Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hogzy wrote: »
    at €35 he'll be doing well to shift it! Thats Crested/Teelings Small Batch prices!

Can sometimes (Paddys Day/Christmas usually) get Bush 10 on offer for that which I find the best value Irish on the market. Definitely wouldn't pay it for what is likely to be very similar to Bushmills White!

L1011 wrote: »
    Can sometimes (Paddys Day/Christmas usually) get Bush 10 on offer for that which I find the best value Irish on the market. Definitely wouldn't pay it for what is likely to be very similar to Bushmills White!

imo black bush has more character than bushmills 10

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It will be snapped up ahead of the fight in a few weeks regardless of the price!

30 would have been the correct price point imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I really like Bushmills White. That or Powers Gold would be my weeknightly nightcap :D
    But I never pay more than 20-23euro for either, thanks to them being at the lower end of the price market. Great value whiskies in my opinion.

My tipples this week :D

Redbreast Lustau
    Powers John's Lane
    Connemara Peated
    Powers Three swallow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

What's the lustau like compared to standard 12 yr old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Wailin wrote: »

Similar base taste profile but more of a sherry bomb. literally just bought a bottle today actually. just class.

I have the 12 year old cask strength, haven't opened it yet, have some other stuff I'd like to finish off first :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I have the 12 year old cask strength, haven't opened it yet, have some other stuff I'd like to finish off first :pac:
    It's the best of them all other than the 21.

As said, all the qualities of the 12 year old, but heavy on the sherry. Christmas in a bottle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Its got a strong sherry linger. I prefer the standard12 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So, White Bush at twice the price?
    Nobody knows and we're unlikely to ever find out what's in it, unless a more expensive age statement version comes out.
    After that review (assuming it wasn't a paid ad) I'm slightly more confident that it's not Red Bush rebrand.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Anyone else absolutely hate the term "Dram"?

Dram? It is what it is, common parlance in Scotland I suppose. Never really heard anyone use it here.

Anyhoo, dram, drop or nip, who cares what it's called when it's liquid gold like Lagavulin 16! Just having a taste tonight for the first time in a while. Hard to beat it!

Only introduced myself to the lagavulin and peaty scotch stuff very recently. Nothing compares to it really. Nice change to the smooth and easy to drink Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Dram? It is what it is, common parlance in Scotland I suppose. Never really heard anyone use it here.

Anyhoo, dram, drop or nip, who cares what it's called when it's liquid gold like Lagavulin 16! Just having a taste tonight for the first time in a while. Hard to beat it!

Its fairly common in this thread but you're right in fairness, it's irrational on my part!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Picked up a 200ml Jura 10 Year Old and Fyne Ales IPA gift pack(plus glass) for £6 in Tesco today. 700ml of Jura is normally £30ish so it seemed like a good bargain anyway.

Consider drinking it from the fridge; for me ice seemed to benefit it for about a minute until it got a bit watery and destroyed the taste.

Whiskey from the fridge? The purists would frown upon that...

Whiskey from the fridge? The purists would frown upon that...

Absolutely; but they'd be even more irritated by ice - and probably OK with a bit of water which I feel ruins this whiskey.

Personal tastes apply, as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Absolutely; but they'd be even more irritated by ice - and probably OK with a bit of water which I feel ruins this whiskey.

Personal tastes apply, as always.

What about the whiskey stones from the freezer that dont melt? Any use or a gimmick?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Best way to drink whiskey is the way you enjoy it.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What about the whiskey stones from the freezer that dont melt? Any use or a gimmick?

Gimmick. They do cool the whiskey slightly but the majority of the cooling from ice is the endothermic reaction of the ice melting and the stones don't melt.

I have a set, I used them once. An enthusiast might need five or six sets on the go to ensure there's enough for a night...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Exactly!
    Neat!

True... As long as you're not spending a fortune on premium stuff and then deadening all the taste with ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

True... As long as you're not spending a fortune on premium stuff and then deadening all the taste with ice!

Its their money and their mouth

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Its their money and their mouth

Also true, they can lash a load of coke into it while they're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gimmick. They do cool the whiskey slightly but the majority of the cooling from ice is the endothermic reaction of the ice melting and the stones don't melt.

It's not an endothermic reaction, it's a phase change (latent heat of fusion.)

/pedant

Scrap the cap!

What's the issue if they do? serious question btw.

I agree that ice changes the taste. Why should anyone say what the "right" taste is. And I'd well believe that ice "closes the distance" between a bod standard 4 year whiskey, and a 15 year+ premium. You'd have a tough time convincing me that the premium doesn't still taste marginally better in that state.

If somebody wants to splash out on a premium with a standard would suffice. That's their money to spend imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is lovely stuff. One of my favourite bourbons.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Basil-Hayden's-Bourbon

Ever try Eagle Rare 10? Bought a bottle some time ago for making old fashioned cocktails, not bad neat though. Bit of a leathery aftertaste that spoils it a little but nice contrast to Irish pot still.

• Advertisement

It's not an endothermic reaction, it's a phase change (latent heat of fusion.)

/pedant

My C-grades in honours chemistry and physics fail me again :pac:

I drink pretty much any whiskey - blends, pure pot still, single malt, peated or non-peated. Scotch, Japanese, Taiwanese. Whatever. However, I'm not a big drinker of any American whiskey, never have been add it was never something the aul fella would have been into but I do like the Eagle Rare. Also quite like Blanton's. Don't like JD, don't like Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey except in cocktails. I'm conscious that the variety is endless - any suggestions as to where I could next turn my attention to try something new?

Four roses or George T Stagg very highly rated. Never tried them myself and not too common from looking around.

I always find american bourbon to be fairly sweet and honeyed, but im certainly no expert on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Any recommendations for Cask strength Irish Whiskey? Thinking of getting the Redbreast cask next but I'm open to suggestions.

Cazale wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Cask strength Irish Whiskey? Thinking of getting the Redbreast cask next but I'm open to suggestions.
    The Redbreast is one of the best of any Irish whiskey. Can't recommend highly enough.

Writer's Tears and the Irishman both very good too.

Yeah I don't think you'll find better than the RB cask strength in fairness. I have it but not opened yet. Some rate it better than the 21 yo which is a lovely whiskey.

Waiting on someone to try the Glendalough 13 mizunara to let me know what it's like so I can decide whether to get it or not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Waiting on someone to try the Glendalough 13 mizunara to let me know what it's like so I can decide whether to get it or not

I picked that up last night but have yet to taste it yet. Smells nice though if that helps. I'll let you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I drink pretty much any whiskey - blends, pure pot still, single malt, peated or non-peated. Scotch, Japanese, Taiwanese. Whatever. However, I'm not a big drinker of any American whiskey, never have been add it was never something the aul fella would have been into but I do like the Eagle Rare. Also quite like Blanton's. Don't like JD, don't like Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey except in cocktails. I'm conscious that the variety is endless - any suggestions as to where I could next turn my attention to try something new?

The nicest bourbon out there
    https://www.angelsenvy.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

:confused:

Are you off your rocker, what does that even mean..

Waiting on someone to try the Glendalough 13 mizunara to let me know what it's like so I can decide whether to get it or not ;)

Tried it at a tasting. Definitely pick it up if you can afford to. Its great. One the most interesting whiskeys I've ever had anyways. It seems to be generally very well regarded.

I was at the Celtic Whiskey Shop Buffalo Trace tasting the other night so got to try six of their bourbons/whiskeys (Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, W.L Weller, Sazerac Rye, George T Stagg, E.H Taylor).

They had the E.H Taylor Four Grain which won best whiskey of the year in this year's whiskey Bible. Im not too well versed in bourbons but it was awesome. Really glad I got to try it.

Their entry level Buffalo Trace bourbon was great too, so that would be a good affordable one to try if not convinced by stuff like Bulleit and Makers Mark and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Cazale wrote: »

Cheaper offering, but West Cork cask strength is absolutely lovely, I've actually recommended a few of theirs here, rum cask being my favourite. It has about 8 levels to it's flavour which changes as you go from nose to finish, it's worth trying at the very least. (I'm a huge fan of buying Irish & supporting local, so I try to focus on non-IDL brands)

Think he was being sarcastic.

Tried it at a tasting. Definitely pick it up if you can afford to. Its great. One the most interesting whiskeys I've ever had anyways. It seems to be generally very well regarded.

I was at the Celtic Whiskey Shop Buffalo Trace tasting the other night so got to try six of their bourbons/whiskeys (Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, W.L Weller, Sazerac Rye, George T Stagg, E.H Taylor).

They had the E.H Taylor Four Grain which won best whiskey of the year in this year's whiskey Bible. Im not too well versed in bourbons but it was awesome. Really glad I got to try it.

Their entry level Buffalo Trace bourbon was great too, so that would be a good affordable one to try if not convinced by stuff like Bulleit and Makers Mark and the like.

What did you think of the Eagle Rare 10?

I liked it! the samples were arranged in ascending age and complexity and the Eagle Rare was more complex than the Buffalo Trace, more fruit and oak. Really liked the Rye one too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I liked it! the samples were arranged in ascending age and complexity and the Eagle Rare was more complex than the Buffalo Trace, more fruit and oak. Really liked the Rye one too.

Was at the same tasting, wasn't impressed at all overall but I'd take the eagle rare as the best of ones that were there.

I've never gotten into Bourbon to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Tried a bottle of West Cork blended bourbon casked whiskey. Yikes! Had it back to back with Bushmills and it was a sad substitution. Bourbon character seemed forced with a strong nose of low-quality Jack. Very sweet, obvious vanilla, some nut/spice, and a unrefined finish. Really better for a mixer than something quality enough to have straight. Will be slow to finish this bottle for all the wrong reasons.

Ahem... sarcasm perhaps?

I actually have nothing against anyone having whiskey with ice or mixer. I enjoy a Jameson & Coke on occasion or sometimes a whiskey on ice or with soda however, they are a different drink.

The point is that I wouldn't dream of mixing a good, expensive whiskey with anything except a tiny drop of water or else simply having it neat. If I go to the trouble and expense of buying a top shelf whiskey I want to taste, smell and experience everything it has to offer and that won't happen if I throw a load of ice into it.

It's all fine & well people saying it's their mouth and their money but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

So like I say, ice it up if you like, lash on the coke, use it to clean the jacks if it tickles your fancy! It makes no earthly difference to me but I don't have to agree with it!

Tried a bottle of West Cork blended bourbon casked whiskey. Yikes! Had it back to back with Bushmills and it was a sad substitution. Bourbon character seemed forced with a strong nose of low-quality Jack. Very sweet, obvious vanilla, some nut/spice, and a unrefined finish. Really better for a mixer than something quality enough to have straight. Will be slow to finish this bottle for all the wrong reasons.
    FWIW Bushmills is bourbon casked also. It's actually a kinda odd thing to label a whiskey as imo, as it's so standard.
    I'd guess that the harsh Jack like taste is possibly down to the really high % of grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tried the West Cork port cask. Not impressed overall and imo quite harsh on the nose and tongue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Powers John Lane - its gone down in price by 5euro.

I love it.

irish_pow7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement