Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lots and lots of Irish and Scottish whisky is distilled in continuous still, mostly from corn (often referred to as grain whiskey) This is used in blends,mostly. Paddy, Powers, Jameson would all have corn whiskey in their blend.
    Even Middleton could have continously distilled corn whisky in it as it is just labeled as Irish whiskey.
    Continuing my Whiskey tour of Ireland, I was down at the Midleton distillery yesterday. And can confirm that Midleton Very Rare contains corn whiskey from a continuous still.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

I got a bottle of Middleton very rare 2017 from a friend and got a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue label dying to open both any tips on how to drink these two? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Jimdagym wrote: »
    It’s on the website.
    It’s never in my Tesco either.

Yep spotted it online, but I've seen it in a few of the larger Tesco stores, e.g. Oranmore Galway, Rathfarnam, Dundrum, Kildare

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yep spotted it online, but I've seen it in a few of the larger Tesco stores, e.g. Oranmore Galway, Rathfarnam, Dundrum, Kildare

Galway shopping centre Tesco also stock it, all out at the moment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got a bottle of Middleton very rare 2017 from a friend and got a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue label dying to open both any tips on how to drink these two? thanks :)

I'd try them straight.
    Then I'd try them with a tiny drop of water.
    If it is still too "hot" for your taste, try a little more water until it is to your taste.
    You may find that you prefer them without water.

Personally. I don't like straight sided tumblers for whiskey.
    I like a cognac glass or a malt tasting glass. I often use a wine glass for spirits, too:eek:
    But I love my malt tasting glasses for any spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just cracked open a bottle of balvenie 14 year old carribean cask finish
    Beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

What's the speyside whiskey like? Is it peaty at all or does it compare to Irish whisky?

Wailin wrote:
    What's the speyside whiskey like? Is it peaty at all or does it compare to Irish whisky?

Speyside is the most like Irish scotch you'll get. It's milder and sweeter with very little if any peat at all. I found it to be a great introduction to Scottish whisky and you'll get to peatier stuff in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

O'Briens appear to have a Whiskey sale on atm

https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/att-category/irish-whiskey.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kevk20

Picked up a bottle of Glenfarclas 10 yr old in O’Briens a few weeks ago. Liked it so much I have bought the 15 and 17 yr old versions. Love the sweet sherried style, and reasonably priced for the quality you get. Great Speyside malt, and the 17 yr old was quite beautiful with some Xmas cake I had left over from last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Wailin wrote: »

Yep, very good as an introduction to Scottish whisky. Cragganmore 12 is a lovely drop if you can get it here, Glenlivet 12 too is similar. Also aberlour 10 is decent. Some of them can be peated too but they are pretty uncommon. I got a lovely bottle of Ben Riach curioistas peated 10 yr old from celtic whiskey on Dawson St.

Some lovely Highland whiskeys too like Glenmorangie and Highland Park. Very similar to Speyside.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Kevk20 wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of Glenfarclas 10 yr old in O’Briens a few weeks ago. Liked it so much I have bought the 15 and 17 yr old versions. Love the sweet sherried style, and reasonably priced for the quality you get. Great Speyside malt, and the 17 yr old was quite beautiful with some Xmas cake I had left over from last year...

Yeah, Glenfarclas 10 is lovely but not tried the older ones.
    Mortlach 16 is supposed to be fabulous too but it's pretty pricey afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sipping away tonight on a Highland Park 12 that I'd completely forgotten about. Was only talking about it here a few weeks ago. Turns out the wife bought me it for a birthday nearly two years ago and it went in the cupboard and was completely missed.

Lovely dram altogether. Will never understand the decision to scrap it.

Some lovely Highland whiskeys too like Glenmorangie and Highland Park. Very similar to Speyside.

Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 a few weeks ago but havent tried it yet. Looking forward to having a drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seems a lot of producers are moving away from age statements, it must be down to supply issues with aged spirit (or some beancounter told them they could get away with charging nearly as much for a cheaper blend...)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Sipping away tonight on a Highland Park 12 that I'd completely forgotten about. Was only talking about it here a few weeks ago. Turns out the wife bought me it for a birthday nearly two years ago and it went in the cupboard and was completely missed.

One of my favourite Scotches.
    They've redesigned the bottle, but the HP 12 is still available from what I can tell?

One of my favourite Scotches.
    They've redesigned the bottle, but the HP 12 is still available from what I can tell?

You can still buy it of course but my understanding is that there's none coming out of the distillery any more and it has been replaced by this 12 Year Viking Honour expression, about which there have been considerable complaints and suggestions that it's significantly different from the original single malt.

Seems a lot of producers are moving away from age statements, it must be down to supply issues with aged spirit (or some beancounter told them they could get away with charging nearly as much for a cheaper blend...)
    Some distillerys might be short on certain vintages due to surges in sales in recent years. E.g. Hibiki 17 is on hiatus for a while. Even the giants such as Jameson would and stayed on top of a trending market, I'm not sure in their production in 2000 would have been enough for sales in 2018.

You can still buy it of course but my understanding is that there's none coming out of the distillery any more and it has been replaced by this 12 Year Viking Honour expression, about which there have been considerable complaints and suggestions that it's significantly different from the original single malt.

Ah, sorry I'm with you now. I thought the Viking Honor, was just a new name they'd chosen for the 12.
    Damn. Significant difference, that doesn't sound good :(

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ah, sorry I'm with you now. I thought the Viking Honor, was just a new name they'd chosen for the 12.

Very disappointing to hear. I've always found it one of the best value single malts to my taste; always seems to be on special in one of the Big Four when I'm in the UK.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »

Very disappointing to hear. I've always found it one of the best value single malts to my taste; always seems to be on special in one of the Big Four when I'm in the UK.

Absolutely, it was a great bit of stuff. One of the best whiskies lb for lb and great intro to scotch for Irish drinkers. If I see it about I must remember to buy a bottle every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If a distillery names an age release they will still put the age on the bottle - it's critical for pricing. Bowmore do this, "Darkest" is 15 and 15 is obvious on the bottle even though its mostly marketed as just Bowmore Darkest. It's also one of the cheapest 15 year old single malts I've ever found, and decent enough too.

Naming with no age = it's going to be vastly younger than what it replaced. The Glenlivet NAS replacement for 10 tastes like paint stripper and can't be much older than 6 or 7 I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whats the story with distillers adding caramel to their whiskey?

Does all whiskey contain some amount?

gozunda wrote: »
    Whats the story with distillers adding caramel to their whiskey?

Does all whiskey contain some amount?

Hard to know as they don't have to tell you on the label.
    I have no doubt that there are whiskeys out there without caramel. I'm sure some boast about the fact.
    The big producers wouldn't make a fuss about any brands they produce not having caramel because it brings into focus the fact that all their other brands have caramel. Up until very recently, there only were big producers in Ireland so it generally wasn't spoken about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

I may have missed some posts... but has anyone tried Method and Madness Hungarian Oak ...any thoughts?

I may have missed some posts... but has anyone tried Method and Madness Hungarian Oak ...any thoughts?

Not tried it but the m&m I did try (chestnut finish) was really interesting and good.

If the bottle is to be sold in Germany it has to say. Bigger brands have country specific packaging; some countries need their own - UK needs it's duty stamp for instance, so you rarely see German packaging outside Germany

They usually call it dye (farbstoff) not caramel as karamell is very easily figured out by an English speaker!

Have the Method & Madness single malt...very nice. Actually prefer it the the Midleton Very Rare 2017. The Hungarian Oak seems to be hard to get, I'd snap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Just about to open a bottle of black Bush, I generally stick to Irish distillers stuff normally and have not tasted much bushmills so looking forward to this

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have the Method & Madness single malt...very nice. Actually prefer it the the Midleton Very Rare 2017. The Hungarian Oak seems to be hard to get, I'd snap it up.

I have tried it and quite liked it, didn't realise it was that hard to get hold of, must pick up a few...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

cloudatlas wrote: »

Oh oh here we go.... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8vBB_AjSo/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1esaj96nu0fm4

The number 1 pound for pound whiskey...Jameson get the fook outta 'ere!

So the new name is "Proper No. 12" :(

Conor McGregor names new whiskey after Crumlin roots

Mixed martial arts fighter scrapped idea to call product ‘Notorious’ after trademark row

"Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor has included a nod to his Crumlin roots in the new name for his whiskey brand, which was changed following a dispute over trademarks. The Dublin-born athlete had been planning to cash in on his name by launching a whiskey brand using his moniker, Notorious. However, following a challenge on trademark grounds, the idea was scrapped.

“I come from a place called Crumlin, in Dublin 12. It’s a place dear to my heart. It’s where I learned how to fight; it made me who I am today. It’s a place I’m still very much a part of every single day of my life. So, that’s where the name came from. “It’s proper Irish whiskey and twelve is my hometown. Growing up on the streets of Dublin 12, I learned the values of loyalty and hard work."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/conor-mcgregor-names-new-whiskey-after-crumlin-roots-1.3632102

Squatter wrote: »
    So the new name is "Proper No. 12" :(
    It's an odd name, No.X is more associated with Gin than whiskey (Tanqueray no 10, Beefeater 24, Monkey 47) - possibly due to age statements being a feature of whiskey.
    But ultimately, I don't think the name matters. If it was a random start-up in Dublin people wouldn't care, but the McGregor factor will be at play.

I had an idea who his partner was for this whiskey when he mentioned Cleto Reyes (Mexican boxing gloves) and Whiskey in the same a post. The photos on the website confirm it. That's Bushmills.

Somewhat ironic that a whiskey named after the centre of Dublin is being distilled on the north coast. I find the multiple, very prominent labelling of "triple distilled" a bit strange. Hardly a standout feature for an Irish whiskey

I'll not be racing out to buy it but I've no doubt plenty of my MMA loving but whiskey ignorant friends will be clamouring for it and proclaiming it the nicest dram in the world so I'll no doubt get a chance to taste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anyone else absolutely hate the term "Dram"?

Almost as much as the use of 'drop'. 'Had a drop of such and such last night'... go way you chancer you drank half the bottle :D

Almost as much as the use of 'drop'. 'Had a drop of such and such last night'... go way you chancer you drank half the bottle :D

Maybe when drinking ****e like McGregor's whiskey will inevitably be. If you're drinking an 18 year old single malt and are drinking half the bottle you might need to have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Almost as much as the use of 'drop'.
    Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 a few weeks ago but havent tried it yet. Looking forward to having a drop.

:confused::pac:

Had another taste of the Green Spot Leoville Barton over the weekend. Christ it's a great whiskey. Gonna have to buy a bottle soon for winter. The nose on it is something else. Such a deep dark fruity whack.

:confused::pac:

Lol, only cos I couldn't bring myself to use dram...

Somewhat ironic that a whiskey named after the centre of Dublin is being distilled on the north coast. I find the multiple, very prominent labelling of "triple distilled" a bit strange. Hardly a standout feature for an Irish whiskey
    id guess that's to make a fuss in the American market. Where's it's not that common. Lazy yanks :)

I always associated dram with scotch, so it always sounds odd to me when it's used for to Irish whiskey. Never have an issue with drop.
    Not a fan of nip (might be only an Aussie thing).

• Advertisement

So is a glass the appropriate term or is it measure
    Confused here 

brinty wrote: »
    Confused here 

A jigger ;)

Sure a dram is only a teaspoon of whiskey. Would only wet your lips :pac:

Ah I've no problem with a nip of whiskey. Calls to mind freezing your bollocks off standing on terraces watching underage hurling and football matches in small towns and villages in winter time.

I'd almost never use dram except for if I was in a formal tasting session or bring ironic about it. Definitely more associated with scotch for me.

Would never use drop either. At least not for the whiskey - 'cos I take a drop of water in my glass of whiskey most times

brinty wrote: »
    Confused here 

Traditionally, a glass referred to a double shot.
    A single would have been called a "half" or a "small".
    Eg half a powers
    Or, a small powers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lot more respect for someone putting the money in to actually distilling it than slapping a spurious name on the cheapest Bushmills going.

• Advertisement

How does everyone order in a pub?
    I just ask by name unless it's a double.. so for example, 'John's Lane, neat', or 'large John's Lane, neat'.

L1011 wrote: »
    Lot more respect for someone putting the money in to actually distilling it than slapping a spurious name on the cheapest Bushmills going.

I've no issue with the company not distilling their own spirit, per se. Mitchells have never distilled a drop of spirit in the 100 years they are making greenspot - and it's one of the best imo.
    But if it's just a 3 year Bushmills blend in the bottle it's a farce. Part of me thinks it likely is is and it's just a cash grab. But the optimist in me believes the part about actually trying different blends are and that there may something a bit better in there.

Only way to know is to try it I guess. If it is the lowest possible entry point, it would basically be Red Bush. Fairly obvious smack in the face.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting review of McGregor's whiskey...
    Summary: An accessible whiskey, though not strongly flavoured, at an affordable price point, made by one of the island’s most respected distilleries. I expect this will end up being mixed or served over ice with something sweet.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/drink/conor-mcgregor-s-new-whiskey-a-taste-test-1.3634848

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So, White Bush at twice the price?

(Edit: they're saying ~€35 now, it was €45 earlier)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

at €35 he'll be doing well to shift it! Thats Crested/Teelings Small Batch prices!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement