Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This is the one "Fino Solist Sherry Cask". Pricy but looks like they've a decent range to suit whatever budget.

I've definitely seen it somewhere - the way the name is written on the bottle is very distinctive. I'll keep an eye out.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've definitely seen it somewhere - the way the name is written on the bottle is very distinctive. I'll keep an eye out.

Dublin Airport stock it but I don't think I've seen that particular expression there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

@killbill
    One I got a while back while traveling was Balvenie 16 Year Old.
    Really smooth, not peaty. Plenty of complexity to it imo.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    @killbill
    One I got a while back while traveling was Balvenie 16 Year Old.
    Really smooth, not peaty. Plenty of complexity to it imo.

I got a Balvenie 21 yr old a while back and it wasn't my cup of tea. I found it oily or something (I won't be getting a job reviewing whiskey any time soon!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I found it oily or something (I won't be getting a job reviewing whiskey any time soon!).

A lot of it is just complete wankery and snobbery. What it tastes like to you is what matters. I remember about ten years ago being given a bottle of Coleraine from a bar I was working in. Think it was discarded Bushmills stock and cost about 15 quid in Tesco. Was absolutely grand as a bog standard blended Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

A lot of it is just complete wankery and snobbery. What it tastes like to you is what matters. I remember about ten years ago being given a bottle of Coleraine from a bar I was working in. Think it was discarded Bushmills stock and cost about 15 quid in Tesco. Was absolutely grand as a bog standard blended Irish.

Read the wanker and snobbery bit...and in my head pronounced the whiskey Colla-rien...as in "je ne regrete rien' ...ffs...I'm a wanker! :(

I've been gifted a bottle of Aberfeldy 12yo scotch... anyone had this before and what should I expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Erik Shin wrote: »
    I've been gifted a bottle of Aberfeldy 12yo scotch... anyone had this before and what should I expect?

Have a bottle unopened in my colection so I'd like to hear too

Also purchased a bottle of Tamnavulin last week. Sounds like something really nice from description, tasting notes etc so hopefully it tastes as good as it reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Erik Shin wrote: »

I had a free sample of it and I was dissapointed by it but to each their own and in your case it's free so happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Picked up a bottle of Connemara in Stanstead airport. £19.99 and the terrible exchange rate made it too good to turn down.

Amsterdam in 2 weeks so will pick something up if there is more value to be had.

I splashed out and picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Signet. Wow! It'll be difficult not to skull the whole bottle in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any suggestions for a good website to pick up some of the more rare whiskeys. Not looking to spend thousands or anything. Just thinking about splashing out on myself and felt like something different to the standard line up of 12-18 year olds in the local bottle shop.

Master of Malt, Whisky Exchange or Amazon.

Celtic whiskey shop have a great range too

Master of Malt, Whisky Exchange or Amazon.

Sorry if it's been asked before but what's the story with shipping from the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Has anyone tried Caskmates IPA?

Feenix wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Caskmates IPA?

Yep - Had it a few weeks ago at a tasting event.
    You would definitely notice the hop influence on it, but not overpowering.
    Well worth grabbing a bottle IMO

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yep - Had it a few weeks ago at a tasting event.
    You would definitely notice the hop influence on it, but not overpowering.
    Well worth grabbing a bottle IMO

I thought it was only available in the States.

I tried the Glenffidich IPA and didn't think much of it.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I thought it was only available in the States.

I tried the Glenffidich IPA and didn't think much of it.

It's a new release by Jameson in the last 2 weeks ago, based off Cheftian IPA by Franciscan Well
    Can be picked up in O'Brien's

Sorry if it's been asked before but what's the story with shipping from the UK?

To answer my own question (partly) Whisky exchange charge from £13 for delivery and say that you're subject to local customs.

Master of Malt is much better value for shipping, especially for a large order.

Amazon don't ship to Ireland. (Can you use PM or AddressPal?).

Does anyone have experience of buying from any of these and have you had any issues? Or would it just be easier to take a spin up north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Does anyone have experience of buying from any of these and have you had any issues?
    I ordered once previously from MoM.
    No issues, arrived in a timely manner and well packed. Planning another order later in month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Amazon don't ship to Ireland. (Can you use PM or AddressPal?).

Neither will take alcohol.

It is illegal to personally import alcohol by post (that definition includes couriers, forwarders, etc) - it has to be physically with you.

Its possible to do it if licenced by Revenue - its assumed that Master of Malt are cleared for import as they are diligent about other places that have revenue rules and nobody has ever had a shipment siezed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I ordered a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year old from Flaviar before. No issues. Aware though that it could be seized and then have to pay duty / VAT, so eyes open and all that.

Another site that can be used is Whiskeysite.nl
    Prices are good for some bottles, others not so much , and shipping is not too bad (23 for 5 bottles)
    But may be subject to customs...

was quoted $75 for shipping from Masters of Malt.
    Off to the off license I think.

Thinking of going for a bottle of bourbon and a japanese whisky

Mellor wrote: »
    was quoted $75 for shipping from Masters of Malt.
    Off to the off license I think.

Just copped your location!
    Surely must be other sites more local?

Anyone tried St Patricks Cask Strength Irish Whiskey? It's a Midleton whiskey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was given this, it's fantastic. A cheaper Japanese whiskey to give them a go, best blend I've had anyway and packs a punch at 51.4%.

icCXGH8l.jpg

Was given this, it's fantastic. A cheaper Japanese whiskey to give them a go, best blend I've had anyway and packs a punch at 51.4%.

icCXGH8l.jpg
    Funny enough Tar, thats the one I picked out above. Tried it in a whisky bar and liked it. The strength makes it perfect for a drop of water. I must go back to that bar.

I don't think it's one of their cheaper ones when you factor in the fact it's a 50cl bottle. Their cheaper stuff is same price for a bigger bottle.

That Nikka is great but if you want a better Japanese (pushing towards 100e a bottle) get one of the aged Suntory ones. Hakushu and Hibiki 12s are brilliant whiskies.

• Advertisement

That Nikka is great but if you want a better Japanese (pushing towards 100e a bottle) get one of the aged Suntory ones. Hakushu and Hibiki 12s are brilliant whiskies.
    Is Nikka a suntory also, or is it a separate distillery at this point?

Also are there any good sites for comparing flavours of Japanese whiskey? I was at a brewery last year that developed a flavour graph for beers, bitter to sweet on one axis, malt and hops (I think) on another. It was really handy when comparing dozens of brands you've never tried.
    It just struck me that a similar idea for whiskey would be great.

Nah, Nikka is separate. Suntory has three - Hakushu, Hibuki and Yamazaki, with a good few expressions of each.

Not familiar with any site that would have side by side comparisons but any site selling them should have the tasting notes. I find these largely to be a pile of **** and anyone telling you they can taste the honey and Oak and cinnamon and grass and rose and orange and strawberry and etc etc filtering through one after the other is talking out their arse.

If you know generally what you like, I find the best way to find something new is to simply give it a try. If you liked the Nikka, a couple of non-peated scotches would be worth a shout. A solid Speyside like Glenlivet 12 maybe, or an Auchentoshan which is triple distilled like most Irish whiskeys and thus very smooth.

On the Irish side, Powers John's Lane and either Green or Yellow Spot are always good shouts at the same price range as the Nikka too.

Japanese whisky is just way overpriced and not as good value for what you can get in this archipelago. Tried Nikka from the barrel and didn't rate it too highly but I didn't add water to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Funny enough Tar, thats the one I picked out above. Tried it in a whisky bar and liked it. The strength makes it perfect for a drop of water. I must go back to that bar.

I don't think it's one of their cheaper ones when you factor in the fact it's a 50cl bottle. Their cheaper stuff is same price for a bigger bottle.

Ah yeah I suppose, I forgot about that. I meant more just price to try a nice one. As it's stronger and you are water it should come out the same as a bigger bottle. The only different in this and a larger botle is water i guess. Personally I don't add water so it's more expensive :p

I also don't rate any other countries blends against it but am on the hunt.

For one of their single malts I recommend yoichi, the aged ones if splashing out.

The whiskey festival is great here, here I am trying then all out

1kHfHQT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Japanese whisky is just way overpriced and not as good value for what you can get in this archipelago. Tried Nikka from the barrel and didn't rate it too highly but I didn't add water to it.

It's certainly expensive but "way overpriced" is a bit much. They are exceptionally good whiskies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

I've not came across many blends that I got on with.

The only one I can think of is Asyla.

But decided to try this based on your post and I'm glad I did, really enjoyed it.

Although at 51%+ it doesn't cry out for water imo.

limnam wrote: »

Doesn't, or does?

Doesn't, or does?

Again, that's entirely down to taste and preference. I've drunk enough whiskey in my time to be well capable of sipping away at a call strength whiskey with no water whatsoever but I still take a drop in my 40% Jameson as I find it opens it up a little bit more and I prefer the taste. Try it with water, try it without. Whichever one you prefer is the right one.

Just don't ****ing put Coke or ginger ale in it!

• Advertisement

Again, that's entirely down to taste and preference. I've drunk enough whiskey in my time to be well capable of sipping away at a call strength whiskey with no water whatsoever but I still take a drop in my 40% Jameson as I find it opens it up a little bit more and I prefer the taste. Try it with water, try it without. Whichever one you prefer is the right one.

True enough, Nash's red lemonade or nothing!

:D

I've not came across many blends that I got on with.

The only one I can think of is Asyla.

But decided to try this based on your post and I'm glad I did, really enjoyed it.

Glad you liked it, I can't think of any other blends I enjoy much either. i definitely don't need water for this, it tastes too good to me as is and the burn isn't overwhelming.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I once caused offence in a meeting in Midleton by saying how Jameson and ginger which I got at a promo was vile.
    Took a bit of very quick thinking and bluffing to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Doesn't, or does?

Doesn't.

I was expecting it to at that strength but there's no need.

Doesn't, or does?

Doesn't.

I was expecting it to at that strength but there's no need.
    Ah right. I get you now.
    I thought you were saying that it doesn't need it because it's 51+, as in only lower strength whiskey needs it.
    I agree it's complete preference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Just opened a bottle of bulleit bourbon, it's really good not too much of a burn. 35e in O Brien's, they're having an Irish whiskey sale too

• Advertisement

nkav86 wrote: »
    Just opened a bottle of bulleit bourbon, it's really good not too much of a burn. 35e in O Brien's, they're having an Irish whiskey sale too

Ordered an old fashioned in a bar last week. Was pretty good so asked which whiskey they used. Bulleit bourbon.
    So decided I'll be treating myself to a bottle of that and a Nikka I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Mellor wrote:
    Ordered an old fashioned in a bar last week. Was pretty good so asked which whiskey they used. Bulleit bourbon. So decided I'll be treating myself to a bottle of that and a Nikka I think.

It's only my second whiskey after writers tears, I'm loving it. And the bottle looks great, easily pleased! Got a bargain on it too which is always nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Opened a bottle of Prizefight last night. It's okay. Aged in Rye barrels, and that does come across quite strongly. I like bourbon, but not overly fond of single grains or bourbony Irish, so this is one that I could take or leave. Quite oily on the palate as well.

In contrast, I opened a bottle of Green Spot the other day. By far my favourite of the 'spots'! Never disappoints!

Picked up a bottle of Bullit Bourbon last night.
    Didn't have the Nikka in stock. Will swing by tomorrow and see, if it's still out I think I'll grab an Auchentoshan, probably the 23

Had a wee browse in Duty Free this morning for first time in donkeys and noticed a Suntory grain whisky called the Chita that I hadn't come across before.

Anyone ever tried it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement