Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hi guys, don't suppose anyone knows anywhere with the 2020 Midleton Very Rare still in stock do they? Preferably Dublin or online. Wasn't organised enough this year and seems I may have missed the boat, just phoned round loads of offies to no avail

Cheers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cazale wrote: »
    Big fan of peat and have enjoyed any Octomore I've tried. I have that tasting pack but didn't join in as I was doing a Fercullen tasting last night. Think it would be too much drinking them one after another. I'll spread them out over a few nights.

Yeah, that's a fair point, probably better to space them out a bit. I'm normally a big peat fan in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You may think this is sacrilege, sacrilicious or a long lost family reunion - on the assumption some of the Roe & Co stock comes from Bushmills - but...
    I am really liking a house blend medley of 2/3 Bushmills white to 1/3 Roe & Co.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

2011abc wrote: »
    Id be curious to know if my description of Barry Crockett as "Mandarin flavoured , angel wing feather lightness on the tongue" is anywhere in the ballpark .

I’d second that re Barry Crockett. I noted ‘Orange’ taste which is close enough :D
    The Dair Ghaelach is another gem of a whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Might have been posted already, but if you are in Galway, Joyces have Jameson for 20quid a bottle, 25quid for Caskmates (and a few others at similar price points).

joyces.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That makes me feel a wee bit better that I got that 2018 for 130.

I got the 2016 for about €95. In Beijing duty free of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

This thread is after killing me again. I've done some reading up on jj Corry and now the Gael is on the list. In fairness I think it's bumped waterford off. I'll wait for that to get a bit older

Also makes me think there's nothing wrong with bonding just to be open and honest about it

janiejones wrote: »
    This thread is after killing me again. I've done some reading up on jj Corry and now the Gael is on the list. In fairness I think it's bumped waterford off. I'll wait for that to get a bit older

Also makes me think there's nothing wrong with bonding just to be open and honest about it

I've no issue with 'XXX Whiskey' selling Cooley or Bushmills stock that they've put their own personality on. There are some interesting whiskeys aged in unusual barrels out there.

Calling yourself 'XXX Boutique Distillery' when you've never produced a drop is taking liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

That's exactly how I felt about it. At 89 it's too rich for my blood but I think at 44 it's worth a punt.

But as I'm a scotch neophyte I need pointers here on the choice of Cardhu or Bowmore...

Bowmore 100%. Cardhu has way too much honey sweetness. Bowmore started my Islay adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Sampling a Kilchoman Machir Bay. Overall it is fine but I don’t think Id shell out for a full bottle. I’m not at all put off by peat and like it in this. Also get a whiff of a creosote-covered Barratt fruit salad. Weirdly nice.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Opened the Kilbeggan. Smells like a really good rum. I think I enjoyed just getting the aroma more than tasting it, which I also enjoyed. That's definitely one to buy again if I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Some input wanted:

Three swallows or method and madness single grain?

Have some vouchers that need to be spent!

Have had the three swallows before, really liked it, but thinking of something new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Bought a second 8 year Kilbeggan yesterday. Hopefully it will last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Two more from the advent calendar...

Hudson single malt. Hard to believe this is only aged 4 years... Maybe less? Would beat the pants off a lot of older offerings. Actually a bit too soft and well behaved nearly.

Then an Eagle Rare 10. A comparatively rougher ride after the Hudson. Didn’t expect that, and I love Eagle Rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Great Bushmills tasting tonight on ZOOM from L Mulligan Whiskey Shop.
    The two new Causeway Cask strength releases were phenomenal, albeit hard in these times to justify forking out € 400 for the 1995.
    Value is always imortant I think, and my taste buds are around € 100 to €150 max at the moment.Maybe I need a new job!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

OldRio wrote: »

None near me. Possibly near parents, but doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

OldRio wrote: »

I bought two yesterday. One for myself and one for the brother for Christmas. Last two to be got where I am, got one a few weeks ago and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Spot tasting collection €65

1 x Green Spot 50ml

1 x Green Spot Léoville Barton 50ml

1 x Green Spot Chateau Montelena 50ml

1 x Yellow Spot 12 Year Old 50ml

1 x Red Spot 15 Year Old 50ml

1 x Blue Spot 7 Year Old Cask Strength 50ml

https://dropsfromthesky.com/collections/new-in/products/spot-flight-2-6-x-50ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Weepsie wrote: »
    None near me. Possibly near parents, but doubtful

Where are you based Weepsie? I'm sure there's a few left in my local Aldi, I can pick you up a bottle and meet up with you if not too far away when lockdown hopefully over? I'm Carlow based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

picachu wrote: »
    Bowmore 100%. Cardhu has way too much honey sweetness. Bowmore started my Islay adventure

Yeah. Picked the the Bowmore after the comments on here.

Also got one of the rum tasting packs as well.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I got the 2016 for about €95. In Beijing duty free of all places.

Lovely!

I wish I had bothered to check that out in HK last year coming home from the world cup. But I don't think the wallet was stretching to Midleton at that point.

Ahh stop....where is this going to end.Couldn't not apply for this tasting...I'm going to end up broke,with a drinking problem ( only at weekends thankfully)😀

quote="Cazale;115366891"]Spot tasting collection €65

1 x Green Spot 50ml

https://dropsfromthesky.com/collections/new-in/products/spot-flight-2-6-x-50ml[/quote]

Ahh stop....where is this going to end.Couldn't not apply for this tasting...I'm going to end up broke,with a drinking problem ( only at weekends thankfully)😀

quote="Cazale;115366891"]Spot tasting collection €65

1 x Green Spot 50ml

https://dropsfromthesky.com/collections/new-in/products/spot-flight-2-6-x-50ml
    [/quote]

It's really terrible value. All their stuff is. For example, Teeling Blackpitts is €11 for 50ml. You could buy a bottle for €60. The mark up is outrageous.

It's really terrible value. All their stuff is. For example, Teeling Blackpitts is €11 for 50ml. You could buy a bottle for €60. The mark up is outrageous.[/quote]

Maybe on the face of it,but the tasting set is surely about trying all the "Spots" without breaking the bank.To buy each full bottle would be circa €400,and hopefully after the tasting I might limit myself to buying two.Thats only aspirational though.I think one needs close to 50ml to try a tasting properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stuart199 wrote: »
    So are you suggesting that they made this up, that it is all a pack of lies - what an accusation.
    Fact 1 - The barley was grown on the farm in Tipperary
    Fact 2 - They negotiated conditions with the distiller that they could produce the distillate to their own parameters.

Just waiting for the apology now.

As you appear to have lots of facts about this, why not end all the curiosity and suspicion?

1. Are there stills in TippDistillery?
    2. Are they commissioned and in use?
    3. Why are there no pictures of said stills, in situ?
    4.Why are there no pictures of the site, construction, etc. etc?

You've created a profile to demand an apology from me for daring to question the narrative.
    Why not use it, now, to clear up all this confusion?

It's really terrible value. All their stuff is. For example, Teeling Blackpitts is €11 for 50ml. You could buy a bottle for €60. The mark up is outrageous.

They are a bar so they are charging the pub price for 35ml but giving you 50ml. I have bottles or samples of all the spots but if I didn't I might have pulled the trigger on it.

There is another place doing 50ml samples at better value. They have blue spot for €7.50 and the the bushmills 2008 muscatel for €9.50 for example. I was on the phone to them the other day and they are launching a website soon. I'll post their details in here if all goes well.

They are a bar so they are charging the pub price for 35ml but giving you 50ml.l.

Also, there's the bottles, caps, packaging and postage. Then you have the labour of filling and packaging them and all the online work.
    I don't think anyone is making a fortune here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Pre Christmas stock take

2011abc wrote: »
    Id be curious to know if my description of Barry Crockett as "Mandarin flavoured , angel wing feather lightness on the tongue" is anywhere in the ballpark .Despite being in my third or fourth year as a whiskey fancier I can smell almost NOTHING and 'finish' doesnt mean much to me either -although I know Yellow Spot has it by the bucketload .Does anyone who has had The Gael and BC taste similarities ?(I know one is a blend and the other a Pot Still )

Had a bottle of bc a few years ago.
    I found it to be refined, smooth, and kinda boring. I just didn't "get" it at all.

I've sampled the Dair Ghaelach a couple of times and found it really complex, deep and interesting. Love it.

• Advertisement

My "That's Dram Good" tasting kit arrived this morning.

Macallan 12 yo All Sherry
    Bushmills 16 - Mid 1990s bottling
    Jameson 1780 - Mid 1990s bottling
    Redbreast 12 - 1980s bottling
    Lockes Crock 7yo - 1957 Pure Pot Still
    Glenmorangie Signet 2017 - Whiskeys from 21yo to 40yo

Couldn't resist having a smell even at 8am. The Lockes and the Bushmills smell incredible. They all Snell great tbf. The bang of sherry from the Macallan is unmistakable. Straight out of the sample bottle!

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/whiskey-online-wednesday-25th-november-tickets-128348504833

Macallan 12 yo All Sherry Bushmills 16 - Mid 1990s bottling Jameson 1780 - Mid 1990s bottling Redbreast 12 - 1980s bottling Lockes Crock 7yo - 1957 Pure Pot Still Glenmorangie Signet 2017 - Whiskeys from 21yo to 40yo

Sounds like a great tasting. These are the ones I would have gone for myself but I spent a fortune that week on boring car/house stuff so had to pass. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Following on from the Dalmore tasting a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a bottle of Dalmore Port Wood Reserve. It arrived today. Looking forward to trying it out this eve.

Has anybody tried it before? (Edit - this wasn't part of the Dalmore tasting, which is why I went for this rather than the 15 or Cigar Malt).

Sounds like a great tasting. These are the ones I would have gone for myself but I spent a fortune that week on boring car/house stuff so had to pass. Let us know how you get on.

My reasoning with these things is that I'm unlikely to ever taste them again.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Speaking of Royal Oak, they've released their "The Busker" whiskey.

https://www.facebook.com/royaloakdistillery/posts/3525641350883818

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

As you appear to have lots of facts about this, why not end all the curiosity and suspicion?

You've created a profile to demand an apology from me for daring to question the narrative.

They literally did a podcast and confirmed this. Someone highlighted it a few pages back and everyone ignored it cos ye would rather gossip than either accept what they've said or ask them directly on their social media. And I've been on their social media and seen it confirmed ffs.

Given you are/work for a rival brand (blackwater) you'd think you could just ask them yourself on one of their sm accounts rather than hoping that someone that made one post comes back to the thread.

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »
    They literally did a podcast and confirmed this. Someone highlighted it a few pages back and everyone ignored it cos ye would rather gossip than either accept what they've said or ask them directly on their social media. And I've been on their social media and seen it confirmed ffs.

Given you are/work for a rival brand (blackwater) you'd think you could just ask them yourself on one of their sm accounts rather than hoping that someone that made one post comes back to the thread.

The podcast said they have 4 stills according to the person who posted it. So what have they said? That they own four stills? What have you seen confirmed on their social media?

I don't work for any distillery and I don't think I should have to go on social media and ask a company that calls itself "Tipperary Boutique Distillery" if their four stills are in use.

Without asking them though I know that no whiskey currently on sale was distilled in Tipperary Boutique Distillery.

The podcast said they have 4 stills according to the person who posted it. So what have they said? That they own four stills? What have you seen confirmed on their social media?

I don't work for any distillery and I don't think I should have to go on social media and ask a company that calls itself "Tipperary Boutique Distillery" if their four stills are in use.

Seriously? You dont think you should have to go on social media to check, and someone told you here, but you want me to tell you again?

Okay. They said on the podcast they have stills. Irish whiskey mag have updated them as having an operating distillery. I think it's clear they do have a distillery.

Is it because its run by a female? Cos as a female myself it feels like a weird level of resentment about a distillery. People are talking about trawling their accounts for pics but wont just ask them. It's just strange tbh.

Seriously? You dont think you should have to go on social media to check, and someone told you here, but you want me to tell you again?

Okay. They said on the podcast they have stills. Irish whiskey mag have updated them as having an operating distillery. I think it's clear they do have a distillery.

Is it because its run by a female? Cos as a female myself it feels like a weird level of resentment about a distillery. People are talking about trawling their accounts for pics but wont just ask them. It's just strange tbh.

I see that you conveniently left out the last sentence of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Without going down that rabbit hole, would it not be easier and good promo material for the distillery, to just update the website to include photos of the in progress \ operational distillery with stills? How hard would that be?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good grief playing the anti female card screams of deflection. You're embarrassing yourself.

• Advertisement

I see that you conveniently left out the last sentence of my post.

I didn't. You obviously edited it in the meantime.

As far as I'm aware, and I only have 2 of their bottles here, none of their bottlings are called that.

In fact, the back label of both of the tipp bottles I have talks about this whiskey being selected and waiting for their still to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Adyx wrote: »
    Speaking of Royal Oak, they've released their "The Busker" whiskey.

https://www.facebook.com/royaloakdistillery/posts/3525641350883818

Very reasonably priced, I'd be very interested to try this. Very unusual how low key this release of brand new single malt, single grain and pot still is. You have 10 times more hype with the 100 different Cooley blend releases that are out there.

In fact, the back label of both of the tipp bottles I have talks about this whiskey being selected and waiting for their still to be built.

You argued on this thread that their new release wasn't third party whiskey.

I had no interest in their earlier other sourced whiskey but the bottles released this week were marketed as their own. I was interested in buying one but found the lack of information on their website odd so dug a bit deeper. In my opinion they deliberately obfuscated its origins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

How much is it? Might pop down to Carpenters and pick up a bottle seeing as its the first product of the Royal Oak distillery.

You argued on this thread that their new release wasn't third party whiskey.

I had no interest in their earlier other sourced whiskey but the bottles released this week were marketed as their own. I was interested in buying one but found the lack of information on their website odd so dug a bit deeper. In my opinion they deliberately obfuscated its origins.

I dont have one of those, and I when i spoke about them i was talking about what was on the podcast. I'm not sure more info is out yet.

I'm talking about the bottles I have - they are single casks that say bottled feb 2020 on them.

Gonna give this another try tonight...well if we could score a try!!

thankfully , much more smooth and sweet.would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Lidl now doing a wider selection of West Corks including Sherry influence (which depite being a sherry fan I wasnt mad about)(still its only 26 compared with 32-39 in West Cork label

Gonna give this another try tonight...well if we could score a try!!

thankfully , much more smooth and sweet.would recommend.

That's a great looking bottle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Stuart199

I dont have one of those, and I when i spoke about them i was talking about what was on the podcast. I'm not sure more info is out yet.

I'm talking about the bottles I have - they are single casks that say bottled feb 2020 on them.

More information on Facebook, including images of front and back label. The Tipp Team are focussed on getting the bottles out the door and the new distillery commissioned and so web site upgrade has been put back a few days. Sit tight and it will be there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement