Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Had a sup of Redbreast 21 this week for a wee celebration, my god its great stuff!

And had a dram of Paddy Centenary last night, only one or two measures left of that :(. Very nice and showcases what the Paddy brand roots are.
    Lovely pot still with spice and plenty of fruit.
    Unfortunately very difficult to come across it any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's not.

For me in order of preference...

GS Chateau Leoville Barton (really lovely)
    Green Spot
    GS Chateau Montelena
    Yellow Spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

For me in order of preference...

GS Chateau Leoville Barton (really lovely)
    Green Spot
    GS Chateau Montelena
    Yellow Spot

I agree the Leoville Barton is my top pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I think u have all put me off the yellowspot 😂

Back to redbreast it is then... Aberlour 12 is only £28 in tesco NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

picachu wrote: »
    I think u have all put me off the yellowspot

If you haven't tried it, don't be put off.

I'd be the complete opposite and have them like this

Yellow Spot
    Green Spot

GS Chateau Leoville Barton
    GS Chateau Montelena <-Never had it.

I think Yellow spot is more to the profile of someone who enjoys RB.

Then there's powers johns lane release which is a very similar profile to yellow spot and slightly cheaper.

Thinking in terms of % increase per $ doesn't make sense for most things and most definitely doesn't make sense for whiskey IMO

If you can afford it, like PS whiskeys, have a crack of it sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love the Yellow Spot, definitely try it, make your own mind up.

Today I bought a bottle of Speyside Single Malt in Aldi for €24.99. Marketed as Glen Marnoch or something.

Its a bit rough around the edges but certainly very good for the price. I wouldn't be rushing to stock up with a load of bottles of it but it is very drinkable, I'd probably prefer it with a drop of water but worth a try if you come across it.

https://scotchwhisky.com/whiskypedia/3161/glen-marnoch/

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

i bought a bottle of [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pearse 5 Year Old Cask Strength Single Malt Irish Whiskey the 1000 bottle collection anyone tried it yet?[/font]
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]thoughts?[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

i bought a bottle of [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Pearse 5 Year Old Cask Strength Single Malt Irish Whiskey the 1000 bottle collection anyone tried it yet?[/font]

At the airport? That is my plan for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

yeah there was only 3 bottles left on the shelf last thursday i collected it yday

• Advertisement

yeah there was only 3 bottles left on the shelf last thursday i collected it yday

Ok try to buy online. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorted. Collection next week on my way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tastes like gin to me,had a taste of juniper in my mouth for an hour after. Massively overpriced for a 5 year old whiskey.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Tastes like gin to me,had a taste of juniper in my mouth for an hour after. Massively overpriced for a 5 year old whiskey.

Looks like I will keep it as an investment for some time then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Greg81 wrote: »
    Looks like I will keep it as an investment for some time then.

Investment?

Mellor wrote: »
    Investment?

What I meant to say I will keep it and monitor the price. Hope it will be good investment for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Greg81 wrote: »
    What I meant to say I will keep it and monitor the price. Hope it will be good investment for the future.

It costs, what, 70 quid? I'd say if you hang onto it for ten years it might be worth, say, 70 quid.

• Advertisement

It costs, what, 70 quid? I'd say if you hang onto it for ten years it might be worth, say, 70 quid.

120 quid. Limited to 1000 bottles. Maybe you are right maybe you are wrong. I can always open and drink it. Time will tell.

Just look at the price some Dingle whiskey is fetching and you may see the point.
    This is only the second distillery outside of the main 3 to release their own Whiskey in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

mik_da_man wrote: »
    This is only the second distillery outside of the main 3 to release their own Whiskey in recent times.
    Have not West Cork releases some of there own whiskey at this stage ? I thought they had but I could be mistaken.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just look at the price some Dingle whiskey is fetching and you may see the point.

I completely get the point. I just don't think there'll be an investor market for 5yo whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've no doubt that given time some people will be trying to flog those Aldi 26 year old bottles for crazy money. Would have liked to get my hands on one to drink and one to lay down, but there was never a sniff of them in any of the stores around my way.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I completely get the point. I just don't think there'll be an investor market for 5yo whiskey.

Well Dingle whiskey is 3 years old.
    The first cask strength release is selling at 5 times what it cost 2 years ago...

Have not West Cork releases some of there own whiskey at this stage ? I thought they had but I could be mistaken.

Not purely they own, it's still blended with other distillery stock afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Got a bottle of Chita Suntory whiskey on the way back from Frañce on the ferry. Very underwhelming as the whiskey i bought,find it delivers very few of the flavours it promises.
    Am drinking it with a drop of water, anyone any better ideas.

I've no doubt that given time some people will be trying to flog those Aldi 26 year old bottles for crazy money. Would have liked to get my hands on one to drink and one to lay down, but there was never a sniff of them in any of the stores around my way.

I did just that, I was lucky in that I ordered two bottles through their website before they ran out. I'm half way through the bottle I bought for drinking, and it's a different whisky from when I first opened it, it's softer now the harsh young oak tannic quality has abated, it's been an interesting experience and for 40 quid well worth it. Not sure when I'll sell the other one, but you can be sure I'll use the money to buy more whiskey.

Got a bottle of Chita Suntory whiskey on the way back from Frañce on the ferry. Very underwhelming as the whiskey i bought,find it delivers very few of the flavours it promises.
    Am drinking it with a drop of water, anyone any better ideas.

Nikka Whisky from the Barrel. I don't know how available it is, I heard Yamazaki, Hakushu distillery editions are better than Chita. TBH Japanese whisky is so overpriced I don't go near it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Opium on Wexford Street Dublin 2 have some Japanese whiskies, Nikka might be one of them.

Some more suggestions here for Japanese drinks:
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/japanese-drinks-dublin-sake-whiskey-cocktails/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Took a punt on a bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt today in Heathrow for 19GBP. Never tried it, havnt heard anything of it and im yet to open it.

What are peoples opinions on it? How peaty is it compared to say, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg etc?

Deciding whether to keep it or gift it to a scotch drinker around Christmas.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Took a punt on a bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt today in Heathrow for 19GBP. Never tried it, havnt heard anything of it and im yet to open it.

What are peoples opinions on it? How peaty is it compared to say, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg etc?

Pretty common stuff but 19 quid is a great price. Peat not even close to approaching any of the Islay scotches but still plenty strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Pretty common stuff but 19 quid is a great price. Peat not even close to approaching any of the Islay scotches but still plenty strong.

Would it be similar to a Highland Park 12 so? Or less peaty? Might pop it open and give it a bash for the sake of the price.

Would it be similar to a Highland Park 12 so? Or less peaty? Might pop it open and give it a bash for the sake of the price.

It'd be a bit less than HP but you're talking there or thereabouts. That's for the old HP 12, there's a new bottling of it which I've never had so don't know if it's any different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Took a punt on a bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt today in Heathrow for 19GBP.
    Nice one. It's currently £20.49 in Manchester Airport, and £20.99 in Bristol. I'm working through a bottle at the moment. It's fine; not insanely smoky but easy-going and accessible.

Wandering into two whiskey bars over the weekend. Tried a few old some new drops and an old favourite.
    Glendalough, Laphroaig 15 (I think), Nikka Coffey Malt, Hibikki 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

currently enjoying a Waricks blended scotch. that I picked up super cheap in an airport.

paid circa €13 for 1L
    a 70cl is retailing at €40 at CWS

and I picked it up in a German airport... so full taxs paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mikeecho wrote: »
    currently enjoying a Waricks blended scotch. that I picked up super cheap in an airport.
    paid circa €13 for 1L
    a 70cl is retailing at €40 at CWS
    and I picked it up in a German airport... so full taxs paid

Sounds like a bargain? What would you compare it to?
    I have a friend travelling through German aiport so might put an order in with them but can find very little info online about this one...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Mellor wrote: »
    Wandering into two whiskey bars over the weekend. Tried a few old some new drops and an old favourite.
    Glendalough, Laphroaig 15 (I think), Nikka Coffey Malt, Hibikki 18

Was that in Ireland somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Was that in Ireland somewhere?

Australia iirc.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Australia iirc.

Yup.
    Some spots have a great selection, you pay a premium it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Found 1litre bottles of Jameson today for $14 each, just too bad that it was in Asmara Eritrea duty free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried Stauning Danish whisky. Malted Rye 4 year old.

Beautifully packaged but the whiskey was undrinkable bad. Really strong taste and nose of mould. Bleugh.
    I wouldn't even put this in an Irish coffee.
    Expensive too.

Highly rated distillery but I don't know how this got past quality control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hi I am a big fan of the peaty whiskey. Excellent choice and congrats on the price

I remember my first and last taste of Connemara Peat, I found it revolting and wouldn't even use it for Irish coffees.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I remember my first and last taste of Connemara Peat, I found it revolting and wouldn't even use it for Irish coffees.

Do you like peated whiskey in general?

If you do, you'll like Connemara. If you don't, you won't.

Absolutely not, I think that the smell and taste brought back childhood memories of holidays gone wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Absolutely not, I think that the smell and taste brought back childhood memories of holidays gone wrong.

Do tell us more. I had some horrible childhood holidays but none involved peaty whiskies!

So you don't like peated whiskey and on drinking Connemara, a peated whiskey, discovered you didn't like it?

I am shocked. Utterly shocked, I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Do tell us more. I had some horrible childhood holidays but none involved peaty whiskies!

:D

Connemara was my first and last peated whiskey.

Didn’t have an opinion prior to drinking it, firm opinion after drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Connemara was my first and last peated whiskey.

Didn’t have an opinion prior to drinking it, firm opinion after drinking it.

Ah, you're Def missing out...get a Laphroaig 10yo...you won't be disappointed.....and if by chance you are, ...you can slide it my way! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I like peated whiskys and really dislike Connemara. It's overdone and that's not even going to the Turf Mor version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

L1011 wrote: »
    I like peated whiskys and really dislike Connemara. It's overdone and that's not even going to the Turf Mor version

They make it in Burnley?

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement