Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cazale wrote: »
    The vintage whiskey is where it's at. I should have got it.

You should've. the Glenmorangie Signet is stunning.

The Macallan 12yo was so disappointing. That was the consensus as well.

Lockes Crock 7yo
    RB12 (1980s)
    Jameson 1780 (1990s)
    Bushmills 16 (1990s) / Glenmorangie Signet 2017
    Macallan 12yo All Sherry

---

The Lockes was so moreish! Though, it won't be had again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

MoM bourbon advent...

Legent bourbon. Rough finish but nice cherry and cereal notes. A US and Japanese collaboration I believe.

Evan Williams White Label. 50% abv is a winner but as a bourbon it’s sub par.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Blue spot also back in stock in mitchell and sons for those on the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Pulled the trigger on some Ardbeg An Oa, a Deanston 12 Year Old and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, the latter of which is on offer for £25 on Amazon for Black Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RB12 (1980s)

One of my first memories of being excited by a whiskey involved an old bottle of RB.

It would have been around 1989 and myself and two pals decided to sample from one of the lad's parent's drinks cabinet. (the parents were non drinkers)
    I don't recall anything about the bottle other than it was Red Breast and we had no idea how long it was there. I think RB was out of production at the time.

What I do remember is two of us being blown away by this whiskey - we had never had anything like it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MoM bourbon advent calendar continues..

Fillibuster Dual Cask

I gather this is a 'new make' added to a sourced bourbon.
    Unless I misunderstand you, it couldn’t be that. New make blended with bourbon can’t be called whiskey.
    It seems to be simply bourbon, finished in another cask for a few months. Which is pretty common by Irish/Scotch tradition. But pretty rare in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaLaLamb

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on some Ardbeg An Oa, a Deanston 12 Year Old and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, the latter of which is on offer for £25 on Amazon for Black Friday.

Are you using parcel motel to get this delivered? Very tempted...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Is there much in the difference taste-wise between the Quarter Cask and the Laphroaig 10 YO?

I still have half a bottle of the 10 YO at home and tempted with the Quarter Cask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Curious how you plan to get this delivered too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

No its being delivered to an address in the North. I love Laphroaig and have been meaning to get the quarter cask for ages. Apparently its more rounded than the 10 but has more contact with the wood so should have more interesting cask influence.

One of my first memories of being excited by a whiskey involved an old bottle of RB.

It would have been around 1989 and myself and two pals decided to sample from one of the lad's parent's drinks cabinet. (the parents were non drinkers)
    I don't recall anything about the bottle other than it was Red Breast and we had no idea how long it was there. I think RB was out of production at the time.

What I do remember is two of us being blown away by this whiskey - we had never had anything like it before.

It truly was a mesmerising dram. Fair dues to those who donated it for the tasting. I'd be guarding it with me life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Is there much in the difference taste-wise between the Quarter Cask and the Laphroaig 10 YO?

I still have half a bottle of the 10 YO at home and tempted with the Quarter Cask

There's definitely subtle differences. I haven't compared side by side but I'd say the QC is sweeter but also has more of a bite to it? Still has a full whack of peat though. Plus it's 46% ABV compared to the 10's 40%. Definitely a must-try if you like Laphroaig, as the quarter cask maturation is interesting to try. Still not sure which of the two I prefer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Discussing best ways to illegally circumvent customs isn't allowed in this forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Picked up a Talisker for €30 in Tesco, hard not to really. They also had Cardu 12 Year Old and Bushmills 10 year old for the same price.

They also have Drumshanbo single Pot Still in there for €50 which is a decent price compared to other places.

My stock right now:

1 x Talisker 10
    1 x Method and Madness Single Malt
    1 x Drunshambo Single Pot still
    1 x Red Breast 12
    1 x Blue Spot
    1 x Buffalo Trace for cocktail purposes!
    1 x Middleton Barry Crockett sample (50ml)

That'll do for the moment!

That

adrian522 wrote: »
    Picked up a Talisker for €30 in Tesco, hard not to really. They also had Cardu 12 Year Old and Bushmills 10 year old for the same price.

They also have Drumshanbo single Pot Still in there for €50 which is a decent price compared to other places.

My stock right now:

1 x Talisker 10
    1 x Method and Madness Single Malt
    1 x Drunshambo Single Pot still
    1 x Red Breast 12
    1 x Blue Spot
    1 x Buffalo Trace for cocktail purposes!
    1 x Middleton Barry Crockett sample (50ml)

That'll do for the moment!

That
    Are you trying to demonstrate some self-control here? You're fooling no-one! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are you trying to demonstrate some self-control here? You're fooling no-one! :p

There's no more room on the shelf so need to concentrate on the drinking rather than the buying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm going to have to do some shopping. I have a bottle of Jameson Gold Reserve, Waterford Pilgrimage (neither for opening) and half a bottle of Woodford Reserve. I doubt I'll be getting much from suppliers this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Last Christmas I went down the well trodden route of a JD&C, but i tried it with some Fever Tree Madagascan Cola (notions, i know :rolleyes: ) and it was lovely.

Thinking of going the same route this xmas but haven’t seen that cola stocked anywhere. Might anyone have spotted it? Last time i got it was from Dunnes as part of a whiskey mixing four pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

1901Rory wrote: »
    Last Christmas I went down the well trodden route of a JD&C, but i tried it with some Fever Tree Madagascan Cola (notions, i know :rolleyes: ) and it was lovely.

Thinking of going the same route this xmas but haven’t seen that cola stocked anywhere. Might anyone have spotted it? Last time i got it was from Dunnes as part of a whiskey mixing four pack.

Havent seen it Im afraid... Fentimans curiosity cola might be an interesting one to try if you spot that. Or a premium ginger ale mixer with a splash of classic coke. Maybe a dash of bitters also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got it somewhere recently, but can’t remember where. I’ll have a think and hopefully it’ll come to me.

I prefer the fentimans though myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

1901Rory wrote: »

Classic drinks in Cork distribute it to the restaurant trade and some off licenses.

Pop them an email and see if there are stockists in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any idea if this will be available in lidl Ireland?

Any idea if this will be available in lidl Ireland?

Not a notion. But I'll be getting one of the expats to stock up in London next week.

Found myself in Tesco Merrion and of course I went looking for a Talisker. Last one out back! It's been a jammy fortnight in that regard.

All your fault Adrian.

attachment.php?attachmentid=534373&d=1606498342

Lovely plummy aroma. Just going to have a small one to taste before White Hag's Stout and Oyster night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Local O'brien's rang me this evening

Blue spot in store for collection

Just on the whiskey live Friday night event

Found myself in Tesco Merrion and of course I went looking for a Talisker. Last one out back! It's been a jammy fortnight in that regard.

All your fault Adrian.

[Img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=534373&d=1606498342

Lovely plummy aroma. Just going to have a small one to taste before White Hag's Stout and Oyster night.

Mine was the last one on the shelf too. Can't go wrong at that price in fairness. It's a nice Smokey whisky without being peaty. Very nice example of an island whisky.

Doing the White Hag stout and Oyster night now and if you weren't into oysters you got the option of some Lough Gill Athrú samples or 24 oysters. No brainer really.

attachment.php?attachmentid=534396&d=1606506515

That being said, I am into oysters so I went and bought some oysters in Kish Fish yesterday as I couldn't not have them during a stout festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Mine was the last one on the shelf too. Can't go wrong at that price in fairness. It's a nice Smokey whisky without being peaty. Very nice example of an island whisky.

Last one on shelf in Tesco Wilton too at 5pm! Happy days

Last one on shelf in Tesco Wilton too at 5pm! Happy days

Sorry, meant to ask, in Cork store the Talisker 10 yr old wasn't highlighted as being on offer at all, and didn't jump out as being on sale in any way on the shelf showing the price point
    Also just checked the website, and not highlighted in any normal "yellow" way that an offer is on the cards.Is this normal with Tesco whiskey offers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Doing the White Hag stout and Oyster night now and if you weren't into oysters you got the option of some Lough Gill Athrú samples or 24 oysters. No brainer really.

I posted about this and forgot all about it! What did you get and what was the damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Sorry, meant to ask, in Cork store the Talisker 10 yr old wasn't highlighted as being on offer at all, and didn't jump out as being on sale in any way on the shelf showing the price point
    Also just checked the website, and not highlighted in any normal "yellow" way that an offer is on the cards.Is this normal with Tesco whiskey offers?

Around this time of year it is common enough. I noticed last week the Roe and Co just had the normal white label but was €25, Thursday evening I was there and the Cardhu and Three Swallows were white labels. I find the website is a bit like that year round, you go in looking for special offers and see nothing decent but then find say a crate of beer reduced when you actually go to the shop. No idea why that is.

I've no idea, in Rathfarnham it wasn't marked with a price at all but was €30 on the till at checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've completely gone off the bottle of laphroig 10 I got. If anyone near the south Dublin area wants to take a half bottle, feel free to PM me. :D

I posted about this and forgot all about it! What did you get and what was the damage?

I can throw you our the score card as it is for me (J) and my mate (G):

534418.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Did a bruichladdich tasting tonight. Some lovely whisky. Favourites were the Octomore 11.1 and Port Charlotte OLC:01. They were all between 48-59%. Up at 5:30am for work. Should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Black Barrel going down a treat with the cold night and a roaring fire on. Think it might be my favourite drink ever not to mind whiskey.

Did a bruichladdich tasting tonight. Some lovely whisky. Favourites were the Octomore 11.1 and Port Charlotte OLC:01. They were all between 48-59%. Up at 5:30am for work. Should be fun!

Just so you know, I'm strumming the smallest viola known to man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Black Art 25yo (rrp £300!) and Port Charlotte MRC for me... amnt one for peat monsters but thought the 40ppm MRC was tamed and it worked well in the MRC wine cask finish.

As you noted, you can certainly see the influence of Mark Reynier of Waterford Distillery with the emphasis on terroir, use of Islay and Scottish grown barley.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Talisker 10 is getting a right doing....I hope Tesco are well replinished over the weekend, or I'll be opening something that has been put away for safe keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll be back. This offer has happened for two or three years prior to this and it always reappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was going to ask for a Scotch recommendation to add to my little collection. Currently have about 10 bottles and it's all Irish.

Assume Talisker 10 is the one to add after the talk here? Fairly new to whiskey but enjoying the trial and error of finding things I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Finished off the Púca tonight. A really nice surprise over the last few weeks, easy to sip and enjoy. I picked up some Tullamore rum cask finish in SuperValu for the next few weeks. Not to everyone's taste for sure but a nice bottle in the rotation.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dobman88 wrote: »
    Was going to ask for a Scotch recommendation to add to my little collection. Currently have about 10 bottles and it's all Irish.

Assume Talisker 10 is the one to add after the talk here? Fairly new to whiskey but enjoying the trial and error of finding things I like.
    Its smoky/briny taste is not everyone's cup of tea so caveat emptor! Though like many others here, I'm a big fan.

The Cardhu, also currently @ €30 in Tesco, is a great bargain too and much less likely to offend. I'll be picking up a bottle or two in the next few weeks.

Master of Malt advent... Last night was Fillibuster Boondoggle.

OK, a very interesting bourbon. I gather that Fillibuster is located (or was) near Washington DC, hence the name. This bourbon is all sourced, and its 'thing' is that it has multiple finishes... New World white oak, sherry and red wine. I have to say, genuinely one of the best noses since the beginning of this project. This is not dissimilar in concept to the Whistle Pig Old World that I finished a few months ago, except that was four times the price per bottle. I actually think I prefer the Fillibuster... This is very vivid, vinous and fruity, a treat. In the mouth it's somewhat boozy and rough, but on the whole if I could get this for the U.S price (sub $40) I would consider it a bargain. I would think we're unlikely to see it on shelves over here, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dobman88 wrote:

No, if you've all Irish, try Cardhu or another speyside, they're more like Irish whiskey. Lighter and more floral.

Tallisker is more peated, oily and well Scottish. Go easily into the world of Scotch, try samples of the various styles. No use shelling out fir full bottles until you know which ones you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Talguetler wrote: »
    Finished off the Púca tonight. A really nice surprise over the last few weeks, easy to sip and enjoy. I picked up some Tullamore rum cask finish in SuperValu for the next few weeks. Not to everyone's taste for sure but a nice bottle in the rotation.

How do the 2 compare?
    I haven't had the tullamore but I think the Puca is really rummy!

brinty wrote: »
    No, if you've all Irish, try Cardhu or another speyside, they're more like Irish whiskey. Lighter and more floral.

Tallisker is more peated, oily and well Scottish. Go easily into the world of Scotch, try samples of the various styles. No use shelling out fir full bottles until you know which ones you like.

Worth shelling out 30 euro for though imo, can't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Worth shelling out 30 euro for though imo, can't go too far wrong.

You can go completely wrong if you don't like peated whisky so it's not worth shelling out for a bottle until you've tried it.

You can go completely wrong if you don't like peated whisky so it's not worth shelling out for a bottle until you've tried it.

Fair point, but for me the first whiskey I ever tasted after a Jameson or Powers was an Ardbeg , while working in Scotland for a stint.It actually led me into trying different Islay whiskeys , and now exploring more Irish ones too.I don't think there is any right or wrong way to go about widening ones collection, or indeed ones palate.Go for it for 30 euro!

I would also go with the idea that an Islay whisky - even a very peaty one from Ardbeg or Laphroaig - is not necessarily something to be put off by. When my friends and I got into drinking whisky in the noughties it was Islay whiskies that lit the fire of enthusiasm.

If someone is already into whisky in general then I don't see that it's a big risk to take a punt on a Talisker 10 at 30 euro... At that price, even if you don't like it that much I'm not sure it's much worse value than buying a single measure of something online or from a pub... And Talisker 10 is not exactly even amongst the smokiest of whiskies in the great scheme of things.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement