Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,305 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pot still whisky in Scotland?

Pot stills yes.
    https://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/production/details/the-scottish-pot-stills.html

Single malt Scotch whisky means a Scotch whisky produced from only water and malted barley at a single distillery by batch distillation in pot stills.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Talisker single malt is distilled using five pot stills and is also used as the backbone of Johnnie Walker.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It's made in Pot Still, but not called Pot Still Whiskey...

Anyway... @ 2011abc

For the cheapest place to buy whiskey it really depends on what you are after.
    Duty free can be cheap, but then Spain can be cheaper again, but what you can get is limited.
    If you're not traveling then some supermarket deals can be good. Otherwise NI if it's close.
    But again totally depends on what your after

For the mixing whiskey, it's a common enough practice in whiskey circles, can be quite interesting making your own blend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pot stills yes.
    https://www.whisky.com/information/knowledge/production/details/the-scottish-pot-stills.html

Single malt Scotch whisky means a Scotch whisky produced from only water and malted barley at a single distillery by batch distillation in pot stills.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Talisker single malt is distilled using five pot stills and is also used as the backbone of Johnnie Walker.

Completely understandable confusion.
    All single malt is distilled in pot stills but (stupidly) this does not make it pot still whisky.

Pot still whiskey uses a portion of unmalted barley in the mash and is then distilled in pot stills. This is particular to Ireland, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Exactly. Irish and Scotch whiskies are almost universally distilled in pot stills. This does not not make it "pot still whiskey" which, as mentioned above refers to whiskey made from a mixed malted/unmalted mash and is specific to Irish whiskey.

Anyway, as I said, I've not heard of people making homemade blends but understand that it must happen. Can only imagine what the snob poster (I can't remember which one of you it is) who refuses to drink anything other than single malt (through some misguided notion of quality or, more likely, complete ignorance) would say of the practice.

Exactly. Irish and Scotch whiskies are almost universally distilled in pot stills..

I'm afraid that this part isn't correct.
    Irish single pot still whiskey and any Irish or Scottish single malt is exclusively distilled in pot stills.

Lots and lots of Irish and Scottish whisky is distilled in continuous still, mostly from corn (often referred to as grain whiskey) This is used in blends,mostly. Paddy, Powers, Jameson would all have corn whiskey in their blend.
    Even Middleton could have continously distilled corn whisky in it as it is just labeled as Irish whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I'm afraid that this part isn't correct.
    Irish single pot still whiskey and any Irish or Scottish single malt is exclusively distilled in pot stills.

Lots and lots of Irish and Scottish whisky is distilled in continuous still, mostly from corn (often referred to as grain whiskey) This is used in blends,mostly. Paddy, Powers, Jameson would all have corn whiskey in their blend.
    Even Middleton could have continously distilled corn whisky in it as it is just labeled as Irish whiskey.

By 'corn' - are referring to wheat or American style 'corn'?
    Jameson is produced from a blend of grain whiskey and single pot still whiskey, which uses a mixture of malted and unmalted or "green" Irish barley, all sourced from within a fifty-mile radius around the distillery in Cork. The barley is dried in a closed kiln fired by natural gas (formerly anthracite coal). This is in contrast to the traditional method used in some Scotch whisky distilleries, which fire the kiln with peat, adding a distinctive peat flavour.

https://irishwhiskey.com/a-beginners-guide-to-how-irish-whiskey-is-made/

Which?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Exactly. Irish and Scotch whiskies are almost universally distilled in pot stills. This does not not make it "pot still whiskey" which, as mentioned above refers to whiskey made from a mixed malted/unmalted mash and is specific to Irish whiskey.

One thing we can thank the British rule for!!
    During that time there was that there was a charge put on malted barley, so to get around this charge the distillers used unmalted or "Green" barley, so they could produce larger volumes without paying the extra charges.
    Thus we have Single/Pure Pot still Whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In North Wales and hit the Tesco Extras to see what was on offer. Bought far too much...

JW Black for £28.50

350ml bottles of Chivas were a tenner (actually a tenner in Holyhead and 9.60 or so in Bangor weirdly), so I bought 4... works out the same as one 700ml here

Tamnavulin Double Cask for £22. Its NAS and I think quite young but this is a distillery where the product isn't that commonly sold direct - its used in blends.

Famous Grouse Smoky Black, formerly Black Grouse - £15. This is quite a nice product, actually nearly all the Famous Grouse derivatives are good when the basic blend is bloody awful, and £15 is an excellent price.

The Irish selection was tiny - Jameson standard and Caskmates Stout, Bush (white), Tullamore and all as dear or more than in ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just about to tackle this, wish me luck! Smells very interesting :D

42624869040_a097fecd37_c.jpg

Wailin wrote: »
    Just about to tackle this, wish me luck! Smells very interesting :D

42624869040_a097fecd37_c.jpg
    A classic for anyone interested in peated Scotch.

If you're not into peat, it'll be, ah, interesting to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'm mad to try Lagavulin so I can compare it to Laphroaig and see who the intense peat king is. Or maybe they're equally delicious. Pic from the wkend:

I'm mad to try Lagavulin so I can compare it to Laphroaig and see who the intense peat king is. Or maybe they're equally delicious. Pic from the wkend:

The answer is Ardbeg. The Uigedeal bottling could be used as rocket fuel.

The Ardbeg 10 seemed relatively tame to my palate but yes definitely very interested in the Uigeadail!

From what I gather it's neither....Ardbeg is.

Edit: as eagerbeaver said above :D

As far as I'm aware, another of the Islay malts, Bruichladdich, or at least one of its expressions is "scientifically" the most peaty. Having never tried, I can't say if that translates to the taste.

Of the flagship expression from the big 3 Islay malts - Ardbeg and Laphroaig 10 and the above mentioned Lagavulin 16, I'd say the Ardbeg nips it. Then when you get into other expressions like the Uigedeal it goes absolutely mental.

gozunda wrote: »
    By 'corn' - are referring to wheat or American style 'corn'?

https://irishwhiskey.com/a-beginners-guide-to-how-irish-whiskey-is-made/

Which?

Maize /corn on the cob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

picachu wrote: »
    Go up north for value - its worth it if you are buying two or more bottles

be interested to hear what the JW green is like

I tried this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Smoother than what I'd associate Scotch with.
    I dont have a great nose yet for describing/comparing, but I'll say this won't be my last JW Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

2011abc wrote: »
    Oh and if it's not another annoying noob question ,how many millilitres do most drink when 'tasting' at home ? Irish spirits measures 35/35.5ml(?) I tend to have a bit less but might repeat the experience 2-4 times ...

35ml (ish) for me.
    I had to buy a measure a while back as I noticed all my bottles where emptying rather quickly :D

I finished a bottle of Ardbeg recently, so I fancied some non-peated scotch for a change, and something I hadn't had before.

I opted for Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I've had the standard expression before, and enjoyed that.
    This is 10 years in cask, 2 years in Port Pipes, resulting in a deep ruby colour.
    Had a drop yesterday afternoon, and was thoroughly impressed. Big nose, powerful fruity flavours and a medium to long finish. Very drinkable.

€64 for 70cl in The Whiskey Shop on Clarendon Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

How does that shop compare with Celtic?

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    How does that shop compare with Celtic?

Smaller, and not as much variety, but still a good stock.
    Staff just as helpful and knowledgable though from what I could tell. Was my first time popping in. I'd be happy to go in again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I finished a bottle of Ardbeg recently, so I fancied some non-peated scotch for a change, and something I hadn't had before.

I opted for Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I've had the standard expression before, and enjoyed that.
    This is 10 years in cask, 2 years in Port Pipes, resulting in a deep ruby colour.
    Had a drop yesterday afternoon, and was thoroughly impressed. Big nose, powerful fruity flavours and a medium to long finish. Very drinkable.

I picked up a bottle of that last year and it didn't last very long. Loved it.

Btw, how did you find those glasses? From what I've read, they are ridiculously light and very easy to break, even heard of them breaking from dropping ice cubes into them.

Use a rocks glass if you're putting ice in. Glencairns, clones and twin wall glasses are simply not designed for it. IKEA do exceptionally solid cheap rocks glasses. they're bigger so larger cubes that take longer to melt fit also

I don't use ice or 'rocks' in whiskey, just referring to how flimsy those particular glasses are. They look nice but if they break that easy then are pointless.

They break easy if mistreated. Hand wash, no ice. Rocks glass = sightly posher wide short tumbler but yes, don't use those weird reconstituted stone "rocks" in those glasses either

Btw, how did you find those glasses? From what I've read, they are ridiculously light and very easy to break, even heard of them breaking from dropping ice cubes into them.

They're nice yeah; good to have in the collection. Probably more lookers than anything. Decent for nosing. They're light but feel very nice in the hand. They're delicate tasting glasses not tumblers. There's even a warning in the instructions advising not to put ice in them as you're only meant to drink from them neat. Don't know if I'd say they're worth the price if you're looking for value.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

+1 on the Quinta ruban. I'd only ever had a dram of it when I was over in Speyside. It's beautiful. Couldn't find it here though, so nice to know where to get it.

The answer is Ardbeg. The Uigedeal bottling could be used as rocket fuel.

Lagavulin 16 is a lovely drop. It's more smokey than the Ardbeg for me, doesn't hold back on the peat either but i don't find it as harsh as the Laphroaig.

Ardbeg Uigeadal is fantastic too, cask strength so needs water but has such a complex finish that goes on forever! Not for the fact hearted though!

• Advertisement

Shop around the corner from work has Red Bush - tempted to buy a bottle just because I've had the entire range otherwise. It can't be worse than the honey liquer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

L1011 wrote: »
    Shop around the corner from work has Red Bush - tempted to buy a bottle just because I've had the entire range otherwise. It can't be worse than the honey liquer!

The honey liquer is awful to drink as it is but makes for a good hot whiskey imo ...

Fairly sure I saw Red Bush in Dunnes the other day for €32 (700ml). It was one or two Euro more than the Black Bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Picked up a bottle of cardhu at Madrid airport for €25 great little bargain, and along with black barrel, my fave whisky at around the €50 mark here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Fairly sure I saw Red Bush in Dunnes the other day for €32 (700ml). It was one or two Euro more than the Black Bush

I agree. It was 1 or 2 euros dearer than Blackbush....I can't remember the price but it was in the 20s....I think. there are a few offers on Bush at the moment.

O'Briens have Blackbush at 25 with redbush at 30 and whitebush at 29.

O Briens have a whiskey sale on at the moment: https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

Also apparently Tesco are selling Powers John's Lane for 50 euros for September. amazing price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sceach16 wrote: »
    O'Briens have Blackbush at 25 with redbush at 30 and whitebush at 29.

Well that pricing makes no sense at all!

Nabbed a Black Bush at €26 in Dunnes a couple of weeks back, I should really pick up another if that offer is still on.

Edit: Tesco have BB for €26 until 2 Oct. and Three Swallows for €40.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Tesco and Obrians seem to take turns and pricing BlackBush low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Also apparently Tesco are selling Powers John's Lane for 50 euros for September. amazing price.

Anyone know if tesco are still taking Dunnes vouchers...for example €10 off when you spend €50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,305 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone know if tesco are still taking Dunnes vouchers...for example €10 off when you spend €50?

Nope just Dunnes.

See:
    https://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

im going to the loop in a few weeks. Can you buy a bottle and collect it on your return trip?

• Advertisement

im going to the loop in a few weeks. Can you buy a bottle and collect it on your return trip?

You can yea.

im going to the loop in a few weeks.  Can you buy a bottle and collect it on your return trip?

You can yea.
    Provided you're travelling within the EU

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Provided you're travelling within the EU

Excluding the Canaries.

Talisker 10 in O' Briens for €42.95, on sale. It's going for €58.99 in Celtic Whiskey Shop. Might nab one, heard it's a lovely Scotch.

Talisker 10 in O' Briens for €42.95, on sale. It's going for €58.99 in Celtic Whiskey Shop. Might nab one, heard it's a lovely Scotch.

That's a good price for Talisker. It's a lovely whisky, one of my favourites. Great flavour and nice amount of peat, not too much & not too little. Might pick one up myself cos I'm all out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Powers John's Lane down from 65 to 50 in Tesco till 2nd October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I rarely set foot in Tesco but for that I'll make a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Don't think I've ever seen it in any of the tesco's near me.

Where did you see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

limnam wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen it in any of the tesco's near me.

Where did you see it?

It’s on the website.
    It’s never in my Tesco either.

Had the entry level West Cork bourbon cask whiskey again, lovely distinctive flavour. For 25 quid in dunnes it's impossible to do better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement