain to bottle (bottling plant on site). In that regard, it beats the Jameson and Teeling tours.
    For £8 per ticket, it's a bargain also. Well worth it if you're in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Tis my old birthday today and Ms Brinty was very kind and bought me a nice Killarney Crystal set of four glasses and decanter. Think i might mosey on into the Celtic Whiskey shop and pick up a bottle of something for the decanter....

Might be worth a read: http://scotchaddict.com/are-leaded-crystal-decanters-dangerous.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

what to get though!!!!!

not that i don't have enough already although my Aberlour 10 is dow to its last dram and i'm putting a serious dent in the Redbreast 12

Aberlour 10 is such good value, tried the 12 recently and much preferred the 10.

Don't let them sell you any of the newer offerings in terms of recently opened distilleries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

what to get though!!!!!

Crystal decanters should only be used for stuff you drink quickly - so something cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

L1011 wrote:
    Crystal decanters should only be used for stuff you drink quickly - so something cheap enough.

Is that personal preference or is there something more behind it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The lead within the crystal leaches into the liquid...
    http://scotchaddict.com/are-leaded-crystal-decanters-dangerous.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Anyone with Scotch recommendations from any of the Northern multiples?

I've finished a glenfiddich 12 that I got for Christmas, and was a bit underwhelmed.

I normally drink Irish (Green and yellow spot, redbreast, and I too have polished off a black barrel recently), so not sure if I should dive right into the peaty ones yet.

G rock wrote: »

I've finished a glenfiddich 12 that I got for Christmas, and was a bit underwhelmed.

I normally drink Irish (Green and yellow spot, redbreast, and I too have polished off a black barrel recently), so not sure if I should dive right into the peaty ones yet.

The northern multiples have any amount of scotch that you want. I'd try and avoid the blended and go for the single malts. I've forgotten most of the scotch i have at this stage

If you're new to scotch look for Speyside single malts (cardhu, Aberlour, auchentoshan) they're similar to Irish. You'll also get Irish at lower prices than here so stock up. Might get redbreast on the cheap but i haven't seen green or yellow spot up there yet.

Happy shoppping and let us know what you got and where?

G rock wrote: »

Try Tallisker...it's easy to get, a high 40 euro mark and you won't be disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

On my kilbeggan. Third bottle of it I got on special from supervalu for 19 euro...ya know I think I prefer it to jameson now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement