Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cazale wrote: »
    Bought a litre bottle of Powers gold label the other day. €25 is the best value out there for such a nice whiskey. Off work on holiday so fairly went through it.

It’s a classic. I would sooner drink it than some Irish whisky 3 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Nestle set to release KitKat that's been aged in Scottish whisky cask from Islay

The chocolate for the KitKat has been made using cacao nibs aged for 180 days in barrels once used for aging Islay Scotch whisky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nestle set to release KitKat that's been aged in Scottish whisky cask from Islay

The chocolate for the KitKat has been made using cacao nibs aged for 180 days in barrels once used for aging Islay Scotch whisky.

That sounds like the starting place for a stupid and widely popular beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nestle set to release KitKat that's been aged in Scottish whisky cask from Islay... The chocolate for the KitKat has been made using cacao nibs aged for 180 days in barrels once used for aging Islay Scotch whisky.

Half awake reading this and my first reaction was it's not 1st April so why am I reading this story...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

For sale in Japan... booooooo! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

As a follow up to the Bushmills event - the hot sauce gave a nice kick to my scrambled eggs this morning. I can feel a thirst developing!

Can someone post up the recipe for the basil crush, please.
    Sounds interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

As a follow up to the Bushmills event - the hot sauce gave a nice kick to my scrambled eggs this morning. I can feel a thirst developing!

As a follow up to the Bushmills event I ended up having a couple of generous pours of Talisker and I'm in a bad way.

Will have to give the hot sauce a go when I'm feeling less sensitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Sounds interesting

50ml Black Bush
    20ml sugar syrup
    20ml lime juice
    6 basil leaves
    5 dashes hot sauce
    Ice

Put basil into a shaker, press down lightly on the leaves but don't rip them up, add in the rest of the ingredients and shake for 20 secs. Strain and serve over fresh ice.

I preferred it to the other one tbh. Btw Black Bush is €26 in Tesco today.

• Advertisement

Talguetler wrote: »
    50ml Black Bush
    20ml sugar syrup
    20ml lime juice
    6 basil leaves
    5 dashes hot sauce
    Ice

Put basil into a shaker, press down lightly on the leaves but don't rip them up, add in the rest of the ingredients and shake for 20 secs. Strain and serve over fresh ice.

I preferred it to the other one tbh. Btw Black Bush is €26 in Tesco today.

Lovely thanks.
    I wouldn't be hung up about using Bush over any other whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Sounds interesting

Enjoy pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Basil Crush is going on my "cocktails to do when I've got syrup in the fridge" list anyway.

200ml of whiskey drunk by 5:40 is going to lead to an interesting evening...

Lovely thanks.
    I wouldn't be hung up about using Bush over any other whiskey.

Aye I have run out of Black Bush samples, used Powers Three Swallow instead... might even be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Had my first glass of Blue Spot and it is a real eye opener. Definitely not something you could sip away at for the night but a real nice drop. I get strong hazelnut type notes from it.

Round two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

You’re not being serious are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You’re not being serious are you?

Sounds like April1 but legit!

L1011 wrote: »
    That Basil Crush is going on my "cocktails to do when I've got syrup in the fridge" list anyway.
    200ml of whiskey drunk by 5:40 is going to lead to an interesting evening...

It's on my list for when I have fresh basil - which has now been added to the shopping list - and lots of limes :)

In a hurry without sugar syrup, ice tea or flat ginger ale might sub ok - nothing fiery, schweppes or club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's on my list for when I have fresh basil - which has now been added to the shopping list - and lots of limes :)

In a hurry without sugar syrup, ice tea or flat ginger ale might sub ok - nothing fiery, schweppes or club.

Its bizarre how different Schweppes and Club are .Like two different products/drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

20201205_205748.jpg

RB 21, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saturday night Black Barrel. Fire on. ****e film on. Dogs sleeping. Bliss. Slainte

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Sampling Oban Little Bay tonight. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with it. It has been a while since I had Oban 14yo but I can’t recall it being way better than this NAS.

Bought a litre bottle of Powers gold label the other day. €25 is the best value out there for such a nice whiskey. Off work on holiday so fairly went through it.

quite under-rated imo

I would rank the "standard" Irish Whiskies as follows according to their current output

1. Powers
    2. Tullamore Dew (improved since takeover)
    3. Jameson (bland and increasingly so)
    4. Bushmills (Black Bush is excellent but this is not really)
    4. Paddy (haven't had it in a while but reckon it's still of this ranking? - the "Cork Dry Gin" of whiskies?!)

opinions?

"standard" being defined as the cheapest "base model"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll have to grab a bottle of the Powers gold label while it's still at that price.

Just added some water to a splash of Blue Spot. Tis warming my heart in the loveliest of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I see Celtic Whiskey Shop are offering casks of new make and 3 year old whiskey to buy.

Anyone here ever bought or considered buying a cask?

I would approach this as an interesting thing to do and if it made a few quid that would be a bonus.

There are plenty of fees to be paid along the way of course.

Scrap the cap!

Jim Mac Irish Whiskey - €45

A new Irish Whiskey on the scene with a unique sporting connection. Named for the hurling legend, Jim McDonnell and created by his nephew John O' Brien. Jim Mac Irish Whiskey is a special premium blendof malt and grain, this Irish whiskey is bursting with falvour. The grain has been matured in first fill bourbon casks. The malt has been exclusively matured in first fill Oloroso sherry casks. A complex flavour reminiscent of spicy Christmas cake and candied fruits with hints of vanilla and a deliciously warm smooth finish.

I looked into it. Sounds romantic but in the end I didn't know what I would do with 2-300 bottles of whiskey.

For a 20 year old single pot still sherry finish it would cost about 45 euro a month for 20 years. For that you would get 188 bottles at 52%. You could of course bring the abv down and get a few more bottles.

A 15 year old triple distilled dessert wine finish would cost 55 euro a month for 15 years. That gets you 272 bottles at 46%.

Jim Mac Irish Whiskey - €45

A new Irish Whiskey on the scene with a unique sporting connection. Named for the hurling legend, Jim McDonnell and created by his nephew John O' Brien. Jim Mac Irish Whiskey is a special premium blendof malt and grain, this Irish whiskey is bursting with falvour. The grain has been matured in first fill bourbon casks. The malt has been exclusively matured in first fill Oloroso sherry casks. A complex flavour reminiscent of spicy Christmas cake and candied fruits with hints of vanilla and a deliciously warm smooth finish.

To suggest that Jim McDonnell is a hurling legend is such a stretch I'm going to assume everything about this whiskey is marketing bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To suggest that Jim McDonnell is a hurling legend is such a stretch I'm going to assume everything about this whiskey is marketing bs.

I was like "Jim Who?"

I have to concur with your view on the whiskey too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I looked into it. Sounds romantic but in the end I didn't know what I would do with 2-300 bottles of whiskey.

For a 20 year old single pot still sherry finish it would cost about 45 euro a month for 20 years. For that you would get 188 bottles at 52%. You could of course bring the abv down and get a few more bottles.

A 15 year old triple distilled dessert wine finish would cost 55 euro a month for 15 years. That gets you 272 bottles at 46%.

I talked about it with a few friends and worked out the costs, which are ok. We came up with two issues. Firstly, what's the quality of the spirit like initially. Secondly, and more importantly, we looked around the table and wondered who'd still be around in 20 years to drink it!

• Advertisement

I see Celtic Whiskey Shop are offering casks of new make and 3 year old whiskey to buy.

I would approach this as an interesting thing to do and if it made a few quid that would be a bonus.

There are plenty of fees to be paid along the way of course.

Over the years, I looked at Bruichladdich and Dingle cask offers. Like others, I wondered what I'd do with a large amount of whiskey that didn't look to be particularly cheap.
    Decided to invest in a distillery, instead!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Cask purchases make sense if you are going to distribute it widely to clients / friends / family, are a whisky enthusiast, and have deep pockets.

If it needs to make absolute financial sense then I think it's a bit of a struggle. There are more conventional ways to make a return on your money.

I was tempted by Dingle a few years ago, alright. I think the way to do it is to go in with a few pals, makes it significantly more manageable.

Am I right in saying, ultimately, that's also a bit of a gamble in terms of the specific quality of the cask you end up with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Managed to get a few interesting samples from a friend.
    Blue spot, and three other samples, with each of the barrel components that it's made up from, madeira, bourbon and sherry.
    Waiting until next week to try them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Picked up a bottle of Blackbush and Powers Gold today for the tidy sum of 43e. Cant go wrong really and this thread has me running low on every other bottle in the house.

Trying to persevere with the JWB but its definitely an acquired taste.

Having a basil crush now.
    Really lovely cocktail.
    Used puca and also didn't have the required hotsauce. After much thought and debate ended up using a homemade, very hot Trinidadian sauce I have in the fridge.
    Made for a pretty spicy version, I reckon, but delicious.

I'll have to grab a bottle of the Powers gold label while it's still at that price.

Just added some water to a splash of Blue Spot. Tis warming my heart in the loveliest of ways.

I grabbed a Powers gold label today, never tried it before but seems great value.
    Jameson only €18 too.

Tried a drop of blue spot last night, my god it's stronger than the green spot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Having a basil crush now.
    Really lovely cocktail.
    Used puca and also didn't have the required hotsauce. After much thought and debate ended up using a homemade, very hot Trinidadian sauce I have in the fridge.
    Made for a pretty spicy version, I reckon, but delicious.

I made the bushmills version last night, very tasty alright though I don't think I'll go back to it too often if I'm honest. Nice for a change though.

Enveloped by (freezing?) fog here... ship foghorns booming from Dublin Port... time for some hot whiskey.
    Tullamore Dew XO Caribbean Rum Cask Finish working well.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Enveloped by (freezing?) fog here... ship foghorns booming from Dublin Port... time for some hot whiskey.
    Tullamore Dew XO Caribbean Rum Cask Finish working well.

Fog rolling down the river here in Waterford. Whiskey Macs for the evening with my new supply of Stone's Ginger Wine. I'll use up some of the basic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Finally managed to get hold of Talisker 10 in Tesco. Been sold out the last 4 or 5 times I’ve been there. Perfect for a cold foggy night like tonight. Especially at €30!

Still finishing off a few of my open bottles to make space. Have some black bush on the go tonight. Another classic Irish whiskey. Not as nice as the Powers from the last few nights but it's nice enough.

ZV Yoda wrote:
    Finally managed to get hold of Talisker 10 in Tesco. Been sold out the last 4 or 5 times I’ve been there. Perfect for a cold foggy night like tonight. Especially at €30!

It was made for tonight. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I grabbed a Powers gold label today, never tried it before but seems great value.

I was standing in the queue in Tesco with a bottle of Powers in my hand when I read this! :D I'll put it away for a while (far too many different whiskeys open at home already) but I figured that even in a worst case scenario it'll be handy to have at home to mix with Coke or for a hot whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Went to Tesco with the plan of buying Three Swallows or Talisker, both gone so I came back with Black Barrel. Been at least a year if not longer since I had a drop of it but still hold the same opinion of it now. Its not bad by any means but its normal price is crazy to me, at €30 its ok but there are so many better options IMO especially this time of year when the supermarkets are discounting so heavily. Will probably use it as my guest whiskey for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

The wee drop on its own used to be my vice, but now I've taken to having a few squares of dark chocolate with it also.yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Made the 2 black bush cocktails last night. Used the kilbeggan and rebel chilli west cork distillers aged. They were delicious but then I didn't sleep well. Think I might have been a bit heavy with the chilli sauce

I was standing in the queue in Tesco with a bottle of Powers in my hand when I read this! :D I'll put it away for a while (far too many different whiskeys open at home already) but I figured that even in a worst case scenario it'll be handy to have at home to mix with Coke or for a hot whiskey.

:D this thread is dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ginger83 wrote: »
    :D this thread is dangerous
    It is, I only stumbled on it recently and have been trying to run my collection down a bit. But yesterday I was in tesco and grabbed a Roe and Co after hearing what good value it is :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

ZV Yoda wrote: »

Got one today too, and the bushmills 10 for 30 also. Need to stop now the press door can hardly close

It is, I only stumbled on it recently and have been trying to run my collection down a bit. But yesterday I was in tesco and grabbed a Roe and Co after hearing what good value it is :p

Is it nice? How does it compare to RB, powers etc?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement