Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Squatter wrote: »
    Just wandering around the Amazon.uk site when I spotted this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7I63MM/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

it seems just a tiny bit overpriced!

Well he won't ship to Ireland and I'm not spending 3.50 on parcel hotel. He can keep it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

Did anybody had this here:

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Glendalough-13-Year-Old-Mizunara?search=Glendalough%20

Looks very interesting, I usually follow up on new releases but i only came across this release yesterday. Price is a tad high but I might order a sample before I commit to it.

Where would one order a sample of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

slfcarro5 wrote: »

Master of Malt to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

slfcarro5 wrote: »

Or alternatively you can order it from here, they send you a very generous 10cl sample, better price/volume ratio:

http://shop.limited-whisky.de/epages/17961557.mobile/de_DE/?ObjectID=18085821

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Having enjoyed a Laphroaig 10 over the past few months (nice contrast to the redbreast, three swallows etc), I bought a kilchoman machir bay in marks and spencer up north over the weekend as a replacement

From a little bit of reading around, it has been well received - first new islay opening in quite some time I believe.

It's a very tasty drop.

Peaty but smooth.

20%off makes it even better - £32 all in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Drinking a bunnahabhain 12 at the moment, really liking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jester77 wrote: »
    Drinking a bunnahabhain 12 at the moment, really liking it

before 9 am.....
    you might need to talk to someone about that ;)

joking aside, enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

G rock wrote: »
    Having enjoyed a Laphroaig 10 over the past few months (nice contrast to the redbreast, three swallows etc), I bought a kilchoman machir bay in marks and spencer up north over the weekend as a replacement

From a little bit of reading around, it has been well received - first new islay opening in quite some time I believe.

It's a very tasty drop.

Peaty but smooth.

20%off makes it even better - £32 all in!

I grabbed one too, the offers in m&s are too good to miss at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AdamDoyle

I just finished off a bottle of Knappogue Castle 1995 last night, absolutely cracking whiskey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Getting to like bourbon after buying a bottle of Bullelit at Christmas.

Looking to buy some Woodford Reserve but in the meantime decided to chance some cheaper everyday stuff. Bought some of Aldi's Clarke's bourbon for €13.99 today, seems suspiciously cheap. Some decent reviews online, must compare it to Bullelit later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Getting to like bourbon after buying a bottle of Bullelit at Christmas.

Looking to buy some Woodford Reserve but in the meantime decided to chance some cheaper everyday stuff. Bought some of Aldi's Clarke's bourbon for €13.99 today, seems suspiciously cheap. Some decent reviews online, must compare it to Bullelit later.

Try the Jefferson Small Batch Bourbon - they had it on sale around Christmas - bought it ... Good stuff imo.

gozunda wrote: »
    Try the Jefferson Small Batch Bourbon - they had it on sale around Christmas - bought it ... Good stuff imo.

Didn't see it in my local one today but will keep an eye out.

I'm no professional taster but I've just compared Bullelit with the Clarke's.

The smell is much deeper on the Bullelit, not getting much off the Clarke's.

In terms of taste Clarke's feels thinner than the other but the aftertaste is pretty good on both. Clarke's is growing on me though.

Overall Bullelit is the superior one and I love the smell of it. However Clarke's is not bad at all in my book for €13.99 (currently reduced by 50 cent or a euro). Bullelit set me back €35 in Tesco on special offer before Christmas. Would buy Clarke's again as an everyday drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I'm no professional taster but I've just compared Bullelit with the Clarke's.

The smell is much deeper on the Bullelit, not getting much off the Clarke's.

In terms of taste Clarke's feels thinner than the other but the aftertaste is pretty good on both. Clarke's is growing on me though.

Overall Bullelit is the superior one and I love the smell of it. However Clarke's is not bad at all in my book for €13.99 (currently reduced by 50 cent or a euro). Bullelit set me back €35 in Tesco on special offer before Christmas. Would buy Clarke's again as an everyday drink.
    Similar. Far from expert, but found Clarkes very nice and at that price a great everyday drink or if you want to throw in a mixer for a cold one. Woodford Reserve is great and also really like Buffalo Trace, which was recently on offer in Dunnes for around €36 but that may have ended by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭FlicFlak

So, i just opened a bottle of the West Cork Glengarriff Bog Oak Cask.
    Not the most exciting whiskey, but definitely nice for 40 quid. The bog oak definitely makes a difference but it would be much nicer if was an older whiskey. Not only will i finish the bottle, i'll buy another one aswell!

Glengarriff_Bog_Oak_Charred-776x1176.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Was in work today (my day off) for a meeting, so since I was here anyway, I'm treating myself to a Nikka From The Barrel. My favourite of the three Nikkas we have in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭FlicFlak

This week i just opened the West Cork Glengarriff peated Cask. I finished the West Cork Glengarriff Bog Oak Cask so had to try this!!
    Its actually really nice, very sweet, a little malty and only a hint of peat. Will definitely be getting more of this!

Glengarriff_Peat_Charred-776x1176.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

try a whisky with a drop of snow. Great stuff

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

brokenarms wrote: »

Wouldn't that make yellow snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

kbannon wrote: »
    brokenarms wrote: »

Wouldn't that make yellow snow?
    You're not supposed to eat it. Nobody ever did anything about drinking it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jeez that's some dimple in the bottom of those West Cork bottles. I mean everyone knows that a bottle of whiskey is 700mL so what's the point of trying to make your bottle look bigger than the competition?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What is it similar to? Distinct tasting notes?

Glendalough 13 Year Old Mizunara finish, it's unlike any other Irish whiskey I've had.

Tasting notes: Rich dark chocolate, coffee, coconut,dark fruits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

i'm planning on making a run up north to stock up on redbreast, will definite hit sainsurys newry.. any other options.. suggestions ? as to what else to pick up ??

It'll be a one day run, straight up and down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Picked up a litre bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked in T2 last week, then on the way back, a litre bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black, in Geneva.

Haven't tried the WR yet, but am a big fan of their standard bottling.
    I had a glass of the JW, and was quite impressed, Smooth and Smokey, easy to drink. A satisfying drop (especially for 36euro for a litre!). I'd prefer it to the Bowmore 12, which I didn't really warm too, but obviously, it's a different shelf to the Ardbegs and Laphroaigs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

36 a litre for duty-free Double Black isn't as great a deal as it sounds, I've seen it as low as 2 for 40 before (actual duty free, but CH->IE is).

Swiss duty frees seem to be cheap for gin, vaguely cheap for smokes and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

L1011 wrote: »
    36 a litre for duty-free Double Black isn't as great a deal as it sounds, I've seen it as low as 2 for 40 before (actual duty free, but CH->IE is).

Swiss duty frees seem to be cheap for gin, vaguely cheap for smokes and nothing else.

Awww.. bubble = burst :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was at the Celtic Whiskey Shop tasting last night . From memory:

1. Method and Madness Batch 1
    2. Method and Madness Batch 2
    3. Powers 16 year old single cask
    4. Middleton Very Rare 2017
    5. Middleton Barry Crockett Legacy
    6. Middleton Cask Strength Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest
    7. Middleton Cask Strength Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest (same whiskey but aged in wood from a different tree)
    8. Red Breast Single Cask

Some great Whiskies that I'd never normally get to try as I'd never drop that sort of cash on a single bottle!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I was at the Celtic Whiskey Shop tasting last night . From memory:

1. Method and Madness Batch 1
    2. Method and Madness Batch 2
    3. Powers 16 year old single cask
    4. Middleton Very Rare 2017
    5. Middleton Barry Crockett Legacy
    6. Middleton Cask Strength Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest
    7. Middleton Cask Strength Midleton Dair Ghaelach Bluebell Forest (same whiskey but aged in wood from a different tree)
    8. Red Breast Single Cask

Some great Whiskies that I'd never normally get to try as I'd never drop that sort of cash on a single bottle!

Verdict, what were your favourites? what was best bang for your buck?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well 6 and 7 were very interesting in that they should taste very, very similar but were completely different (same comment relates to 1 and 2 actually).

I loved the Red Breast and it was probably my favorite but I love RB in general. I think the Middleton VR in general is overpriced for what you get, I don't think its worth €180. The Barry Crockett is very tasty, and very drinkable, could drink that all night :)

Most of these bottles cost from €200 upwards which is a bit rich for my tastes but certainly all worth a taste if you get the opportunity to try them.

The cost of the event was €33 which I think is very good value for what you get to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

finished powers black label bottle.

Very very tempted to get another bottle before i bother moving on to green spot or 12 year old red breast.

Loved the black label. New favourite

• Advertisement

Well 6 and 7 were very interesting in that they should taste very, very similar but were completely different (same comment relates to 1 and 2 actually).

I loved the Red Breast and it was probably my favorite but I love RB in general. I think the Middleton VR in general is overpriced for what you get, I don't think its worth €180. The Barry Crockett is very tasty, and very drinkable, could drink that all night :)

Most of these bottles cost from €200 upwards which is a bit rich for my tastes but certainly all worth a taste if you get the opportunity to try them.

The cost of the event was €33 which I think is very good value for what you get to try.

I have looked up a lot of reviews and I'm just not tempted to pay over the odds for Redbreast 21 when I can get the 12 cask strength. The Dair Gealach is out of my price range. Barry Crockett could be doable but I am just not certain that it would be worth it either....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sounds like a good tasting all right.
    I have had most of them apart from the Bluebell forest ones and I'd agree that the Barry Crockett is amazing.
    Did a tasting of RB including some of the single casks before too and they are out of this world, but you'd be looking at 400 a bottle for them.

On the Method and Madness I know what you mean, I've both at home, (think they are 69 retail when released) but it's like a totally different whiskey. Batch one is a lot more edgy, a bit sharper and less rounded. While batch 2 is a more tamed down version.

I have looked up a lot of reviews and I'm just not tempted to pay over the odds for Redbreast 21 when I can get the 12 cask strength. The Dair Gealach is out of my price range. Barry Crockett could be doable but I am just not certain that it would be worth it either....

Have you tried the 21 Vs 12 CS?

12 CS is amazing, but 21 is worth it IMO.
    Shop around, they can be got much cheaper if your travelling

finished powers black label bottle.

Very very tempted to get another bottle before i bother moving on to green spot or 12 year old red breast.

Loved the black label. New favourite

Do you have a link for this one?
    Is it the 12 special reserve by any chance, that's tough to get hold as it's not produced any longer.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this one?
    Is it the 12 special reserve by any chance, that's tough to get hold as it's not produced any longer.

I am tempted but just considering the ratings are pretty close between the two and price value difference hmmmm I would love to try it though.

Yeah for me these are all great to taste at events like this or Whiskey live but I think a bottle for €90 or whaatever is a great whiskey and spending 3 or 4 times that doesn't get a whiskey 3 or 4 times as good.

I mean I love the Barry Crockett, but if I'd €250 to spend on Whiskey I'd spend it on 2 or 3 excellent bottles of a slightly cheaper drop.

Yeah for me these are all great to taste at events like this or Whiskey live but I think a bottle for €90 or whaatever is a great whiskey and spending 3 or 4 times that doesn't get a whiskey 3 or 4 times as good.

I mean I love the Barry Crockett, but if I'd €250 to spend on Whiskey I'd spend it on 2 or 3 excellent bottles of a slightly cheaper drop.

Yea RB cask strength, Glendalough Mizuara 13, Tyrconnell 16 all spring to mind as cheaper great whiskies. I tried a Dair Ghealach recently and enjoyed it, nice to try at any rate.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The set of Irish Distillers miniatures is a great way of sampling Middleton Barry Crockett without splashing out for a whole bottle.

Four 50ml bottles of Barry Crockett, Powers John's Lane, RB 12 and Green Spot. Paid €30 for it in Dunnes I think the last time I picked one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I realised I had the end of a bottle of RB12 and a full new bottle awaiting opening next weekend (no Scotch* shall pass my lips that weekend). So that, until its gone.

*or American or Japanese, don't have anything else in the cupboard

Mellor, a mate of mine has just had his first kid out in Australia and want to get him a bottle of Very Rare. Any idea what the best way to do it would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor, a mate of mine has just had his first kid out in Australia and want to get him a bottle of Very Rare. Any idea what the best way to do it would be?

Master of Malt would be $200+$40 or so shipping.
    Buying it locally would probably be $250 free shipping.

https://www.nicks.com.au/midleton-very-rare-irish-whiskey-700ml

Mellor wrote: »

Master of Malt would be $200+$40 or so shipping.
    Buying it locally would probably be $250 free shipping.

https://www.nicks.com.au/midleton-very-rare-irish-whiskey-700ml
    Cheers, $250 was the best I could find as well. Any idea if there'd be taxes/import costs associated with ordering it from MoM or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Laphroaig.... breakfast...it's going to be a long day lads!

Quackster wrote: »
    The set of Irish Distillers miniatures is a great way of sampling Middleton Barry Crockett without splashing out for a whole bottle.

Four 50ml bottles of Barry Crockett, Powers John's Lane, RB 12 and Green Spot. Paid €30 for it in Dunnes I think the last time I picked one up.

Good call actually, must pick one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Anyone know if they have these at Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Anyone know if they have these at Dublin Airport?

I thought I saw them last time I was there, not much cheaper though if at all. Their prices are really ridiculous anyways can’t remember the last time I bought something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I thought I saw them last time I was there, not much cheaper though if at all. Their prices are really ridiculous anyways can’t remember the last time I bought something there.

I'll be travelling outside the EU next week - prices aren't too bad on some items duty free. It'd be a nice thing to pick up as a gift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Finished off a RB 21yo.

The good news is I got one over xmas to open :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting set... anyone seen this recently in Dunnes, or about Dublin?
    Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

odyssey06 wrote:
    Interesting set... anyone seen this recently in Dunnes, or about Dublin? Cheers.

You'll get them in town in the Celtic Whiskey Shop, James Fox or L Mulligans. When I bought them they were €38.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement