Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

rob316 wrote: »
    Roe & Co €25 in Tesco. Be all over that

Yep. Got another 2 this morning, one for me, one given to the missus for safe keeping along with a slab of carlsberg for €20 with my €15 off voucher so the lot for €55. Cant beat that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

It is a brilliant place. We were lucky to have a driver who didn't like whisky. Not sure how easy some of the distilleries are without, but it's well worth it. Look up the special tours, they all do some good ones and the regular one gets very repetitive! Most just do some tasting in the shop if you turn up though

Going into the warehouse and trying to mooch some rare whisky is what I'd be after! Did loads of tours in Ireland and like you say they are very repetitive. Could probably give it myself at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yep. Got another 2 this morning, one for me, one given to the missus for safe keeping along with a slab of carlsberg for €20 with my €15 off voucher so the lot for €55. Cant beat that.
    And illegal from 11th January. Remember to make the most of it now, folks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Slattsy wrote: »
    That's actually perfect for me as i was leaning that way. I'm also an Islay man. Good man!

I've only had one Distiller's Edition (2009 I think) and I would mention that it was more sherry-forward than is normal for Lagavulin, not sure whether that's still the case.

BeerNut wrote: »
    And illegal from 11th January. Remember to make the most of it now, folks!

Get outta here with that kinda negativity. I'm sure we are all aware of the voucher situation. Positive vibes only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cazale wrote: »
    I'm doing this whenever things get back to normal. Gonna run amok on the island for three or four days.

Boards.ie trip to Islay? I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Picked up my bottle of Blue Spot earlier, I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl over the weekend along with some South Tyrol produced whiskey sent over by my father in law. Purchased an awful lot of whiskey over the last few months, the only other bottle I'll allow myself before Christmas is something for the hot whiskeys. Perhaps the Roe&Co if I can get a bottle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Tom Dunne wrote: »

I've been aware of that ferry for some time and this was a welcome reminder to look into actually doing it...

I have spent the morning checking out cheeky Port Ellen hotels ... Looks very appealing alright. The walking staggering circuit to the three distilleries mentioned sounds eminently do-able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I think Red spot is around €120 for 15yr old so I might try find a miniature before taking the leap to a full bottle.

I never knew there was a Finnish whiskey. Will you put up how it goes?

Molloys in Tallaght village are doing red spot for 100e. Was tempted last week myself but just stuck to the wine I was sent in for. No idea where in the country you're based but for any South Dublin folk seems to be a pretty good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Did anyone received Bushmills box today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great :)

As a slight aside, if your like the whisky then a (long) weekend in Islay is incredible. The warehouse tour at Lagavulin included samples straight from the cask, it's heaven. Itching to go back...!

There's a ferry from Ballycastle, https://kintyreexpress.com, I only found out after flying to Glasgow and then on to Islay. Met a couple of Irish lads in Ardbeg who told me, couldn't believe I didn't know!
    I'm doing this whenever things get back to normal. Gonna run amok on the island for three or four days.
    It is a brilliant place. We were lucky to have a driver who didn't like whisky. Not sure how easy some of the distilleries are without, but it's well worth it. Look up the special tours, they all do some good ones and the regular one gets very repetitive! Most just do some tasting in the shop if you turn up though

I was straight onto that ferry site to have a look.

Big question, do you start or end in Lagavulin?:D:D:D:D:D

rob316 wrote: »
    Roe & Co €25 in Tesco. Be all over that

FFS. It never stops.

Greg81 wrote: »

I'm still waiting. Terrified to leave the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Molloys in Tallaght village are doing red spot for 100e. Was tempted last week myself but just stuck to the wine I was sent in for. No idea where in the country you're based but for any South Dublin folk seems to be a pretty good price.

Oh is that an in store price? I don't see it on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still waiting for the Bushmills box, got to go to the shops but there's someone else here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Likewise, haven't received mine yet.

I think I got the final slot for Saturday afternoon, as soon as I'd booked I tried again for the father-in-law but it was full. Worried that puts me in danger of being cancelled, but no word yet

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Greg81 wrote: »

Still waiting and I have a slot for today. Not overly hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Given that I actually have my Bushmills last minute box, can someone who's done the tasting fill me in on what's involved? Any prep necessary?

I'd say it'll turn up. They seem to be leaving it late but getting it there in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Given that I actually have my Bushmills last minute box, can someone who's done the tasting fill me in on what's involved? Any prep necessary?

To prepare you should have nearby:-

- A chopping board and knife
    - A tea Towel
    - A pint glass full of cubed ice (not crushed)
    - An egg white if you don't want to use the sachet stuff. (The sachet stuff requires some mixing with warm water so be prepared for that if you prefer)
    - A bottle or glass of water to rinse your palate between tastings.

There'll be a bit of blurb by the Bushmills rep on the distillery and the two different whiskies followed by a tasting of each then the Rebel Chilli guy will take you through making two different cocktails using Black Bush and the Rebel Chili hot sauce.

The whole thing takes about an hour. You can (should) turn your camera on so they can see and interact with their audience. Your microphone will be automatically disabled by them.

Enjoy. I sure did!!

54and56 wrote: »
    To prepare you should have nearby:-

- A chopping board and knife
    - A tea Towel
    - A pint glass full of cubed ice (not crushed)
    - An egg white if you don't want to use the sachet stuff. (The sachet stuff requires some mixing with warm water so be prepared for that if you prefer)
    - A bottle or glass of water to rinse your palate between tastings.

There'll be a bit of blurb by the Bushmills rep on the distillery and the two different whiskies followed by a tasting of each then the Rebel Chilli guy will take you through making two different cocktails using Black Bush and the Rebel Chili hot sauce.

The whole thing takes about an hour. You can (should) turn your camera on so they can see and interact with their audience. Your microphone will be automatically disabled by them.

Enjoy. I sure did!!

Cheers. Given the week I've had I'll be rinsing my palate with beer!

Can confirm that the Bushmills box has arrived but 5min ago to Islandbridge.

Username checks out. :D:D:D:D:D

---

You'll get it. Other D8 folk will be soon enough.

Inchicore/Blackhorse has just received theirs.

Some new Celtic whiskey tastings. I've spent too much on whiskey so I'll have to pass. The redbreast one sounds great though!

Redbreast - €40

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

What better way to kick off  Spring 2021 than with a Redbreast Irish Whiskey Tasting featuring the award winning and most beloved whiskies Ireland has to offer! This special night will feature samples of Redbreast 12 Year Old, 15 Year Old, the very special Lustau CASK STRENGTH and two of our favorites; the Redbreast Celtic Whiskey Exclusive Single Casks from 1997 and 2001. 

Jameson €40

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

Starting the new year with a fantastic chance to try the many (award winning) expressions of Jameson Irish Whiskey side by side, this tasting pack features samples of Jameson Caskmates both the IPA and Stout editions, Jameson Black Barrel, the classic Jameson Crested as well as the Jameson 18 Year Old and 18 Year Bow Street Cask Strength.

Cognac Park - €35

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

We have teamed up with the wonderful Cognac producer Cognac Park to bring to you our first Virtual Cognac Tasting. A family run business created in 1880 by Gaston Tessendier, the Distillery today is a large estate of more than 25 hectares located in the heart of Cognac: the Borderies. Fourth generation Master Blenders, Lilian and Jerome Tessendier, compose their blends of eaux-de-vie to create a style of premium cognacs that are pure, delicate and complex. This tasting pack includes samples of Cognac Park's VSOP, XO, Cigar Blend, Chai No. 8 and Mizunara 10 Year Old.

Tom Dunne wrote:

100% in!

• Advertisement

I've probably just freaked out the Amazon Logistics guy by staring at him as he went to the house next door - UK reg van, rushing, just assumed it might be the sodding whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've been aware of that ferry for some time and this was a welcome reminder to look into actually doing it...

I have spent the morning checking out cheeky Port Ellen hotels ... Looks very appealing alright. The walking staggering circuit to the three distilleries mentioned sounds eminently do-able.
    100% in!

I warn you, the last Boards.ie organised international trip that I was on was directly responsible for 3 marriages and indirectly for another.

Just sayin' like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Pacing the place, peering into the distance at the one road that brings you to the cottage. If that bollox on the next farm drives his van one more time past me I'll swear I'll skin him. Hopes dashed again.
    Waiting.

OldRio wrote: »
    Pacing the place, peering into the distance at the one road that brings you to the cottage. If that bollox on the next farm drives his van one more time past me I'll swear I'll skin him. Hopes dashed again.
    Waiting.

It's a Beckett play we're living

It's a Beckett play we're living

Hopefully Godot arrives with some cocktail kits this time.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote:
    I warn you, the last Boards.ie organised international trip that I was on was directly responsible for 3 marriages and indirectly for another.

I'll marry anybody after three days whisky drinking.

I'll marry anybody after three days whisky drinking.

You should bring the FIL.

Some new Celtic whiskey tastings. I've spent too much on whiskey so I'll have to pass. The redbreast one sounds great though!

Redbreast - €40

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

What better way to kick off  Spring 2021 than with a Redbreast Irish Whiskey Tasting featuring the award winning and most beloved whiskies Ireland has to offer! This special night will feature samples of Redbreast 12 Year Old, 15 Year Old, the very special Lustau CASK STRENGTH and two of our favorites; the Redbreast Celtic Whiskey Exclusive Single Casks from 1997 and 2001. 

Jameson €40

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

Starting the new year with a fantastic chance to try the many (award winning) expressions of Jameson Irish Whiskey side by side, this tasting pack features samples of Jameson Caskmates both the IPA and Stout editions, Jameson Black Barrel, the classic Jameson Crested as well as the Jameson 18 Year Old and 18 Year Bow Street Cask Strength.

Cognac Park - €35

What's in the pack?
     5 x 30ml 

We have teamed up with the wonderful Cognac producer Cognac Park to bring to you our first Virtual Cognac Tasting. A family run business created in 1880 by Gaston Tessendier, the Distillery today is a large estate of more than 25 hectares located in the heart of Cognac: the Borderies. Fourth generation Master Blenders, Lilian and Jerome Tessendier, compose their blends of eaux-de-vie to create a style of premium cognacs that are pure, delicate and complex. This tasting pack includes samples of Cognac Park's VSOP, XO, Cigar Blend, Chai No. 8 and Mizunara 10 Year Old.

I groaned when I saw the email as my budget is shot for now. On closer inspection I have four of the Redbreasts (all except the 97) so I'll survive.

The Cognac tasting could he justified from a research point of view though!

Had to close the blinds to stop people seeing in; but now I can't obsessively watch the road outside

I groaned when I saw the email as my budget is shot for now. On closer inspection I have four of the Redbreasts (all except the 97) so I'll survive.

The Cognac tasting could he justified from a research point of view though!

Just ran it by herself there and she's game for a cognac tasting so that's me sorted for that.

L1011 wrote: »
    Had to close the blinds to stop people seeing in; but now I can't obsessively watch the road outside

I haven't laughed as much in a long time than I have watching us all wait on these boxes. 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

For me, Red Spot is streets ahead of the other 'Spots'. That doesn't seem to be a very popular opinion though, so I guess it just suits my palate. Must get another bottle in (have drained three) as haven't had it in a while. I did have some Powers 14 Temple Bar recently though, and it's very similar to Red Spot if my memory is correct.

I’m with you. I’ve tried all of the Spots. Didn’t like Yellow at all. Too much sherry for me. Green Spot was nothing special. I loved the Red from the first sip. I’m on my 2nd bottle.

Any word on Aldi bringing out a whiskey for Xmas similar to other years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any word on Aldi bringing out a whiskey for Xmas similar to other years?

Possibly the Kilbeggan 8 and Puca were their festive offerings this time round.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Doorbell rings - its only my dinner which I thought would be about half an hour later :(

• Advertisement

Update from Leitrim lookout.

Binoculars trained on the road looking for lights. Nothing. Although Pats 135 only has one light working, a bit like himself, blind as a bat. How he's still got the licence God only knows.

Chopping board ready, knife sharpened, tea towel pressed and egg white separated. Although herself did the latter. Something about shells and that.

Still waiting.

Well I should have been doing the tasting now. 7 till 8 but no delivery. The wife said I should have logged on to the link and watched. Bollox to that. I would have been like a child with its hands and face pressed up to the window of a sweetshop. So close and yet......

Three words of advice to Bushmills. Logistics logistics logistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Well I should have been doing the tasting now. 7 till 8 but no delivery. The wife said I should have logged on to the link and watched. Bollox to that. I would have been like a child with its hands and face pressed up to the window of a sweetshop. So close and yet......

That's crap :(

I have Saturday at 4:30pm, if that's any good to you I could PM you the link

I'd have logged on to let them know nothing had arrived. Ask for another link to be sent to you. I know its only a tenner, but still.

Thanks everyone. I'll let them know by email tomorrow. I'm sure they will sort something out.
    They're cocked up on the logistics. Courier couldn't cope obviously.
    I was looking forward to it but.........

OldRio wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I'll let them know by email tomorrow. I'm sure they will sort something out. They're cocked up on the logistics. Courier couldn't cope obviously. I was looking forward to it but.........

They should have sent them all out at the time they were ordered. A lot of hassle just so they could include some fresh herbs and lemon and lime.

The organiser address has replied and they're going to a: find where my box is and b: put me to a different time slot.

Doorbell rings

Milkman :(

I've given up on today anyway.

I took all your advice and emailed them. I'll let you know,
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I took all your advice and emailed them. I'll let you know,
    Thanks again.

My box just arrived along with a very apologetic delivery driver. Great bit of kit for the price.

I missed my slot tonight but have emailed them for an alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement