Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Had a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 Year Old Solera unopened since summer 2016

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenfiddich/glenfiddich-15-year-old-solera-whisky/

Cracked it open last night.

Absolutely divine stuff.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Picked up a bottle of powers three swallow in Tesco today.
    Was 45, down to 35 and I had a dunnes voucher for €5 off - So cost me €30

Was one I really enjoyed at whiskey live, never had it before, looking forward to having a sup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

mik_da_man wrote: »

Was one I really enjoyed at whiskey live, never had it before, looking forward to having a sup.

30e's a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Twice this time last year I was stung by customs when buying from amazon, is it still a risk with the above?

Its definitely still a risk, and after a few times being caught Revenue may actually look at prosecution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    Its definitely still a risk, and after a few times being caught Revenue may actually look at prosecution.
    Please excuse the ignorance here, but how could he be prosecuted?
    Import alcohol, pay excise duty. No law has been broken.

Mellor wrote: »
    Please excuse the ignorance here, but how could he be prosecuted?
    Import alcohol, pay excise duty. No law has been broken.

You need an excise licence to pay excise duty. Random punters do not have one.

Also, attempting to get it delivered without declaration = smuggling.

You need an excise licence to pay excise duty. Random punters do not have one.
    Also, attempting to get it delivered without declaration = smuggling.
    I don't think that's correct. You need an excise license to import goods for business purposes. An individual doesn't need a license to import alcohol for individual use.

From Revenue's website;
    Excise duty also falls due on alcohol entering Ireland from abroad. If an individual consumer purchases alcohol and has it delivered to Ireland from another country, excise (and other customs charges, as well as Value Added Tax (VAT)) will be payable before Customs will release the product.
    How do I pay the relevant charges?
    An Post will attach a Customs Docket, similar to that shown below, to your package with details of the amount of import charges owing. You will need to pay this amount to An Post before they will release your package to you.

So import alcohol, An Post assign duty, pay duty and they release it.
    Importing alcohol for individual use is perfectly legal. I've no idea why you thing there's a prosecution risk.

Who mentioned anything about not declaring. A declaration is needed for any international parcel, regardless of what it in. The senders fills that out.

Products are seized, you aren't given the option to pay duty as you do require a licence to pay it.

Excisable items have to be physically with you to be personal imports

And yes, you do get prosecuted for repeatedly attempting to get excisable or prescription it aems by post/courier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Products are seized, you aren't given the option to pay duty as you do require a licence to pay it.

And yes, you do get prosecuted for repeatedly attempting to get excisable or prescription it aems by post/courier.

Any cases you can point to? Would be an interesting read.

• Advertisement

Two Christmas's ago we had the horrors of the Belgian beers, vast number of forum members getting their stuff siezed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057515206

As goes prosecutions - most people don't keep trying after losing that much product. All excise offences are potentially prosecutable but they don't do it for the first few - most people aren't aware it was illegal when the first seizure occurs and they have leniency.

Keep doing it when you're well aware its illegal and they will prosecute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭granturismo

mik_da_man wrote: »

Are Tescos honouring Dunnes' vouchers?

I used my €10 voucher last week in Dunnes to buy a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel and another €15 voucher this week to buy Jameson Caskmates (never tried it and want to compare to the Black Barrel).

Are Tescos honouring Dunnes' vouchers?

I used my €10 voucher last week in Dunnes to buy a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel and another €15 voucher this week to buy Jameson Caskmates (never tried it and want to compare to the Black Barrel).

Dunnes x off y vouchers - yes

Dunnes Valueclub 'cash' vouchers - no.

Two Christmas's ago we had the horrors of the Belgian beers, vast number of forum members getting their stuff siezed

As goes prosecutions - most people don't keep trying after losing that much product. All excise offences are potentially prosecutable but they don't do it for the first few - most people aren't aware it was illegal when the first seizure occurs and they have leniency.

Keep doing it when you're well aware its illegal and they will prosecute.

I'm well aware people have had booze seized. It was mentioned mere pages ago here after all. I specifically meant prosecuted cases, as I assumed that when you said "it seems you do get prosecuted" that you were pointing to facts.

I'm well aware people have had booze seized. It was mentioned mere pages ago here after all. I specifically meant prosecuted cases, as I assumed that when you said "it seems you do get prosecuted" that you were pointing to facts.

I'm pointing to the law. Its an offence and Revenue have the right to prosecute. It would be District Court so cases are not recorded unless a local paper decides to cover it.

Appears to be a 5k fine under the Finance Act 2001.

Ok, but do you acknowledge that when you said

you had absolutely no evidence to back it up and it was complete speculation?

Grand job.

• Advertisement

Ok, but do you acknowledge that when you said

you had absolutely no evidence to back it up and it was complete speculation?

Grand job.

Autocorrect issue for "items" not "it seems".

The law is there. Revenue are not known for not enforcing the law.

The onus is on the purchaser to convince themselves they won't get prosecuted for repeatedly breaking the law. If you want to take that risk, make sure you've 5k handy.

But you've absolutely no evidence of anyone being prosecuted for this offence, despite your absolute assertion that it happens. Cool.

But you've absolutely no evidence of anyone being prosecuted for this offence, despite your absolute assertion that it happens. Cool.

I've no idea what your point is here. Its an offence with a hefty fine and you appear to be convinced its not an issue because District Court events don't generally get reported? It is not possible to give you a specific case because it won't have been reported.

4 succesful prosecutions in 2016
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/annual-report/2016/ar-2016.pdf

2 in 2015
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/annual-report-2015.pdf

Repeat offenders do get prosecuted.

Well the revenue website disagrees with that on both counts.
    Prescription item are a completely different issue not sure why that's being tacked on.

As I said previously. Moving items within the EU doesnt count as importing. In that case it's treated as a sale and if the seller hasn't organised his tax (in country of sale) it gets seized. It's nothing to do with the purchaser not paying excise or not having a license.
    If you order alcohol from another European Union (EU) Member State (for example from a website), the seller in that country should establish a tax representative in Ireland to pay excise duty. If the seller does not do this, the product may be liable to be detained, seized and forfeited.

As I said previously. Moving items within the EU doesnt count as importing. In that case it's treated as a sale and if the seller hasn't organised his tax (in country of sale) it gets seized. It's nothing to do with the purchaser not paying excise or not having a license.

It gets seized, and the purchaser cannot just pay the duty despite what you think

And you are misinterpreting the Revenue site, badly.

Excise avoidance has the same penalties whether the item is from inside or outside the customs union.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what your point is here. Its an offence with a hefty fine and you appear to be convinced its not an issue because District Court events don't generally get reported? It is not possible to give you a specific case because it won't have been reported.

4 succesful prosecutions in 2016
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/annual-report/2016/ar-2016.pdf

2 in 2015
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/annual-report-2015.pdf

Repeat offenders do get prosecuted.

From the link above;
    This team also raises charges on parcel post, as necessary, in respect of duties and VAT and provides a quality service in all contacts with the public.

From the link above;

import duties.

excise duties are a different thing

My point is that you're talking complete and utter bollocks and asserting it as fact. You're also trying to spread the fear that if people try to buy through Amazon or Parcel Motel etc, they're going to get prosecuted. You also claim that Revenue will be keeping an eye on those who do it repeatedly.

When pushed for evidence, all you've managed to provide is the Revenue annual report that lists prosecutions for "Alcohol Tax Evasion". There's nothing to specify that these are individuals, or that they are repeat offenders.

Obviously it's buyer beware, but, frankly, you're talking absolute ****e and you know it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can we please get back on topic and stop discussing import duties and which postal firm is best?
    Frankly I couldn't give a toss which of you is more correct!

It gets seized, and the purchaser cannot just pay the duty despite what you think
    That paragraph was about movement in the customs zones. Not importing. You are confusing the two.

And you are misinterpreting the Revenue site, badly.
    The irony there is pretty funny.
    Ok, I'll humour you. How am I misinterpreting this;
    A Revenue Guide to Importing Goods through the Post

Import charges may comprise of Customs Duty, Excise Duty and VAT. Occasionally Anti-Dumping Duty and/or Countervailing Duty are also imposed

How do I pay the relevant charges?
    An Post will attach a Customs Docket, similar to that shown below, to your package with details of the amount of import charges owing. You will need to pay this amount to An Post before they will release your package to you.
    import duties.

excise duties are a different thing

Import charges includes excise, vat (see above)

kbannon wrote: »
    Can we please get back on topic and stop discussing import duties and which postal firm is best?
    Frankly I couldn't give a toss which of you is more correct!
    I'd have thought it was on topic consider plenty are purchasing online.
    But happy to drop it. I don't particularly care tbh. It's duty free for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I'd have thought it was on topic consider plenty are purchasing online.
    But happy to drop it. I don't particularly care tbh. It's duty free for me ;)

Its completely off topic. Im not a mod but this thread is about discussing whiskey in general, Not importing it. Theres a whole forum dedicated to taxation as well as online buying and auctions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:I'm sure there's a customs & excise forum, and I know there's definitely a legal discussion forum, so please take any discussion about importing whiskey elsewhere and leave this thread to its intended purpose.

And above all, please be civil :)

Off topic (allegedly) debate stops. People feel the need to continue to get involved. Strange.

Auchentoshan tonight for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've been at the Kavalan Sherry Oak this week (courtesy of MoM, enough said) and it's very much to my taste, very fruity and spicy. Thanks to EagererBeaver who put the idea of drinking Taiwanese whisky into my head some way back in the thread.

• Advertisement

I've been at the Kavalan Sherry Oak this week (courtesy of MoM, enough said) and it's very much to my taste, very fruity and spicy. Thanks to EagererBeaver who put the idea of drinking Taiwanese whisky into my head some way back in the thread.
    Never considered Taiwanese. Off to Indonesia next week might have a look out for it.
    I'm expecting the local stuff to be awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Never considered Taiwanese. Off to Indonesia next week might have a look out for it.
    I'm expecting the local stuff to be awful.

They seem to have two in Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

On the hot whiskeys using paddy, finally found a use for the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

RasTa wrote: »
    On the hot whiskeys using paddy, finally found a use for the stuff.

Could also throw it into the xmas pud :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

limnam wrote: »

Or the bin

Or unwanted guests

Or in the garden to stop cats pissing there

On topic, opened a bottle of Hakushu single malt last night...very enjoyable indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or the bin

Or unwanted guests

On topic, opened a bottle of Hakushu single malt last night...very enjoyable indeed

Nonsense.
    Paddy really doesn't deserve the bad reputation that it has. It's fine. Just as Jameson is fine.

Serious question : when did you last taste Paddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

limnam wrote: »

Half the bottle already is

Or the bin

Or unwanted guests

Nonsense.
    Paddy really doesn't deserve the bad reputation that it has. It's fine. Just as Jameson is fine.

Why is it nonsense?! You were raving a couple of weeks ago about there being no right and wrong. Someone states an opinion, their own personal opinion and you can't wait to have a moan about it ffs.

Nonsense.

I've never liked it, got rid of the last of it 12 months ago, Jameson at approx the same price point is far superior...€20 a bottle or, €27 for crested ten at the moment in a major store...but sorry, Paddy just tastes vile to me..... different strokes for different folks of course, you're as entitled to like it as much as I'm entitled to dislike it :)

• Advertisement

Why is it nonsense?! You were raving a couple of weeks ago about there being no right and wrong. Someone states an opinion, their own personal opinion and you can't wait to have a moan about it ffs.

It's nonsense because the poster didn't express a like or dislike for the product.
    They went on an over the top tirade about how it's only fit for the bin or for scaring cats.
    Ridiculous.
    I don't particularly like Paddy but the way people go on about it is ridiculous.
    That is, of course, just my opinion, don't you know!

It's nonsense because the poster didn't express a like or dislike for the product.
    They went on an over the top tirade about how it's only fit for the bin or for scaring cats.
    Ridiculous.
    I don't particularly like Paddy but the way people go on about it is ridiculous.

Edit...I think my post was quite clear in in my dislike for Paddy tbf

I've stated before my dislike for it, don't have to qualify every Paddy Post with the fact I am not a fan do I?... As I said... Jameson at the same price point is much superior...and to be fair... Paddy is accepted to be the weakest of the inexpensive 3.
    No need to be so aggressive or argumentative about my opinion...

Edit...I think my post was quite clear in in my dislike for Paddy tbf

I've stated before my dislike for it, don't have to qualify every Paddy Post with the fact I am not a fan do I?... As I said... Jameson at the same price point is much superior...and to be fair... Paddy is accepted to be the weakest of the inexpensive 3.
    No need to be so aggressive or argumentative about my opinion...

Yes it was quite clear and obvious.
    There is certainly a degree of aggression and argumentativeness going on here.
    Let's just move on, shall we?

Yes it was quite clear and obvious.
    There is certainly a degree of aggression and argumentativeness going on here.
    Let's just move on, shall we?

Only by you :D
    But yes indeed, no issues hug it out and an aberlour batch 55 on the way to your good self by way of apology

Ridiculous.

A tirade ffs. It was clearly tongue in cheek. It called hyperbole. I can only imagine how you'd have reacted if he said he was going out for a pint of Guinness after his post.

. I can only imagine how you'd have reacted if he said he was going out for a pint of Guinness after his post.

I had a pint of Beamish last night in a pub with several craft options. Bet you didn't imagine that!
    I couldn't give a flying **** to tell the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

I've stated before my dislike for it, don't have to qualify every Paddy Post with the fact I am not a fan do I?...

Will considering how you keep rereging under different (mildly offensive) usernames every few months, I wouldn't blame anyone for not being able to keep up!

Firbolg wrote: »
    Will considering how you keep rereging under different (mildly offensive) usernames every few months, I wouldn't blame anyone for not being able to keep up!

:D

https://youtu.be/J6jAdv14W-M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can everybody please calm down! Remember, attack the post, not the poster!!!

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So I bought my Xmas goodies today in OBriens. Not a plug for them but a nice sale on right now.

ps .. Drinking the Cardhu right now and I'm loving it. Sweet, smooth as **** and slightly peaty. I'd never heard of it if I'm honest but took the advice from the guy behind the counter to try it. Not disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Got a bottle of Redbreast myself on the strength of a few suggestions here. What's the best way to drink it? Neat water ice or what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement