Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ro_p_ro1986

Mellor wrote: »
    With 500 bottle released locally, it's not particular rare. (also raises some other questions tbh).
    At that price point, there will still be 500 bottle in "collections" in 3 years. With everyone hoping to offload. I can't imagine a situation where it is worth more than 500 in the near future.

Contrast that with MVR for example. There are far more than 500 produced obviously, but it's actively consumed. So the stock of any vintage is constantly reducing. A bottle with an RRP of 180 is easily in demand and worth 250+ in a few years.

The press release that was post in the thread above has some really basic spelling/grammar errors. It's one thing when in a rush online to slip, but a press release should have a review for basic stuff like that. Low effort is a terrible sign.

It doesn't take a lot to put a dent in 500 bottles though. Some will get drunk, some misplaced, etc.. If it turns out to be well received generally, and the profile of the distillery increases then the value will increase. Lots of ifs in there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

More new releases.

Thomond Gate Peter Lacy Cask Strength €99

The first new release from Thomond Gate Whiskey as part of its ‘Departed Spirits of Limerick’ series pays homage to a prolific military General known as Peter Lacy, of Killeedy, Co Limerick. After the Treaty of Limerick in 1691, he left Ireland with other exiled Jacobite soldiers. In his later campaigns he joined Tsar Peter (the Great) of Russia and became one of the most renowned tacticians in Russian history winning many battles across the European continent. In is memory, Thomond Gate Whiskey has sourced a traditional Pot Still whiskey, which has been finished in an Imperial Stout cask from Treaty City Brewery. This style of beer, also known as Russian Imperial Stout, was exported in great volumes during the 18th Century to Russia. Brewed to a high strength so the beer could last the ocean journey, it’s an intensely flavoured, dark, full-bodied beer with lots of chocolate, coffee and dried dark fruits, which perfectly compliments the characteristics of Irish Pot Still whiskey.
    A limited release of just 232 bottles, at cask strength (58.23% ABV) with non-chill filtration and natural colour. Each bottle has been hand filled into 70cl bottles, labelled and adorned with a unique coin engraved with the individual bottle number making it a truly memorable experience for whiskey enthusiasts and collectors alike.

Thomond Gate Galloping Horse Hogan Cask Strength €99

The second new release from Thomond Gate Whiskey as part of its ‘Departed Spirits of Limerick’ series, pays homage to a rebellious hero known as Galloping Hogan, from the parish of Doon, Co Limerick. In 1690, this infamous rapparee, along with Patrick Sarsfield and 500 Jacobite troops, successfully lead a daring ride to Ballyneety to blow up a Williamite siege train. Galloping Hogan refused to accept the Treaty of Limerick in 1691 and left Ireland the following year to become a General in the French Army.
    In memory of Galloping Hogan and the French involvement in the siege of Limerick, this is a Single Malt Irish Whiskey,  finished in a French Cognac cask. This gives the whiskey a warming spice, with gentle vanilla, brown sugar and biscuit taste with a hint of dried flowers, green apples and orchard fruits. A limited release of just 288 bottles, Galloping Hogan has been bottled at cask strength (59.59% ABV) with non-chill filtration and natural colour. Each bottle has been hand filled in 70cl bottles, labelled and embellished with a unique coin engraved with the individual bottle number making it a truly memorable experience for whiskey collectors and enthusiasts alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

^^^^^

a €99 history lesson.
    No thanks, all the same.

People seem to think that cask strength justifies silly prices, it seems.
    It's the new thing!

Anyone know why Midleton Very Rare 2020 is being sold for 800-900 on he auction sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Anyone know why Midleton Very Rare 2020 is being sold for 800-900 on he auction sites?

Supply & Demand

• Advertisement

Is there less of the 2020 vintage?

A 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 are all going for at least half that price. Surely there is less of them?

Only thing I can think is that its Brian Nations last offering as Master Distiller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Supply & Demand

But why is the demand so high?
    Has the supply changed much over previous years?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

^^^^^

a €99 history lesson.

****e like that puts me off buying it if anything.

irish_goat wrote: »
    ****e like that puts me off buying it if anything.

Same. I hate when they try spin a yarn about the history of some distillery or new bottle.

It really feels like they are puling the wool over your eyes for some extra notes. Which is what they are doing.

Anyone tried these new causeway offerings from Bushmills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

A 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 are all going for at least half that price. Surely there is less of them?

Only thing I can think is that its Brian Nations last offering as Master Distiller.
    Much less from what I've heard. I've spoken to off licences who normally get a couple of cases but got one or two bottles this year, it's a pain

One possible reason is that they plan to release next year's in spring in a change of tradition

Much less from what I've heard. I've spoken to off licences who normally get a couple of cases but got one or two bottles this year, it's a pain

One possible reason is that they plan to release next year's in spring in a change of tradition

Ahh, that would make sense.

I heard 12,000 bottles were released of the 2020. Any idea how that compares to any other year?

I would have assumed they would be consistent year on year, but obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Same. I hate when they try spin a yarn about the history of some distillery or new bottle.

It really feels like they are puling the wool over your eyes for some extra notes. Which is what they are doing.

Well they are certainly spinning a yarn, and there's so much competition out there now with new releases, this one has achieved its goal of uniquely identifying the product.

Although I don't know what wool is being pulled over people's eyes unless they expect Galloping Hogan to have risen from the dead and taken a hand in the distilling.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The 2019 is going to be around for a while. People are losing their minds over the 2020. Nearly every time the phone rings at work it's someone looking for it. It's long gone.

Can't remember if I posted this one or not. Released last month. €38 a bottle.

SEVEN CHURCHES IRISH WHISKEY SINGLE GRAIN 700ML 40°

Using the original recipe of ‘gráin agus uisce’ (Irish for grain and water), only the finest whiskey distillates have been hand-selected to perfect Seven Churches Whiskey Small Batch Blend. For a modern twist our whiskey is matured in Kentucky bourbon casks.

TASTE PROFILE:

COLOUR: Oak Brown
    AROMA: Candy sweetness with a hint of dark fruit matured in a bourbon cask
    TASTE: Subtle wooden and vanilla tones that finishes floral with a warm spicy kick
    FINISH: Lingering sweetness, warm and smooth, light in body

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a €99 history lesson.
    For €99 I'd expect the history to be accurate. The original imperial stouts weren't "Brewed to a high strength so the beer could last the ocean journey". They were brewed to high strength because the Russians liked their drinks to be strong.

Edit: and what fcuking ocean?!

I heard 12,000 bottles were released of the 2020. Any idea how that compares to any other year?

I've seen bottles of 2019 in five different places over the last week with some of them with dust on them. I don't remember there ever been such a clamour for its release. The 2020 sold out in a couple of days so it must have been an extremely small release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Master Distiller Brian Nation's last MVR, new Master Distiller taking over, I'd say this is the main reason. Much more demand rather than being a supply issue....

https://irishwhiskeymagazine.com/news/midleton-very-rare-vintage-release-2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,579 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

People are losing their minds over the 2020
    Must be collectors looking to complete sets, mustn't it? Actual drinkers presumably don't care too much about the year

That said, I'm in the former category so I can't judge. I bought our first a bottle in 2018 and our second was born this year so I'm hunting along with the rest :pac:

Must be collectors looking to complete sets, mustn't it? Actual drinkers presumably don't care too much about the year

That said, I'm in the former category so I can't judge. I bought our first a bottle in 2018 and our second was born this year so I'm hunting along with the rest :pac:
    The collectors were the first people to buy, but after a while word seemed to get out that it was going for big money and people we've never seen before were in every day looking for it. We've had people all over the country ringing up and asking for us to hold a bottle for them until after the lockdown(before the restrictions were eased). The last batch of 80 bottles we got never made it out to the shelves. Staff and management nabbed the lot. I imagine it was the same in every company that could get some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Cazale wrote: »
    For a modern twist our whiskey is matured in Kentucky bourbon casks.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cazale wrote: »
    only the finest whiskey distillates have been hand-selected to perfect Seven Churches Whiskey Small Batch Blend. For a modern twist our whiskey is matured in Kentucky bourbon casks.

The amount of bull**** surrounding Irish distilleries at the moment is overwhelming.

Any word on what actual "finest whiskey distillates " were selected or is that a secret??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Effects wrote: »

If say it's to do with covid .. speculators hoping that this year's whiskey in years to come will be prized

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've ordered one of each of the Thomond Gate whiskeys. Gonna put them away long term and hopefully enjoy them in 2039 or 2042 (if we're still celebrating 18ths and 21sts then!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Having a Nikka from the Barrel after work. Thought there was only 1 measure left in the bottle so told the staff to just throw it all in. Turns out it was more like 2. Haha

A few more releases. Got a sneaky sample of the Red Silkie about six months ago and it was a nice drop.

The Legendary Red Silkie and Red Silkie Cask Strength will be available to order from our Irish online store at 16.02 tomorrow! Inspired by the final journey of a true legend of the Donegal Coast, Red Hugh O'Donnell. Red Silkie is finished in Rioja and Ribera del Duero wine casks, the Ribera region being very close to Red Hugh's final resting place at the Castle of Simancas in Spain, where he died in 1602.

Red Silkie is aromatic and sweet, strawberry coulis, marmalade and dried fruit steeping in Earl grey tea, opens to dry wine notes, and oak tannins and maintains a crisp freshness. We have bottled just 1100 bottles of Red Silkie (46% ABV, non-chill filtered) and 210 bottles of Red Silkie Cask Strength (63.2% ABV, non-chill filtered). Red Silkie is launching on our Irish online store at 16.02 (4.02pm) on Thursday, December 10th and from selected stores.

Dunvilles
    The latest addition to the Single Cask Series will launch Fri 11 Dec 2020 at 20:20hrs. Cask 1717 is a 20 y/o Single Malt finished in the finest Oloroso & PX Sherry casks. 54.8% abv limited to 290 bottles priced £225. This release will be limited two bottles per customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Bushmills Tasting Fiasco (Did the Courier know the existence of Leitrim episode)

Long story but to cut it short. Lots of emails between myself and Bushmills They offered profound apologies. Huge miscommunication issues between Bushmills and Courier blah blah blah. They refunded my money and promised to send me some 'stuff around the place' and 2 bottles of hot sauce.

This morning we had a delivery from Bushmills. Basically the tasting kick, 4 sample bottles of whiskey only 1 bottle of sauce and 2 tumblers, one was smashed.

Ah well.

OldRio wrote:
    This morning we had a delivery from Bushmills. Basically the tasting kick, 4 sample bottles of whiskey only 1 bottle of sauce and 2 tumblers, one was smashed.

Bad form. I only noticed earlier that one of my smaller glasses has a chip out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I strongly suspect they may not attempt that sort of decentralised tasting again; rather a mess even if it worked out well for most of the participants + vastly more expensive for them than doing it in a bar like they would have done pre-COVID.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I strongly suspect they may not attempt that sort of decentralised tasting again; rather a mess even if it worked out well for most of the participants + vastly more expensive for them than doing it in a bar like they would have done pre-COVID.

Their website talks of "a series of online and offline" events, so I'd say we could see at least another one online. https://blackbushstories.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Effects wrote: »

I had assumed it was because it was Brian's last outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I have a very rare and very limited individually numbered Jameson “Thanks a Million” in its presentation case amongst others that I’m not going to drink or open and am looking to offload. Can anyone advise of the best place to do this?

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/jameson-thanks-a-million

I have a very rare and very limited individually numbered Jameson “Thanks a Million” in its presentation case amongst others that I’m not going to drink or open and am looking to offload. Can anyone advise of the best place to do this?

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/jameson-thanks-a-million

Here is one on Irish Whiskey Auctions from the summer.

https://previous.irishwhiskeyauctions.ie/ultimate-auction/jameson-thanks-a-million-3/

A search on https://whiskyauctioneer.com shows it went for between 230-260 GBP in the last three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Liberties Whiskey Copper Alley 10 Years Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

Very nice single malt, fruit forward on the nose and lovely long lingering warming finish on it (46%).
    It is a double barreled shotgun single malt whiskey, aged for 10 years in bourbon casks and finished in 30 year old Oloroso Sherry Casks.
    (Think it is Cooley stock)

At the moment, it's €55 delivered from the DLD website with free branded Tuath glass.
    https://thedld.com/irish-whiskey/single-malt/the-liberties-whiskey-copper-alley/

Copper_Alley_In_Bar-tuath-glass-awards.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't take a lot to put a dent in 500 bottles though. Some will get drunk, some misplaced, etc.. If it turns out to be well received generally, and the profile of the distillery increases then the value will increase. Lots of ifs in there though.

Very few will be drunk at a cost of nearly 500 - very high for a three year old.
    As you said, the price is speculation, not the quality of the liquid.

Even if the distillery when up and running is a success. I don't understand how that means the value will increased beyond the inflated RRP.
    It's realistically worth maybe 50 quid now. Even if they're a great success, it would take a unprecedent increase to take the value past 500 a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Can I just say what a boon this thread was to be able to bag a couple of bottles of the Kilbeggan 8.

An absolutely stunning dram altogether. And then you remember it was only 34 quid as well!

Nursing one tonight after the Bristol Rum tasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Can I just say what a boon this thread was to be able to bag a couple of bottles of the Kilbeggan 8.

An absolutely stunning dram altogether. And then you remember it was only 34 quid as well!

didntagree with me at all violently ill from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There’s 4 available on Amazon. £67 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

If by collectors you mean flippers then yeah. I couldn’t resist not to sell one of my bottles. If people go ape**** and pay a grand for it amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Has anyone seen these on Aldi shelves in the last couple
    of weeks, or are they long gone?

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote:
    Thomond Gate Peter Lacy Cask Strength €99

Cazale wrote:
    Thomond Gate Galloping Horse Hogan Cask Strength €99

Blurb on the back of the box says both were distilled and matured by Great Northern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Tullamore Dew seems to have a bigger profile abroad than at home... but when you consider Jameson dropped their 12 year old, that's a pretty good price.

Dammit now you've reminded me of how much I miss Jameson 1780 :(

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Anyone had a tasting of the offerings from https://www.sailorshomeirishwhiskey.com?

Saw an article online about them today but don't know anything else about them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

54and56 wrote: »
    Anyone had a tasting of the offerings from https://www.sailorshomeirishwhiskey.com?

Saw an article online about them today but don't know anything else about them.

I've never heard of them.

I did a bit of googling and I would assume the Jack O Se mentioned is the Jack O'Shea who seems to have been a Europe manager at Alltech / Pearse Lyons, and then I saw his name too in relation to the Burren Whiskey distillery... Could this be a "while we wait" type project? (Edit: Ah, it seems the founder and managing director hired him... )

Lately in this thread a lot of the set-ups where provenance is not immediately clear has come in for a lot of flak. I have mixed feelings on that as, for example, I feel like Writer's Tears is an example of how it can be done very well ... And although I haven't tasted JJ Corry I am to believe that they would be another example (Maybe a bit of an Irish version of a company like Compass Box in the UK). But yes, where there is an attempt to muddy the waters of the whiskey's origins... Or where pricing is a piss-take, I am as unimpressed as the next.

These offerings seem to at least be reasonably clear about being sourced. All the history and marketing guff about nautical history and the significance of each twist and curl on their logo just seems par for the course these days. It's like the way several years ago every new craft beer in Ireland had a small essay on the side about a local saint / robber / mythical creature.

Sliabh Liag have launched Red Silkie, aged in Rioja and Ribera del Deuro casks. Cask strength available too.

https://shop.sliabhliagdistillers.com/product/the-legendary-red-silkie-irish-whiskey-limited-relase/

Keep an eye out in your local SuperValu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's in James Foxes for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

There must be a character limit on the shelf display in SV, as one would think they would mention its the 8 yr old single grain, rather than the standard single grain which may have replaced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

OK. Last post about the Bushmills tasting.
    I've just had a delivery of a full bottle of Black Bush. 2 bottles of Sauce. A Bushmills fancy note book. 2 whiskey stones in a nice pouch.
    I'm happy. Fair play.

There must be a character limit on the shelf display in SV, as one would think they would mention its the 8 yr old single grain, rather than the standard single grain which may have replaced it.

There was one bottle..the others behind it are the standard single grain

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement