Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Got a bottle of Redbreast myself on the strength of a few suggestions here. What's the best way to drink it? Neat water ice or what?

Well it's all subjective really but a tablespoon of water to loosen it up in a Glencairn glass is how I drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Got a bottle of Redbreast myself on the strength of a few suggestions here. What's the best way to drink it? Neat water ice or what?

Ice. Shudder.

Seriously though as with any drink ice will completely dull the flavour.

Why do you think bud and coors want you to drink their beer ICE COLD.

Have you ever drank warm bud or warm Coke for that matter?

I know people will disagree but whiskey, in particular good whiskey should be drank with a wee drop of water to open it up. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Passenger wrote: »
    Well it's all subjective really but a tablespoon of water to loosen it up in a Glencairn glass is how I drink it.

Same here. I think it benefits greatly from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

Whatever you say Wang King! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You've got a whole bottle. Try it every way everyone has told you is the "right" way. Try it straight. Try it with a tiny drop of water. Try it with a bit more water. Try one cube of ice. Try three. Then tell us the best way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ice. Shudder.

Seriously though as with any drink ice will completely dull the flavour.

Why do you think bud and coors want you to drink their beer ICE COLD.

Have you ever drank warm bud or warm Coke for that matter?

I know people will disagree but whiskey, in particular good whiskey should be drank with a wee drop of water to open it up. Nothing more.
    The vast majority of lager should be drank cold though. Not just Bud/Coors. So that point makes little sense tbh.
    If anything it's a point against your "no ice" theory.

Some whiskeys work best neat, some on the rocks. Or even some in old fashioneds. Trying to insist that every whiskey is best the same way is a bit odd to me.

Mellor wrote: »
    The vast majority of lager should be drank cold though. Not just Bud/Coors. So that point makes little sense tbh.

Some whiskeys work best neat, some on the rocks. Or even some in old fashioneds. Trying to insist that every whiskey is best the same way is a bit odd to me.

Larger/Ale/Stout etc should be drank at 8 degrees actually or there and there abouts. This the temperature that the flavour is at its best. There's even an Irish brewery named 8 Degrees because of this fact.

Even if you do like your larger cold/cooler than 8 degrees there's a massive difference between cold/cool and Ice Cold as the likes of Coors and even Coca Cola market their horrible drinks. Essentially if it's cold enough you won't taste anything.

So in my opinion putting a block of ice into a whiskey is essentially numbing the flavour which just makes no sense if you enjoy the flavour of whiskey. You may as well drink paint stripper. Or at the very least I see no reason for you to buy an expensive whiskey full of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Ive nothing against a cube of ice in a glass of a standard Jameson, Powers, Johnnie Walker or whatever standard whiskey you're having yourself. They tend to be a little harsher and the ice tones down that harshness.

However, it just doesn't make sense to me to buy something more expensive, a good whiskey that will have a multitude of undertones, over notes, smoky or sweet smells, oily textures etc and to then muffle all of that with a load of ice. It amounts to a big waste of money, not to mention whiskey!

Then again there's no accounting for taste...

Ive nothing against a cube of ice in a glass of a standard Jameson, Powers, Johnnie Walker or whatever standard whiskey you're having yourself. They tend to be a little harsher and the ice tones down that harshness.

However, it just doesn't make sense to me to buy something more expensive, a good whiskey that will have a multitude of undertones, over notes, smoky or sweet smells, oily textures etc and to then muffle all of that with a load of ice. It amounts to a big waste of money, not to mention whiskey!

Then again there's no accounting for taste...

Lol you can do what you like with the likes of a standard bottle of powers or paddy. Personally I'll wouldn't be touching them as anything other than a hot whiskey or Irish coffee.

I'm talking about a decent bottle of whiskey. Why someone would put ice in say a glass of yellow spot for example is beyond me.

Larger/Ale/Stout etc should be drank at 8 degrees actually or there and there abouts. This the temperature that the flavour is at its best. There's even an Irish brewery named 8 Degrees because of this fact.
    Virtually every brewery Ive been to disagrees tbh.
    Different styles require different temperature. Light Lagers, Pilsners, Wheat beer, should be 3-6c, stouts and dark ales around 7-8, bad stuff like dobblebock and mead is practically warm. I'm sure the beer aficionados go into more detail.
    Even if you do like your larger cold/cooler than 8 degrees there's a massive difference between cold/cool and Ice Cold as the likes of Coors and even Coca Cola market their horrible drinks. Essentially if it's cold enough you won't taste anything.
    They use lots of ice and gimmicks on the ads. But they aren't actually "ice-cold". More like 4c which is warmer by the time your drinking it.
    so in my opinion putting a block of ice into a whiskey is essentially numbing the flavour which just makes no sense of you enjoy the flavour of whiskey. You may as well drink paint stripper. Or at the very least I see no reason for you to buy an expensive whiskey full of flavour.
    But the whole beer comparison is based on a misconception. That's my point. There isn't one perfect temp for beer. Nor is there one for wine for that matter.
    I just think it's a wrong to say every whiskey is best at room temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

8 Degrees in named after the degree of latitude that runs through the area so try again on that one.
    8 degrees c would be the very upper limit of suggested serving temperature for lager usually 4 - 6 is suggested.

Virtually every brewery Ive been to disagrees tbh.
    Different styles require different temperature. Light Lagers, Pilsners, Wheat beer, should be 3-6c, stouts and dark ales around 7-8, bad stuff like dobblebock and mead is practically warm. I'm sure the beer aficionados go into more detail.

They use lots of ice and gimmicks on the ads. But they aren't actually "ice-cold". More like 4c which is warmer by the time your drinking it.

But the whole beer comparison is based on a misconception. That's my point. There isn't one perfect temp for beer. Nor is there one for wine for that matter.
    I just think it's a wrong to say every whiskey is best at room temp.

You are 100% right. Every whiskey is not best at room temperature, only the good ones are.

Look, wine is not whiskey, and whiskey is not beer. Leaving those comparisons to the side for a moment, it is difficult to argue against the fact that ice does in fact deaden some of the flavour of a whiskey. That's not to say that a Midleton rare or a 50 year old Macallan won't taste nicer than a glass of Paddy if you smother them both with ice. Of course they will, but that is besides the point!

If you enjoy whiskey enough to purchase expensive bottles that have been distilled carefully and aged in a variety of barrels over 20 or thirty years then it just doesn't make sense to muffle that complexity, finish and flavour by adding ice. Of course if someone wants to do that then there nothing will stop them but they will not be able to appreciate the subtleties of taste that have been built up throughout the maturation process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Well I did as the beer revolution suggested and tried with both ice and water.
    Thought it was really good when I tried it with my first glass with a cube of ice. But far nicer with just a drop of water second time round.
    As a Jameson man I'm going to find it hard to come back to it seeing as I bought a bottle of 3 swallows and Glenmorangie 10 year old single Malt too.
    That Redbreast is different class there are so many different layers to it I never even imagined in a whiskey.

Well I did as the beer revolution suggested and tried with both ice and water.
    Thought it was really good when I tried it with my first glass with a cube of ice. But far nicer with just a drop of water second time round.
    As a Jameson man I'm going to find it hard to come back to it seeing as I bought a bottle of 3 swallows and Glenmorangie 10 year old single Malt too.
    That Redbreast is different class there are so many different layers to it I never even imagined in a whiskey.

Fair play to you, 4 whiskeys on a Sunday morning. That's dedication for ya!

Fair play to you, 4 whiskeys on a Sunday morning. That's dedication for ya!

Couldn't be facing the racket off the Rice Krispies stone cold sober.

Look, wine is not whiskey, and whiskey is not beer. Leaving those comparisons to the side for a moment,
    I'm not the one who brought up beer. That was suppose to prove room temp is best.
    it is difficult to argue against the fact that ice does in fact deaden some of the flavour of a whiskey. That's not to say that a Midleton rare or a 50 year old Macallan won't taste nicer than a glass of Paddy if you smother them both with ice. Of course they will, but that is besides the point!
    A Macallan 50 will taste better than paddy no matter what you to with them. It's not about Paddy vrs Macallan.
    It's about does a Whiskey X taste better neat, with Ice, or with water. I'm saying the answer varies with the whiskey. And it's not down to something as simple as age.

I agree that older whiskeys will tend to be less harsh and complex and in general better neat. But the very heavily peated stuff, is better with ice imo. As softening some of the smoke and letting the richness come through is a plus for me.

Maybe if I was drinking heavily peated whiskey that was also 50 years old i'd change my opinion. But realistically if I'm a buying a 50 year whiskey I'll be going for something more to my taste.

Tried the Hibiki 21 during the week. Was fantastic but a bit of of price range right now.

I've an auchentoshan 12yr "by the dram" here. Gonna give that a whirl tonight and maybe pick up a bottle at the airport on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Despite all if the above, I would suggest that you get a bottle of Jameson and get used to different ways of drinking it. Pick one that suits you. When you're comfortable with tour choice then look at drinking the Redbreast. Don't experiment blindly with something as good as Redbreast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

kbannon wrote: »
    Despite all if the above, I would suggest that you get a bottle of Jameson and get used to different ways of drinking it. Pick one that suits you. When you're comfortable with tour choice then look at drinking the Redbreast. Don't experiment blindly with something as good as Redbreast.

Redbreast is a good starting point for pot still whiskeys though. The 12 (which I assume it's what we're talking about here) is comparatively cheap that it's affordable to experiment a bit.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »

I actually like the Jamesons with ice, love it with Nashs red lemonade if out. Wouldnt be doing that to the Redbreast.
    I just never thought any more than whiskey is whiskey until I saw this thread. Still an absolute amateur but maybe now I'm hitting my mid 40s I'm beginning to enjoy the finer things and may yet end up a bit more rounded and seasoned myself.

Redbreast is a good starting point for pot still whiskeys though. The 12 (which I assume it's what we're talking about here) is comparatively cheap that it's affordable to experiment a bit.
    Yup 12 year. €58 would be near the top end of what I'd spend on a bottle.... what are lads spending here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yup 12 year. €58 would be near the top end of what I'd spend on a bottle.... what are lads spending here?

35 euro or less for a Jameson/ Midleton pot still taster of Redbreast , Green Spot, Powers Johns Lane and A barry Crockett. 4 by 50 ml. Great chance to Taste !

sceach16 wrote: »
    35 euro or less for a Jameson/ Midleton pot still taster of Redbreast , Green Spot, Powers Johns Lane and A barry Crockett. 4 by 50 ml. Great chance to Taste !

If you like the more sweet, Irish style of whiskey I'd recommend trying some Highland or Speyside Scottish whiskeys as they have a similar taste profile. Glenmorangie or Cragganmore are both lovely and well under €50.

For a more smokey, peaty flavour try Talisker from Skye. Some of the Islay whiskeys are lovely too but not all for the faint hearted! Lagavulin 16 is one of my favourites -probably around 60 euro, Ardbeg 10 also nice but a bit harsher. Some people love Laphroaig but it's too much for me, very intense, smokey flavour.

Cask strength Ardbeg Uigeadal is fantastic too but expensive and at over 55% needs some water to tone it down... Something to work up to!

sceach16 wrote: »

Where's That? Sounds like a good idea for a newcomer.

Used bring home some expensive stuff for the father when I worked up there, he always raved about Aberlour even though it wasn't the dearest. Is it rated? Haven't seen it for sale here neither.

Where's That? Sounds like a good idea for a newcomer.

Used bring home some expensive stuff for the father when I worked up there, he always raved about Aberlour even though it wasn't the dearest. Is it rated? Haven't seen it for sale here neither.

Should be able to pick them up in a lot of off-licenses coming up to christmas. Or in in Dublin, the Jameson shop or the whisky shop should have them. Online is an option too.

For my birthday a friend got me this Teeling set..

And mt girlfriend grabbed me the Jameson set randomly when she was at home. It's got the standard, black barrel, crested 10 and one other (maybe caskmates). This Single Pot Still set is very good.

I haven't actually opened any of mine. Don't want to ruin the nice set :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

That's a cracking set. Nice to get some of the Barry Crockett in it.

I'm changing things up tonight and going for some smoke with the Ardbeg 10.

I'd highly recommend Bushmills Black Bush as a starting point. Nice price point as well.

I'm currently finishing off a Laphroaig QA Cask. Not as nice as the standard 10 yr old. Theres better available for the price I paid.

As a Laphroaig fan should I go for Talisker 10 or Ardbeg 10.

Ardbeg. It's Islay too.

That's a cracking set. Nice to get some of the Barry Crockett in it.

I'm changing things up tonight and going for some smoke with the Ardbeg 10.

Yeah, I really want it to complete the collection. Although I know if I do, I'll just keep addign without drinking

I bought a friend of mine a bottle of Very Rare a few days ago to celebrate his firstborn kid. He's not really a whiskey drinker at all but family tradition. Have some awful visions of Coke and ginger ale getting fired into it over Christmas

• Advertisement

I bought a friend of mine a bottle of Very Rare a few days ago to celebrate his firstborn kid. He's not really a whiskey drinker at all but family tradition. Have some awful visions of Coke and ginger ale getting fired into it over Christmas

He might surprise you. Nice present to get in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

I bought a bottle of green spot chateau montelena for Christmas, €70 in Martins Fairview.
    I had a sample taste in the OL and thought it was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

A true friend would show him how to drink it - repeatedly...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

EagererBeaver... will you be my friend too....
    I'd promise to give a Very Rare a good home....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got some Dunnes vouchers - no, im not a train driver so they were at low less than 500! - actually quite poor value currently but got a RB12 and a Powers 3 Swallows with them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Jameson cakmates? Yes or no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

phobia2011 wrote: »

Depends...some like....some don't !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

phobia2011 wrote: »

It's going for less than 30 at the moment, it's worth that money alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Not sure if I should have posted a new thread so apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread, looking to buy someone a Christmas gift, around the €50 mark, what would be a good bottle to buy (Jameson/jd single Barrell etc), I know this person is usually a whiskey drinker

Hococop wrote: »
    Not sure if I should have posted a new thread so apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread, looking to buy someone a Christmas gift, around the €50 mark, what would be a good bottle to buy (Jameson/jd single Barrell etc), I know this person is usually a whiskey drinker

I'd say Cardhu, €45 in Tesco at the moment, very smooth and a nice caramel texture to it. Maybe Writers Tears, Teeling have a few at the price, Green Spot is about 55 at the moment...good enough choice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hococop wrote: »

Jameson Black Barrell only €30 in Tesco at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Quackster wrote: »
    Jameson Black Barrell only €30 in Tesco at the moment.

I've a bottle and a half of black barrel at home so hope they have some other nice deals. I'm doing my Christmas shopping tonight so I'll see if they've anything nice on offer whilst in there

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've bottle of Redbreast 15 lined up, and Jameson Caskmates for something a little less top-shelf but still delish (ie I'm more willing to share). My brother usually brings a scotch so we'll have to wait and see!

Twee. wrote: »
    I've bottle of Redbreast 15 lined up, and Jameson Caskmates for something a little less top-shelf but still delish (ie I'm more willing to share). My brother usually brings a scotch so we'll have to wait and see!

I have yet to taste 15yo...I always get the 12yo cask strength at the price...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I haven't had it either! Big fan of Redbreast Lustau, so looking forward to trying this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wasn't a huge fan of the 15 when I tasted it

The 15 is grand but as said above, the 12 cask strength is a better option at that price for me.

Twee. wrote: »
    I haven't had it either! Big fan of Redbreast Lustau, so looking forward to trying this one!

I do like the Lustau as well...but am going to try the new Green Spot Château Montenela...finished in zinfandel casks...had the chateau lavoille last year which was very tasty

Expecting a delivery of 10 samples later today. 3 Ardbeg, 3 Laphroaigs and 4 Nikka's can't wait!!!!

• Advertisement

Just got an early Christmas present, 12yr old Kilkerran from Cambeltown. 46% peated single malt.Beautiful bottle and great reviews online, looking forward to a taste test!
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glengyle/kilkerran-12-year-old-whisky/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement