Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

received my first real whiskey tasting glasses today. bought two tuath glasses by god the are gorgeous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

janiejones wrote: »
    Bake off night so cardhu 12. Actually goes really well with galaxy salted caramel

Decided to open the Roe and Co for bake off. I couldnt resist after a smell. I dont see it lasting until Christmas is all I'll say. Smooth and gorgeous and straight into what I'd use in regular rotation

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Bake off night so cardhu 12. Actually goes really well with galaxy salted caramel
    €30 in Tesco from tomorrow today in case you've run out! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That suggests the price may have been driven by goodwill and the cause, rather than by the liquid being auctioned!

The RRP is 10k GBP. The above was charity driven.

It's obvious work a fair bit at close to 30 years old. But even allowing for the crystal decanter and glasses, the "angels share, and the extremely well put together case. 10k is taking the piss a bit.
    FlicFlak wrote: »
    Am i not mistaken in thinking the Midleton ultra premium release earlier this year was a 45 year old single malt?
    Also this is triple distilled, so it has to be Bushmills or Midleton, wasnt Cooley double distilled back then (and still now)?

Yes, a 45 year old was release this year. At 35k euro.
    They will release some up to 50years over the next few years.

I think the above claim hinges on the '...and triple cask" tag, it's marketing.
    Also, and its not as important, but its called The Devils keep! And they only released 333 bottles!! Would they not half the volume and release 666 bottles??

I've a feeling that this an initial release. 333
    With another 666 to come in round too.

1 for auction. And one spare. 1001 total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ralfy just issued an apology:

I'm a big fan of Ralfy to be honest and i like his philosophy channel too. I found his wee book on his love of whiskey to be also brilliant. It would be very out of character for him to make a statement like that in the way that a lot of people interpreted it, to be fair. So in fairness, fair play to him for apologising, and he looked fairly upset and genuine about it there as well.

edit: link above not working:

https://youtu.be/xW3CZSsmB-E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Ralfy just issued an apology:

I'm a big fan of Ralfy to be honest and i like his philosophy channel too. I found his wee book on his love of whiskey to be also brilliant. It would be very out of character for him to make a statement like that in the way that a lot of people interpreted it, to be fair. So in fairness, fair play to him for apologising, and he looked fairly upset and genuine about it there as well.

edit: link above not working:

https://youtu.be/xW3CZSsmB-E

I'm not a huge fan as I find his reviews too rambling but i had seen the offending review and took the benign interpretation of it at the time. He has no previous that I'm aware of that would suggest he was suddenly going to attack us Paddies.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My sister can't make my wedding for obvious reasons, so had a bottle of green spot whiskey sent to me last night. That'll do nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Weepsie wrote:
    My sister can't make my wedding for obvious reasons, so had a bottle of green spot whiskey sent to me last night. That'll do nicely

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Got Redbreast 12 on Amazon for £37 on a black friday deal. I used a NI address to get the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Looks like a decent deal to go along with all those bottles of Roe & Co....

4 glasses for 8 euro, using CYBERWEEK20 promo code. Especially good if you can collect, avoiding the 10 euro delivery fee.

https://shop.roeandcowhiskey.com/collections/glassware/products/4pk-spey-glass

No idea about quality though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looks like a decent deal to go along with all those bottles of Roe & Co....

4 glasses for 8 euro, using CYBERWEEK20 promo code. Especially good if you can collect, avoiding the 10 euro delivery fee.

https://shop.roeandcowhiskey.com/collections/glassware/products/4pk-spey-glass

No idea about quality though!

Can't go wrong for 8euro. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

did tesco click and collect for the first time. ordered 3 talisker 10 at the sale price to have for the year but i must have clicked substitute or forgot to unclick it. got 2 bottles but they subbed the 3rd for a glenmorangie. 10 year old scotch is all the same sure. i was initially going to leave it and just take the 2 but i've never tried it and it is a classic so... some night in 2021 i'll have to give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

did tesco click and collect for the first time. ordered 3 talisker 10 at the sale price to have for the year but i must have clicked substitute or forgot to unclick it. got 2 bottles but they subbed the 3rd for a glenmorangie. 10 year old scotch is all the same sure. i was initially going to leave it and just take the 2 but i've never tried it and it is a classic so... some night in 2021 i'll have to give it a try

I didn't think they were subbing on non-essential items.
    I hope they only charged you the Talisker offer price of €30 not the Glenmorangie RRP of €45?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's a lovely whisky.

I've been deliberately avoiding O' Brien's due to my lack of willpower but had to collect something for my brother earlier. Came out with a Yellow Spot,. Blackpitts and Redbreast 15. Happy Christmas or Thanksgiving or something to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

yeah, 45 down to 30 on a price match

yeah, 45 down to 30 on a price match

Great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Can't believe all this just arrived by courier for the £10 Black Bush & Hot Sauce online tasting Friday night.

duDuRxL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Is Three Swallows just gone in Tesco now? I've looked for the last few weeks each time I've gone there and never seen it, the SEL is there alright but no sign of it. Its €33 in Super Value and I've a €10 off €50 voucher so I think I might just get it there, just not as convenient as my local SV has all the spirits behind the express checkout and it can be a nightmare trying to see what they have when its busy.

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Can't believe all this just arrived by courier for the £10 Black Bush & Hot Sauce online tasting tomorrow night.

duDuRxL.jpg

Wow! I've literally just bought a ticket for next Friday night. Thats a great bit of kit for £10.

Is Three Swallows just gone in Tesco now? I've looked for the last few weeks each time I've gone there and never seen it, the SEL is there alright but no sign of it. Its €33 in Super Value and I've a €10 off €50 voucher so I think I might just get it there, just not as convenient as my local SV has all the spirits behind the express checkout and it can be a nightmare trying to see what they have when its busy.

They had some in Clare Hall last weekend.
    If your local Super Valu does deliveries or click collect, sign in to Super Valu and start a fake delivery from it, but obviously don't pay. It's not 100% reliable as they could be out of stock, but it should give you a better idea of whether that store stocks the particular item or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Can't believe all this just arrived by courier for the £10 Black Bush & Hot Sauce online tasting Friday night.

duDuRxL.jpg

That is quite a haul! Just signed up myself!

duDuRxL.jpg

That's an outrageous deal. I completely glossed over it when I saw it a few weeks back. Grabbed a slot for next Thursday evening anyway. Be silly not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If your local Super Valu does deliveries or click collect, sign in to Super Valu and start a fake delivery from it, but obviously don't pay. It's not 100% reliable as they could be out of stock, but it should give you a better idea of whether that store stocks the particular item or not.

I don't think that's reliable. I set up a click and collect from my local Supervalu yesterday for a bottle of Tullamore Dew. They rang today to say they didn't have what I wanted in stock, and did I want them to substitute with a bottle of Jameson.

They said the bottle I wanted was unavailable in any Supervalu, then I found one on the shelf in Dalkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rather rapidly signed up myself! Can't resist branded glassware for starters.

£10 is basically paying the shipping there, nothing much else. Even saved 72c by not letting Paypal convert the Sterling for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's an outrageous deal. I completely glossed over it when I saw it a few weeks back. Grabbed a slot for next Thursday evening anyway. Be silly not to.

I went for next Thursday as well. Ridiculous value.

How the hell did we miss it? Barely a ripple in here!

Ha. Fair dues to 54and56!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was mentioned, I definitely saw it as I mentioned it to someone I know who's a hot sauce fiend (and Black Bush fan) - I think we all missed the "everything provided except ice" bit of the notice!

The Paypal payment goes to Bushmills account manager in their PR agency so this is definitely just a postage contribution with the rest coming from Bushmills marketing budget.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    It was mentioned, I definitely saw it as I mentioned it to someone I know who's a hot sauce fiend (and Black Bush fan) - I think we all missed the "everything provided except ice" bit of the notice!

The Paypal payment goes to Bushmills account manager in their PR agency so this is definitely just a postage contribution with the rest coming from Bushmills marketing budget.

Exactly. Brutal!

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=290670747

This one?

€30 now in Tesco

L1011 wrote:

I have two ordered to the North. One as a stocking filler for Christmas. I'll have to get the mother in law to open them as I didn't realise there would be fresh fruit and herbs in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Signed myself and the wife up for Saturday week. Excellent deal, thanks for posting the pic.

6 wrote: »

Yeah I know I was referring to the stock levels. It hasn’t been in my local Tesco for weeks, I’ve asked a sibling to check theirs and no sign either.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

duDuRxL.jpg

Just ordered!!! Thanks for that. Deal of the year

• Advertisement

Wow, didn't cop that it was island of Ireland, just signed up there myself for the Black Bush event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

duDuRxL.jpg

Just ordered one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just picked up a bottle of Talisker 10 and Cardhu 12 in Tesco Liffey Valley. LOADS of Tallisker on the shelf but got the last Cardhu.

Never tried anything from Cardhu before so im curious to crack it open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Boom! Just ordered the black bush deal!

Too good to miss.

flended12 wrote:
    Boom! Just ordered the black bush deal!

flended12 wrote:
    Too good to miss.

Sent it on to a mate there and he couldn't get ordering. Looks like it's sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I remember on a very early school report, circa 1965 it said '......... is easily led and easily distracted'

Nothing changes.

Black Bush deal ordered.

Found a bottle of Kilbeggan in Naas. There was one left on the shelf.

Fantastic!

---

The "That's Dram Good" tasting is on now.

Starting off with the Lockes.

My my my...

Got some samples from @No21cork on twitter delivered today. Two blue spots, red spot, redbreast 15 and redbreast 27. Very cheap in comparison to similar services. Prices for 50ml below. That also included postage etc.

Blue spot €7.50
    Red spot €11
    Redbreast 15 €10.50
    Redbreast 27 €41

Starting off with the Lockes.

Jealous! Enjoy them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

MoM bourbon advent calendar continues..

Fillibuster Dual Cask

I gather this is a 'new make' added to a sourced bourbon. Unusually pleasant. Would it be too poetic if I said that this bourbon made me think of cozy things like when you're sitting in a warm parked car in winter, and the windows have steamed up, with rain really pelting down on the outside exterior...?

Cazale wrote: »
    Jealous! Enjoy them.

That Lockes is going to live long with me.

The RB12 (1980s) was gorgeous... but the Lockes. The LOCKES!!!

That Lockes is going to live long with me.

The vintage whiskey is where it's at. I should have got it.

I gather this is a 'new make' added to a sourced bourbon. Unusually pleasant. Would it be too poetic if I said that this bourbon made me think of cozy things like when you're sitting in a warm parked car in winter, and the windows have steamed up, with rain really pelting down on the outside exterior...?

Whiskey is poetry. Sounds lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Originally Posted by Black Sheep

Whiskey is poetry. Sounds lovely

Dunno ,depends who is in the car with you !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement