Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got a bottle of Angels Envy Bourban last night, very smooth and enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Jameson cakmates? Yes or no ?

Try it, it's not a rediculasly priced whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Have a bottle of James Fox 135th anniversary Teeling single Cask as a present for christmas.
    Also have the usual RB 12yo Normal and Cask Strength, Nika from the Barrel, plus a bottle of The Chita from the suntory distillery that I picked up in theloop.

Merry Christmas to all. Don't Drink and Drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Outside of my mainstay Nikka WFTB a bottle of whiskey usually lasts two or thee years in my house . The bottle of green spot I bought three weeks ago is already half gone! Really like it.

Bought some Teeling at the same time and I just don’t care for it. Strange as it’s pretty much universally rated and should be to my taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

My bottle of Redbreast is Gone, really enjoyed it. Onto a bottle of 3 swallows tonight. Very underwhelmed. Had forgotten what I think of Powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Just got bottle this from the uk
    Speyside single malt
    Going compare to glenfiddich 12

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=7744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Difficult to say what it actually is, the older stuff was apparently Tamnavulin but there is no 12 year old Tamnavulin as it was closed then

LVMH are the big supplier of higher end Scotch for the German discounters but they don't have a Speyside distillery currently and feck knows if they kept stock from when they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Tonight it's a MVR 2016.

(Last yrs Xmas present)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Just got an early Christmas present, 12yr old Kilkerran from Cambeltown. 46% peated single malt.Beautiful bottle and great reviews online, looking forward to a taste test!
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glengyle/kilkerran-12-year-old-whisky/

One for my list, love a peated single malt and never came across this before. Ordered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

39269564071_8fb3f8f198_b.jpg

I love this Irish Whiskey Liquer from Muldoons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Just when you think you can't like RB 12yo anymore.

You open the cask strength.

Phenomenal

limnam wrote: »
    Just when you think you can't like RB 12yo anymore.

You open the cask strength.

Phenomenal

Enjoy.

Grrr. Stuck with 3 swallows here.

That good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Enjoy.

That good?

Had a bottle of the 3 swallows in my hand in Tesco today (35eur). Didn't bother with it as I got a bottle of Johns Lane from the missus. Obsiovuly the Johns lane would be better but is the 3 swallows any good? It must be the cheapest Single Pot still for sale.

Enjoy.

That good?

Really good, everything you like about the 12YO amplified.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Had a bottle of the 3 swallows in my hand in Tesco today (35eur). Didn't bother with it as I got a bottle of Johns Lane from the missus. Obsiovuly the Johns lane would be better but is the 3 swallows any good? It must be the cheapest Single Pot still for sale.

I'm a big fan of John's lane but I really enjoyed the 3 swallows.

black barrel and 3 swallows are a steal at that price IMO

Hogzy wrote: »

I'm by no means a seasoned whiskey drinker, but I'm not its biggest fan. That said, I'm not giving it to charity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some gifts from the family.

Sister:
    xoXveuSl.jpg
    Brother:
    sCIQ7aKl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Some gifts from the family.

Sister:
    xoXveuSl.jpg
    Brother:
    sCIQ7aKl.jpg
    Nice! I've not tried any of the Japanese whiskeys yet. Theyre definitely on my list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I always recommend Nikka from the barrel to start with, it's like my favourite whiskey at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Nikka's Coffey Grain and Coffey Malt are also excellent.

• Advertisement

Big red fella dropped in a RB21YO in the new box :D

437084.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/image/cache/Irish%20Whiskey/Teeling-Revival-IV-776x1176.jpg

Given this as a pressie.... will try it out during the Munster V Leinster game later this afternoon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/image/cache/Irish%20Whiskey/Teeling-Revival-IV-776x1176.jpg

Given this as a pressie.... will try it out during the Munster V Leinster game later this afternoon :)

Snap!

I had some last night. Really like it. I still have a bottle of the 21year old revival Teeling, but I think this one is nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Cracked open the Jameson crested, so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

nkav86 wrote: »
    Cracked open the Jameson crested, so good

Not the whiskey it used to be at all.

Opened my first bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr. V tasty and smooth as you like. Far better than Woodford...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Drinking Bullelit bourbon now, like the contrast between that and the smoother Irish whiskies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

was lucky enough to be able to crack open 3 great bottles over the holidays.
    Redbreast 15yo.... Great whiskey, but when tasted alongside the RB 12 yo that I had open, I think I prefer the 12yo.
    Green Spot...not first time having it, this really is a smashing whiskey
    Midleton 2017 - Smooth as ... and a really nice drop, but I dunno, at the price its a little bit of a let down, its great packaging and glad I bought it (used some Dunnes vouchers to take edge off the cost)  but I think 3 bottles of RB 12 would be better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

I am content with my Tullamore Dew just now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Got a sample set for Xmas with miniatures.

Had a famous grouse the other day, not into pleated whisky yet and ti's was a nice gentle intro. Peaty without being overpowering, struggle to discern and describable flavour profiles.

Also in the set is a Jim beam bourbon, not very smooth, sweet enough and not really to my taste.

Black grouse up next, which I have read is slightly more smoky than the famous grouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Trond wrote: »
    Opened my first bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr. V tasty and smooth as you like. Far better than Woodford...

I liked certain qualities but found the finish on it watery. I want to try Sazerac Rye and Four roses single barrel.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I liked certain qualities but found the finish on it watery. I want to try Sazerac Rye and Four roses single barrel.

My next purchase as well......

I really liked the Eagle Rare I must say. Its v highly rated by all accounts. How did you drink it? Id mine mostly neat....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭julio arca

Not a whiskey, but I was gifted a bottle of Hennessy XO cognac for Christmas which retails at circa €140 which I will never ever open. If anybody would like to take it off my hands for a reasonable offer please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Was just gifted a bottle of Chita Suntori Whiskey from a Japanese work colleague who was home for the new year. Never tried a Japanese whiskey and might be a basic one at that but a lovely surprise and look forward to sampling tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I bought this for a relative - is it a decent whiskey? I've no idea about them:

61DS2kF4dXL._SX466_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I bought this for a relative - is it a decent whiskey? I've no idea about them:

Great sampler set
    Its lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just picked up a bottle of midleton 2016 for 120 euro on Irish ferries.
    Absolute bargain.
    My bottle of Green spot is nearly finished so should make a nice replacement

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just picked up a bottle of midleton 2016 for 120 euro on Irish ferries.
    Absolute bargain.
    My bottle of Green spot is nearly finished so should make a nice replacement

Pro tip, get the club class (or whatever it's called) for an extra discount :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

First day back after Christmas and find a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select on my desk from my boss.
    I'm only here a little while, so was unexpected. It's not something I'd have picked for myself, but I'll gladly give it a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Mellor wrote: »
    First day back after Christmas and find a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select on my desk from my boss.
    I'm only here a little while, so was unexpected. It's not something I'd have picked for myself, but I'll gladly give it a spin

I wish! My boss gave me a box of chocs.

• Advertisement

Had the pleasure of trying Ardbeg 10yr, Corryvreckan and Uigeadail in one sitting last night.

The 10yr is very good but the other 2 are on a different planet. The Corryvreckan in particular is phenomenal.

My next duty free purchase for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Trond wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of trying Ardbeg 10yr, Corryvreckan and Uigeadail in one sitting last night.

The 10yr is very good but the other 2 are on a different planet. The Corryvreckan in particular is phenomenal.

My next duty free purchase for sure....

Yeah I'm a big fan of the Uigeadal. They're not for the faint hearted though! I got myself a nice bottle of Lagavulin 16 while coming back from the UK. So much cheaper there, €50 Vs €80 here.

Anyone tried the Lagavulin 8yr.? I thought it was phenomenal. It's heavily pleated, I mean like seriously so. I think I preferred it to the 16yr. Sacrilege I know!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anybody have this?

I'm thinking about treating myself

51mkpjdLrYL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

RasTa wrote: »
    Anybody have this?

I'm thinking about treating myself

img]

You need to re-visit that link! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

My father has a bottle of the Midelton Rare that he got 10-15 years ago and my brother is always encouraging him to open it at Christmas or on birthdays when we're all together. His 40th birthday is coming up and I think he'd like it if I were to give him a bottle of Midleton rare himself.

Does anyone know when the 2018 version will be released? How old is it when they release it? 2017 is out there to buy now but I think giving him a bottle labelled on the same year he's 40 might make more of the occasion.

Also, with the vintage whiskey, what happens when you open the bottle? Like do you need to drink it within a timeframe after that before it goes off or will it stay ok over time?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

John_Mc wrote: »
    My father has a bottle of the Midelton Rare that he got 10-15 years ago and my brother is always encouraging him to open it at Christmas or on birthdays when we're all together. His 40th birthday is coming up and I think he'd like it if I were to give him a bottle of Midleton rare himself.

Does anyone know when the 2018 version will be released? How old is it when they release it? 2017 is out there to buy now but I think giving him a bottle labelled on the same year he's 40 might make more of the occasion.

Also, with the vintage whiskey, what happens when you open the bottle? Like do you need to drink it within a timeframe after that before it goes off or will it stay ok over time?

Thanks
    The 2017 was only released in the Autumn of 2017. Its an irritating thing for those with Birthdays in the first 8/9 months of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bottle will keep fine, long term, once opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That's great, thanks to both of you for the help. Any idea how long it would have been casked though? Like how old would the 2018 be when released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

John_Mc wrote: »
    That's great, thanks to both of you for the help. Any idea how long it would have been casked though? Like how old would the 2018 be when released?
    It's a non-vintage whiskey. But probably a blend of 12-20 year old casks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement