Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Love the idea of the Redbreast 32 but a 500ml bottle a bit tight. Just not a thing in this part of the world.

But of bad news for any Japanese whisky lovers:

Whisky lovers may hit the rocks as Japanese producer runs dry

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/16/whisky-lovers-may-hit-the-rocks-as-japanese-producer-suntory-runs-dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/16/whisky-lovers-may-hit-the-rocks-as-japanese-producer-suntory-runs-dry

I just pulled the trigger on Hakushu 12-year-old because Hibiki 17 is gone almost everywhere in reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Couple of drams of Woodford Reserve Double Oak last night.

Bourbon is so different to Irish and Scotch, so I have to be in the mood for it. But this is a very tasty whiskey. I'm a fan of regular Woodford, but you can really taste the double oak effect in this one.

Greg81 wrote: »

I just pulled the trigger on Hakushu 12-year-old because Hibiki 17 is gone almost everywhere in reasonable price.
    Love the Hakushu.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Where did you pick that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Where did you pick that up?

I got it from Hedonism Wines (bought online) They are based in London. But it is sold out already there.

https://hedonism.co.uk/product#!/hakushu-12yo

Same on The Whisky Exchange. They had it available 3 hrs ago.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2922/suntory-hakushu-12-year-old

EDIT:

They have it available in Poland

http://whiskyhouseshop.com/product-eng-7142-Hakushu-Malt-12-letni-Suntory-43-0-7l.html

Not sure if they deliver to Ireland but you can try to drop them a line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bougth a bottle of that last week for a mate who helped me put down a wooden floor. Might have to get myself one too

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

I've had a few pours of Bullet bourbon the last few weekends, I'm not into whisky in a big way but it's nice and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Ended up working all day even though it's my day off so trying out a Hibiki Harmony. (there's a pattern forming here! 😂)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Powers John's lane tonight, first time trying this, heard good things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

nkav86 wrote: »

I have a bottle in my backpack right at this very moment. I'll try it this evening.

I have a bottle in my backpack right at this very moment. I'll try it this evening.

Great minds!!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

nkav86 wrote: »

Don't think you'll be disappointed!

The booklet thing is a nice touch

They have generated a good bit of interest in it.
    But there will be just over 800 bottles @€;500 for 500ml
    Not a lot of people have 500 quid to drop on a bottle like this, so it's tough to know
    Likely the majority will be bought as an investment.

I don't see them selling out straight away, but will go quick enough imo...

(Redbreast Dream Cask)

All sold out now, went on sale @4pm
    Quicker than I expected!

Lots of people buying multilpes I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

(Redbreast Dream Cask)

All sold out now, went on sale @4pm
    Quicker than I expected!

Lots of people buying multilpes I'd say.

I was looking forward to it since they announced the sale date, have to say the price of €500 for a 500ml bottle through me a bit.
    Was still tempted but glad I didn't pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

picked up 2 bottles of paddy gold label, 20 euro each. tesco kerry. bargain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

picked up 2 bottles of paddy gold label, 20 euro each. tesco kerry. bargain
    Paddy Gold Label or Powers Gold Label?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Paddy Gold Label or Powers Gold Label?

Powers Gold Label is €20 in Tesco at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Have Aldi always stocked the one liter bottle of Scotch for €18 odd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Powers Gold Label is €20 in Tesco at the moment.

Be mad not to pick up a bottle. So I did.

Also - Supervalu are doing Bushmills for €20 this weekend. Granted, Tesco have it permanently on offer for €21, but a euro is a euro!

2 excellent standard expressions at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I love Jack Daniel’s Old No.7 Tennessee Whiskey. If you prefer something a little sweeter, then perhaps the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey would be a better option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CastielJ wrote: »
    I love Jack Daniel’s Old No.7 Tennessee Whiskey. If you prefer something a little sweeter, then perhaps the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey would be a better option for you.

Except that wouldn't be whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have been humming and hawwing for a long time about buying a bottle of Bruichladdich Octomore. Finally got a chance to try a dram in London Monday and........while it's nice an'all, it just didn't seem as peaty as my fave 'big peat' Laphroaig 10, so it'll be 3 or 4 bottles of that instead for about the same price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I haven't found anything much bigger than Laphroaig 10. I would rate Laphroaig > Ardbeg > Lagavulin > Talisker > Bowmore or something like that. I love to add a drop to a neutral Irish whiskey like Bushmills.

Speaking of, Connemara are on a decent sale for €34 at O'Briens.

• Advertisement

Have been humming and hawwing for a long time about buying a bottle of Bruichladdich Octomore. Finally got a chance to try a dram in London Monday and........while it's nice an'all, it just didn't seem as peaty as my fave 'big peat' Laphroaig 10, so it'll be 3 or 4 bottles of that instead for about the same price!

I thought the Octomore was a huge hitter on the peat scale? Not had it myself, but must get to try a dram.
    Have the Laphroaig at home and do like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see Black's of Kinsale are releasing a 12 YO single malt.

I see Black's of Kinsale are releasing a 12 YO single malt.

Yeah, seen that on social media yesterday.

Looks like there'll be less and less of that type of release coming...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/industry-veteran-warns-of-possible-irish-whiskey-drought-1.3519154

I thought the Octomore was a huge hitter on the peat scale? Not had it myself, but must get to try a dram.

I've gone through 3 bottles of Laphroig in the past 5 or 6 years and I'll say that each one tastes less peatier than the last. I dont know if that's my palate or laphroig 'rushing' to meet the really big whisky demand right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 10 can't really be rushed; the QA/QC and other similar releases are very young though

The peat element of the flavour should really be from the distillation not the aging though

• Advertisement

Yeah, 'technically' the Octomore is like 4 times peatier or something, but it doesn't come across in the glass. Definitely peaty, but missing that medicinal bite of the L10.

A good tip I saw to help with the flavour; a year in the cask a minute in the glass.

So for a 10y I'd pour it out. Stick a saucer over the glass and leave it for 10 minutes. It really has a punch when you finally get your nose into that glass.

It is hard waiting though! :)

L1011 wrote: »
    The 10 can't really be rushed; the QA/QC and other similar releases are very young though

The peat element of the flavour should really be from the distillation not the aging though
    Huh? The peatiness is determined by whether/how long the malt is smoked for, not the distillation process.

Huh? The peatiness is determined by whether/how long the malt is smoked for, not the distillation process.

I think he means that the level of smoke is determined by the time the spirit is barrelled and aged. But technically yeah, it's prior to distillation rather than during.

Mellor wrote: »

I think he means that the level of smoke is determined by the time the spirit is barrelled and aged. But technically yeah, it's prior to distillation rather than during.

Possibly. No "technically" about it though. Distillation is a very clear, defined process like, not "everything before it goes in the cask".

Possibly. No "technically" about it though. Distillation is a very clear, defined process like, not "everything before it goes in the cask".

Distillation is usually accepted to mean the entire process until cask. Pointless pedantry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Distillation is usually accepted to mean the entire process until cask. Pointless pedantry

Ah now. I don't agree with that. You're saying that you include barley growing, malting, mashing, fermentation AND distillation under the heading "distillation"?

I just don't agree that is the way "distillation" is usually used. Particularly in this case where peat levels are increased during the malting stage and then reduce in later stages, particularly during distillation.

I might have seen your point if you'd included mashing, fermentation and distillation together (although it's still not correct) but malting isn't even generally carried out onsite.

That's just demonstrably untrue. You don't get to label someone a pedant just because you were wrong. Which you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Hi to both of ye. I follow your postings regularly and regard both of ye as reliable and useful posters.

How about closing this saga? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

sceach16 wrote: »
    Hi to both of ye. I follow your postings regularly and regard both of ye as reliable and useful posters.

How about closing this saga? :)

Agreed! :)

Late to the party here but I had a Roe & Co for the first time the other night and couldn't believe how sweet it was. Is there a sweeter Irish whiskey out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just last night, I took the final sips of a bottle of Taketsuru 17. I'd been saving that last drop for a while, but in the end just had the urge and finished it.

I wonder will I ever drink it again.

osarusan wrote: »
    Just last night, I took the final sips of a bottle of Taketsuru 17. I'd been saving that last drop for a while, but in the end just had the urge and finished it.

I wonder will I ever drink it again.

Been working my way through a bottle of Hibiki 17 for the last while - still have about a third or so left. Lovely stuff!

Been working my way through a bottle of Hibiki 17 for the last while - still have about a third or so left. Lovely stuff!

Only recently started drinking Japanese whiskey, got some Nikka from the Barrell and quite enjoyed it.

The Hibiki 17 is discontinued now and impossible to purchase for a reasonable price!

Airport purchases today were limited to two 700s as I'm short on space

Naked Grouse and The Chita were the ones I went for. The old reliable Iberian airport option of Cardhu wasn't in stock!

The Hibiki 17 is discontinued now and impossible to purchase for a reasonable price!

I got mine for free from a chap from Suntory I did some work with! (Now there was a guy who liked his whiskey - drank it like water).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

got some Nikka from the Barrell and quite enjoyed it.

Beautiful.

It would almost get me to try another blended whiskey. Almost.

limnam wrote: »
    got some Nikka from the Barrell and quite enjoyed it.

Beautiful.

What? Plenty of absolutely stunning blended whiskeys around. Why wouldn't you try one?

There are some bloody awful NAS single malts and single grains going around the airport circuit; plenty of damn good blends - a general refusal to try a type is very odd.

limnam wrote: »
    Beautiful.

Almost sounds like you are suggesting that blended vrs single is a measure of quality. Which is obviously nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got some NIKKA Black Pure Malt as i passed through Paris for 52 euro / 500 ML.

Very different to my usual Irish whiskeys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement