Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Cazale wrote: »
    Did the Irish Whiskey Society 21 year old tasting last night. I got the second covid jab earlier in the day and think it messed with my taste buds as some of them just didn't taste right. Should have held on to them.

Reading a book called The Lost Distilleries of Ireland. Fascinating stories of silent distilleries including some I never heard of. It was published in 1997 so at that time it was only Bushmills, Cooley and Midleton still in operation. Mad to think of all that has happened since then with all the new distilleries that have opened. You would also forget that whiskeys like
    Redbreast 15/21, Powers John's Lane and three swallows,
    yellow spot, black barrel, bushmills 16/21 etc have all been released since then too.

Have you any comparison done on the old powers johns lane verses the new bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Had a few drops of the Roe and Co tonight. Its replaced Jameson Black Barrel for me as much as I was a huge fan of it. At their respective prices, Roe and Co is the clear winner. Would happily get Jameson BB when it's on sale but dont think I'd justify the 50 quid general price now

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The Method & Madness Single grain was good value for money - mind you got the bottle on sale - no age statements but i understand its all 8yr + Midleton so not going too far wrong on that front.
    It was savage value when it was €34.50 in Dunnes before Christmas. And using S&S voucher brought the effective price down to €27.60!

Ah, miss those days. Luckily I've one of my stash of €30 Talisker bottles to hand to drown my sorrows! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

RB Lustau for me this eve. Had a bottle few years back and wasn’t particularly impressed. But this time, I really took to it. Possibly even preferable over the standard 12, which surprised me.

Strange how tastes change over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Going to try my Longrow Peated Campbeltown Single Malt next..be interesting to compare versus Ardbeg and Laphroaig

So, the Longrow is an unusual one for me.Has plenty about it and for me it's one for very small sips..you get a bit of a bite from it and then the peatiness kicks in..definitely one to let warm in the hands for a few minutes.

I had an Ardbeg 10 straight after the Longrow and it tasted a bit smoother and more mellow when first sipped..
    Both different but each had its attractions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Had a few Bill Phil Cask strengths last night.

Sitting room smelled like an old camp fire this morning.

Delightful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Have you any comparison done on the old powers johns lane verses the new bottle?

Haven't bought the new bottle yet. Have a Powers John Lane deconstruction set coming from Celtic Whiskey which promises to be a fascinating night if the Bushmills 21 year old deconstruction tasting is anything to go by.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Had a few Bill Phil Cask strengths last night.

Sitting room smelled like an old camp fire this morning.

Delightful stuff

This just arrived. Should be a good one.

Has anyone tried or got an opinion on the MVR Barry Crocket? It's for a very special occasion for someone close. And obviously I've never tried it.

https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/collections/irish-whiskey-family/products/midleton-barry-crockett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get a sample in the sets they sell, most Dunnes have them. You'll also end up with three other nice samples.

Its a nice product. Its massively overpriced like every premium IDL line, but its unlikely to disappoint an Irish whiskey drinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

L1011 wrote: »
    You can get a sample in the sets they sell, most Dunnes have them. You'll also end up with three other nice samples.

Its a nice product. Its massively overpriced like every premium IDL line, but its unlikely to disappoint an Irish whiskey drinker.

I doubt anyone could be disappointed by Barry Crockett but it’s 250/260 euro :-(Relatively speaking those potstill mini sets must be selling it at tiny profit margin, if any .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dobman88 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried or got an opinion on the MVR Barry Crocket? It's for a very special occasion for someone close. And obviously I've never tried it.

https://shop.jamesonwhiskey.com/collections/irish-whiskey-family/products/midleton-barry-crockett

I think it's the most overpriced Irish whiskey commonly available. I just don't find it very interesting.
    If I felt the need to spend that much money on an Irish whiskey, I'd go for the hr Dair Ghaelach - a much, much more interesting whiskey, in every way, in my opinion.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/midleton-dair-ghaelach-tree-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's gorgeous (like angel tears on the tongue) and certainly one you should have been mulling over over the Christmas with the wee pot still box set. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

It's a lovely whiskey for a treat or special occasion, if you have the cash you won't be disappointed regardless of what the naysayers tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

you won't be disappointed regardless of what the naysayers tell you

How about you just give your own opinion and don't try to undermine those of others?

How about you just give your own opinion and don't try to undermine those of others?

I have earlier in the thread

Ok, thanks lads for all opinions and advice. Will try and get one of the mini samples today

Ok, thanks lads for all opinions and advice. Will try and get one of the mini samples today

Dunnes normally have them, actually saw a few in my local store yesterday...you get the Redbreast 12yo, Johns Lane and Green spot as well (in that order imo tastewise)

Belfast Whiskey Week are planning 70+ tastings for their festival in July. In the run up they will be doing weekly tastings with those brands taking part. Talk of three samples and only paying for postage for them. I'll update here when they start them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Interesting approach from Hyde here- https://www.thedrinksreport.com/news/2021/18372-customise-a-cask-with-hyde-irish-whiskey.html
    If I was to describe it, it looks kinda like a twist on the "Store Pick" model from the US, with a choice of type of last 6 month finish.

• Advertisement

It's gorgeous (like angel tears on the tongue) and certainly one you should have been mulling over over the Christmas with the wee pot still box set. :)

Box set secured. And what with being laid off work and college on a week break, seems like a super Sunday could be on the cards.

Box set secured. And what with being laid off work and college on a week break, seems like a super Sunday could be on the cards.

I wouldn't do all of them if were you.
    The Johns Lane will over power the BC.

Spot>JL>RB>gap>BC

L Mulligans will be starting their tastings again soon after taking a pause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am hoping for a craic heavy Paddys Day one with Michael...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They also have a miniature set of all 5 cask finishes for €23. Sherry, Virgin Oak, Calvados and Port make up the four other cask finishes from this series.
    https://shop.westcorkdistillers.com/ie/home/west-cork-single-malt-cask-finishes-minis

Completing my tasting of the West Cork cask finishes from their miniature set.

Hits:
    Sherry cask
    Rum cask
    Port cask

Misses:
    Calvados cask *
    Virgin oak cask

* And I really liked the Whistler calvados cask finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭jayjbe

Completing my tasting of the West Cork cask finishes from their miniature set.

Hits:
    Sherry cask
    Rum cask
    Port cask

Misses:
    Calvados cask *
    Virgin oak cask

* And I really liked the Whistler calvados cask finish

Anyone try the Glengarriff bottles?

jayjbe wrote: »

Havent come across it alas.

Ps I understand they are now supplying the LIDL Dundalgan cask finished bottles. Not sure about the basic Dundalgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

jayjbe wrote: »

I have a bottle of the Bog Oak open since last week. It's nice, but tastes a bit young in my opinion. I had read a scathing review back along, but that seems unjustified to me.
    Think it could be very good if aged further before the Bog Oak finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My wife managed to win a Master of Malt competition to get a chance to buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace William Larue Weller Antique Collection at retail. It’s slowly making its way to me from the UK.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't do all of them if were you.
    The Johns Lane will over power the BC.

Spot>JL>RB>gap>BC

The missus, superstar that she is, suggested we do 1 a night. And since I couldn't wait to try the MVR we drank that this evening.

When you open it, can clearly smell the bourbon and it just smells really good. First taste is kind of like cloves and a bit of pepper and after leaving it sit there for a while, you get a clear smell of vanilla and fruit. After taste is really nice, can really taste the oak and bourbon which I love in a whiskey.

Tried the last drop of it with a touch of water and I enjoyed it more neat.

Not sure if I'd shell out the 250 quid for it. I'm telling myself its for a once off occasion so I may convince myself yet.

Can't go wrong with the samples for 30 or 35 quid tho so thanks to those who offered advice and opinions earlier.

You really CANT go wrong with the 4 potstill minis.Must be one of the few products on sale on Earth where small portions are around same price per ml/g as much larger containers.My personal view is that the Redbreast and Greenspot are quite meh ish compared with basic irish but the Johns Lane steps things up another gear and the BC is heaven .A pub measure of BC could easily cost almost as much as the 4 mini set (and would be 35ml not 50ml)

2011abc wrote: »
    You really CANT go wrong with the 4 potstill minis.Must be one of the few products on sale on Earth where small portions are around same price per ml/g as much larger containers.My personal view is that the Redbreast and Greenspot are quite meh ish compared with basic irish but the Johns Lane steps things up another gear and the BC is heaven .A pub measure of BC could easily cost almost as much as the 4 mini set (and would be 35ml not 50ml)

I spent an age trying to work out what the catch was with them. They're class value.

Have one sitting there in the press for an occasion. And it ain't gonna be a grand slam. Maybe a 7-in-a-row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

An Octomore 10 year old,

Real sniff of iodine and sea spray off it, but it tastes very smooth and then the smoke hits like a train! lovely balance though, it doesn't overpower at the same time, if it only wasn't so bloody expensive!

One I have never come across on here is the Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye, anyone ever had it?

Picking up the NAS Single Grain this week and the Rye caught my eye.

An Octomore 10 year old,

Real sniff of iodine and sea spray off it, but it tastes very smooth and then the smoke hits like a train! lovely balance though, it doesn't overpower at the same time, if it only wasn't so bloody expensive!

I would have thought this was peat , peat , PEAT !

• Advertisement

One I have never come across on here is the Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye, anyone ever had it?
    Picking up the NAS Single Grain this week and the Rye caught my eye.

It's very different to the Single Grain, which I think is a lighter feel and sweeter. This has a more robust hit of spiciness to it.
    Nice but a bit pricey at €55 RRP. I can't see me picking up another bottle of it when I finish this one.

Good review here: A slight light pepper spice complimented with some sweetness... Finish – Medium to long with a that pepper spice continuing and intensifying right into a slight dryness and a mouth tingle that lasts nicely. Sweetness here that I didn’t get before and maybe a slight citrus note, wee touch of Lemon zest maybe.
    https://thatsdramgood.com/2018/10/30/kilbeggan-small-batch-rye-2/

And some background info on the blend:
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/whiskey-review-kilbeggan-irish-whiskey-small-batch-rye/

It was that review that piqued me.

I need something to go into that gap on the shelf anyway. So we'll see where I land. The 40euro one4all voucher is making any choice easier to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Belfast Whiskey Week are planning 70+ tastings for their festival in July. In the run up they will be doing weekly tastings with those brands taking part. Talk of three samples and only paying for postage for them. I'll update here when they start them.

Hey,

I'm looking at getting a bottke of Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan. If you had the choice ehich would you go for???

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I hope they'll kick off with, as another poster suggested, St Patrick's eve/day! I did 2 of their tastings at the end of last year and really enjoyed them (my wallet did not afterwards!).

We finished off the first bottle of Blue Spot at the weekend and I'm reluctant enough to open the second given that I can't find it for sale anywhere. I picked up a bottle for my brother in the Loop in early January and haven't been able to drop it down to them in Cork because of the lockdown....so I guess technically I'm sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

https://www.thejournal.ie/boann-distillery-long-lost-whiskey-recipes-5354809-Feb2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Anybody tried this whiskey? Sounds a good story and always happy to support new distillerys who invest in a good authentic story and product so happy to give them a go.

Wondering if this is thier own stock or rebottled stock from a larger distillery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

picachu wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking at getting a bottke of Ardbeg Uigeadail or Corryvreckan. If you had the choice ehich would you go for???

I'm not who you asked but thought I'd weigh in as I have a bottle of Uigeadail and have recently sampled both side by side!

Quite simply the answer is "Whatever you're in the mood for", as they're quite different. For me at least the Uigeadail is all about the mysterious silky allure of Ardbeg peatiness meeting dark fruit sherry sweetness whereas the Corryveckan is more of a peat forward, medicinal punch in the mouth but still with oodles of complexity. I love the peatier stuff and was really impressed with the Corry; it's vastly superior to Ardbeg 10 imo. The Uggy is its own beast - quite unique and very different to anything I've had before. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle of Corry some day down the line for a special occasion.

If you're not into sherry influenced whiskey maybe you might not be into the Uggy but who knows. Also important to note they're both around cask strength so tread carefully if you're not used to cask strength.

Celtic Whiskey have two announced new tastings.

Teeling Brabazon Tasting Pack

Chateau du Breuil Calvados Tasting Pack

conor678 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/boann-distillery-long-lost-whiskey-recipes-5354809-Feb2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Anybody tried this whiskey? Sounds a good story and always happy to support new distillerys who invest in a good authentic story and product so happy to give them a go.

Wondering if this is thier own stock or rebottled stock from a larger distillery.

The Boann distillery became operational in 2019 as far as I know.
    So if the article means the first casks (unaged) are coming up for sale then I'd assume it's their own stock?
    But they aren't selling it as whiskey to be drunk yet?

Reading from an article in the Sunday Independent with owner Pat Cooney:
    Distillery capacity 800,000 litres a year. A third of the output is for their Whistler range, a third for casks sold to the public and a third will be sold on to other whiskey companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

The Boann distillery became operational in 2019 as far as I know.
    So if the article means the first casks (unaged) are coming up for sale then I'd assume it's their own stock?
    But they aren't selling it as whiskey to be drunk yet?

Correct, they are selling some casks right now for release in 5+ years. I'm part of a syndicate that has bought a couple casks. I'm just getting a few bottles myself but I'll copy and paste some of the details I got below:

The Boann Distillery Vintage Mashbills have been produced in association with author and PhD. Candidate Fionnán O’Connor.
    Fionnán has spent the last two years trolling through archives in Ireland and the UK to uncover the lost mashbill distilling history of the island of Ireland.
    People understand that the historic distilleries in Ireland were lost to time, in an industrial sense. What people seldom realise is the sheer amounts of flavours that were lost when all of these house mashbills ceased to exist.
    This project has brought an amazing tapestry of lost mashbill flavours back to the Irish whiskey industry.
    There will be Approx 10 Mashbills being released being. There will be 12 casks of each Mashbill available.

That is 120 casks total!!!

These will be available in 3 cask types (Rum, Sherry Olorosso, NEOC). As a club I want to take all 10 variants! That’s 10 Casks - This will cost Approx £50,000 - not expecting you to invest this type of cash...

They will not be released for consumption for 5yrs..... or longer if we think it will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Thanks for the info chaps. They sound like an interesting outfit and am interested to see the new releases of the old recipes they've found.

I don't mind supporting outfits like that. I will keep my eye on them

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I'm not who you asked but thought I'd weigh in as I have a bottle of Uigeadail and have recently sampled both side by side!

Quite simply the answer is "Whatever you're in the mood for", as they're quite different. For me at least the Uigeadail is all about the mysterious silky allure of Ardbeg peatiness meeting dark fruit sherry sweetness whereas the Corryveckan is more of a peat forward, medicinal punch in the mouth but still with oodles of complexity. I love the peatier stuff and was really impressed with the Corry; it's vastly superior to Ardbeg 10 imo. The Uggy is its own beast - quite unique and very different to anything I've had before. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle of Corry some day down the line for a special occasion.

If you're not into sherry influenced whiskey maybe you might not be into the Uggy but who knows. Also important to note they're both around cask strength so tread carefully if you're not used to cask strength.

Thanks for that. I'm looking for something that really packs a punch. I might go with the Corry

odyssey06 wrote:
    Reading from an article in the Sunday Independent with owner Pat Cooney: Distillery capacity 800,000 litres a year. A third of the output is for their Whistler range, a third for casks sold to the public and a third will be sold on to other whiskey companies.

Big fan of Fionnan and his research so will be interesting to see where that goes. Hope to get samples of the whole range when possible.

Boann loses a bit of my support due to their involvement with some dubious whiskey 'investment opportunities'. Less of that and more experiments please.

Interesting interview on the origin of the name of The Whistler. Skip to 3 min 45 for some whistling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got it before, after trying another rye whiskey at Whiskey Live one year. I really liked it.

I think it's still the one that was distilled by Alex Chasko from Teelings, before he moved. I could be wrong on that now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

2021 Midleton Very Rare is released on Thursday apparently

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement