Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Cazale wrote: »
    €48 in my local Tesco today.

mine too, very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Hogzy wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the correct thread but could people recommend a whiskey for me.

My favourite whiskeys are:

1. Black Bush
    2. Teeling Small Batch and Single Grain.

I am not mad on regular Jameson, i find it goes down too harsh on my throat and almost burns. Based on that, has anyone any recommendations?

Redbreast 12yo... it'll give you a taste of quality.
    If you want to try a peaty scotch, Tallisker 12yo
    Jameson black barrel is a nice starter whisky too, have a look at Japanese whisky.. Nikka from the barrel is tasty, not expensive and at 57% you can water it down

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd second Black Barrel, very smooth and tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

So folks prefer Black Barrell over everyday Jameson and Crested Ten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Depends on what you want.
    Personally, I like Jameson and ginger, but i couldn't drink Jameson or Crested Ten neat, but Black Barrell is different, give me a glass of that neat and I'm a happy camper!. Also, people might think its a waste but BB makes a lovely Irish coffee also

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I use Black Barrel in whiskey sours, tastes great! I like it on the rocks too, as with Caskmates. Jameson Original I would only really have with ginger & lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Depends on what you want.
    Personally, I like Jameson and ginger, but i couldn't drink Jameson or Crested Ten neat, but Black Barrell is different, give me a glass of that neat and I'm a happy camper!. Also, people might think its a waste but BB makes a lovely Irish coffee also

Are blasphemers tolerated on this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Birthday coming up soon so I think a nice bottle of whiskey is in order. Can you folks please recommend me a good quality whiskey up to €200 max? I love midleton very rare but looking for something a little different. Not too fond of peaty scotch, or what I've tried so far anyway which is fairly limited.

Wailin wrote: »
    Birthday coming up soon so I think a nice bottle of whiskey is in order. Can you folks please recommend me a good quality whiskey up to €200 max? I love midleton very rare but looking for something a little different. Not too fond of peaty scotch, or what I've tried so far anyway which is fairly limited.

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/auctions/113_the-75th-auction/?filter%5B%5D=13

Scotch Whisky auctions current auction has a few good Irish offerings that may suit your budget depending on how the bidding goes.

I've never tasted crested ten. But it's a step up from Jameson.

Seems to get mixed reviews here. But I loved it. It's a rare a bottle doesn't last me a fair bit. The black barrel vanished!

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »

Redbreast 21. Thank me later.

Ah I just noted your something different. Not sure this will fall into your list.

I'd get it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Dunnes are doing the single pot still whiskeys of Middleton gift set for 30 euro. You get a bottle of Redbreast 12 yr old, Green spot, Powers John Lane release and Barry Crockett legacy Middleton. All 50ml bottles. Good way to try some of the dearer whiskeys without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Cazale wrote: »
    Dunnes are doing the single pot still whiskeys of Middleton gift set for 30 euro. You get a bottle of Redbreast 12 yr old, Green spot, Powers John Lane release and Barry Crockett legacy Middleton. All 50ml bottles. Good way to try some of the dearer whiskeys without breaking the bank.

friggin robbery mate, you'd be charged less in a decent pub for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

brinty wrote: »

No, you wouldn't. For 50ml?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

brinty wrote:

What pub can you get four 50ml glasses of the whiskeys above for less than 30 euro? I must make a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

€50 more or less where I work for a 35ml measure of each

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

brinty wrote: »

Nonsense.

Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy is €210 for a 70cl bottle in the Celtic Whiskey Shop which works out at about €15 for 5cl.

A fiver each for 5cl of the other three is fair enough (as 70cl bottles sell for about €60 to €70) which adds up to a respectable €30 for the lot.

dreamers75 wrote: »

It's a good entry level Bourbon as well as the likes of Buffalo Trace. Maybe check out a few tasting reviews on youtube. Whiskybase.com is also a good website for ratings and opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

dreamers75 wrote: »

Big fan, recently finished a bottle and replaced it. great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Very new to whiskey. Was in O'Briens last week and tried Writer's Tears, had to pick up a bottle today. Its really good. They also have a Slane whiskey I tried, just as good, if a little more bite. Not too used to that kind of thing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

Powers john lane or yellow spot this evening.... Decisions decisions

John Lane ;)

Yellow spot
    Might have one meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Yellow Spot for me too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

nkav86 wrote: »
    Very new to whiskey. Was in O'Briens last week and tried Writer's Tears, had to pick up a bottle today. Its really good. They also have a Slane whiskey I tried, just as good, if a little more bite. Not too used to that kind of thing yet!

Picked up a bottle of writers tears copper pot - have to say it is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Picked up a bottle of writers tears copper pot - have to say it is lovely.

That's what I'm having. Its a really easy drink, there's a bite but it's not overpowering. I'm really enjoying it neat

Treated myself to Redbreast 12 Cask Strength.

I'm not much good at the auld notes but will give it a go.

Beautiful nose: burnt caramel/ brown sugar, very slight bit of fruit in the back, milk chocolate.

taste: oily, those slightly dark fruits are coming through a bit more, vanilla quality, spicy, grainy potstill character, slight tanin or something of that nature.

A teaspoon of water is definitely needed at that abv. Very good value for the quality.

Definitely one of the best Irish Whiskies I've had not just in a long time but ever.

It's approx the same price as the 15yo ... but it's a much more flavoursome whisky and much better value for money imo

I do have the 12 cask and love it, but as said above it does require a drop of water.
    Is it worth getting the 15 yo, or hold out a bit and get the 21?

• Advertisement

Loved the cask strength red breast, few sips and I was in mellow heaven.

Haven't tried yellow spot yet, sitting on shelf. Did have john lane and it was very good, switched to a caskmates after a couple so it could be savoured another night.

Yellow spot got great feedback here so looking forward to that.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I do have the 12 cask and love it, but as said above it does require a drop of water.
    Is it worth getting the 15 yo, or hold out a bit and get the 21?

I haven't tried the 15 but when I was researching the 12 cask strength it seemed to be preferred over the 15 and not too far off the 21 in terms of ratings and reviews.

I'm going to go for the Green Spot Leoville Barton next.

I haven't tried the 15 but when I was researching the 12 cask strength it seemed to be preferred over the 15 and not too far off the 21 in terms of ratings and reviews.

I found the Green Spot be only ok, bought it, drank it.and wouldn't be pushed in buying it again tbh

Erik Shin wrote: »
    I found the Green Spot be only ok, bought it, drank it.and wouldn't be pushed in buying it again tbh

Interesting, I have tried Green Spot and John's Lane but not the new offerings.

I was intrigued by the dry wine finish described in the Barton tastings.

We shall see may go for a Bourbon instead.

Good to know, may stretch for the 21 so, or go for a few samples :D

I love the green spot myself, just finished a bottle, but never tried that Leoville Barton edition, will add it to my list.

Interesting, I have tried Green Spot and John's Lane but not the new offerings.

I was intrigued by the dry wine finish described in the Barton tastings.

We shall see may go for a Bourbon instead.

Just my opinion though...I did like the Redbreast Lustau edition, would be tempted to buy that again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I see Prize Fight Whiskey being pushed a bit on Facebook. I don't see any stockists in Limerick though. Just wondering if it is worth trying?

https://www.facebook.com/prizefightwhiskey/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

denismac wrote: »
    I see Prize Fight Whiskey being pushed a bit on Facebook. I don't see any stockists in Limerick though. Just wondering if it is worth trying?

https://www.facebook.com/prizefightwhiskey/

Doesn't say who makes it, doesn't say where it was made, doesn't have the usual claim to be building a distillery somewhere. In the absense of any other info I would pay the price you pay for any other generic Cooley/Bushmills/IDL customer whiskey, which should be quite low.

L1011 wrote: »
    Doesn't say who makes it, doesn't say where it was made, doesn't have the usual claim to be building a distillery somewhere. In the absense of any other info I would pay the price you pay for any other generic Cooley/Bushmills/IDL customer whiskey, which should be quite low.

West cork distillery and they use American rye barrels in the aging process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

West cork distillery and they use American rye barrels in the aging process

Maybe they do, when they actually produce it. I doubt if they've bottled any for sale yet.

Their website recomends adding peppermint to it. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

West cork distillery

Enough to ensure I wouldn't buy it at all then

Writers tear, enjoyable but at 8.50 a pop it doesn't stand out. These things are better tried at home, lesson learned.

I'm thinking red 15yo next purchase
    , a sure thing.... Shirley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Writers tear, enjoyable but at 8.50 a pop it doesn't stand out. These things are better tried at home, lesson learned.

Its available at circa 40 a bottle, so on that sense I find it good value. 8.50 for 35ml I would find steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any recommendations for a smokey scotch that's available to buy in Ireland?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a smokey scotch that's available to buy in Ireland?

Tallisker 10yo is a good starting point, not too expensive, €40+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Maybe they do, when they actually produce it. I doubt if they've bottled any for sale yet.

It seems to be available in most cities except in Limerick or Clare.

Tallisker 10yo is a good starting point, not too expensive, €40+

Where's the best place to get this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Where's the best place to get this?

Not being a smart arse, but just about anywhere.
    A half decent off licence, SuperValu, Tesco, it's a common enough whisky..the price wont vary too much between the multiples, you may be an extra €3-4 in smaller off licenses , but I'd do that anyway to support the local shops

Not being a smart arse, but just about anywhere.
    A half decent off licence, SuperValu, Tesco, it's a common enough whisky..the price wont vary too much between the multiples, you may be an extra €3-4 in smaller off licenses , but I'd do that anyway to support the local shops

Picked it up in Tesco's, €52.00

Wouldn't say it's exactly smokey but nice none the less.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Just had a Midelton rare whilst out
    OMG where have you been all my life
    It's soooooooooo smooth and easily drank
    Good job it's so expensive or I'd be getting through a bottle in no time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement