Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Imagine some Muff Whiskey and Football Special. Chrishhhht!

I suggested a football special seasoned cask release to Sliabh Liag Distillers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Powers Gold Label goes very well with Galaxy milk chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Did the Speyside tasting night tonight. Some nice surprises. Tamdhu was one of the stand outs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It hasn't been a very heavy whisky-drinking Christmas this year. Managed to polish off quite a bit of M&S champagne, however, and I'm not done yet.

I opened a bottle of the Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman special edition last night, and this is a campfire in a bottle which settles down into something quite heathery and light compared to Lagavulin 8 and 10.

Gift wise I only got one whisky! I think everyone thought I had enough (sob). Bowmore 15 year old. If I'm honest Bowmore isn't my favourite Islay distillery these days, but this is known as a quite well-executed sherry finish, so no harm to add it to the stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cazale wrote: »
    Ah lads you are killing me here. The promised fancy whiskey never materialised and the father in law just offered me a standard Jameson as if it was a bottle of 40 year old Port Ellen. You can drink as much of that as you like he said.

Thankfully I'm going home tomorrow to the good stuff!

Funny you mention port Ellen. My friend was fixing their boilers the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Sampling WhistlePig 12y rye. ....damn it's smooth

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Funny you mention port Ellen. My friend was fixing their boilers the other day

Savage picture. They are starting back up in 2021. Was supposed to be this year but covid etc. I'd love to try the old stock but it's serious money. Don't think even Santa could afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I have ~€85 to spend in my local off-licence as they are ending their loyalty program shortly. I want to get an interesting whisky (or two!). Thinking Bulleit Rye, Nikka or maybe something Irish. What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

woody1 wrote: »
    Is that the "dundalgan " one

that's the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Savage picture. They are starting back up in 2021. Was supposed to be this year but covid etc. I'd love to try the old stock but it's serious money. Don't think even Santa could afford it.

Yea he works in most of the distillery’s around Scotland. No free samples though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sidekick wrote: »
    I have ~€85 to spend in my local off-licence as they are ending their loyalty program shortly. I want to get an interesting whisky (or two!). Thinking Bulleit Rye, Nikka or maybe something Irish. What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance.

You might have change left over to get Lambay Small Batch... Irish whiskey finished in cognac casks on Lambay Island. Rrp about €40.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Scottish is he?

Jesus I've seemingly lucked out, however it's gas though, he called RB12 bland after the Barry Crockett! Some man for expensive tastes!

Imagine some Muff Whiskey and Football Special. Chrishhhht!

I came back from the shop there... one RB12 left on the shelf so I had to grab it.

He didn't sem at all impressed. Should've come back with some Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

I'm a bit sniffly so I'm going to have some fancy RB12 hot whiskies later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am enjoying the Sexton from Bushmills, sort of like a cross between a smoother Black Bush and a less sweet Bushmills 10.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Puca

Lovely whiskey this one. Had a short run in Aldi a month or so ago. Pity it’s not an ongoing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

that's the one

Picked it up today have to say I was pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Finally getting around to having my last 2 samples of the year from the Celtic Whiskey Club

The Celt 2 - Finished in a Red Wine Cask
    I really don't know if I love this or hate it. If you are not a fan of red wine give this a swerve. The finish goes on forever but it's all wine

Edit: I hated it

I would argue that Glendalough Double Barrel is a nicely balanced and satisfying whiskey.

I'd rate it above other Irish offerings in the same ballpark - e.g. Black Barrel (easily over this), Writer's Tears.

Marched into the RB12 a bit quickly earlier. It's delicious stuff.

537347.jpg

So tucking into the Mikkeller box watching the NFL.

• Advertisement

Getting slightly embarrassing at this stage but another Lidl bottle.

I really like this one and will buy another one if I can find one.

*It costs the tongue. Oily if that makes any sense.

I get banana and citrus notes.

Really liking this one.

*not a whiskey expert

Really liking this one.

*not a whiskey expert

Oiliness is one of my favourite textures from some Irish whiskies. This is good to hear. Have to add that to the list next time I'm in Lidl.

Oiliness is one of my favourite textures from some Irish whiskies. This is good to hear. Have to add that to the list next time I'm in Lidl.

Jesus don’t get it on my recommendation but I do like it enough to want to find a second bottle.

Jesus don’t get it on my recommendation but I do like it enough to want to find a second bottle.

Have you not seen how this thread works? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

I've had the Aberlour staring at me since I bought it and watching Christy on TG4 seemed like the perfect time for a drop. Strongest drink I've ever had and despite a little burn on the throat for my novice palate, it's very very smooth. Nice and sweet. A couple of drops of water to taste and it was perfect. Very happy with the purchase and with my curiosity settled, it's now awaiting my mates new baby whose missus is due on the 3rd when we will have a drop.

Delighted I got it and thanks again all for the recommendations.

Slainte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Added just the one bottle of whiskey to the collection this year. Teelings pot still.

Also a case of wine, but that’s a different story.

• Advertisement

Have you not seen how this thread works? :D

Lol. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when you get it so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

opened a bushmills 10 my FiL had hanging around for god knows how many years, the year 2004 was printed on the neck, and that was the year they built their house

the cork was cracked so I went in with a corkscrew, made a dent in the bottle with relation of my wife

I enjoyed the sweetness, like honey and vanilla

the remainder of the bottle decanted into a screw top wine bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Jim Mac Irish Whiskey - €45

A new Irish Whiskey on the scene with a unique sporting connection. Named for the hurling legend, Jim McDonnell and created by his nephew John O' Brien. Jim Mac Irish Whiskey is a special premium blendof malt and grain, this Irish whiskey is bursting with falvour. The grain has been matured in first fill bourbon casks. The malt has been exclusively matured in first fill Oloroso sherry casks. A complex flavour reminiscent of spicy Christmas cake and candied fruits with hints of vanilla and a deliciously warm smooth finish.

Hmmmm... is all I can say.

Got it as a gift. Not overly impressed. You can certainly get the bourbon, vanilla and spices but I wouldn't say it was "smooth".

The lingering taste is not particularly good.

I'll probably add ginger ale to the rest.

But this is obviously subjective. My fav everyday tipple is Roe & Co / Bushmills 10. Really love the Spots and Dingle as occasion tipple, so my comments on Jim Mac may be due to my taste, but still think it's underwhelming for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Darc19 wrote: »
    Hmmmm... is all I can say.

Got it as a gift. Not overly impressed. You can certainly get the bourbon, vanilla and spices but I wouldn't say it was "smooth".

The lingering taste is not particularly good.

I'll probably add ginger ale to the rest.

But this is obviously subjective. My fav everyday tipple is Roe & Co / Bushmills 10. Really love the Spots and Dingle as occasion tipple, so my comments on Jim Mac may be due to my taste, but still think it's underwhelming for the price.

It's a description of a very standard Irish blend.
    Grain/malt, Bourbon/Sherry.
    Your description sounds about right.

They'd do better if people thought it was named after Jim Mcdonald from Coronation Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 antonolan

Hi All,

I tasted a newly purchased bottle of Redbrest (12 years) last July (2020) and I have to say that it was magnificent.

However, the other day my nephew offered me a taste of a newly purchased bottle of the same whiskey, and I found it to be awful. It was just like drinking cheap whiskey. It was nasty.

Moreover, my nephew gave me a bottle as a present too and I just opened it and I have to say that this one is equally as nasty.

I get that people tend not to complain about alcoholic beverages and I’ve never done so in my life before, but on this occasion I can’t keep my silence given how much the whiskey costs...

A twenty euro bottle of Tullamore Dew is nicer on the palette than what is being passed off as Redbrest whiskey this Christmas season.

Is this just me!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

antonolan wrote: »
    Hi All,

I tasted a newly purchased bottle of Redbrest (12 years) last July (2020) and I have to say that it was magnificent.

However, the other day my nephew offered me a taste of a newly purchased bottle of the same whiskey, and I found it to be awful. It was just like drinking cheap whiskey. It was nasty.

Moreover, my nephew gave me a bottle as a present too and I just opened it and I have to say that this one is equally as nasty.

I get that people tend not to complain about alcoholic beverages and I’ve never done so in my life before, but on this occasion I can’t keep my silence given how much the whiskey costs...

A twenty euro bottle of Tullamore Dew is nicer on the palette than what is being passed off as Redbrest whiskey this Christmas season.

Is this just me!?!
    `
    Some brands are more consistent than others ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi All,

Is this just me!?!

Had to imagine rb 12 being counterfeited.

I've tasted some really questionable Jameson, which I assume was counterfeit but I'd wonder about rb.

If you are really sure there's something wrong with it, contact Irish Distillers. I have no doubt they will arrange to replace the bottle if you tell it as you told it here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Your nephew obviously decanted the RB and kept it for himself and pawned off some cheap whiskey on you. It's an excellent strategy when money is tight :)

EDIT: I haven't noticed any degradation in RB12 recently and my most recent bottle was bought in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have an open bottle of each and just did a taste test.

I think you should get tested for COVID. Losing your sense of taste is an early symptom.

I'm back in business after a muted Christmas. Some Teeling 24 year old tonight. Tried this before at Whiskey Live. Bit of a fruit bomb. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Really
    I got one those when they were on offer a few months ago in lidl and it was terrible ,
    Tasted awful cheap and I had a banging headache the following day after 2 or 3,
    Can’t remember if it was the red or black cask one.

Really liking this one.

*not a whiskey expert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm back in business after a muted Christmas. Some Teeling 24 year old tonight. Tried this before at Whiskey Live. Bit of a fruit bomb. Lovely stuff.

It is a delightful drop. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Ah, a beautiful one! One of the highlight samples i had this year. Fruity as you say. I got a lovely Lilt and Chomp bar smell from it too. I had it too at WhiskeyLive last year at the tasting led by Alex Chasko who admitted frankly that they targeted winning the Worlds Best Single Malt for this.

Second one of the night. Watched Ralfys whisky of the year 2021 earlier which he awarded to Arran 10 year old. Was convinced I had a sample so imagine my disappointment when I could only find some 18 and 21 Arran instead!

Settled on the 18 year old. Lovely natural color from the sherry. Dark chocolate and orchard fruits.

Testing out a new dartington glass too. Very aesthetically pleasing.

1901Rory wrote: »
    Ah, a beautiful one! One of the highlight samples i had this year. Fruity as you say. I got a lovely Lilt and Chomp bar smell from it too. I had it too at WhiskeyLive last year at the tasting led by Alex Chasko who admitted frankly that they targeted winning the Worlds Best Single Malt for this.

I tried it at whiskey live when I was still new enough to whiskey. Wandered over to the Teeling stand and started talking to a lad in a suit about their whiskey. Had a good chat for a few minutes with him and ended up trying a good few of their offerings which ended with the 24 year old being pulled from under the table for a sneaky sample. Found out later it was Jack Teeling we were taking too. Would have asked a hundred questions had I known. Probably better I didn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 thethinone

I tried it at whiskey live when I was still new enough to whiskey. Wandered over to the Teeling stand and started talking to a lad in a suit about their whiskey. Had a good chat for a few minutes with him and ended up trying a good few of their offerings which ended with the 24 year old being pulled from under the table for a sneaky sample. Found out later it was Jack Teeling we were taking too. Would have asked a hundred questions had I known. Probably better I didn't!

That’s one thing I found about whiskey live; you have to do the legwork with the chat at the stand to get them to pull out the best stuff from under the table. Worth it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

thethinone wrote: »
    That’s one thing I found about whiskey live; you have to do the legwork with the chat at the stand to get them to pull out the best stuff from under the table. Worth it though!

That would make sense. Lots of people probably just want to go for the day out, get all the samples they can and go. Some probably want to learn aa bit more about a few of the brands and styles they like. Some want to know as much as possible and will put in that work.

You see it at things like bloom. Some people just blindly going from stand to stand asking for samples and gitting annoyed when there are none, then you chat to the producers for a bit and they are giving you more samples than you'd ever want.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's such an asset to have founders/high ups like that actually out and about and doing stuff like Whiskey Live. I was attending a course that was hosted at Teeling Distillery and on our lunch break John Teeling was there done up in his suit making the rounds with all the customers in the cafe, asking if they did the tour, just in for a coffee, where are you from etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Cardhu 12 followed by the Irish Reserve 26 for me this evening. Saving the Irish Reserve and only have it at Christmas. Did not get to have it on Christmas Day, so with the cold day in it, the time was right. So fruity, and I will be sad when it is empty.

Twee. wrote:
    It's such an asset to have founders/high ups like that actually out and about and doing stuff like Whiskey Live. I was attending a course that was hosted at Teeling Distillery and on our lunch break John Teeling was there done up in his suit making the rounds with all the customers in the cafe, asking if they did the tour, just in for a coffee, where are you from etc.

The same night I went to another stand where there was one ambassador talking to someone. Turns out it was Micheal Martin. I politely interjected and Martin turning into politician mode thought I wanted to talk to him. I had about twenty whiskeys at this stage so just asked the ambassador for a sample and gave Micheal a quick nod as I wandered off to the next stand. No time for politics when there is free whiskey to be drunk.

Can't remember the whiskey though so the story was more memorable than the sample.

fmul9798 wrote:
    Cardhu 12 followed by the Irish Reserve 26 for me this evening. Saving the Irish Reserve and only have it at Christmas. Did not get to have it on Christmas Day, so with the cold day in it, the time was right. So fruity, and I will be sad when it is empty.

Never got a bottle of the 26 year old. Such a great price at the time. I wonder will it ever be repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You might have change left over to get Lambay Small Batch... Irish whiskey finished in cognac casks on Lambay Island. Rrp about €40.

Got this as a present and opened it tonight. Really enjoyed it. Bit of toffee and a slight oily feel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

It's late but back to work in the morning so going to crack open a pressie of Laphroaig 10 year old single malt and go out in style:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hi All,

Is this just me!?!

There's definitely a difference in this year's batch, but not enough to give that reaction. I'd ask a friend to try it too and compare to another open one if possible.
    If it's still awful contact IDL they would be interested to check it and confirm if there were any issues that spoiled it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Second one of the night. Watched Ralfys whisky of the year 2021 earlier which he awarded to Arran 10 year old. Was convinced I had a sample so imagine my disappointment when I could only find some 18 and 21 Arran instead!

Settled on the 18 year old. Lovely natural color from the sherry. Dark chocolate and orchard fruits.

Testing out a new dartington glass too. Very aesthetically pleasing.

That's a lovely glass, must look out for one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement