Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Stuart199

As you appear to have lots of facts about this, why not end all the curiosity and suspicion?

1. Are there stills in TippDistillery?
    2. Are they commissioned and in use?
    3. Why are there no pictures of said stills, in situ?
    4.Why are there no pictures of the site, construction, etc. etc?

You've created a profile to demand an apology from me for daring to question the narrative.
    Why not use it, now, to clear up all this confusion?
    1. Yes
    2. Being commissioned which means that they are in use.
    3. Why should there be?
    4. Why should there be?

Very strange topic this, why do you want to find fault in a new distillery coming on the seen. Buy a bottle and scan the QR code and you will find all of the information that you need.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All this secrecy and obfuscation really turns me off most of these new Irish distilleries.

If its not clear who distilled the whiskey I just have no interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am not long into whisky but trying some green spot.
    I have to say it's one of the better ones I've tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Stuart199 wrote: »
    1. Yes
    3. Why should there be?
    4. Why should there be?

Very strange topic this, why do you want to find fault in a new distillery coming on the seen. Buy a bottle and scan the QR code and you will find all of the information that you need.

Sorry but a new reg angrily responding to one of this threads most active posters is the only thing strange about this. The topic is whiskey, its 100% fair game to discuss the origin and provenance of whiskeys on the market.

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence when someone registers to respond to a fairly innocuous comment on the brand, one could be forgiven for thinking there may be some link to the company, a cynic might even find it hard to believe that there isn't any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. Yes
    3. Why should there be?
    4. Why should there be?
    “Being commissioned” is more vague smoke and mirrors. Has any new make been casked?
    You ignored my question previously, so I’ll rephrase.

Was the new single cask release distilled at tipperary distillery or at a third party distillery?

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Seriously? You dont think you should have to go on social media to check, and someone told you here, but you want me to tell you again?

Okay. They said on the podcast they have stills. Irish whiskey mag have updated them as having an operating distillery. I think it's clear they do have a distillery.

Is it because its run by a female? Cos as a female myself it feels like a weird level of resentment about a distillery. People are talking about trawling their accounts for pics but wont just ask them. It's just strange tbh.
    You’ve been the only one to bring up the fact there’s a female involved (along two males). Very odd imo.

And they have been asked, directly on this thread. Numerous times. I think it pretty clear also, but we possibly have drawn different conclusions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Mellor wrote: »
    You’ve been the only one to bring up the fact there’s a female involved (along two males). Very odd imo.

And they have been asked, directly on this thread. Numerous times. I think it pretty clear also, but we possibly have drawn different conclusions.

We obviously have drawn different conclusions.

Throwing around vague accusations on a msg board where they wont be alerted isnt the same as asking them directly, but since they are obviously aware now, I 'm going to bow out. I cant be bothered with the level of vitriol in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

How much is it? Might pop down to Carpenters and pick up a bottle seeing as its the first product of the Royal Oak distillery.

32.50 for the blend and 42.50 for single grain, single malt and single pot still.

As for the Tipperary issue, I listened to the podcast too and fully thought it was their own distillate releases, it definitely could have been made clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Bedouin79

Hi just wondering does anyone know if midelton very rare 2020 is sold out?? Can’t seem to get it anywhere

• Advertisement

Throwing around vague accusations on a msg board where they wont be alerted isnt the same as asking them directly, but since they are obviously aware now, I 'm going to bow out. I cant be bothered with the level of vitriol in this thread.
    I’m aware we’ve drawn different conclusions. One of us is presumably mistaken.

There’s no vitriol. It’s pretty standard for whiskey to be bottled/bonded/blended spirit from other distilleries. The issue only arise when somebody claimed that wasn’t the case here, which was doubted.
    I haven’t seen the distillery in question make the same claim, but they also haven’t clarified, which imo is not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really, Choc Chip, this would never have become a big discussion, throwing up all sorts of questions only for the fact that you argued that this new whiskey is not a high end third party whiskey, despite it being distilled in someone else's distillery.
    Then someone else waded in demanding an apology merely because I asked some reasonable questions.
    I didn't start this.

It was a discussion that started here and continued here amongst posters here. Why would I want to take it elsewhere?

Unwittingly, you did your pals a disservice.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

1. Yes
    3. Why should there be?
    4. Why should there be?

I think what's most annoying people is the use of geographic names on whiskies that were not distilled in said location. Connemara being the most glaring example (much as I like the liquid in that bottle). It undermines the credibility of Irish whiskey and should be banned.

I totally understand new distilleries buying in stock to generate some cash flow while their distilleries are being built but they should be bottled under non-geographic labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

After the Munster football final today, there won't be a bottle of whiskey distilled in Tipperary for weeks... Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Looking for a recommendation for a Japanese whiskey. Never tried one and am curious about it, so looking to get one for the Christmas period. Something in the €50-80 range ideally. Any ideas for a first try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Already have a nice whiskey collection but decided to go to O'Brien's today to pick up bottles of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. I mainly go for Irish but warming to American whiskeys too.

Then I went to Tesco and bought 4 litres of Powers as well as 3 bottles of Hennessey and 6 bottles of wine.

Powers is for me the best of the standard Irish whiskeys, well sorted for hot ones now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Quackster wrote: »
    I totally understand new distilleries buying in stock to generate some cash flow while their distilleries are being built but they should be bottled under non-geographic labels.

So you expect a brand to use a completely different name while they are getting off the ground, and then once they have established themselves, and have started bottling their own aged distillate , then they should change their branding to reflect where they are from?

If that was the case, then Tipperary couldn't use their name until 8-10 years after starting up.

plibige wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a Japanese whiskey. Never tried one and am curious about it, so looking to get one for the Christmas period. Something in the €50-80 range ideally. Any ideas for a first try?

I really like nika from the barrel.
    And I love the bottle design!

Looking for a recommendation for a Japanese whiskey.

I'd recommend Nikka From The Barrel as well. Lovely whiskey at a decent enough price point. It's abv is slightly over 50%, so you can taste it neat, or add a little water and see how it opens up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think what's most annoying people is the use of geographic names on whiskies that were not distilled in said location. Connemara being the most glaring example (much as I like the liquid in that bottle). It undermines the credibility of Irish whiskey and should be banned.

Connemara is a poor example. A bottle of Connemara states on the front label that it's a Kilbeggan product. There's no suggestion that it's made in Connemara. Look for it on the CWS website and it's stayed that it's Cooley stock. It even explains the source of the barley.

Geographical names are not the issue here.

Vitriol..?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    So you expect a brand to use a completely different name while they are getting off the ground, and then once they have established themselves, and have started bottling their own aged distillate , then they should change their branding to reflect where they are from?

If that was the case, then Tipperary couldn't use their name until 8-10 years after starting up.
    That's what others have done so I don't see why not. If they want to bottle third-party sourced whiskey, they could have adopted a non-geographic brand, like many other Irish whiskey companies.

You wouldn't get away with it in Scotland so I don't see why we should have lesser standards here.

If they want to bottle third-party sourced whiskey, they could have adopted a non-geographic brand, like many other Irish whiskey companies.

But that's not what they want to do. They want to distill and age their own spirit in Tipperary, and make as much as they can from their own barley. I thought that much was clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Back to whiskey drinking.

Decided to go back to the Black Barrel tonight watching the NFL and doing this assignment. Honestly, it's such a pleasant sipping whiskey.

It might be shifting Black Bush out of the "guest whiskey" section of the whiskey alcove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Back to whiskey drinking.

Decided to go back to the Black Barrel tonight watching the NFL and doing this assignment. Honestly, it's such a pleasant sipping whiskey.

It might be shifting Black Bush out of the "guest whiskey" section of the whiskey alcove.

I like Black Barrel but only at its current price, I think its vastly overpriced normally. Its usually around €45 which its not anywhere near as good as alternatives around that price. Black Bush is almost always available somewhere for €25 so for me its a bottle I'll always have in the cabinet and a fine whiskey too. Even at the discounted price for Black Barrel I'd have 3 Swallows ahead of it at €30 in Tesco. In fairness this time of year is a real treat for us whiskey lovers, so many good offers around its hard to decide what to buy.

Also speaking of Whiskey....

Moved into my new apartment there a month ago, but only this wek did I get the set up sorted. Had to barter with herself to take over one side of the bookcase which is now the drinks cabinet:

533861.jpeg

It should be noted there's 4 more shelves above that which are to be filled over the next while when she allows me to take the gins and rum out of the pantry.

Sorted out the miniatures and they're in the press underneath with the spare Kilbeggan.

We also have this alcove above the TV that you can do very little with and had a gap that was at an awkward angle, only one real solution for it:

533862.jpeg

I like Black Barrel but only at its current price, I think its vastly overpriced normally. Its usually around €45 which its not anywhere near as good as alternatives around that price. Black Bush is almost always available somewhere for €25 so for me its a bottle I'll always have in the cabinet and a fine whiskey too. Even at the discounted price for Black Barrel I'd have 3 Swallows ahead of it at €30 in Tesco. In fairness this time of year is a real treat for us whiskey lovers, so many good offers around its hard to decide what to buy.

Absolutely.

At 30quid it's a no-brainer. With the quality available out there at 45 there's not a hope that I'd be grabbing it at that price point.

I love Black Bush, but if I'm getting Bow Street's BB for 30, it's what will be got! :)

I plumped for Black Barrel a few weeks back rather than the 3 Swallows, but that's next on the hitlist tbf, given the love for it here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nikka From The Barrel Is hard to go wrong with and is in your price range, as others have said.

Nikka Coffey Grain and Super Nikka both good at a higher price point but not really better whiskies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nikka From The Barrel Is hard to go wrong with and is in your price range, as others have said.

Nikka Coffey Grain and Super Nikka both good at a higher price point but not really better whiskies.

I rated the Coffey Malt far higher than the Coffey Grain in a back to back tasting and bought a bottle last Christmas. Have Nikka from the Barrel on my wish list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Drinking whiskey sours tonight. Finished off the makers mark. Only started adding the egg white last week. 2 new skills learned - collecting just the egg white and making the simple syrup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Also speaking of Whiskey....

Moved into my new apartment there a month ago, but only this wek did I get the set up sorted. Had to barter with herself to take over one side of the bookcase which is now the drinks cabinet:

533861.jpeg

It should be noted there's 4 more shelves above that which are to be filled over the next while when she allows me to take the gins and rum out of the pantry.

Sorted out the miniatures and they're in the press underneath with the spare Kilbeggan.

We also have this alcove above the TV that you can do very little with and had a gap that was at an awkward angle, only one real solution for it:

533862.jpeg

Looking.good!

• Advertisement

Another 'Bottle Kill' :D

Cazale wrote: »
    Looking.good!

You put me to shame. :)

The missus got me a voucher for Whisky Exchange for Christmas. Gave it to me early so I could have them delivered on time. Got 11 whiskeys but decided to diversify so ordered 8 Cognacs, 10 rums and 5 ports. Also got some Absinthe, Calvados, Mezcal and a load of liquers too. All miniatures. Haven't tried much cognac before so ordered some nice high end stuff like Hennessy XO Cognac and
    Remy Martin XO Excellence to try. Got three samples of Blanton's Original for the collection too. Should be a fun Christmas!

Cazale wrote: »
    The missus got me a voucher for Whisky Exchange for Christmas. Gave it to me early so I could have them delivered on time. Got 11 whiskeys but decided to diversify so ordered 8 Cognacs, 10 rums and 5 ports. Also got some Absinthe, Calvados, Mezcal and a load of liquers too. All miniatures. Haven't tried much cognac before so ordered some nice high end stuff like Hennessy XO Cognac and
    Remy Martin XO Excellence to try. Got three samples of Blanton's Original for the collection too. Should be a fun Christmas!

I had herself taste those rum miniatures the other day. Just fingers dips mind, and she loves them. The slow race to turning her to whiskey is on.

I also tasted the rums. They're amazing.

If that was the case, then Tipperary couldn't use their name until 8-10 years after starting up

Well, would only be 3 Years based on current latest premium bottling.

But I don't necessarily agree with that logic.
    Meath Distillery and Mickies Distillery should be treated the same imo.

Suntory- the chita

Meath Distillery and Mickies Distillery should be treated the same imo.

Yes, neither should be allowed to deceive, mislead or confuse the consumer as to the origin of the liquid in the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nikka From the Barrel. EDIT: have just seen about 5 different people saying the same.

New wine shop opened near me a few weeks ago and I went in for a look for the first time yesterday. Bushmills 10 was 25e so I couldn't say no. Would normally never buy anything like it but too good at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Blue Spot arrived Saturday, put an awful dent in it that night.

Lovely caramel/butterscotch taste to it, with an all merciful bang of spice afterwards (was a little shy with the water).

As herself pointed out, the collection of six Spots is now complete. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Nikka Coffey Malt (IMHO better then Nikka from the Barrel)

Tom Dunne wrote:
    As herself pointed out, the collection of six Spots is now complete.

Show her the price of the single cask green spots for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Method & Madness or Dingle gin?

Method & Madness or Dingle gin?

M&M

Well, would only be 3 Years based on current latest premium bottling.

My point is you should still be able to use a geographical name, if you intend to distill your whiskey there. You shouldn't have to trade under a different name until such time as you bottle the whiskey the came off your stills.

It could never be as quick as three years though. Is there any whiskey brand that can get their company up and running, and have their distillate aged and bottled within three years?

Teelings took six years, and they had €20,000,000 behind them.

Sliabh Liag Distillers have been around since 2014, when did they bottle their first whiskey?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sliabh Liag Distillers have been around since 2014, when did they bottle their first whiskey?

Silkie came out in 2016.

Weirdly, Crolly Distillery, also in Donegal, have recently filled their first cask but haven't released any whiskey from bought stock.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Picked the the Bowmore after the comments on here.

Also got one of the rum tasting packs as well.

Cheers.

Got an email this morning to say that they're out of stock. Which is rather ridiculous.

So I have to go through that rigmarole all over again.

I'll probably claim a rum after all this. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

8.30 RTE 1

Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin, Kathriona Devereux and Jonathan McCrea to reveal the science behind the sense of taste, meeting researchers looking into food sensory perception. They also investigate whiskey, revealing how the aromas that arise due to differences in barley varieties, geographical location of the crop and season all affect its taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Plan to hit Tesco tomorrow to use my first €15 off 70 spend voucher. Getting 1 Black Barrel, any suggestions on something to go with it? Thinking maybe a 3 swallows as I haven't had it but the missus enjoyed it.

Think we have 6 vouchers to use which will be put mostly on booze so happy for suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering does anyone know if midelton very rare 2020 is sold out?? Can’t seem to get it anywhere

I'd say you'd be very lucky to find one at this late stage.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Silkie came out in 2016.

That's not from their distillate though, is it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement