Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    Not tried too many cognacs before. Really enjoyed it. At that price I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow.

Just picked one up. It was showing full price on the shelf and the guy stocking wasn't aware of the reduction but it scanned at €75.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Snap! None on the shelf but there was one in the stores with no box.

Edit. I had a €25 one for all voucher leftover from xmas so it only cost me €50 in cash. Bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

2 left on the shelf in Roxborro, Limerick. ;)

Edit. I had a €25 one for all voucher leftover from xmas so it only cost me €50 in cash. Bargain!

I got the box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Never got into brandy. Used to drink it sometimes when I was locked with diet coke and it wasn't unpleasant.

I'd have a general idea of what I like and what to look for in whiskey. What does brandy bring to the table and what should I be looking for when I drink it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Using up yesterday's pancake day leftovers on a sour

3 parts whiskey (Connemara for me)
    2 parts lemon juice (possibly a fraction too much)
    1 part maple syrup
    Pinch of cinnamon

Shaken with ice. It's delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Effects wrote: »

I think that'll be a long way off. People seem happy with the rise in Irish whiskey, that they won't want to rock the boat.

As someone in the industry, I'd love to rock that boat. In fact, I'd like to turn it over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I literally just remembered my €40 one.for.all voucher. Sake.

Grabbed a bottle earlier anyway. Nice bonus birthday present for herself next week. :) Win win!

Started a thread for Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc. Chat about White Port started already. Check it out!

Started a thread for Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc. Chat about White Port started already. Check it out!

Good man.

• Advertisement

Fair play. Between lockdown and my more frequent visits to this forum I'll be a raging alcoholic by the end of it :pac:

dobman88 wrote: »
    Fair play. Between lockdown and my more frequent visits to this forum I'll be a raging alcoholic by the end of it :pac:

You mean, you're not already?

The 7-in-a-row will kick you over the edge!

You mean, you're not already?

The 7-in-a-row will kick you over the edge!

Lol, I can still step it up a bit I'd say.

Nah, if the hope after Killians goal in the drawn game didnt finish me off, nothing will, until that point in was just along for the occasion. I've backed them to do 10 in a row with Boyles anyway so I'm fully expecting them to do 7.

You won't be welcome back down to the long grass with that attitude at all at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Just opened a bottle of Australian Starward Nova single malt. I bought it last year via Flaviar, but only getting round to it now. I had a sample bottle before Christmas and was underwhelmed, so wasn’t in a hurry to open the full bottle.

Still not grabbing me. It’s just very bland. I’ll probably use it in cocktails.

Having to wash it down now with a Redbreast Lustau. Purely medicinal.

I remember you posting a pic of it alright and was curious.

It was certainly something that I wasn't at all interested in getting, but very interesting in hearing about it.

Some of those Flaviar offerings can be a bit off I have found. I can never pull the trigger on them. As it happens I've paused my membership for now.

Enough on the shelf.

I remember you posting a pic of it alright and was curious.

It was certainly something that I wasn't at all interested in getting, but very interesting in hearing about it.

Some of those Flaviar offerings can be a bit off I have found. I can never pull the trigger on them. As it happens I've paused my membership for now.

Enough on the shelf.

Here’s your twin. I did the same.

Strongly resisting the urge to read the brandy thread!

You can't come in til you show us your picture of your H.XO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Just opened a bottle of Australian Starward Nova single malt. I bought it last year via Flaviar, but only getting round to it now. I had a sample bottle before Christmas and was underwhelmed, so wasn’t in a hurry to open the full bottle.

Still not grabbing me. It’s just very bland. I’ll probably use it in cocktails.

It's exclusively aged in wine casks. Which is rather unique. I can't think of any others that do this. However it is VERY young. They push the idea the the fluctuating climate leads to the spirit aging better faster. But I'm not convinced.
    I haven't tried it, but suspect it's over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Mate sent me this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭xeresod

Mate sent me this.

The photo or the bottle?!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

RRP of €180.

We'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Deagol

RRP of €180.

We'll see...

I've ordered a bottle directly from the Midleton site. None of the retailers online I checked had it up yet and going by last year I'm not chancing missing out :)

Including shipping €188.

P.S. Mate tried and got one but his brother just tried (18:27) and it's gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

sold out now, anyone know if there are larger numbers produced this year?

• Advertisement

sold out now, anyone know if there are larger numbers produced this year?
    Rumours on the Friends of Midleton facebook group are that this was a very small advance release, with the main release possibly to come in June, and that there should be 3x as much as 2020

Celtic Whiskey will have it tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

According to CWS:
    Please note that Midleton Very Rare 2021 will be released in three lots this year; tomorrow, July and October/November.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I wasn't in anyway interested... and suddenly I am.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I wasn't in anyway interested... and suddenly I am.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's the thing, isn't it? Such hype after last year and then a limited release "selling out"

I wanted a 2020 for my son, born last year, but generally have no particular interest, yet I had one in my basket before having second thoughts and realising I can't really afford it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's great that Middleton is so popular but I might nicely suggest a standalone thread?

I've enjoyed a few smokey /peaty Scotch in recent years including Highland Park, Springbank 10 and Laphroaig

They are getting more difficult to find so more recently have enjoyed Powers John Lane which was excellent, Redbreast (good), Jamey Creasted (just OK) and the new style Powers which I thought was very ordinary, sweet and missing the kick I remember from a few years back.

What's the best mid range Irish whiskey these days, is it worth bothering with a Teelings or a Bushmills based on what I've written??

• Advertisement

athlone573 wrote: »
    It's great that Middleton is so popular but I might nicely suggest a standalone thread?

I see; that reads to me as "I'm not interested in talking about the Midleton so everyone who is please push off to another thread so I can talk about what I want to?"

odyssey06 wrote:
    According to CWS: Please note that Midleton Very Rare 2021 will be released in three lots this year; tomorrow, July and October/November.

MVR was never too difficult to get previously. This staged release is obviously a good strategy for Irish Distillers but it doesn't have the genuine whiskey fan at heart and the bottles released tomorrow are destined for the auction sites. As stated before I love a glass of Midleton. I just wouldn't queue up for it especially in an artificial manner.

Deagol wrote: »
    I see; that reads to me as "I'm not interested in talking about the Midleton so everyone who is please push off to another thread so I can talk about what I want to?"

Well yeah as the thread title is what are we drinking not what are we buying to put aside. But I'm new around here so whatever!

I can understand collecting MVR every year to give to a child at 18 etc. but, given that I drink whatever I buy, I'd have no real interest in getting a bottle every year.

Has anyone tasted multiple years side by side lately? And am I right in thinking that there isn't a massive difference from year to year?

What's it like compared to Redbreast, it must be amazing?

Well yeah as the thread title is what are we drinking not what are we buying to put aside. But I'm new around here so whatever!

As you're new here, you'll find that almost everyone here is a drinker first and foremost and the dearth of MVR as discussed here has all been around how its no longer available to drunk as it was but 2 years ago.

I guess we will just have to survive on Dair Gaelach and Barry Crockett.

It evolves.

As a relatively new poster to this thread myself, I'd suggest to just go with the flow and jump into the conversation. They're a friendly bunch that know their stuff in here.

Have enjoyed the reviews and trying the whiskey that's talked about which I probably would never have done before joining in.

dobman88 wrote: »
    It evolves.

As a relatively new poster to this thread myself, I'd suggest to just go with the flow and jump into the conversation. They're a friendly bunch that know their stuff in here.

Have enjoyed the reviews and trying the whiskey that's talked about which I probably would never have done before joining in.

Plus it's a bollox on your wallet

Plus its a bollox on your wallet

Yep - I decided I had too many bottles (especially as we're moving home soon) so I'm not buying until I finish a good few. This thread tests my resolve on that :pac:

As I'm supposedly off the drink for lent I'll watch and learn for a while

Ardbeg is looking more likely than Midleton though :)

• Advertisement

Another bottle of Roe & Co bites the dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

What's it like compared to Redbreast, it must be amazing?

Nope, it's not. Overpriced watered down caramel filled whiskey that's very cleverly marketed as "The pinnacle of Irish Whiskey" lol. I've had a few bottles over the years, 2014, 15 and 18. They were given to me as gifts. I wouldn't dream of spending nearly 200 on a MVR when there's so much nicer whiskies out there for less.

Easy to drink with not much to interest the taste buds, thats how I've found any bottles I've had. My advice is to spend that money on a redbreast 21 or Bushmills 21.

Wailin wrote: »
    Nope, it's not. Overpriced watered down caramel filled whiskey that's very cleverly marketed as "The pinnacle of Irish Whiskey" lol. I've had a few bottles over the years, 2014, 15 and 18. They were given to me as gifts. I wouldn't dream of spending nearly 200 on a MVR when there's so much nicer whiskies out there for less.

Easy to drink with not much to interest the taste buds, thats how I've found any bottles I've had. My advice is to spend that money on a redbreast 21 or Bushmills 21.

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Wailin wrote:
    . I wouldn't dream of spending nearly 200 on a MVR when there's so much nicer whiskies out there for less.

What about between 7-900 for the
    2020!

Got some Redbreast 15 and Bunnahabhain 12 from a fellow thread poster earlier. Very generous of them. Slainte :D

Got some Redbreast 15 and Bunnahabhain 12 from a fellow thread poster earlier. Very generous of them. Slainte :D

I finished a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 the other night and immediately ordered a replacement. That was my third bottle since April. Certainly my favourite whisky.

Wailin wrote: »

I love MVR but I agree you can get equally good whiskey a bit cheaper, I buy it for the fun of it - as it almost certainly will accrue in value. My plan is simply to buy a bottle each year to collect and when I'm gone someone can have the joy of either drinking it or selling it and toasting my memory with something they enjoy. Saying that, whenever I run out of a drinking bottle I buy two - one for the 'vault' and one for the shelf. I enjoy seeing my little line of the bottles in the meantime - and sure I can always drink them if they don't accrue :)

Not sure about the 'caramel' filled comment though - the colour varies enormously over the years?

But the one big thing for me about it is I travel a lot for work and I can pick it up in LHR on the way home for around €145. (It's usually £129 I think), so it's much better value and if I'm ever stuck for a few bob I can probably sell it on straight away for a few bob :)

Has anyone here tried the Glenlivet distillers reserve? Bought a bottle last year and it's the closest thing I've ever had from a Scots distillery to an Irish whiskey - extremely smooth but with a lot of body. Well worth the €40 I spent on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Deagol wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried the Glenlivet distillers reserve? Bought a bottle last year and it's the closest thing I've ever had from a Scots distillery to an Irish whiskey - extremely smooth but with a lot of body. Well worth the €40 I spent on it!

I would say Speyside is the closest Scotch style to most Irish, lot of sherry cask influence.

The Glenlivet Distiller's reserve is nice, bit disappointed with the Founders Reserve (blue pack) which you see in the supermarkets.

For a while you couldn't get Glenlivet 12, but seems more readily available now. I'd consider that a step up again from the Distiller's Reserve in quality, though in a similar style.

And on offer at €45:
    https://www.drinkshero.com/collections/scotch-whisky-1/products/the-glenlivet-12yr-70cl-gift-pack

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

MVR is the Bitcoin of whiskey!

• Advertisement

Just a heads up for the midleton collectors, there will be quotas on the amount you can buy. I work for dunnes, just off the phone with the buying office. They haven't set the amount yet but probably one per customer. People are already in asking for it and we've had lots of phone calls but it won't land in our shops until next week at least. Lots of staff and management already pestering me to put them away for them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement