Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

k99_64 wrote: »
    Powers John Lane - its gone down in price by 5euro.

I love it.

irish_pow7.jpg

It's €50 in Tesco at the moment... might have finished yesterday though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

It's €50 in Tesco at the moment... might have finished yesterday though

finishes tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Paddy and red. Can't bate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

My current favourite is Redbreast Lustau, although the 12-year-old Redbreast and Green Spot are rather nice too. I'm not a fan of Yellow Spot though - it seems a bit harsh compared to the Green Spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

odyssey06 wrote: »
    ALDI Special Reserve 4 years cask matured Irish Whiskey, €19.
    I'd be curious about the provenance.
    I just picked up the same one today, I think - the label says Irish Reserve 4yo, same price. I'm not a huge Irish whiskey drinker, but I do like the creaminess. It reminds me somewhat of John Power John's Lane, though not as strong (or pricey).

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Powers John's Lane down from 65 to 50 in Tesco till 2nd October

Picked up a bottle in Tesco Rathfarnam, one left on the shelf for anyone else looking in South Dublin City. None in Dundrum or Nutgrove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Powers John Lane - its gone down in price by 5euro.

This is probably an unpopular opinion. But I was at a whiskey tasting recently.
    Which included Green Spot, Redbreast, Powers John Lane, and Midleton.
    I was looking forward to Johns Lane, as I've heard it mentioned a lot here. And honestly, I was a little underwhelmed. The other three were superior imo, AINEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I agree. Had one if those middleton pot still sample sets with red breast 12, green spot, powers and midleton barry crocket. Out of the four powers was my least favourite.

Wailin wrote: »
    I agree. Had one if those middleton pot still sample sets with red breast 12, green spot, powers and midleton barry crocket. Out of the four powers was my least favourite.
    I seen those sets, make a nice gift. Kinda want one just to have as I have the other set of 4 unopened.

My tasting was in Midleton when I was there. I think I had the Midleton very rare, rather than the Barry Crocket though.
    Was a good tasting, the guy was sound and threw me Lustau in the bar afterwards to compare ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's a great set, yeah probably the Powers suffers in comparison to the other but still a fine whiskey.

The set is €30 in Dublin Airport or €35 in Dunnes but you can use voucher.
    The Knappogue Castle & Kilbeggan miniature sets are good too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mellor wrote: »
    I was looking forward to Johns Lane, as I've heard it mentioned a lot here. And honestly, I was a little underwhelmed. The other three were superior imo, AINEC.

Have to agree with these fine gentlemen of the four the Powers was easily the most disappointing of the contents, with the Barry Crockett being phenomenal stuff, I'd only love a bottle of that as a gift (if ms brinty is reading!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Id go with johns lane then green spot then redbreast, i just cannot equate the price of middleton with the flavor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Finished a bottle of Black Bush this evening. Only picked it up as Tesco were out of white, and and BB was on for €26.
    Not gone on it tbh. Much prefer white.
    I'll be up in the distillery in a couple of weeks so will try a couple of age statements.

Ok so maybe I'm no on my own regarding Johns Lane.
    Id go with johns lane then green spot then redbreast, i just cannot equate the price of middleton with the flavor.
    I wasn't even think in terms of price.
    But I check there and johns lane is a touch more expensive that Greenspot and Rebbreast.

Finished a bottle of Black Bush this evening. Only picked it up as Tesco were out of white, and and BB was on for €26.
    Not gone on it tbh. Much prefer white.
    I'll be up in the distillery in a couple of weeks so will try a couple of age statements.
    The 10 year is basically an aged single malt version of the white label.
    Try the 12 year too as it's only available at the distillery.

The 16 is more blackbush like with a sherry cask. But sure no harm in testing it out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Probably won't be buying this one ;)

Holy Grail of whisky' expected to fetch up to £900,000

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/1003/1000584-rarest_whisky/

Anyone here with much experience on Japanese whiskey? I have these 3 samples to try, looking forward to seeing what the Yoichi in particular has to offer. One thing I have noticed is how expensive Jap whiskey is...some 18 yr old's are 500-600 euros per bottle.

30142834777_e4e494842c_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Massive fan of the Japanese stuff. Have had the three main Suntory ones - Hakushu, Hibiki and Yamasaki, along with multiple Nikka expressions. Your three samples are all Nikkai I think, so you're in for a treat. If you like them, buy a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel, it's one of my go to "slightly premium" whiskies. Lovely stuff altogether.

Monkey Shoulder - very nice whiskey imo. not that complicated but a good single malt blend.

Just finished Jameson Black Barrel that I had for a while - completely over-rated imo - there was a lot of hoop-la over this one and it's just meh to not-that-nice. it has poor balance due to the over-aggressive finishing in the charred bourbon barrels.

apparently they changed the black barrel a couple of years ago from what they were originally selling as black barrel select reserve (very different supposedly even tho it seems to be still listed as that name on some sites). never had the very first version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

glasso wrote: »
    Just finished Jameson Black Barrel that I had for a while - completely over-rated imo - there was a lot of hoop-la over this one and it's just meh to not-that-nice. it has poor balance due to the over-aggressive finishing in the charred bourbon barrels.

Completely agree, don't get the hype for it at all. I'd go for standard Jameson over Black Barrel probably.

Completely agree, don't get the hype for it at all. I'd go for standard Jameson over Black Barrel probably.

find normal jameson a bit characterless but the caskmates IPA works well I think.

• Advertisement

Anyone here with much experience on Japanese whiskey? I have these 3 samples to try, looking forward to seeing what the Yoichi in particular has to offer. One thing I have noticed is how expensive Jap whiskey is...some 18 yr old's are 500-600 euros per bottle.

I'm big fan of the Coffey malt. Had it in a bar over here, and pick up a bottle in dublin airport for, I tihnk, €57. A steal imo. From the barrel is good too, was €32 but I decided against both. Regret it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

See a few comments here about Johns Lane, people don’t rate it against other similarly priced whiskey, Tesco extended the sale at €50, surly its worth a punt at that price? I haven’t tried it before!

dylbert wrote: »
    See a few comments here about Johns Lane, people don’t rate it against other similarly priced whiskey, Tesco extended the sale at €50, surly its worth a punt at that price? I haven’t tried it before!

Absolutely it is. The price reduction puts it well below the price of the others and I myself would definitely rate it pretty close to if not beside Redbreast and Green Spot.

I'm big fan of the Coffey malt. Had it in a bar over here, and pick up a bottle in dublin airport for, I tihnk, €57. A steal imo. From the barrel is good too, was €32 but I decided against both. Regret it now.

I tasted the Yoichi single malt last night. Very unusual to drink japanese whiskey with a touch of peat from it. Apparently they import the peat from Scotland. It was very nice but I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on a bottle when there are Scotch's as good for cheaper.

I tasted the Yoichi single malt last night. Very unusual to drink japanese whiskey with a touch of peat from it. Apparently they import the peat from Scotland. It was very nice but I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on a bottle when there are Scotch's as good for cheaper.
    Not a huge fan of peat myself. Try the Malt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nothing worse than a nice drop ruined by too much peat where it ends up tasting like TCP.

Does anyone know what the craic is with the Teeling Single Pot Still and when it's going on general release? I see Celtic Whiskey Shop have a newsletter you can sign up to get news about it. Very very interested to see what it's like and what the distillery can do with such a young whiskey. The Dingle Single Malt Batch 2 I had was a lovely complex whiskey given its young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Bought a good range of whiskeys today. To get through:

Litre of Jamesons for 25 (up north) for cocktails
    15yr old Glenfiddich
    Haig club (cos it looks interesting..)
    Glen Keith (again cheap)
    Redbreast (15yr old and 12yr old cask strength)
    Talisker storm
    Cardu gold reserve (cleared to 35 so thought I'd try)
    Glenlivet (cheap)

Bought a couple bottles of gunpowder gin as always tasty, along with tequila, and the Martell vsop they had at a ridiculous price per litre.

Will be joining existing stock of 12yr old redbreast, macallan amber, baltrothie , Laphroaig (bit peaty) and the usual powers. I'm not a fussy duck at getting beak wet!

Should do me for a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

15yr old Glenfiddich
    Glen Keith (again cheap)
    Talisker storm
    Glenlivet (cheap)

Bought a couple bottles of gunpowder gin as always tasty, along with tequila, and the Martell vsop they had at a ridiculous price per litre.

Will be joining existing stock of 12yr old redbreast, macallan amber, baltrothie , Laphroaig (bit peaty) and the usual powers. I'm not a fussy duck at getting beak wet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Corb_lund wrote: »

15yr old Glenfiddich
    Glen Keith (again cheap)
    Talisker storm
    Glenlivet (cheap)

Through the weekend at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Is the booze up north cheap enough to make it worthwhile to go up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Warper wrote:
    Is the booze up north cheap enough to make it worthwhile to go up ?

Absolutely it is
    My wife got me a 14yo balvenie which cost £42 there but it's €90 in the Celtic whiskey shop
    You'd have 20 would on 12 year old redbreast

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

dalmore-regalis ... its ok.. a little quick to finish after a sip..

http://www.themashing.com/r/181/review-dalmore-regalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Corb_lund wrote: »

15yr old Glenfiddich
    Glen Keith (again cheap)
    Talisker storm
    Glenlivet (cheap)

Did you get deals on the redbreast??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Want to try dunphys whiskey.

It's made for the American market but it's gone down so well they're selling it here for ages

Is it good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

It's made for the American market but it's gone down so well they're selling it here for ages

Is it good ?

Absolutely not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just finished a bottle of Laphroaig 10 last night. Going to head out later to replace it with something to have over the weekend. Undecided between a bottle of Connemara 12y/o or grabbing one of the Jameson Makers series.

The distillers safe is supppsed to be the best out of the jameson makers series.

Lagavulin 16 is a good one if you liked the laphroaig.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ShortKickOut

Anyone try the Proper 12? Heard its not bad but a little sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone try the Proper 12? Heard its not bad but a little sweet

Surprisingly drinkable.
    Yes, a little sweet, not terribly complex but absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Nal wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a nice drop ruined by too much peat where it ends up tasting like TCP.
    Agreed - last year I tried a Peated Speyside and didn't think the peat added anything. I could taste the whisky, and could taste the peat.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Felexicon wrote: »
    Just finished a bottle of Laphroaig 10 last night. Going to head out later to replace it with something to have over the weekend. Undecided between a bottle of Connemara 12y/o or grabbing one of the Jameson Makers series.

Go Jameson. After Laphroaig the Connemara will seem tame so best change it up altogether.

Trying the Method and Madness virgin Hungarian Oak at the minute....nice toffee notes and a solid redbreast like finish to my mind...very enjoyable indeed

Go Jameson. After Laphroaig the Connemara will seem tame so best change it up altogether.

Or go Ardbeg 10 if you wanna continue exploring peaty scotch world at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The distillers safe is supppsed to be the best out of the jameson makers series.

Lagavulin 16 is a good one if you liked the laphroaig.

The distillers reserve sold in-house is very good imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it good ?

Possibly acceptable in hot whiskeys

Better off going to Lidl/Aldi if you want a cheap whiskey.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Possibly acceptable in hot whiskeys
    Better off going to Lidl/Aldi if you want a cheap whiskey.

Actually, on that topic, does Scotch work ok in a bit whisk(e)y?

I've only ever used Irish but you can pickup bottles of Scotch for €13 - €14 euros in Lidl/Aldi/Tesco which is a fiver cheaper than any Irish I've seen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Actually, on that topic, does Scotch work ok in a bit whisk(e)y?

I've only ever used Irish but you can pickup bottles of Scotch for €13 - €14 euros in Lidl/Aldi/Tesco which is a fiver cheaper than any Irish I've seen.

You're putting cloves, lemon and hot water in it so the whiskey is pretty irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Felexicon wrote: »

Ended up going for Redbreast.
    I am not disappointed in my decision.

Picked up a bottle of the John Lane today...well worth €50 of anybody's money tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement