Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Greg81 wrote: »
    Got a 2hrs layover in Amsterdam last week.

Jim Beam 1L - €12
    The Famous Grouse 1L - €13

Ended up buying both.

Paint stripper is far cheaper in woodies fyi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Normal Grouse is awful. Any of the expressions I've tried are quite passable though, Naked and Black. Look out of those when cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Paint stripper is far cheaper in woodies fyi
    L1011 wrote: »
    Normal Grouse is awful. Any of the expressions I've tried are quite passable though, Naked and Black. Look out of those when cheap

"Winter is coming" guys. In that case it's hot whisky time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Greg81 wrote: »
    "Winter is coming" guys. In that case it's hot whisky time.
    I was talking to a colleague recently about good whiskeys and as usual Redbreast came up.
    "Would that be nice in a hot whiskey?" I was asked :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I picked up a bottle of Jameson Signature recently in a duty free. Hadnt tried it before. But its pretty good at the price range.
    It seems similar to the 12 year old but i would be far from an expert on the topic.

On that actually does anyone know when Jameson plan to start restocking the 12 y/o. Havent seen it on shelves in a while and was told recently in a Carry Out that there was a shortage on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

kiers47 wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of Jameson Signature recently in a duty free. Hadnt tried it before. But its pretty good at the price range.
    It seems similar to the 12 year old but i would be far from an expert on the topic.

On that actually does anyone know when Jameson plan to start restocking the 12 y/o. Havent seen it on shelves in a while and was told recently in a Carry Out that there was a shortage on it.

Jameson 12yo was withdrawn a couple of years ago !

sceach16 wrote: »
    Jameson 12yo was withdrawn a couple of years ago !

That's to bad. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

kiers47 wrote: »

Jameson 12y/o and Jameson Gold reserve were discontinued in 2016 I believe.
    They discontinued these to make way for all the new ones, caskmates, bold, lively etc... I am not a fan of any of the new ones.

I think it was a crazy decision to get rid of them. I was lucky I knew someone in IDL and stocked up before this happened. Still have 5 gold reserve and 4 12y/o :)

They discontinued these to make way for all the new ones, caskmates, bold, lively etc... I am not a fan of any of the new ones.

I think it was a crazy decision to get rid of them. I was lucky I knew someone in IDL and stocked up before this happened. Still have 5 gold reserve and 4 12y/o :)

Ya ive tried most of the new ones and tbh i dont think they are worth the price considering the 12 y/o was the same price if not cheaper than most of them and imo is much better.
    I think id rather just the bog standard Jameson than any of the new variations and about 30%+ cheaper.

But thank you for the info. :)

One of the problems of success is that stuff that needs a minimum age of 12 years is not available to keep up with increased retail demand 12 years after it was distilled.

Irish Distillers are moving away from age stated blends to the bold/lively series and the coopers/distillers etc.

Powers 12yo is also gone but Johns Lane is 12 yo. Incidentally when Irish Distillers keep age stated like the 18 yo, the price goes up bigtime! 200 vs 135 euro.

Japanese whiskey has the same problem but on a bigger scale ! BUT it is a problem of success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Japanese whiskey has the same problem but on a bigger scale ! BUT it is a problem of success!

Scotch too... Glenlivet replaced the 12yo with the Founders Reserve in most markets and it's a shadow of the original.

Of the non age statement Jamesons, I think the Crested when it's on offer at €25 is definitely worth picking up and paying a little more than the standard Jameson.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

brinty wrote: »
    Was in Belfast and picked up a bottle of Balvenie 17yo doublewood
    £71 up there €162.50 in Celtic whiskey shop

Where abouts did you find that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Where abouts did you find that?

Sainsbury’s at spruce field

Irish Whiskey awards 2018 winners announced...
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2018/10/18/the-irish-whiskey-awards-announce-2018-award-winners/#4487abec49d9

Irish Distillers (IDL) won the Best Irish Whiskey of the Year with the Redbreast 12-Year-Old Cask Strength. IDL also picked up medals for the Barry Crockett Legacy (Best Single Pot Still Whiskey), Jameson 18-Year-Old Bow Street (Best Irish Blended Whiskey RRP of €60/$72 or more) and several gold medals. The Teeling Whiskey Company in Dublin won Best Irish Blended Whiskey RRP of less than €60/$72 with their Teeling Small Batch and in the single grain category, a gold medal for the Teeling Single Grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Irish Whiskey awards 2018 winners announced...
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemicallef/2018/10/18/the-irish-whiskey-awards-announce-2018-award-winners/#4487abec49d9

Irish Distillers (IDL) won the Best Irish Whiskey of the Year with the Redbreast 12-Year-Old Cask Strength. IDL also picked up medals for the Barry Crockett Legacy (Best Single Pot Still Whiskey), Jameson 18-Year-Old Bow Street (Best Irish Blended Whiskey RRP of €60/$72 or more) and several gold medals. The Teeling Whiskey Company in Dublin won Best Irish Blended Whiskey RRP of less than €60/$72 with their Teeling Small Batch and in the single grain category, a gold medal for the Teeling Single Grain.

I've never tried the Redbreast 12 CS. That's me decided. I'll pick up a bottle for over Christmas.

I've never tried the Redbreast 12 CS. That's me decided. I'll pick up a bottle for over Christmas.

You will not regret it!!

I picked up a bottle of the Barry Crockett on Amazon a few months ago quite cheaply, the award is making me want to open it more now, I was waiting for a special occasion, but the seal may not remain intact over the weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I picked up a bottle of the Barry Crockett on Amazon a few months ago quite cheaply

Delivered to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Its one I've always got on the go for when I fancy something nice to sip. Think I'm on my fifth or sixth bottle in the past 3 years, whenever anyone in tge family is leaving the EU i get them to grab me a bottle in duty free. Excellent whisky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Irish Distillers (IDL) won the Best Irish Whiskey of the Year with the Redbreast 12-Year-Old Cask Strength. IDL also picked up medals for the Barry Crockett Legacy (Best Single Pot Still Whiskey)...

How do these awards work?
    Is it not odd that Redbreast 12 CS wins best overall, but didn't get a mention in either the pot still or cask strength categories?

• Advertisement

I think it won the cask strength award also did it not? EDIT: No i misread twas actually the 21 y/o cask strength that won that

ICYMI Red Spot is on the way https://potstilled.com/2018/10/20/red-spot-single-pot-still/#more-3829

I think it won the cask strength award also did it not? EDIT: No it was actually the 21 y/o cask strength that won that
    No. That was the RB 21 CS.
    The 12 win best over all. Kinda doesn't make sense. Unless whiskeys have to be entered in specific categories.

ICYMI Red Spot is on the way https://potstilled.com/2018/10/20/red-spot-single-pot-still/#more-3829[/quote]
    Hmmm. Very intrigued

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I think that's a mistake and should say 12 year old cask strength, not 21. There is no redbreast 21 cask strength, just the standard 46 ABV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    Hmmm. Very intrigued[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if there'll be Blue Spot again also, but possibly not at its old age statement as I don't see any point in undercutting Green Spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Looking for some recommendations folks. Had planned on treating myself to a bottle of Powers Johns Lane thats on offer in Tesco at the moment for €50 but just googled that Red Breast and looks to be only a little bit more expensive. Are there any other bottles in or around that price range that you guys would recommend? I normally would drink Powers or Jameson, i've tried some more expensive ones on a tasting and loved them so just wondering whats out there for around the €50-€60 price range? Thanks!

What redbreast, the cask strength? That's €90. The 12 yo is €55-60 and is very nice. Rich and spicy compared to the lighter Jameson stuff. Recommended. You could try Green spot which is around the same price. Totally different to the RB, lighter and more fruity. I prefer the RB but others prefer GS. Both good whiskies though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

My mother picked me up a bottle of Redbreast for 31STG in Sainsburys Newry during the week 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

minzabud wrote: »
    My mother picked me up a bottle of Redbreast for 31STG in Sainsburys Newry during the week 😎

Which one? A steal no matter what..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Which one? A steal no matter what..

Standard 12yr old, great saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Opened a bottle of Inishmore Whiskey Liqueur recently and was pleasantly surprised.

It is very sweet but it's a lovely honey sweetness. Very sippable and at 35% it has a good bite but non of the raw harshness an ordinary whiskey has. Managed to save about a third of it too for the cabinet until I source another bottle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Anyone here try the Method and Madness pot still finished in virgin Hungarian Oak? If so what's it like? I have the single malt finished in French Oak and it's very nice.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone here try the Method and Madness pot still finished in virgin Hungarian Oak? If so what's it like? I have the single malt finished in French Oak and it's very nice.

It's ok, but I perfer the Chestnut 2nd edition one tbh.
    The first edition Chestnut Pot still was edgy, the second one is more balanced.
    Might happen to the Hungarian one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think that's a mistake and should say 12 year old cask strength, not 21. There is no redbreast 21 cask strength, just the standard 46 ABV.

Does anyone know if they stock the 12 year old cask strength in any of the Duty Frees?

Have some coming over from the States soon and they will pick a bottle up if I ask.

Any price difference likley between duty free and buying here?

gozunda wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they stock the 12 year old cask strength in any of the Duty Frees?

Have some coming over from the States soon and they will pick a bottle up if I ask.

Any price difference likley between duty free and buying here?

You can check brands and prices on the duty free website.
    https://www.theloop.ie/c/141/the-irish-whiskey-collection

Duty Free price is €59. Full Price at the airport is €89.
    Full price with Celtic Whiskey shop or Jameon is €90.

So fairly decent saving to be made. However, there's no duty free in arrivals

It's ok, but I perfer the Chestnut 2nd edition one tbh.
    The first edition Chestnut Pot still was edgy, the second one is more balanced.
    Might happen to the Hungarian one...

Seems to be impossible to get, here in Dublin anyway and not in stock on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Seems to be impossible to get, here in Dublin anyway and not in stock on their website.

I have it , and it's not great...a bit of a harsh aftertaste...
    genuinely, if you want to spend €90 get the redbreast 12yo cask strength...
    If your heart is set in the Hungarian Oak, it will come back into stock...takes a week or 2

Midleton do 50 ml of Greenspot, John's Lane and Barry Crockett @ 35 set of four. Currently in Dunnes at 30.

Midleton have also just issued a redbreast trio...12 yo, Lustau and 15 yo for 25 Euro.

I rarely drink whiskey (discipline reasons) but I will try these various small helpings over the coming weeks.

I like the concept of tasting sizes.

Yup, bought them myself the other day.
    Very good value of you have a dunnes voucher

Midleton do 50 ml of Greenspot, John's Lane and Barry Crockett @ 35 set of four. Currently in Dunnes at 30.
    Midleton have also just issued a redbreast trio...12 yo, Lustau and 15 yo for 25 Euro.

Am a big fan of the original quartet set, I got it in airport.
    They also usually have 5 for €20 minis in airport, you can get Temple Bar, Glenfiddich, Writers Tears, Irishman, Balvenie, Teelings.

Where did you see the Redbreast trio? That's new.

Dunnes in St Stephens Green Centre is where I saw them. I presume most good offies will have them in the run up to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    Celtic whiskey have them

One for the miniature collection ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Had the new Tullamore DEW matured in carribean rum casks....it's rough, to put it mildly.

There's no subtlety to it whatsoever, it's just strong alcohol flavoured whiskey with very little aroma & a miniscule aftertaste of rum, which you would never taste unless you knew to look for it.

Cazale wrote: »
    One for the miniature collection ðŸ˜

Yeah I think so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jack Daniels, Tennessee Honey.

It's amazing what a difference the addition of honey can make to whiskey.

Even one as rough as Jack Daniels.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Jack Daniels, Tennessee Honey.

It's amazing what a difference the addition of honey can make to whiskey.

Even one as rough as Jack Daniels.

I don't understand how people drink that stuff, it tastes like it was made by Yankee Candle.

First batch of Teelings Single Pot Still is available today at Teelings distillery gift shop and from next week available online, in Celtic whiskey shop, in some independent off licences and Dublin airport. RRP is €55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Anyone tasted any of the Roe&Co ranges?

Any thoughts/opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

First batch of Teelings Single Pot Still is available today at Teelings distillery gift shop and from next week available online, in Celtic whiskey shop, in some independent off licences and Dublin airport. RRP is €55

Any idea what its like. Seems cheap for a Single Pot Still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭BobMc

Hey Guys, looking to treat myself for xmas, leaning towards Redbreast,

had lustau and the 12yr old before, was thinkig of trying the 12yr cask edition, or maybe the 15yr,

any suggestions besides?

thanks

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Any idea what its like. Seems cheap for a Single Pot Still

Being a single pot still or not shouldn't really affect the price. I'd imagine it's cheap because it's a young whiskey at 3 years old. I've read that there's good reports on it so far. It's aged in a mix of virgin oak, ex bourbon and ex wine barrels. Dingle make fantastic 3 year old whiskeys at a higher price point but Teelings are a bigger operation of course so that'll reflect in the pricing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement