Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My box arrived on the Tuesday. There's fresh limes and basil in there so I'm guessing they don't want to post it too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

L1011 wrote: »
    Did anyone who managed to get in on the Bushmills tasting offer last week get the box yet?

My slots not til Thursday so plenty of time left.

Thanks for the reminder. I'd completely forgotten I'd signed up for that.

Slight fixture crisis for me this week. Glengoyne tasting Wednesday. Michter tasting Thursday, half an hour before the Bushmills tasting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Thanks for the reminder. I'd completely forgotten I'd signed up for that.

Slight fixture crisis for me this week. Glengoyne tasting Wednesday. Michter tasting Thursday, half an hour before the Bushmills tasting!

Thanks for that reminder. I thought the Bristol Rum tasting was the same night as the Glengoyne; thankfully it's on the 9th... Phew!

Thanks for that reminder. I thought the Bristol Rum tasting was the same night as the Glengoyne; thankfully it's on the 9th... Phew!

I'm thinking Thursday I'll just start drinking at lunchtime and I should be primed to power through the two tastings later!

irish_goat wrote: »
    My box arrived on the Tuesday. There's fresh limes and basil in there so I'm guessing they don't want to post it too early.

Which courier delivers it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Which courier delivers it?

I got a GLS tracking number but Parcelforce delivered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GLS handle Parcelforce in the UK; I would have expected the packages to be posted *from* the UK though!

I'm thinking Thursday I'll just start drinking at lunchtime and I should be primed to power through the two tastings later!

My Flaviar Rum samples arrived this morning, and I've a midnight deadline to finish a project. Decided to give one of them a run tonight.

Went for this:

https://www.drinkstore.ie/Ron-Zacapa-Centenario-XO-Solera-Gran-Reserva-Especial-700ML-7401005004544-9843/1/

It's lovely stuff altogether. Just one ice cube to open it up and voila.

We'll soon need a proper rum thread.

---

Still on Flaviar, I'm still waiting on them to send the Bowmore , but they keep playing stockroom chicken with me and cancelling the order but giving me €5 credit when they do. At this rate I think I'll get the Bushmills 10 at some point as my quarterly selection and use the credits for something truly special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Going through a bottle of Black Bush. The missus is having some muff gin after the discussion earlier. Innuendo purely coincidental.

We'll soon need a proper rum thread.

Sounds like a plan!

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote:
    I bought a bottle of the Lomhar this week on ebay. Was less than 500 but more than 400. TBH im just going to try offload it or lotto it if I can. Dunno why I bought it! Complete impulse purchase. No interest in the waterford stuff.

One bottle up on Celtic Whiskey Auctions tonight going for €875 with an hour to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Opened dingle batch 5. Really nice. Never tasted anything so fruity. Reminds me of frosties sweets and drinking red aftershock. Nicer. What I expected from glendronach 12 but the glendronach was subtle by comparison

janiejones wrote:
    Opened dingle batch 5. Really nice. Never tasted anything so fruity. Reminds me of frosties sweets and drinking red aftershock. Nicer. What I expected from glendronach 12 but the glendronach was subtle by comparison

Tried that recently. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This thread will have me in AA

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

The cousins from Campbeltown arrived today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Joke was on me thinking that bottle of Roe and Co would be a Christmas whiskey. Very smooth and goes down way too easy. Bought for sale price with a voucher discount also but think I'd still buy at full price.

This thread will have me in AA

You reckon you'll get to acceptance? :P

dobman88 wrote: »
    Joke was on me thinking that bottle of Roe and Co would be a Christmas whiskey. Very smooth and goes down way too easy. Bought for sale price with a voucher discount also but think I'd still buy at full price.

I brought the rest of my bottle over to my friends' place for after last Friday's Stout and Athrú tastings. It lasted no length.

I brought the rest of my bottle over to my friends' place for after last Friday's Stout and Athrú tastings. It lasted no length.

I can see how that would happen. Missus is enjoying a sup too. Plan for powers 3 swallows as a present to get locked with the sister in law at xmas will be changed to the Roe and Co I think. Could definitely just sit there and go through a bottle or 2 with the music on and the chats flowing.

I'll join you in a Roe & Co. Very easily drunk as you say. Got the father in law a litre bottle of Powers gold label in Tesco for €25. Can't beat that for value. I'll help him with it over Christmas.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    I'll join you in a Roe & Co. Very easily drunk as you say. Got the father in law a litre bottle of Powers gold label in Tesco for €25. Can't beat that for value. I'll help him with it over Christmas.

Slainte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Making a dent in my bottle too! Sláinte lads.

50666668112_39b1902c27_c.jpg

dobman88 wrote:
    Slainte

Wailin wrote:
    Making a dent in my bottle too! Sláinte lads.

Slainte

Decided on all peat tonight. Had some Highland Park 12, Bunnahabhain Toiteach a Dha and some Blackpitts. The Blackpitts stood up well against the other two in fairness.

Friend of mine just text me there to say that his black bush pack had been cancelled and refund as they've no stock and oversold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Friend of mine just text me there to say that his black bush pack had been cancelled and refund as they've no stock and oversold.

Disaster.

I think mine just arrived in the folks...
    Am signed up for friday evening.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Three drams have announced their tasting for December:

Currach Single Malt Wakame Founders Cask. Bottled at Cask Strength (58.4% ABV).

Spade & Bushel 14 Year Old marsala cask finish

Two Stacks Smoke & Mirrors peated stout cask finished single malt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Redbreast 12yo cheers all !

A classic. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

No such message (or refund), yet... they'd want to have shipped today to be sure of Thursday though.

No such message (or refund), yet... they'd want to have shipped today to be sure of Thursday though.

I'm booked for Thursday too. No message, refund or whiskey so hopefully it'll just turn up tomorrow.

Lovely stuff. Fire's a nice touch.

Having a Mikkeller Kölsch, so will be holding off on the Uisce this evening.

Unsurprisingly, cos it's Mikkeller, it's a stunning and clean and fresh iteration of Kölsch style.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Nice start to Advent ;)

HMSd95p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Midleton Very Rare 2020 Virtual Launch with Sonny Molloy's Bar Galway
    Thu, 10 December 2020
    19:30 – 21:00 GMT
    €60

Over the past few years, it’s become a lovely traditional in Sonny Molloy’s to host the on-trade launch of Midleton Very Rare in the bar. We wanted to keep the annual ritual going so this year we’re taking the event online!

We're beyond excited to host the First Official Tasting of the Midleton Very Rare 2020, albeit virtually this year. There has been so much excitement around this whiskey, that we’re delighted to share in tasting it with you.

The support acts for this tasting are very impressive too and include: Blue Spot 7 Year Old Cask Strength and Midleton Dair Ghaelach Knockrath Forest Tree 7.
    We’re delighted to have Ger Garland, Irish Whiskey Ambassador with Irish Distillers, host this special tasting for us via Zoom. Your Whiskey will be posted out in advance and Ger will lead you through each whiskey and it really promises to be a wonderful celebration of Irish Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

I'm booked for Thursday too. No message, refund or whiskey so hopefully it'll just turn up tomorrow.

I'm booked for Friday and got my kit today. Great bit of kit. I should have gotten 2 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm booked Thursday, and mine arrived 7.30pm today.

Who delivered it? Hardly An Post?

GLS was mentioned up-thread. I know when Fastway, DPD, An Post and UPS come here but not when GLS come; but there's always one of us here all day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

I'm signed up for Saturday. Mine arrived about 7. Courier said he had deliveries till 10 PM and then home to Belfast. I'm in south Meath.

Jaypers. Sure we'll see the mara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I’m signed up for Friday. No sign of it yet and no email or refund either so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re: the Black Bush event, if you are signed up to the Friday @7pm slot, could you PM the zoom link?

In a clerical error I signed up for Thursday @7pm by mistake :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Awaiting my kit for Saturdays session.

Also, I know little about the intricacies of whiskey other than what I like and dont like.

I find the caskmates stout series lovely, weirdly because normal jemmy tears the throat off me and causes raging heartburn.

Happy to try out different ones and only recently purchased Liberties collab with Rascals and its lovely.

Few more bottles in the house that I'll give a rattle over xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Who delivered it? Hardly An Post?

I'm not sure who the private delivery firm were. No label at all on the box.
    Didn't know what it was at first. Box had a fragile label on it, and the contents were clattering around so I presumed whatever the contents were, that they were broken. But it was just the small bottles, glasses and shaker clinking off each other.

flended12 wrote:
    I find the caskmates stout series lovely, weirdly because normal jemmy tears the throat off me and causes raging heartburn.

I thought that was a bit meh when I first tried it but revisited it recently and really enjoyed it. Ended up finishing a bottle off of it.

Teeling Brabazon 4 - €95. Released next Monday.

The highly anticipated fourth release from the Brabazon series. This whiskey is a celebration of the old and the new. This is 13 year old single malt, produced with Carcevelos (white port) barrels from Portugal, a style of fortified wine dating back to the 18th century. Filled with Teeling's single malt distilled in 2007 and left to mature here for over two years. Initially aged in port casks followed by a finishing period of over two years in Carcevelos White Port Barrels . Limited to just 10,000 bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Received my Bushmills tasting box for tomorrow evening, delivered by RBL Couriers out of Bangor, Co.Down.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Any had the writer's tear mizunara finish? Overheard one of the guys in CWS going on about it last week to a customer, and piqued my interest and this week it's reduced a little. I need another bottle like I need a hole in the head, but you know. Tis Cask Strength

oleras wrote: »
    Received my Bushmills tasting box for tomorrow evening, delivered by RBL Couriers out of Bangor, Co.Down.

Mate just got an email from them that due to the contents it WILL be delivered today or tomorrow for those still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Got the Bushmills box as well today for tomorrow's tasting. Some value for £10, thanks to whoever posted it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement