Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Picked up a bottle of the John Lane today...well worth €50 of anybody's money tbh.
    A tip of my cap to your niche username sir.
    Not many would know the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You're putting cloves, lemon and hot water in it so the whiskey is pretty irrelevant.

That was my first thought too but wanted to make sure that'd be enough to neutralise any lingering peaty\ashtray elements...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You're putting cloves, lemon and hot water in it so the whiskey is pretty irrelevant.

That was my first thought too but wanted to make sure that'd be enough to neutralise any lingering peaty\ashtray elements...

All but the weakest peat taste will come through. More subtle flavors will be drowned out though.

You'll also taste the diff between a malt and a pot still. I Don't drink so many hot whiskeys lately but do have the odd Irish coffee. coffee & brown/demmera sugar have strong flavors and even then the difference between Jameson and a malty whiskey is clear as day.

the difference between 2 malts or 2 pot stills is probably less detectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Sooooo, Proper 12 is last month's news....is Johnny Walker's "Game of Thrones" Whitewalker the new in whisky for Xmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sooooo, Proper 12 is last month's news....is Johnny Walker's "Game of Thrones" Whitewalker the new in whisky for Xmas?
    To be served straight from the freezer according to their marketing...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Any value to be had in a bottle of black barrel select reserve for 36e (the original green one?)Couple of Japanese bottles around Lisbon for reasonable money also I may need help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Adyx wrote: »
    To be served straight from the freezer according to their marketing...:eek:

I would like to try this whiskey but I don't have any interest in owning a bottle of it. Whiskey from the freezer is the worst way to receive a whiskey, it ruins the flavour of it. Unless they have come up with some sort of a blend that keeps the taste the same, but I doubt it.

Just throwing it out there as the title is what are we drinking this month.
    I recently had a Powers John's lane in a hotel we were staying in, it was absolutely bloody lovely.
    I have since bought 2 bottles and 1 was gone in a week. Well worth the money.

Next one i will be trying it Powers three swallow as I hear it is nicer than JL and cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Just throwing it out there as the title is what are we drinking this month.
    I recently had a Powers John's lane in a hotel we were staying in, it was absolutely bloody lovely.
    I have since bought 2 bottles and 1 was gone in a week. Well worth the money.

Next one i will be trying it Powers three swallow as I hear it is nicer than JL and cheaper too.

I dont know if U have followed this or other threads but Tesco have John's Lane for 50 and 3 swallows for 40 until 30 October.

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    I dont know if U have followed this or other threads but Tesco have John's Lane for 50 and 3 swallows for 40 until 30 October.

That's a very good price. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

IMO John's Lane is the premium Powers, Three Swallows isn't quite as good. In saying that though Three Swallows is a deadly whiskey for the price (~40e, currently less in o briens). JL definitely worth the 10e more at the current Tesco bargain price, but three swallows absolutely if looking for a change.

EDIT: Actually I'm mistaken, Three Swallows is usually closer to 50 but it is 37.50 in O Briens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

IMO John's Lane is the premium Powers, Three Swallows isn't quite as good. In saying that though Three Swallows is a deadly whiskey for the price (~40e, currently less in o briens). JL definitely worth the 10e more at the current Tesco bargain price, but three swallows absolutely if looking for a change.

EDIT: Actually I'm mistaken, Three Swallows is usually closer to 50 but it is 37.50 in O Briens.

Agreed. John's Lane is excellent stuff. Three Swallows is also really good, but not quite as good as JL.
    All the Powers range is good. I regularly pick up the Gold Label (21e in Tesco atm). Had some last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

having town branch Rye at the minute, It's a bit harsh but Kind think it suits where it comes from :P

I will have to give it a try and see. I have never been a fan of Powers until recently. Seems to be a very underrated whiskey.
    Glad I started drinking it though, its unreal :)

Agreed. John's Lane is excellent stuff. Three Swallows is also really good, but not quite as good as JL.
    All the Powers range is good. I regularly pick up the Gold Label (21e in Tesco atm). Had some last night.

I have a bottle of Gold label at home. Not opened yet as I thought it wouldn't be that good. How is it to drink on it's own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ec18 wrote: »
    having town branch Rye at the minute, It's a bit harsh but Kind think it suits where it comes from :P
    Kentucky?

What are people thought on Silkie Irish whiskey, see link below.
    https://www.sliabhliagdistillery.com/the-silkie-irish-whiskey/
    I think its is a lovely whiskey brewed in Donegal. I don't know anyone else that drinks it for some strange reason. I have also mentioned it in Irish whiskey Facebook groups, most haven't heard of it. It is about €50 a bottle so its not too expensive.
    I have been drinking it for about 2 years now and I love it!!! Very hard to find though.

I have a bottle of Gold label at home. Not opened yet as I thought it wouldn't be that good. How is it to drink on it's own?

Gold Label makes it sound fancy but it's just your standard powers blend drinking whiskey. Same as Jameson or Bushmills. Bit sweeter if you ask me.

When I lived in Ireland and needed a new bottle, I'd have bought whichever of Jameson or Powers was on offer. A practice my dad still keeps up!

Gold Label makes it sound fancy but it's just your standard powers blend drinking whiskey. Same as Jameson or Bushmills. Bit sweeter if you ask me.

When I lived in Ireland and needed a new bottle, I'd have bought whichever of Jameson or Powers was on offer. A practice my dad still keeps up!

Fair enough, see I wouldn't sit down and drink a standard Jameson on it's own. Just doesn't do anything for me. I need a nice one if I am drinking it on its own.
    I do like Jameson and ginger ale though. Only time I will drink standard Jameson. Might leave the Powers Gold label alone so, it can just sit there and look pretty in my whiskey cabinet :)

Yep it's one of the standards like Jameson or Bushmills. Personally I'd rather have Bushmills or Powers over Jameson. I like Bushmills and Powers equally. I drink both neat, and find them very palatable and warming. Powers would be creamier and a little sweeter. Bushmills or Powers would be my nightly night-cap, with higher shelf stuff reserved for weekends.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, see I wouldn't sit down and drink a standard Jameson on it's own. Just doesn't do anything for me. I need a nice one if I am drinking it on its own.
    I do like Jameson and ginger ale though. Only time I will drink standard Jameson. Might leave the Powers Gold label alone so, it can just sit there and look pretty in my whiskey cabinet :)

It's a 30e bottle of whiskey like. I wouldn't bother, just drink the stuff.

It's a 30e bottle of whiskey like. I wouldn't bother, just drink the stuff.

Agreed. In fact, between Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu, you'll never have to pay full wack for a bottle of Powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What are people thought on Silkie Irish whiskey, see link below.
    https://www.sliabhliagdistillery.com/the-silkie-irish-whiskey/
    I think its is a lovely whiskey brewed in Donegal. I don't know anyone else that drinks it for some strange reason. I have also mentioned it in Irish whiskey Facebook groups, most haven't heard of it. It is about €50 a bottle so its not too expensive.
    I have been drinking it for about 2 years now and I love it!!! Very hard to find though.

Personally I'd be fond of it but there would be bias there ;)

I think its only €40 and very drinkable. I saw reports last month that they're having trouble setting the distillery up fully in Carrick and are in limbo a litte bit. Its likely it will be nothing but the blend for several years to come.

Personally I'd be fond of it but there would be bias there ;)

I think its only €40 and very drinkable. I saw reports last month that they're having trouble setting the distillery up fully in Carrick and are in limbo a litte bit. Its likely it will be nothing but the blend for several years to come.

Is it only €40.... I have been ripped off on the 2 bottles I bought so. One I paid €50 for and the other was €55. Ah well, not the end of the world so.
    Oh really, I didn't know that about the distillery. Hopefully they get it set up because they know how to make a good whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If anyones after a nice cognac I can recommend this.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Cognac-Park/cognac-park-vsop

They do an entry level for about 35 quid too. Remys grand and all, but you're paying 20% extra for agents fees. This stuff comes in direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bit early for that?!

The Nal wrote: »
    Bit early for that?!

October? :p

You said "It's a bit harsh but Kind think it suits where it comes from" and I asked whether you meant Kentucky. I don't know whether you're confused or I am here.

You said "It's a bit harsh but Kind think it suits where it comes from" and I asked whether you meant Kentucky. I don't know whether you're confused or I am here.

I was a bit confused, I thought you were asking was it Kentucky rye.

Yes I think it does, in that it's first impressions would be if nothing subtle about it, making a mild stereotype about Kentucky people being salt of the earth etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Picked up Aberlour 12 for €28 in the UK. Sounds like the perfect drop to keep for xmas by the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Picked up Aberlour 12 for €28 in the UK. Sounds like the perfect drop to keep for xmas by the fire.

Open it now
    You'll not regret it
    I've finished a 10 and 16 year old
    Fantastic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Aberlour is lovely

Irish tears copper pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Irish tears copper pot.

What’s that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What’s that like?

Nectar, beautiful whisky.

Was in Belfast and picked up a bottle of Balvenie 17yo doublewood
    £71 up there €162.50 in Celtic whiskey shop

Irish tears copper pot.

That's Writers Tears Copper Pot I presume. Yep nectar is how I would describe it too... there's some lovely giftsets knocking around off licences with a bottle and 2 glasses for €45.

'Tears' is also the equivalent term in whiskey for 'legs' in wine i.e the dribbles that you see on the glass as you swirl around the liquid. The slower the 'tears' fade the more pot still whiskey is in the blend. At least that's what I heard at the Irish Whiskey Museum tour which is great craic informative too and you get to taste a few nice whiskeys - my tour had Tullamore Dew, Powers and Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

brinty wrote: »
    Was in Belfast and picked up a bottle of Balvenie 17yo doublewood
    £71 up there €162.50 in Celtic whiskey shop

Fup me that's a steal.

• Advertisement

Sorry, yeah, writer's tears. Not sure how I managed that.

I'll actually disagree with the two lads and that I didn't think it was great. Prefer the standard expression and the Red Head single malt.

Wailin wrote:
    Fup me that's a steal.

I know mate
    They've feck all Irish but redbreast is £31
    I'm gonna see if I can find an office online fir Middleton prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,566 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The slower the 'tears' fade the more pot still whiskey is in the blend. At least that's what I heard at the Irish Whiskey Museum tour which is great craic

That's dubious in the extreme.

Scrap the cap!

Reading up on it, and it was thought that in wine, legs was a sign of 'quality', but now it's considered more reliable to the alcohol strength of the wine.
    https://winefolly.com/tutorial/wine-legs/

So with whiskies at 40% it's not going to tell you very much.

Reading up on it, and it was thought that in wine, legs was a sign of 'quality', but now it's considered more reliable to the alcohol strength of the wine.
    https://winefolly.com/tutorial/wine-legs/

So with whiskies at 40% it's not going to tell you very much.

I don't know how long ago anyone might have thought it to be the case but I'd hazard a guess that people understood it was due to alcohol content, oh, several hundred years ago.

% of alcohol isn't going to tell you much - it's going to tell you nothing. It's certainly not going to tell you how much pot still is in a blend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the whiskey museum me the same about pot still whiskey. I think the logic was that, unmalted barkey is more oily, and they believed the tears were oily.
    In Australia, its common knowledge that the legs are indicitive of alcohol content. A lot of winery's mention it during tasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Currently at the airport in Berlin, not a lot of value to be had here except The Chita @€;35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

On my second bottle of John's Lane Release. Can't seem to make it last more than 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

On my second bottle of John's Lane Release.  Can't seem to make it last more than 2 weeks.

I caved in to all the 'peer pressure' in this thread and picked up the €50 bottle in Tesco. Have yet to crack it open, but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Got a 2hrs layover in Amsterdam last week.

Jim Beam 1L - €12
    The Famous Grouse 1L - €13

Ended up buying both.

I caved in to all the 'peer pressure' in this thread and picked up the €50 bottle in Tesco. Have yet to crack it open, but looking forward to it.

You will enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement