Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Picked it up in Tesco's, €52.00

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Wouldn't say it's exactly smokey but nice none the less.

If you want a great scotch with a decent peat/smoke, try Highland Park 12. One of my faves, and doesn't punch you in the face like Ardbeg or say, Laphroaig. Should get it for less than 60e.

Caol Ila 18 is peated scotch perfection imo, but over the 100e mark so not for every night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Picked it up in Tesco's, €52.00

Wouldn't say it's exactly smokey but nice none the less.

If you want proper smoke, just go all in and buy any of the Islay malts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

If you want proper smoke, just go all in and buy any of the Islay malts.

Ease him in first, Tallisker is a good starting point. A little peat, not overpowering and goes down easily enough...he can graduate to an Islay malt after...could put someone off I'd they start there.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Ease him in first, Tallisker is a good starting point. A little peat, not overpowering and goes down easily enough...he can graduate to an Islay malt after...could put someone off I'd they start there.

He never said anything about beginning, easing in or anything. Specifically just asked for readily available smokey scotch and, as above, your Talisker recommendation wasn't really what he was after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

brinty wrote: »
    Just had a Midelton rare whilst out
    OMG where have you been all my life
    It's soooooooooo smooth and easily drank
    Good job it's so expensive or I'd be getting through a bottle in no time

It's tough to leave it at just the one alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'd recommend Lagavulin 12 yo 'Special Release 2016'.

He never said anything about beginning, easing in or anything. Specifically just asked for readily available smokey scotch and, as above, your Talisker recommendation wasn't really what he was after.

My post to him said it was a good starting point,
    Ya can only go on what you're given ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

What would you guys recommend for someone like me who likes whiskey like Redbreast 12 year old? Apart from more Redbreast of course!

What would you guys recommend for someone like me who likes whiskey like Redbreast 12 year old? Apart from more Redbreast of course!

Green Spot. Powers John's Lane. Writers' Tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Green or yellow spot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Green or yellow spot
    Green is lovely. Yellow is better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Agree with what's been suggested. I'd lean closer to the John's lane.

You could also try one of the RB editions. I like Lustau

irish_red13.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Hi guys, so I'm nearing the end of my bottle of writers tears I got a few weeks back. Its been my first 'real' whiskey experience barring mixer types. I like its smoothness and lack of harsh burn. I'm not advanced enough to pick up subtle flavour profiles yet, but I really enjoy it all the same. Any recommendations for the next bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the recommendations lads, time to go shopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

nkav86 wrote: »
    Hi guys, so I'm nearing the end of my bottle of writers tears I got a few weeks back. Its been my first 'real' whiskey experience barring mixer types. I like its smoothness and lack of harsh burn. I'm not advanced enough to pick up subtle flavour profiles yet, but I really enjoy it all the same. Any recommendations for the next bottle?

If you enjoyed the blended you could look at something like Jameson's Black Barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

limnam wrote:
    If you enjoyed the blended you could look at something like Jameson's Black Barrel.

Thanks! I completely forgot about that one, lady in O'Briens actually recommended that. Its not too pricey either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just opened a Teeling 23 (xmas pressie) - it's very good, but I expected the finish to be a lot stronger.

Slightly disappointed considering what it is.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just picked up a bottle of Midleton VR 2016 for €118 on the ferry back from Pembroke. Happy days! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Quackster wrote: »
    Just picked up a bottle of Midleton VR 2016 for €118 on the ferry back from Pembroke. Happy days! :)

I got 2015 for 118 coming back from France a couple of weeks ago. It was buried among 2016s!

sceach16 wrote: »
    I got 2015 for 118 coming back from France a couple of weeks ago. It was buried among 2016s!

Yeah, I had a look and the few that were there were all 2016s. Still, no complaints from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sceach16 wrote: »

Is 2015 better than 2016?
    Had you tasted both before hand?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Is 2015 better than 2016?
    Had you tasted both before hand?

It's older, so rarer and therefore worth a bit more, they tend to increase in value slightly each year.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    It's older, so rarer and therefore worth a bit more, they tend to increase in value slightly each year.

the rarity depends on what production there was on a given year, but generally unless its got some sort of cache, the price stays stable.

1984 is currently €500 in celtic whiskey shop - but many years from early 2000's are €150-€175 and the ones from the 1990's are €200 - €225. So better value drinking it and enjoying it.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=midleton%20very%20rare

again, like the premium Teeling, you are buying into marketing as many thousands of bottles are released each year and its over-rated for the price. It used to be the standard birthday pressie for me from OH, and I have about 15 (empty :) ) wooden boxes and just two full ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

VR isn't that rare so doesn't really increase in value

RasTa wrote: »

Well the 2016 will be ever-so-slightly rarer when I've polished off this bottle! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd love to grab a bottle of the birth year ('86) but it's stupidly expensive. I'll stick with just buying a different whiskey when going through the airport :pac:

CeilingFly wrote: »
    the rarity depends on what production there was on a given year, but generally unless its got some sort of cache, the price stays stable.

1984 is currently €500 in celtic whiskey shop - but many years from early 2000's are €150-€175 and the ones from the 1990's are €200 - €225. So better value drinking it and enjoying it.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=midleton%20very%20rare

again, like the premium Teeling, you are buying into marketing as many thousands of bottles are released each year and its over-rated for the price. It used to be the standard birthday pressie for me from OH, and I have about 15 (empty :) ) wooden boxes and just two full ones.

While I'd agree to a point, all the prices on the link above are out of stock, if you are to actually go buying some of the older bottles they are more expensive in my experience. For example one place that does have stock for a few years back is the distillery, and each year you go back the price increases a bit

Not a huge amount, but it does increase over time.
    I believe there is a full collection for sale in Dublin Airport for 50k...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mc Doc

Jura - 10 years. it is a real great brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mik_da_man wrote: »

I believe there is a full collection for sale in Dublin Airport for 50k...:eek:

Verticals of any booze are always priced insanely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Opening my my Midleton Barry Crockett tonight. Cannot wait

TheBully wrote: »
    Opening my my Midleton Barry Crockett tonight. Cannot wait

Would love a bottle of that, had a taste at a recent visit to Midleton, lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Sure, that's why the 2009 sells for 600€+. Are you even checking auction prices or you just pulled that from your a**?

Sure, that's why the 2009 sells for 600€+. Are you even checking auction prices or you just pulled that from your a**?

Are you?

I've an 85' bottle that sold for €420 https://www.adams.ie/MIDLETON-RARE-IRISH-WHISKEY-1985-Midleton-Co-Cork-75cl-1btl-OC-with-invitation-and-certificate-This-bottle-is-from-a-limited-edition-and-is-accompanied-by-a-crystal-tumbler-especially-commissioned-for?view=lot_detail

93' that sold for £205 https://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/midleton-very-rare-1993-irish-whiskey.html

So you might get lucky like someone punting on horses but they are not worth holding onto. Drink them instead.

List from a recent auction
    Lot 32: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1984 - 75cl Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1984 - 75cl ... Sold for 850 GBP
    Lot 33: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1992 Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1992 - 700ml number 0199 ... Sold for 500 GBP
    Lot 34: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1993 Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1993 - 750ml number ... Sold for 500 GBP
    Lot 35: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1994 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1994 - 700ml ... Sold for 400 GBP
    Lot 36: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1995 - 750ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1995 - 750ml ... Sold for 420 GBP
    Lot 37: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1996 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1996 - 700ml ... Sold for 340 GBP
    Lot 38: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1997 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1997 - 700ml ... Sold for 360 GBP
    Lot 39: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1999 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 1999 - 700ml ... Sold for 380 GBP
    Lot 40: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2000 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2000 - 700ml ... Sold for 300 GBP
    Lot 41: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2001 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2001 - 700ml ... Sold for 260 GBP
    Lot 42: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2002 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2002 - 700ml ... Sold for 380 GBP
    Lot 43: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2003 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2003 - 700ml ... Sold for 340 GBP
    Lot 44: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2003 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2003 - 700ml ... Sold for 360 GBP
    Lot 45: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2004 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2004 - 700ml ... Sold for 240 GBP
    Lot 46: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2005 Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2005 - 700ml number ... Sold for 220 GBP
    Lot 47: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2005 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2005 - 700ml ... Sold for 220 GBP
    Lot 48: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2007 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2007 - 700ml ... Sold for 220 GBP
    Lot 49: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2008 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2008 - 700ml ... Sold for 200 GBP
    Lot 50: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2008 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2008 - 700ml ... Sold for 170 GBP
    Lot 51: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2009 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2009 - 700ml ... Sold for 600 GBP
    Lot 52: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2009 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2009 - 700ml ... Sold for 460 GBP
    Lot 53: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2010 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2010 - 700ml ... Sold for 260 GBP
    Lot 54: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2011 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2011 - 700ml ... Sold for 220 GBP
    Lot 55: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2012 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2012 - 700ml ... Sold for 160 GBP
    Lot 56: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2013 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2013 - 700ml ... Sold for 170 GBP
    Lot 57: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2013 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2013 - 700ml ... Sold for 170 GBP
    Lot 58: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2014 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2014 - 700ml ... Sold for 160 GBP
    Lot 59: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2015 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2015 - 700ml ... Sold for 130 GBP
    Lot 60: Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2016 - 700ml Midleton Very Rare Irish Whiskey - 2016 - 700ml ... Sold for 120 GBP

Lot 61: Midleton Single Cask Irish Whiskey - 1995 - 700ml Midleton Single Cask Irish Whiskey - 1995 - 700ml ... Sold for 300 GBP
    Lot 62: Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy Single Pot Still Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy Single Pot Still ... Sold for 110 GBP
    Slte Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Are you?

I've an 85' bottle that sold for €420 https://www.adams.ie/MIDLETON-RARE-IRISH-WHISKEY-1985-Midleton-Co-Cork-75cl-1btl-OC-with-invitation-and-certificate-This-bottle-is-from-a-limited-edition-and-is-accompanied-by-a-crystal-tumbler-especially-commissioned-for?view=lot_detail

93' that sold for £205 https://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/midleton-very-rare-1993-irish-whiskey.html

So you might get lucky like someone punting on horses but they are not worth holding onto. Drink them instead.

List from a recent auction

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/auction-search?terms=Midleton+very+rare&dsp=Previous&show_page=20&sort_by=p_DESC&op=SEARCH&form_build_id=&form_id=auction_form

Ignore the very first bottle, happy browsing!
    By the way, are you seriously posting an Adams auction result from 2012 to prove your point?

https://www.whiskyauctioneer.com/auction-search?terms=Midleton+very+rare&dsp=Previous&show_page=20&sort_by=p_DESC&op=SEARCH&form_build_id=&form_id=auction_form

Ignore the very first bottle, happy browsing!
    By the way, are you seriously posting an Adams auction result from 2012 to prove your point?

I don't really care about this tbh, if you think holding onto a whiskey bottle for 20-30 years to make £300 is a good investment then fair enough.

The bottles can be got for cheap if you shop around and the prices don't stay consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Holding onto a single bottle, storing it correctly and then putting it on auction several or more years later for a return of essentially pot luck seems like a stupid amount of effort to me.

Unless you're buying by the crate to make somewhat of an investment then maybe it's worth the effort.

I see this with people buying computer games as well in the hope they'll rise in price. Some will but a lot won't. Buy a game to play, enjoy or simply collect as you're a collector.

Same goes for whiskey. Buy and drink or buy and add to your collection. But buying to sell just one or two bottles seems mad to me.

Just remember people we could be all dead tomorrow and possessions aren't going with you.

Ok whiskey fans. I'd like a recommendation. I'll be passing through some well stocked duty free shops shortly and want to pick up something very good.

My last two duty free purchases were a Midelton VR and a Glenfiddich 21 year old. I'm also a big fan of Yellow Spot and Redbreast has been my tipple of choice for years.

There won't be much of an Irish selection so I'm looking for a smooth single malt with some complexity. I'm not a fan of peaty whiskeys.

All suggestions welcome...

"duty free" as in non eu travelling or just the airport shop where prices include duty for inter eu travellers?

What country? - UK airport shops are notorious for comparing against the highest possible high Street price which does not reflect the real price - in some cases its more expensive.

So check online while you are in the shop for real price comparison. Also beware of airport only editions - always overpriced.

Non peaty - A nice soft malt would be Ardbeg. You'll also be safe with Glenfiddich.
    Bruichladdich and Glenkinchie would be two others. Bruichladdich won't be available everywhere as its a small distillery, but its very smooth and bottle is "youthful" looking. If you see it, I'd get it. Circa £50-£55 duty-free for 1l

Proper duty free in Asia at significant discounts on home prices. I haven't seen Bruichladdich anywhere in this part of the world.

Most duty free shops have websites, so see which operates in the airport you will be travelling through and see what range they have - maybe look at some Japanese whiskeys?

I've been through the airports multiple times so I know what they have. I'm looking for recommendations.

Asian airports stock a surprisingly small range of Japanese whiskey.

John Walker Blue label perhaps?

• Advertisement

Erik Shin wrote: »
    John Walker Blue label perhaps?

It would never have crossed my mind tbh. Just reading up on it and I'll definitely put it on my list.

I was particularly taken with this line from a review: 'smoother than a hot-buttered, freshly-shaven diplomat in velvet trousers'

Non peaty - A nice soft malt would be Ardbeg

Em, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Aberlour and speysides in general are very smooth.
    Started on a 10 year old aberlour and got a 16 for my birthday
    Exceptional stuff

Aberlour and speysides in general are very smooth.
    Started on a 10 year old aberlour and got a 16 for my birthday
    Exceptional stuff

Thanks. Another for the list...

sorry - was too early, dunno why I said Ardbeg - possibly the peatiest out there.
    Must have coffee before commenting next! :) I think I was thinking of Aberlour.

Don't worry. I'd discounted your opinion anyway after you decided to explain to me how duty free works.

Ok whiskey fans. I'd like a recommendation. I'll be passing through some well stocked duty free shops shortly and want to pick up something very good.

I'd definitely recommend some of the Japanese. Anything from Nikka or Suntory (Hakushu, Hibiki, Yamazaki) are fantastic. Bought the aul fella a bottle of a Taiwanese (yes, Taiwan!) whiskey, Kavalan, for his 70th a few months ago. It's very good and would highly recommend too.

Don't worry. I'd discounted your opinion anyway after you decided to explain to me how duty free works.

Apologies for commenting then.

I'd definitely recommend some of the Japanese. Anything from Nikka or Suntory (Hakushu, Hibiki, Yamazaki) are fantastic. Bought the aul fella a bottle of a Taiwanese (yes, Taiwan!) whiskey, Kavalan, for his 70th a few months ago. It's very good and would highly recommend too.

I had some Nikka from the Barrel in Helsinki airport and really liked it. I'd be prepared to go for it but the Japanese stuff isn't widely stocked in other Asian airports. Given the number of Japanese that go through Bangkok, for example, it's very strange.

I have a feeling I've seen Kavalan though. Might give it a shot.

I had some Nikka from the Barrel in Helsinki airport and really liked it. I'd be prepared to go for it but the Japanese stuff isn't widely stocked in other Asian airports. Given the number of Japanese that go through Bangkok, for example, it's very strange.

I have a feeling I've seen Kavalan though. Might give it a shot.

The one I'm thinking of is called Kavalan Soloist or similar. Sherry cask finish I think.

This is the one "Fino Solist Sherry Cask". Pricy but looks like they've a decent range to suit whatever budget.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement