Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Got a litre bottle at Edinburgh airport of Ardmore Highland single malt traditionally peated Scotch whisky, haven't uncapped it as yet, how would this one be rated. I got it for 36 Euros which seems a good deal considering the Celtic Whisky store is selling it for 55 Euros.
    I did the same earlier this evening, except from a different airport (East Midlands, £30). I was looking for online reviews in the shop but couldn't find any for this particular bottle, only some positive ones for the 46% version (this is 40%). Trying it for the first time, on the tongue it's creamy, almost an Irish whiskey feel, but then the peat kicks in. I'm getting a few coffee and nutmeg hints there. Light, not as chewy as (say) Laphroaig. Unusual in that it's a peated Speyside whisky.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Jameson Caskmates - Stout Edition can be bought for €30 in Supervalu, offer ending tomorrow the 18th. Anyone care to weigh in on it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Noveight wrote: »
    Jameson Caskmates - Stout Edition can be bought for €30 in Supervalu, offer ending tomorrow the 18th. Anyone care to weigh in on it? :)

I don't like it at all but plenty of people do. Just don't like the taste.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wasn't gone on it when I first tried it a few months back.
    It sat in the press until last week when I tried it again and it's actually quite nice. Must depend on my mood or something.

I was enjoying some more of my Redbreast Lustau over the weekend.
    Also picked up some green Writers tears. Tried the both the green and red but at the time (in Celtic Whiskey Shop) I preferred the green. Haven't opened it yet so that's something to look forward to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 in duty free over the weekend. Saved myself a good €30. It's instantly my new favourite. Think I'll keep it in the cupboard with the Yellow Spot for special occasions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I quite like it, very smooth.
    Well worth it @ 30 IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I like the Caskmates, still have some of a 1L bottle I got via DF left, but happened to be in SV recently. Had a spare €6 off €30 discount voucher, so picked me up a bottle of Caskmates for €24. Well happy with myself

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Anyone ever had Nikka From the Barrel? Might pick some up on my way through the airport.

Anyone ever had Nikka From the Barrel? Might pick some up on my way through the airport.

There was chat about it here a few weeks back. I've bought it 4/5 times. Absolutely love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There was chat about it here a few weeks back. I've bought it 4/5 times. Absolutely love it.

+1. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I always have a bottle in the house...51% but smooth to drink and well worth a purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Hey guys, so whiskey purchase on the cards tomorrow. I'm interested in either Green Spot or Jameson Black Barrel. Any thoughts on either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

nkav86 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so whiskey purchase on the cards tomorrow. I'm interested in either Green Spot or Jameson Black Barrel. Any thoughts on either?

Jameson Black Barrel is €40 in Tesco until the 22nd, very much worth that from reviews I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Green spot is more highly rated but it depends on what your preference is. What do you normally drink?

Noveight wrote:
    Jameson Black Barrel is €40 in Tesco until the 22nd, very much worth that from reviews I've read.

Oh fantastic, thanks for the tip! I've heard good about both, trying something new every month or so as a treat.

Total novice, I've tried and loved the writers tears pot still, gave bulleit bourbon a bash....good but not as enjoyable as the first.

Edit: to say on nights out I usually stick to Jameson and ginger ale, so this would be a weekend sipping affair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Green Spot.

Not even a contest tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

[
    Oh fantastic, thanks for the tip! I've heard good about both, trying something new every month or so as a treat.
    You may already be aware, but in case not. The black barrel is a rebrand of the Jameson Select Reserve. Just in case bpeopke have tried one but not the other.

jameson-select-reserve-black-barrel-small-batch-blended-irish-whiskey-county-cork-ireland-10366771.jpg

Slattsy wrote:
    Green Spot.

Lol decisions! Think I'll head into O Brien's and have a nosey after work!

Mellor wrote:
    You may already be aware, but in case not. The black barrel is a rebrand of the Jameson Select Reserve. Just in case bpeopke have tried one but not the other.

Didn't know that, that's interesting

• Advertisement

There were (possibly still are) a couple of Jameson Select Reserves. The Black Barrel one was just Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel. There was another one, Jameson Select Reserve Small Batch, and I think there was a third one about.

Prefer the old branding to be honest, everything a bit neater looking. Not that it matters a ****e.

It’s against Parcel Motel’s T&C’s to carry alcohol. Please don’t post in here again.

The Gloomster

It’s against Parcel Motel’s T&C’s to carry alcohol. Please don’t post in here again.

The Gloomster

Sorry, I never even knew that was the case.

Who's been buying up the black barrel?? Didn't make it to O'Brien's so popped into tesco to get a bottle of Jameson, not one on the shelf. Asked the guy if there was anymore, he must have been 15mins gone and came back with 3 bottles. Grabbed one quick! Dying to try this tonight, great price too!

Thanks to Noveight for the heads up!

Well this is way too easy to drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I quite like it, very smooth.
    Well worth it @ 30 IMO

Got that myself yesterday. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've a few bottles open at the moment

Midleton V.R. 2016
    Monkey Shoulder
    Jameson Signature

112820.jpg

monkey-shoulder-blended-scotch-whisky.jpg?square=1

I've never come across the signature, what's it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've never come across the signature, what's it like?

It's a duty free only.

It's fine.

But I've a cold, so my taste buds aren't great

That makes sense, I don't envy ya I'm just pouring a black barrel been horsing into this!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just about to finish bottle of this and need another stat. Beautiful stuff.

• Advertisement

Just about to finish bottle of this and need another stat. Beautiful stuff.

Call around to mine ;)

Lads, if you like the Nikka you really should try shelling out a bit more on some of the Suntory ones. They're amazing.

Lads, if you like the Nikka you really should try shelling out a bit more on some of the Suntory ones. They're amazing.

Any in particular you'd recommend. A friend picked up a bottle of yamasaki a while ago was decent.
    The standard "suntory" whisky, and the suntory premium are the cheapest japanese whiskies in my local bottle shop.

Mellor wrote: »

Any in particular you'd recommend. A friend picked up a bottle of yamasaki a while ago was decent.
    The standard "suntory" whisky, and the suntory premium are the cheapest japanese whiskies in my local bottle shop.

Hakushu 12 or Hibiki 12 or 17. The 17 is verrry pricy.

Just order a bottle of Greenspot from Masters of Malt. Delivery was expensive, so decided to make the most of it so threw in a bottle of gin, and a few dram tasters. A 12 year Auchentoshan and a Rhubarb and a Yamasaki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just order a bottle of Greenspot from Masters of Malt. Delivery was expensive, so decided to make the most of it so threw in a bottle of gin, and a few dram tasters. A 12 year Auchentoshan and a Rhubarb and a Yamasaki

Edinburgh rhubarb?

Edinburgh rhubarb?

Nah, the ginger out me off that one. Went with Nelson's Rhubarb and Custard Gin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭FlicFlak

Just got my order in, got:
    Nikka Whisky from the barrel
    Evan Williams Single barrel vintage
    Glengoyne 12 year old
    Caol Ila 12 year old
    The Benriach Curiositas peated 10 year old

Also got Bushmills 10 year old and a Powers 3 Swallows on offer with a €10 off voucher!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nah, the ginger out me off that one. Went with Nelson's Rhubarb and Custard Gin.

Right, not tried that.
    The Edinburgh one is a gin liqueur anyway.

You don't like ginger??
    What the hell is wrong with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Had a 10 euro voucher for Tesco... and kilbeggan whiskey is down to 20 from 27...

So got a 27 euro bottle of kilbeggan for a tenner.

Happy days

• Advertisement

Right, not tried that.
    The Edinburgh one is a gin liqueur anyway.

You don't like ginger??
    What the hell is wrong with you?
    It's nice in some dishes but often over used imo. Educated guess that a gin would get too much gin and not enough rhubarb.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Geuze wrote: »
    I have highlighted this price before, on other threads.

It's a great deal, I'm surprised it's still available.

Asda increased from 36 to 40 a year or two ago.

The weaker GBP post Brexit will increase import costs into the UK, so I can't see this 31 GBP being available for long.

Just a headsup to anyone looking for a good deal on Redbreast 12 yo. It is still available in Sainsburys in the North at £31. I picked up two bottles myself in the Derry City store yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Another heads up for people

Jameson 70cl in a nice box is 20 euro in supervalu. Handy presents for xmas. Usually 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Another heads up for people

Jameson 70cl in a nice box is 20 euro in supervalu. Handy presents for xmas. Usually 30
    my local SV had sets with 2 glasses included. So picked me up 2 bottles and 4 glasses for €40....had €10 off €50 voucher as well so worked out very nice indeed!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

my local SV had sets with 2 glasses included.
    I picked up a set just now to help me through the dark December evenings.

Green Spot Château Léoville Barton finished in Bordeaux wine casks which previously held Chateau Leoville Barton Saint Julien.

Couldn't judge this when I first opened it tasted too strange, this one definitely needs time in the bottle and a bit of air.

The pot-still quality wasn't too tacky on the tongue, understated, oak vanilla sweetness, very easy to drink, too easy! Definitely up there in my top 5 Irish whiskies but at the price I won't be buying another bottle (another bottle could be an investment though if it is a limited edition). Going to stick with my 12 redbreast cask strength but it was a very good departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Got that last Xmas...was nice ..but overall I preferred Redbreast Lustau..just a bit more depth and taste to it I thought

Got that last Xmas...was nice ..but overall I preferred Redbreast Lustau..just a bit more depth and taste to it I thought

The lustau came out on top for me at a recent tasting but I would rather pay the extra for the cask strength but budget depending it would be a good pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Folks, as someone who drinks the odd whiskey on a night out (rare), can I ask how do most of you take your whiskey?

I am assuming purists are going to say neat or with some water. Are mixers frowned upon in the whiskey world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

NIMAN wrote:
    I am assuming purists are going to say neat or with some water. Are mixers frowned upon in the whiskey world?

To each their own, but a mixer will dilute the taste of the whisky you are paying for. Personally I prefer neat or with a few drops of water depending on strength.

It's about finding a way for it to work for you, while still being able to appreciate the whisky.

Grinds my gears for example someone telling me how much they love whisky then dumping in a full glass of ginger ale on top of it so all you can taste is the ginger .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement