Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm off it as well for the month, taking a mulligan on the 24th for the NFL championship games but other than going to stick to it. Weird times to be doing it though all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Birthday in January so no rest for the wicked... treated myself to a miniatures order from www.drinkshero.com in Cork.

First up, Green Spot Chateau Montelena Finish. Fantastic stuff, much prefer it to standard Green Spot.
    Will crib some tasting notes from https://mitchellandson.com/products/green-spot-chateau-montelena
    Sweet mouth coating takes on a dry note thanks to the effect of the wine cask. Pot still spices subside with zesty citrus leading to ripe orchard fruit and red berries. A touch of marzipan and toasted oak add to the complexity.
    Finish: Satisfyingly long with pot still spices in harmony with the delicate dry wine contribution.

Still to sample... Drumshanbo Pot Still, Grace O'Malley rum cask finish, couple of Waterford Releases, Proclamation blend & Louis Royer XO Cognac.

Still on the to do list... a bottle of wine from Chateau Montelena :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm off it as well for the month, taking a mulligan on the 24th for the NFL championship games but other than going to stick to it. Weird times to be doing it though all right.

Raging that the AFC and NFC aren't on the 30th, I would have taken a mulligan as you said, if that was the case. Traditionally I always break the weekend of the 6N/Superb Owl anyway; though this year is a little later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Birthday in January so no rest for the wicked... treated myself to a miniatures order from www.drinkshero.com in Cork.

First up, Green Spot Chateau Montelena Finish. Fantastic stuff, much prefer it to standard Green Spot.
    Will crib some tasting notes from https://mitchellandson.com/products/green-spot-chateau-montelena
    Sweet mouth coating takes on a dry note thanks to the effect of the wine cask. Pot still spices subside with zesty citrus leading to ripe orchard fruit and red berries. A touch of marzipan and toasted oak add to the complexity.
    Finish: Satisfyingly long with pot still spices in harmony with the delicate dry wine contribution.

Still to sample... Drumshanbo Pot Still, Grace O'Malley rum cask finish, couple of Waterford Releases, Proclamation blend & Louis Royer XO Cognac.

Still on the to do list... a bottle of wine from Chateau Montelena :)

Green Spot Chateau Montelena
    60 a bottle in Mitchells at present. Post free if U buy two! Happy Birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

There's still spots available on the CWS ardbeg tasting. I haven't tried many peated/smoky whiskies, I've tried the Teeling blackpitts which I wasn't really a fan of, the laphroig 10 which I actively disliked and the lagavulin 16 which I didn't love but thought it was nice and could certainly see the appeal of this one.
    Is it worth trying the ardbegs? Are they more similar in style to the laphroig or lagavulin that I've tried?

Just got a notification for a UPS delivery for the 8th. I assumed it was a pair of runners I bought last week.

Nope, it's my "Bushmills 21 Year Old Deconstruction Tasting Pack" from CWS. Completely forgot about that. Thankfully it's on February 3rd. Good way to get back on the wagon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just got a notification for a UPS delivery for the 8th. I assumed it was a pair of runners I bought last week.

Nope, it's my "Bushmills 21 Year Old Deconstruction Tasting Pack" from CWS. Completely forgot about that. Thankfully it's on February 3rd. Good way to get back on the wagon.

Got the same yesterday, had half forgotten about it as I bought other bottles in the order which arrived already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I only had a tasting sample of it but I completely agree. The smoke wasn't well balanced at all but to be honest I don't think I've liked any of Teeling's younger whiskeys. I'm right there with you about Teeling in general; the only whiskey of theirs I've really enjoyed was a seasonal cask malt that you can only get at the distillery.

I can get where you are coming from. Both the spot still and blackpitts are obviously young spirit so it is interesting to see how they both progress as they age. Its probably unfair to compare 4 year old Teeling pot still with Redbreast 12 or 3.5 year old blackpitts with Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 16 just yet. I think other distilleries like Dingle are at the same point at the moment with young spirit. I've liked a lot of what Teeling have done and for me they offer a great hope for the future. As long as they don't price gouge and continue to improve along the way Ill stay on board with them.

Slightly related, my local distillery (Great Northern Distillery in Dundalk, formerly a Harp Brewery) who usually mostly wholesale whiskey, have a limited exclusive release with Whiskey Factor called An Fear Grinn Against The Grain, which marries a peated malt with a stout cask aged malt. Was gifted a bottle of it and the bottle is a bit weird looking but the whiskey itself is quite nice, the smoke is pretty soft and it's fairly sweet too.

An Fear Grinn did a 16 Year Old Single Cask Single Malt in 2019. Think it was Bushmills stock. I've chatted to the fella behind it once or twice and he seems a decent sort. I like that bottle and branding!

Episode 3 of Three Drams

Our third live tasting, and the first in 2021, will be hosted by Matt Healy and features three exciting and diverse whiskies from all around Ireland. We will be joined by the folks behind each brand as usual on the night

•Noel Sweeny, Master Distiller at Powerscourt Distillery
    •Bernard Walsh, Founder of Walsh Whiskey
    •Michael Walsh, Head Distiller at Boann Distillery

Episode THREE will be streamed live on Thursday January 28th at 8PM GMT!

Dram 1: Fercullen 8-Year-Old Blended

Nose: Sweet vanilla, citrus, honey, spice, almonds, candy orange peel & oak
    Palate: Smooth, crisp, grain, combinations of malt, caramel, fruit & sweetness
    Finish: A long-lasting sweet vanilla & toasted oak finish.

Dram 2: The Irishman Cask Strength 2020 Single Malt

Nose: Aromas of creamy walnut and oak spices.
    Palate: Hints of stone fruits, nutmeg, honey blossom and fig
    Finish: A rich full-bodied finish.

Dram 3: The Whistler Mosaic Marsala Finish Single Grain

Nose: A huge citrus burst, dry citrus peel with fleshy and juicy orange, lime with hints of vanilla, chocolate & oak spices in the rear
    Palate: Warm toffee & hazelnut open the palate with dry citrus, honey and stewed apricots follow.
    Finish: A medium finish with citrus zest, oak spice & honey.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Forgot I still had a close to full bottle of Kilbeggan 8 year old as it's kind of hidden away. Had some last night. Last drop for a while I think. I've tried every one of my now pretty decent whiskey collection in the past month other than my mini Barry Crocket which I'm saving for a special occassion.

Just arrived here. Are you allowed sniff whiskey even :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Anyone know where I can get a bottle of Monkey Shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Cazale wrote: »
    Episode 3 of Three Drams

Our third live tasting, and the first in 2021, will be hosted by Matt Healy and features three exciting and diverse whiskies from all around Ireland. We will be joined by the folks behind each brand as usual on the night

•Noel Sweeny, Master Distiller at Powerscourt Distillery
    •Bernard Walsh, Founder of Walsh Whiskey
    •Michael Walsh, Head Distiller at Boann Distillery

Episode THREE will be streamed live on Thursday January 28th at 8PM GMT!

Dram 1: Fercullen 8-Year-Old Blended

Nose: Sweet vanilla, citrus, honey, spice, almonds, candy orange peel & oak
    Palate: Smooth, crisp, grain, combinations of malt, caramel, fruit & sweetness
    Finish: A long-lasting sweet vanilla & toasted oak finish.

Dram 2: The Irishman Cask Strength 2020 Single Malt

Nose: Aromas of creamy walnut and oak spices.
    Palate: Hints of stone fruits, nutmeg, honey blossom and fig
    Finish: A rich full-bodied finish.

Dram 3: The Whistler Mosaic Marsala Finish Single Grain

Nose: A huge citrus burst, dry citrus peel with fleshy and juicy orange, lime with hints of vanilla, chocolate & oak spices in the rear
    Palate: Warm toffee & hazelnut open the palate with dry citrus, honey and stewed apricots follow.
    Finish: A medium finish with citrus zest, oak spice & honey.

I must have a nose at this. I was gifted a pair of the Fercullen Trilogy Miniature packs with the blend and the 10 year and 14 year single malts that the wife and I have been planning on sampling to decide on whether to get one of the full sized bottles.

This could be an excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

mutley18 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a bottle of Monkey Shoulder?

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/monkey-shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bushmills samples landed. Some colour difference between the cask types!

Just arrived here. Are you allowed sniff whiskey even :D

Of a Friday evening? Are you insane sir?
    L1011 wrote: »
    Bushmills samples landed. Some colour difference between the cask types!

I'm not even gonna bother checking. :D

Enjoying some Method and Madness French Chestnut tonight. It really is a fine example of single pot still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Signed up to the l mulligan Christmas/hogmanay tastings with the plan to do the catchup tonight. Still no sign of the videos being uploaded. Messaged them and no response.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in these times, but it's kinda annoying. Not sue what to fall back on!

• Advertisement

Enjoying some Method and Madness French Chestnut tonight. It really is a fine example of single pot still.

If they didn't do a great M+M Single Pot Still they may as well board up the distillery.

Had a sample bottle of that as part of that O'Brien's deal back in September. It's gorgeous stuff.

---

I managed to cave and have a sniff of the Bushmills samples there.

The 19yo Sherry is gorgeous.

The colour differential between the bourbon and sherries is amazing.

I'm on my second glass of Lagavulin 16 Year Old. Islay peat and sherry is hard to beat. Up at half five for work in morning so need to stop. Might have to be half seven if I keep at it :D

Give it a sneaky lick.

Give it a sneaky lick.

:D:D

Put down the Lag!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agree, its fantastic, in fact all the M&M stuff is very good but the pot still releases are the best of the lot.

I've just finished my bottle of Drunshambo. I really liked it, for €50 it was fantastic value. I'm really interested in where they go next.

Also still working my way thorough my Christmas purchase which was the Aberlour Abundadh. Really rich, cask strength. I'm a huge fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Very nice for a change.Variety is the spice of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Very nice for a change.Variety is the spice of life.

its lovely! the warmth and spiciness from it is mad, very up front and very unique, both in taste and smell. I poured myself some last week and just spent most of the time smelling it. its great stuff!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    its lovely! the warmth and spiciness from it is mad, very up front and very unique, both in taste and smell. I poured myself some last week and just spent most of the time smelling it. its great stuff!

So much caramel on the nose, and as you mention, pure spice on the palate. Definitely recommend for 60 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Bought a bottle of buffalo trace in Dunnes earlier

Funky musty taste off it

First sip or two actually turning me off drinking it

Think it may be spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I've a bottle that I'm going to hold for a few months. I'll be a regular in the office. I've had it a few times and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My Bushmills samples are in quarantine! The delivery driver gave them to my neighbour yesterday - she has Covid :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

My Bushmills samples are in quarantine! The delivery driver gave them to my neighbour yesterday - she has Covid :eek:

I don't know if Bushmills will kill her germs but she can have great fun trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Really not liking the new Powers bottles, but I think it's affecting my perception of taste too. Seems more pungent or something, amazing how much sight can affect even when aware of it. Still good for hot ones.
    Talisker 10 for nightcap, recently revisited with a bit better awareness, and glad to have grabbed a couple of bottles while on Xmas offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Thanks to Cazale and his research I ordered an Ardbeg 10 year old to try what I hoped would be a stronger peaty taste whisky...I dunno but there's a stronger flavour alright but find it sharper and not as smooth and easy as the Laphroaig.

Will have a Laphroaig next and taste side by side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Drinking a Dunvilles Oloroso 19yr Cask 162 tonight. Had a left over sample from a tasting pack I got at Belfast Whiskey Week.

Have to say Dunvilles do some great juice! Their 12 and 18yr bottlings are top notch. Seriously underrated whiskey! Especially the 18yr ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks to Cazale and his research I ordered an Ardbeg 10 year old to try what I hoped would be a stronger peaty taste whisky...I dunno but there's a stronger flavour alright but find it sharper and not as smooth and easy as the Laphroaig.

Will have a Laphroaig next and taste side by side

Lagavulin 16 is probably a nicer islay in that it's less medicinal, more rounded and earthy than both the ardbeg and Laphroaig.

Let us know what you think of them side by side. I'm a big fan of the ardbeg and anything from them.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Drinking a Dunvilles Oloroso 19yr Cask 162 tonight. Had a left over sample from a tasting pack I got at Belfast Whiskey Week.

Have to say Dunvilles do some great juice! Their 12 and 18yr bottlings are top notch. Seriously underrated whiskey! Especially the 18yr ones.

Not sure they are underated,as they are fairly pricey to be honest.The palo cortado 18 well over €200 and rum finish over €500

Wailin wrote: »
    Lagavulin 16 is probably a nicer islay in that it's less medicinal, more rounded and earthy than both the ardbeg and Laphroaig.

Let us know what you think of them side by side. I'm a big fan of the ardbeg and anything from them.

Had that on my list but jaysus if another whiskey delivery arrives I'll be shot..Have a seriously well stocked larder after some pre COVID19 travel and a significant birthday.
    Must post the list in case it interests anyone or they have feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Not sure they are underated,as they are fairly pricey to be honest.The palo cortado 18 well over €200 and rum finish over €500

I never said underpriced ;)

Wailin wrote: »

Still prefer the Laphroaig and it's not a case of the Ardbeg being too peaty..Ardbeg has a bit more sharpness to it I think and not in a good way for me..

Then tried both with a tiny splash of water and still prefer the Laphroaig I think
    Nothing wrong with either but probably expected more from the Ardbeg...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What one you get?

Apologies, missed your reply.

It was December Episode 2.
    Spade & Bushel 14yo Marsala finish single malt
    Currach single malt founders Wakame cask
    Two Stacks Smoke and Mirrors Peated Stout

Still haven't tried it. Maybe tonight?

• Advertisement

Still prefer the Laphroaig and it's not a case of the Ardbeg being too peaty..Ardbeg has a bit more sharpness to it I think and not in a good way for me..

Then tried both with a tiny splash of water and still prefer the Laphroaig I think
    Nothing wrong with either but probably expected more from the Ardbeg...

Sorry to hear the Ardbeg 10 isn't to your taste. The sherry finished Uigeadail and burgundy finished Corryvreckan are definitely more interesting than the standard 10. The Ardbegs in general are definitely an acquired taste so Id recommend getting samples or doing a tasting first. Hopefully it grows on you!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apologies, missed your reply.

It was December Episode 2.
    Spade & Bushel 14yo Marsala finish single malt
    Currach single malt founders Wakame cask
    Two Stacks Smoke and Mirrors Peated Stout

Still haven't tried it. Maybe tonight?

Mine arrived the day after that tasting so I watched it on the night with an empty glass. I find if I don't drink them live that I never get back to them. Must put aside a night to try them.

One of the whiskey nerds :D in work mentioned Springbank to me the other week and how its the most hands on distillery in Scotland with 100% of production onsite. Found this video on their process which I thought was interesting enough. They make Springbank, Longrow and Hazelburn whisky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mine arrived the day after that tasting so I watched it on the night with an empty glass. I find if I don't drink them live that I never get back to them. Must put aside a night to try them.

Definitely worth a go, miles better than episode 1 IMO. The currach seaweed wakame cask in particular was a very interesting whiskey.

Going through some prices achieved on irishwhiskeyauctions.ie. Not an exact science but looks like the Waterford prices are slowly decreasing.

December
    Waterford, Micro Cuvee Lómhar - 5 bottles all around €300
    Waterford Ratheadon Edition 1.1 - €175-185
    Waterford, The Pilgrimage Bottle - 3 bottles (2*900, 1 at 1060)

November
    Waterford, Micro Cuvee Lómhar - €511-555
    Waterford Ratheadon Edition 1.1 - €205-220
    Waterford, The Pilgrimage Bottle - €1150-1255

October
    Waterford Ratheadon Edition 1.1 - €200-260
    Waterford, The Pilgrimage Bottle - €1300

Redbreast 32 Year old Dream Cask
    Dec 2020 - €1920-2100
    Dec 2018 - €1150-1160

Midleton Very Rare 2020 - In December 10 bottles sold for between €830-970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Picked up a bottle of clonakilty single grain Bordeaux cask finish in my local SuperValu

€51 quid, not bad ;)

dos29 wrote:
    Really not liking the new Powers bottles, but I think it's affecting my perception of taste too. Seems more pungent or something, amazing how much sight can affect even when aware of it. Still good for hot ones. Talisker 10 for nightcap, recently revisited with a bit better awareness, and glad to have grabbed a couple of bottles while on Xmas offer.

The new bottle is a travesty. I have the old bottles of Three Swallow and a Ten Year old single cask next to the new Gold label. As Vito Corleone said look how they massacred my boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Having some Aberfeldy 12 tonight which is dangerously drinkable.

The bottles are not lasting as long as before the pandemic...I'm not sure why. It's still 24 hours ina day the last time I checked.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear the Ardbeg 10 isn't to your taste. The sherry finished Uigeadail and burgundy finished Corryvreckan are definitely more interesting than the standard 10. The Ardbegs in general are definitely an acquired taste so Id recommend getting samples or doing a tasting first. Hopefully it grows on you!

It's perfectly drinkable:)
    I signed up for the CWS Ardbeg tasting at the same time as buying the Ardbeg 10, so am going to get the opportunity to taste them all..

Maybe I had too much peaty whiskys over the Christmas period and was too used to the taste..think I expected a smoother drink with a stronger smoky peaty flavour..Will leave it for a week or so or until tasting night and try again..
    Thanks again for the recommendation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement