Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

My two boxes have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have some Blue spot ordered. Looking forward to trying it as I enjoyed the Green spot.
    It's 58% though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I have some Blue spot ordered. Looking forward to trying it as I enjoyed the Green spot.
    It's 58% though.

I’ve seen Red spot in my off licence but gear very little about it. Any good?

On another note, my Finnish whisky arrived today. Looking forward to that

Daughters first birthday today. Have some redbreast 27 year old to celebrate. However I won't be drinking it tonight as the father in law is over. He poured himself a massive glass from one of my fancy whiskeys before despite my protestations and then proceeded to pour it down the sink when he didn't like it. Ever since he's banned from even looking at my collection. He'll be getting some Powers gold tonight and I'll have the RB27 at the weekend.

Dtp1979 wrote:

What is it? I got some Kyro whiskey and a branded kyro glass in this months pour and sip pack. Didn't know they made whiskey in Finland until it arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cazale wrote: »
    Daughters first birthday today. Have some redbreast 27 year old to celebrate. However I won't be drinking it tonight as the father in law is over. He poured himself a massive glass from one of my fancy whiskeys before despite my protestations and then proceeded to pour it down the sink when he didn't like it. Ever since he's banned from even looking at my collection. He'll be getting some Powers gold tonight and I'll have the RB27 at the weekend.

Grounds for emancipation that

What is it? I got some Kyro whiskey and a branded kyro glass in this months pour and sip pack. Didn't know they made whiskey in Finland until it arrived.

I didn’t know they made whisky in Finland until I saw the Eurovision movie. It’s called Floki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No sign of the Bushmills box or any emails here...

Ok I would have hit him with the bottle. I thought you were going to say he added coke to it but pouring it down the sink??? Asssshole!!

When you empty your redbreast bottle, refill it with the cheapest muck you can find and save it for him. He’ll think he’s getting the good stuff and you get to have a laugh to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Grounds for emancipation that

Castration would be more appropriate.

Haha funnily enough my own daughters first birthday is this Saturday and I have some RB26 to drink. Father in law is coming over but I won’t be sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Any judge in the land would look.favourably on your actions. Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Haha funnily enough my own daughters first birthday is this Saturday and I have some RB26 to drink. Father in law is coming over but I won’t be sharing.

A little sup is the least you could offer him after deflowering his daughter!

Im joking..no banhammer :)

Picked up a Blue Spot to try it out, a Redbreast 12yo cask strength as I was out... & nikka from the barrel as I was low.....wages come and go my friends ;)

Dtp1979 wrote:

A special whiskey for a special day. Enjoy it!

dobman88 wrote:
    Any judge in the land would look.favourably on your actions. Jaysus

It was an unopened bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail still in its box which he opened it when I wasn't looking. Poured about 80ml into a glass and then gave off that there was a smell of smoke off it. Put enough water into it that it was like a diluted orange. Then threw it down the sink. I'm still in counseling over it haha

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Likewise. An exciting day of will it/won't it tomorrow!

Likewise. An exciting day of will it/won't it tomorrow!

As I typed that my doorbell rang. The poor b**** has more deliveries to make before he heads back north too.

An extraordinary amount of stuff for £10.

As I typed that my doorbell rang. The poor b**** has more deliveries to make before he heads back north too.

An extraordinary amount of stuff for £10.

Now, are you south or north of me is the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Same here.

It was an unopened bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail still in its box which he opened it when I wasn't looking. Poured about 80ml into a glass and then gave off that there was a smell of smoke off it. Put enough water into it that it was like a diluted orange. Then threw it down the sink. I'm still in counseling over it haha

I’m sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement

Now, are you south or north of me is the question?

Waterford.

Waterford.

Vastly south then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

OldRio wrote: »
    Same here.

Same here. My tasting/class is tomorrow evening so im hoping they come tomorrow.

I'm starting to imagine a whiskey courier version of Paul Revere, or possibly the courier from Good Omens, having to quest down boards members houses to give them glassware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Waterford.

Good grief I'm in Leitrim. I'd imagine his ETA here will be about 3 am. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm in Carlow but not doing the tasting until Friday, wonder will I get a delivery at the same time tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I think Red spot is around €120 for 15yr old so I might try find a miniature before taking the leap to a full bottle.

I never knew there was a Finnish whiskey. Will you put up how it goes?

I'm in Carlow but not doing the tasting until Friday, wonder will I get a delivery at the same time tomorrow night.

He actually just arrived, fair play to him. Last stop tonight he said.

Its unbelievable value for £10, I might not be able to do the tasting live but will try the recipes on the sheet at some stage anyway.

Its unbelievable value for £10, I might not be able to do the tasting live but will try the recipes on the sheet at some stage anyway.

Should have said that anyone was to tell him I'm up til midnight here :pac:

Where are you based?

Nowt in Islandbridge at all at all!

• Advertisement

Where are you based?

Nowt in Islandbridge at all at all!

I'm in Carlow.

I'm in Carlow.

Checks out if he was in Waterford earlier.

This is like waiting for Santa. But better, cos there's whiskey in the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I had it as a first taste of the night at the Midleton stand at WhiskeyLive two years ago. Overall I thought it was fruity, fruity, fruity, with the sherry and Marsala wine influence showing through strongly. A klaxon of blackberry and raspberry jam in the mouth.

Very good. Better than the Yellow Spot for me, but not better than the Green Spot. But if your taste leans more towards heavily sherried and sweet drams it would be but I guess that’s not me.

I've a night ahead of me with my head stuck in a project. Gonna be a long one anyway.

Anyway after cracking into Day 2 of my Mikkeller Advent Calendar (Warpigs Christmas Cruncher DIPA [delicious, not too heavy and the right amount of hoppy]) I have decided to nip back into the Kilbeggan 8 after a few weeks of it being left to its own devices.

Such a delicious drop so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For me, Red Spot is streets ahead of the other 'Spots'. That doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion though, so I guess it just suits my palate. Must get another bottle in (have drained three) as haven't had it in a while. I did have some Powers 14 Temple Bar recently though, and it's very similar to Red Spot if my memory is correct.

For me, Red Spot is streets ahead of the other 'Spots'. That doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion though, so I guess it just suits my palate. Must get another bottle in (have drained three) as haven't had it in a while. I did have some Powers 14 Temple Bar recently though, and it's very similar to Red Spot if my memory is correct.

I liked Redspot but didn't think it was worth the extra - Yellow is my favourite. Haven't tried the Blue Spot yet though and it sounds like my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

I liked Redspot but didn't think it was worth the extra - Yellow is my favourite. Haven't tried the Blue Spot yet though and it sounds like my cup of tea.

Yellow Spot for me slso,although the tasting i did last weekend of 50ml of each spot wasn't a very good idea in hindsight.

I've a night ahead of me with my head stuck in a project. Gonna be a long one anyway.

Anyway after cracking into Day 2 of my Mikkeller Advent Calendar (Warpigs Christmas Cruncher DIPA [delicious, not too heavy and the right amount of hoppy]) I have decided to nip back into the Kilbeggan 8 after a few weeks of it being left to its own devices.

Such a delicious drop so it is.

And from that onto some Black Barrel.

It's actually great to be able to taste the spiciness come out after the mildness of the Kilbeggan.

The BB opened up with a couple of ice cubes is a delight.

And from that onto some Black Barrel.

It's actually great to be able to taste the spiciness come out after the mildness of the Kilbeggan.

The BB opened up with a couple of ice cubes is a delight.

Tucked into a black barrel there! God its such an easy drinker, almost dangerously so.

Panned out in front of the tv, annual leave for the rest of the week! Heat up, freezing outside. ZEN!!!

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Tucked into a black barrel there! God its such an easy drinker, almost dangerously so.

Panned out in front of the tv, annual leave for the rest of the week! Heat up, freezing outside. ZEN!!!

Can I interest you in some scotch? :P

Yeah, my bottle is dangerously low so I had been conserving it tbh, but I was in Tesco Ballyfermot today and they have a "barrel-load" so I'm willing to dip into it tonight sure, and top up later on the week.

The spiciness really comes to the fore when you've had something else beforehand I find. It's almost "rum-like" as a starter.

Can I interest you in some scotch? :P

Yeah, my bottle is dangerously low so I had been conserving it tbh, but I was in Tesco Ballyfermot today and they have a "barrel-load" so I'm willing to dip into it tonight sure, and top up later on the week.

The spiciness really comes to the fore when you've had something else beforehand I find. It's almost "rum-like" as a starter.

I must drop the Lagavulin 16 to you! Im given horrific looks from herself if I crack open a "smelly whiskey". Ill need to head to tesco tomorrow and get another black barrel. I just polished off the bottle :o

Its amazing how sweet rum is when you switch to it after whiskey. I have a bottle of diplomatico here. Its some drop! I couldnt drink more than one dram of it though!

Hogzy wrote: »
    I must drop the Lagavulin 16 to you! Im given horrific looks from herself if I crack open a "smelly whiskey". Ill need to head to tesco tomorrow and get another black barrel. I just polished off the bottle :o

Its amazing how sweet rum is when you switch to it after whiskey. I have a bottle of diplomatico here. Its some drop! I couldnt drink more than one dram of it though!

Sure do. I'll gave a cunning plan on Friday evening. I'll keep you posted. :)

---

I've been eyeing up some tasty rums of late with the free money that Flaviar have been giving me because they can't supply Bowmore 12 to me.

Had a drop of this earlier on the week:
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/4550/ron-zacapa-centenario-xo-rum-solera-gran-reserva-especial

I have to say it was gorgeous. Lovely edge to it without being overly sweet. Ideal for a whiskey drinker tbh. Have two other samples of other quality rums there to have a look at this weekend.

They're all too moreish.

---

Gonna round out the night with the Kilbeggan I think. I deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There's two Lagavulin's in looking at for Christmas, and not the normal 16.

The Distillers Edition and the 12 Cask Strength - has anyone tried either?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Master of Malt advent calendar is all done..

I'm a little dissapointed they didn't 'peak' it with a really high end bourbon to finish (This is what seems to happen with the Scotch and Single Cask calendars, although they are pricier).

Brough Bros bourbon - Interesting... Quite delicate, almost like an Irish effort... Reminded me of Natterjack. I gather this is a black owned bourbon distillery, the first in Kentucky apparently.

Hudson baby bourbon - Massive sweet corn hit, nice effort.

Sonoma bourbon - Grand, but I think I preferred the Cherrywood.

I think there might have been one or two others I've missed over the course of recapping, but that's about it.

For anyone interested in surveying pretty much all the major bourbon producers this calendar is an affordable enough way to do it. I would caution that it is pretty light on anything premium - the Balcones was the closest, and the Stagg Jnr. That's fine by me because to be honest no one makes genuinely 'bad' bourbon anymore, but those in search of more interesting bourbons might be better off curating a small amount of samples themselves.

I've put a lot of bourbon away in the past couple of years and for what it's worth, here is my take on it...

If you're broke your best bet is to buy Buffalo Trace on sale. It can do it all. It's a mixing bourbon, it's sipping bourbon.

If you've got a little more money, then you can regularly get Eagle Rare 10 for €45. This is near unbeatable and you can spend more but it's hard to beat at that price.

If you're got money burning a hole in your pocket then after that I still have a soft spot for Elijah Craig (Again, worth hunting for at a reduced price, there's some quirky pricing out there on this, whether it's the original or the NAS). Blanton's is probably my gold standard, but it's priced accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Slattsy wrote: »
    There's two Lagavulin's in looking at for Christmas, and not the normal 16.

The Distillers Edition and the 12 Cask Strength - has anyone tried either?
    I've had a couple of the distiller's editions (2015 and 2018 I think) and they're beautiful. Possibly my favourite whisky. I'm an Islay fan in general so I love the peat, and in these it manages to be strong but subtle, which I know is impossible but it's the best I can do at describing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've had a couple of the distiller's editions (2015 and 2018 I think) and they're beautiful. Possibly my favourite whisky. I'm an Islay fan in general so I love the peat, and in these it manages to be strong but subtle, which I know is impossible but it's the best I can do at describing it!

That's actually perfect for me as i was leaning that way. I'm also an Islay man. Good man!

Slattsy wrote: »
    That's actually perfect for me as i was leaning that way. I'm also an Islay man. Good man!
    Great :)

As a slight aside, if your like the whisky then a (long) weekend in Islay is incredible. The warehouse tour at Lagavulin included samples straight from the cask, it's heaven. Itching to go back...!

There's a ferry from Ballycastle, https://kintyreexpress.com, I only found out after flying to Glasgow and then on to Islay. Met a couple of Irish lads in Ardbeg who told me, couldn't believe I didn't know!

As a slight aside, if your like the whisky then a (long) weekend in Islay is incredible. The warehouse tour at Lagavulin included samples straight from the cask, it's heaven. Itching to go back...!

There's a ferry from Ballycastle,

I'm doing this whenever things get back to normal. Gonna run amok on the island for three or four days.

I'm doing this whenever things get back to normal. Gonna run amok on the island for three or four days.
    It is a brilliant place. We were lucky to have a driver who didn't like whisky. Not sure how easy some of the distilleries are without, but it's well worth it. Look up the special tours, they all do some good ones and the regular one gets very repetitive! Most just do some tasting in the shop if you turn up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Roe & Co €25 in Tesco. Be all over that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement