Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

odyssey06 wrote:
    Tonight it is the Drumshanbo Single Pot Still 46%. I've been to Drumshanbo and with no disrespect intended, this isn't the middle of nowhere, this is the halfway up on the hill of nowhere. Reading about their whiskey in American whiskey magazines and websites still surprises me! Back to the whiskey. This is dessert in a glass. Creamy mouthfeel, gingery spice and fruit on the first sip becomes a sweet, silky finish of vanilla and custard. I don't quite understand how you can put together a whiskey that hits flavours of sweet, spice and fruit but there's a lot going on here. One to sip and contemplate after dinner.

Went for a walk in Drumshanbo years ago to clear the head after a heavy session. Turned a corner and there was a load of elephants in a farmers field. Wasn't expecting that. Have a bottle of the inaugural release but haven't open it yet. Might have to give it a go soon after your review.

L1011 wrote:
    Bottle of Yellow Spot doorstep dropped for my birthday

Happy birthday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The Thomondgate on IWA :eek:

Hogzy wrote:
    The Thomondgate on IWA

Some prices alright. Didn't someone on here have a few bottles of it?

I'm following the Inish Turk Beg with interest as they don't come up too often. Tried it a few times and although it probably didn't live up to the hype I always thought it had an interesting story behind it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cazale wrote: »
    Some prices alright. Didn't someone on here have a few bottles of it?

That was probably me. I got one of each of the 2020 releases. No intention of auctioning them. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

That was probably me. I got one of each of the 2020 releases. No intention of auctioning them. :P

Same here - friend has invested in a cask and he tipped me off about the limited releases :)

I got one of each aswell, havnt opened them yet, very tempted to auction them in my pursuit an MVR 2020.

Tucking into my some The Whistler PX I Love you tonight. Real sherry bomb, fruity, rich dark fruits. Lovely juicy whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Anyone had the Knappogue 12 year old limited release..Marsala Cask finish one delivered today in error and wondering whether worth keeping.
    They ain't cheap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Hogzy wrote: »
    I got one of each aswell, havnt opened them yet, very tempted to auction them in my pursuit an MVR 2020.

Tucking into my some The Whistler PX I Love you tonight. Real sherry bomb, fruity, rich dark fruits. Lovely juicy whiskey.
    I received the sample from Celtic Whiskey Shop as part of the sign up program/ loyalty.
    Must be honest ,it wasn't smooth enough for me ,so doubt I'll buy a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anyone had the Knappogue 12 year old limited release..Marsala Cask finish one delivered today in error and wondering whether worth keeping.

Hogzy has! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Aldi 12yo special reserve... actually forgot I bought a bottle a year or 2 ago ...cost about €25 and tbf, it's a lovely drop...smooth, fruity and easy to drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aldi 12yo special reserve... actually forgot I bought a bottle a year or 2 ago ...cost about €25 and tbf, it's a lovely drop...smooth, fruity and easy to drink

Are they still selling it? Havent been into Aldi since wfh.
    I got a bottle way back and really enjoyed it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I was v impressed with the Barolo finish but I picked it up on offer for 75e. Havent had the Marsala but assuming it is same quality...
    If the Marsala is full price then probably not worth the extra 20e over the Knappogue 14 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are they still selling it? Havent been into Aldi since wfh.
    I got a bottle way back and really enjoyed it.

No, think it was a one off a couple of years ago, like the 26yo...this is a bit more drinkable thou to my mind

Three Drams Episode Four.

Dram 1
    Samuel Gelston's Single Pot Still Pinot Noir Finish 
    Brand: Samuel Gelston's
    Guest: Country Manager Ireland - Sam Amfo

Dram 2
    Sailor's Home - The Horizon 10 Year Old
    Brand: Sailor's Home
    Guest: Industry Legend - Jack O'Sé

Dram 3
    W.D. O'Connell - Bill Phil Batch 2
    Brand: W.D O'Connell
    Guest: Founder - Daithí O'Connell

Three Drams Episode Four.
    Dram 1
    Samuel Gelston's Single Pot Still Pinot Noir Finish 
    Brand: Samuel Gelston's
    Guest: Country Manager Ireland - Sam Amfo

Trivia: This is finished in Two Paddocks Pinot Noir wine casks from New Zealand.
    The vineyard is run by actor Sam Neill (originally from N Ireland) who is a cousin of Johnny Neill, owner of Samuel Gelston's Irish Whiskey.

Sad to hear that The Sky and the Ground in Wexford was destroyed by fire this morning. Had many a pint and whiskey in it. They ran the Drops from the Sky whiskey service from the bar and I got plenty of samples from them since they started. Hopefully they will recover.

Sad to hear that The Sky and the Ground in Wexford was destroyed by fire this morning. Had many a pint and whiskey in it. They ran the Drops from the Sky whiskey service from the bar and I got plenty of samples from them since they started. Hopefully they will recover.

+1
    Disaster. I used them for some Waterford 1.1 samples when it was hard to come by their stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah no. That's our go to pub when in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From what they were saying on Twitter it doesn't seem like its totally destroyed (but badly smoke damaged), however the pub next door (Foggy Dew) certainly is; and its B&B section which was being used for emergency accommodation was roofless and gutted in the video on Twitter. Disaster for many people.

Lambay Small Batch is €29 in Nolans Clontarf.
    Cheapest I have seen it.

Tis 40 in OBriens and Martins.
    30 in Celtic Whiskey Shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Lambay Small Batch is €29 in Nolans Clontarf.
    Cheapest I have seen it.

Tis 40 in OBriens and Martins.
    30 in Celtic Whiskey Shop.

It's not often you hear "Nolans" and "cheap" in the same sentence :pac:

Joking aside, yes, that's the lowest I've heard of that being offered - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

jameson signature and for the bad days a bit of blue spot

Signed up to the Irish Whiskey Society Clonakilty Whiskey Tasting.
    • Double Oak Blended Irish Whiskey - Blended Irish whiskey (43.6%)
    • Bordeaux Cask Single Grain Irish Whiskey- Bordeaux cask finish single grain (43.6%)
    • Port Cask Finish Blended Irish Whiskey - Blended Irish whiskey (43.6%)
    • Cognac Cask Finish Blended Irish Whiskey -Blended Irish whiskey (43.6%)
    • 15 YO Single Malt Single Cask - Special release (48.5%)
    • Pot Still New Make Sample

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I did the John's Lane deconstructed tasting last week.
    The 18 year old sherry component was the nicest of the three, at 59%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any opinions here on the Writers Tears Double Oak?

I had a dram of it in Dingle before and it was absolutely lovely, im going to qualify that by saying I had 8 or 9 pints in me at that stage though so I didnt pick up on any nuances in flavour :o

All things Kilbeggan over this week...

Basic Kilbeggan - rather rough and rustic straight tbh. In the basic blended range I'd drink Jameson, Dunphys, Powers ahead of it. But those robust flavours come through well in a mixed drink, or for the night's that in it with an east wind that'd strip the hide off an elephant - a hot whiskey. Will reserve the rest of the bottle for those.

Kilbeggan small batch Rye - intense spice here. I think my lips were still tingling about 10 seconds after sipping this. Not one to drink all night, but if you were just having one shot of whiskey (like in those old cowboy films), well one shot of this goes a long way.

Kilbeggan Single Grain (the new no age statement version) - Moderate spice on first sip, then grassy flavours followed by dessert flavours (creaminess? vanilla?). More of a 'session' whiskey than the small batch Rye. This was a sample from Dick Macks. Enjoyed the sample but wouldn't be buying a full bottle of it.

So some interesting flavours but still the now discontinued Kilbeggan 8 year old (originally the 'Greenore') would be my favourite expression.
    Haven't tried their pot still yet.

Basic Kilbeggan - rather rough and rustic straight tbh. In the basic blended range I'd drink Jameson, Dunphys, Powers ahead of it. But those robust flavours come through well in a mixed drink, or for the night's that in it with an east wind that'd strip the hide off an elephant - a hot whiskey. Will reserve the rest of the bottle for those.

Kilbeggan small batch Rye - intense spice here. I think my lips were still tingling about 10 seconds after sipping this. Not one to drink all night, but if you were just having one shot of whiskey (like in those old cowboy films), well one shot of this goes a long way.

Kilbeggan Single Grain (the new no age statement version) - Moderate spice on first sip, then grassy flavours followed by dessert flavours (creaminess? vanilla?). More of a 'session' whiskey than the small batch Rye. This was a sample from Dick Macks. Enjoyed the sample but wouldn't be buying a full bottle of it.

So some interesting flavours but still the now discontinued Kilbeggan 8 year old (originally the 'Greenore') would be my favourite expression.
    Haven't tried their pot still yet.

Thanks for the review of the single Grain NAS. I still think I'll be grabbing a bottle of it at some point. The KSG8 I have though, is starting to call out to me and I want it hidden away ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Thanks for the review of the single Grain NAS. I still think I'll be grabbing a bottle of it at some point. The KSG8 I have though, is starting to call out to me and I want it hidden away ASAP.

The Method & Madness Single grain was good value for money - mind you got the bottle on sale - no age statements but i understand its all 8yr + Midleton so not going too far wrong on that front.

Good one to mix in with the everydays - Got a bottle of Glendalough single grain and for 10 euro less its massively inferior in my opinion.

• Advertisement

The Method & Madness Single grain was good value for money - mind you got the bottle on sale - no age statements but i understand its all 8yr + Midleton so not going too far wrong on that front.
    Good one to mix in with the everydays - Got a bottle of Glendalough single grain and for 10 euro less its massively inferior in my opinion.

I'd second this.
    I've only had samples of both but really liked the Method & Madness Single Grain, rrp €50 but think you could up a bottle for €40 on offer before Christmas.

The Glendalough Double Barrel Single Grain didn't make much of an impression on me.

I'd second this.
    I've only had samples of both but really liked the Method & Madness Single Grain, rrp €50 but think you could up a bottle for €40 on offer before Christmas.

The Glendalough Double Barrel Single Grain didn't make much of an impression on me.

I have a bottle of that there alright. Got it when O'Briens had it for 40.

Lovely stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Got a bottle of this before Christmas and I found to be an outstanding drop, big fan of it.

odyssey06 wrote:

Some 21 year old Kilbeggan tonight as part of the IWS tasting. Lovely nose and nice vanilla sweetness to it. Discontinued now so hard to come across.

There will be a limited edition Redbreast release announced in the next couple of weeks. Not part of the Dream Cask range and will be more modestly priced compared to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

There will be a limited edition Redbreast release announced in the next couple of weeks. Not part of the Dream Cask range and will be more modestly priced compared to them too.

Thanks for the heads up - must keep an eye out.

Thanks for the heads up - must keep an eye out.

It'll be announced through the Birdhouse website so sign up if your not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Friend of mine gave me a bottle of Bushmills 10 YO Single Malt last night - anyone any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Friend of mine gave me a bottle of Bushmills 10 YO Single Malt last night - anyone any thoughts on it?

You could do a lot worse. It's one of my favourites. I always try to have a bottle on the shelf, although it never stays there very long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

OK but theres better at higher and lower price points -
    Teeling and Tyrconnell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

2011abc wrote: »
    OK but theres better at higher and lower price points -
    Teeling and Tyrconnell

Tastes better when it's for nothing ;)

Tastes better when it's for nothing

Free whiskey is the best whiskey.

Too much vino last night so just a few small ones for me tonight and bed early..famous last words 😴
    Starting off with a 15 year old Glenfiddich and will definitely sample the new Longrow too..got some good news today so treating myself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Too much vino last night so just a few small ones for me tonight and bed early..famous last words 😴
    Starting off with a 15 year old Glenfiddich and will definitely sample the new Longrow too..got some good news today so treating myself:)

Congrats on the good news. I dont even want to know what it is but my God we all need some these times.

Enjoy.

Free whiskey is the best whiskey.

You may remember recommending Ardbeg to me after I asked about more peaty whiskey and have to say it has grown on me.. You mentioned that some of the other Ardbeg were nice too or nicer so I signed up for the CWS tasting session but mixed up my days so still to sit down with the recording..
    So will let you know how it goes

You may remember recommending Ardbeg to me after I asked about more peaty whiskey and have to say it has grown on me.. You mentioned that some of the other Ardbeg were nice too or nicer so I signed up for the CWS tasting session but mixed up my days so still to sit down with the recording.. So will let you know how it goes

I do indeed. Hopefully the tasting goes well and you enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Tucking into a miniature of Balvenie Doublewood 17yo tonight. Sweet and rich with a touch of a chomp bar taste. Oaky too, and maybe a bit too much sherry for my preference. Not bad at all, as are other Balvenie I’ve had. I would rate the Doublewood 12yo higher so I’m gonna pass on shelling the extra quid for a full bottle of this.

Did the Irish Whiskey Society 21 year old tasting last night. I got the second covid jab earlier in the day and think it messed with my taste buds as some of them just didn't taste right. Should have held on to them.

Reading a book called The Lost Distilleries of Ireland. Fascinating stories of silent distilleries including some I never heard of. It was published in 1997 so at that time it was only Bushmills, Cooley and Midleton still in operation. Mad to think of all that has happened since then with all the new distilleries that have opened. You would also forget that whiskeys like Redbreast 15/21, Powers John's Lane and three swallows, yellow spot, black barrel, bushmills 16/21 etc have all been released since then too.

Going to try my Longrow Peated Campbeltown Single Malt next..be interesting to compare versus Ardbeg and Laphroaig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Going to try my Longrow Peated Campbeltown Single Malt next..be interesting to compare versus Ardbeg and Laphroaig

Had it a few weeks ago,and didn't last long.Would really recommended anyone to pick up a bottle at roughly 60 euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement