Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Being a single pot still or not shouldn't really affect the price. I'd imagine it's cheap because it's a young whiskey at 3 years old. I've read that there's good reports on it so far. It's aged in a mix of virgin oak, ex bourbon and ex wine barrels. Dingle make fantastic 3 year old whiskeys at a higher price point but Teelings are a bigger operation of course so that'll reflect in the pricing.

Might get 2 bottles so! One for keeps and one for sippin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

BobMc wrote: »
    Hey Guys, looking to treat myself for xmas, leaning towards Redbreast,

had lustau and the 12yr old before, was thinkig of trying the 12yr cask edition, or maybe the 15yr,

any suggestions besides?

thanks

Between the 12 CS and 15 I would choose the 12. 15 lovely and mellow but 12 CS more intense and interesting. If you can stretch to the 21 then go for it. Lovely whiskey altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hogzy wrote: »
    Might get 2 bottles so! One for keeps and one for sippin!

Picked one up over lunch in the gift shop, limited there ATM to 1 per person.

Rew wrote: »
    Picked one up over lunch in the gift shop, limited there ATM to 1 per person.

Im just back, I only got the one bottle. I wonder was that you in front of me in the que. Do you have a beard by chance? (not exactly narrowing it down to be fair)

Im just back, I only got the one bottle. I wonder was that you in front of me in the que. Do you have a beard by chance? (not exactly narrowing it down to be fair)

Im (very) unshaven but not a beard. I was there about ~1.30, had to put the 2nd bottle back and didn't take my receipt coz the printer ran out if any of that narrows it down :D

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Im (very) unshaven but not a beard. I was there about ~1.30, had to put the 2nd bottle back and didn't take my receipt coz the printer ran out if any of that narrows it down :D

No I was in there around 2pm give or take 5mins.

The fact that 6,000 bottles have been released in the first batch probably wont mean the value will creep up all that much to be honest so I probably dont need the second bottle. Ill just crack this one open!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Wasn’t me but it was my bottle he was buying!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Proper 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Proper 12
    Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Picked up a bottle of redbreast 12yo cask strength on the way home, buy too sick to even taste it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

It'll work like medicine! I've said it here before, but it's hands down my favourite whisky that I've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 yesterday, looking forward to trying a few samples this evening.

Powers John's Lane followed by Johnny Walker Blue...a fantastically smooth dram

No I was in there around 2pm give or take 5mins.

The fact that 6,000 bottles have been released in the first batch probably wont mean the value will creep up all that much to be honest so I probably dont need the second bottle. Ill just crack this one open!

Its really nice, really enjoyed a glass last night have doing a big DIY job all day in the freezing and rain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

a fantastically smooth dram

Did you not get the memo. We're not using dram anymore. :pac:

limnam wrote: »
    Did you not get the memo. We're not using dram anymore. :pac:

A snifter?

€240 for the Jameson Bow St. 18! For a blend?! Redbreast 21 is €180, older and pot still, no blend. I think Jameson are aiming for collectors with this one. Anyone considering getting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

A blend doesn't mean it's better or worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I think we will see more blends and less age statements as demand outstrips the supply of older stock.

A blend doesn't mean it's better or worse?

No...but blends are generally cheaper than single malts, pot still etc. €240 is a lot when you can get a 25 year old single malt for similar price.

• Advertisement

Aye but that one seems to be a blend of two 18 year old whiskeys from same distillery, quite different than your bog standard inexpensive ones!

It's a blend of 18 yr old pot still and grain whiskey! Not something I'd spend €240 on when I can get 3 red breast 12 cask strength for almost the same price. I've seen a video of one guy saying it's comparable to Jameson black barrel.

But, if santa gets me one for Christmas I won't complain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wailin wrote: »
    No...but blends are generally cheaper than single malts, pot still etc
    Blends are cheaper on average because they include cheap blends - iecheap whiskey with decent whiskey to produce something passable.
    But assuming from there that a blends should be cheaper then single malts in general is pretty bad logic imo.
    €240 is a lot when you can get a 25 year old single malt for similar price.
    What’s the relevance of the single malt part?

25yr Single malt, 25yr Blended malt, 25yr pot still, 25yr Blend.
    Neither of the above are inherently superior to the others.
    It's a blend of 18 yr old pot still and grain whiskey! Not something I'd spend €240 on when I can get 3 red breast 12 cask strength for almost the same price.
    12 year verses 18 year hardly a fair comparison though. You’d expect it to be more expensive. The 21 is closer in price, still cheaper but compared to similar whiskeys Redbreast is probably slightly lower priced (or older depending on how you look at it). An example being Redbreast 12 and Greenspot. RRP is similar, Greenspot is 8-10 year.

Midleton Dair Ghaelach is a blend of 15-22 year old whiskeys and costs €260. If we guess it’s an 18 year old on average, it’s a similar price point to the Bow St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bushmills
    As, I, type

Quick question to the thread.
    There are a few different ways to answer this, not looking for right/wrong answers per se, just wondering what comes to mind (and need people clued in about whiskey to answer).

What, in your opinion, are definitive and fundamental ingredients in whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Water,yeast and barley. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

€240 for the Jameson Bow St. 18! For a blend?! Redbreast 21 is €180, older and pot still, no blend. I think Jameson are aiming for collectors with this one. Anyone considering getting it?

Bow St edition is a cask strength version of the 18yo,it's 55% abv compared to 40% in the standard 18yo. Personally I'd take the RB21 over it but the Bow St 18yo is beautiful and probably worth the money where as the standard 18yo was repackaged and bumped up €70,not worth that price now.

Mellor wrote: »
    Blends are cheaper on average because they include cheap blends - iecheap whiskey with decent whiskey to produce something passable.
    But assuming from there that a blends should be cheaper then single malts in general is pretty bad logic imo.

No need for the little whisky lesson, I get why blends are cheaper and in some cases (MVR) expensive. But you missed my point. It's an 18 yo blended whiskey. For €240. No 18 yo is worth that. Scotch 18 yo (since there is no Irish 18) are priced from 80-120 on average. But if you think €240 is an appropriate price for an 18 year old blend then that is pretty bad logic imo.

What’s the relevance of the single malt part?

25yr Single malt, 25yr Blended malt, 25yr pot still, 25yr Blend.
    Neither of the above are inherently superior to the others.

A 25 year old single malt is far superior to an 18 year old blend imo. Especially for the same price. Not rocket science.
    12 year verses 18 year hardly a fair comparison though. You’d expect it to be more expensive.

Three times more expensive? You mentioned logic earlier and apparently you've abandoned it completely.

You mentioned midleton Dair Ghaelach. The price of that can be justified since it spent the last year in virgin Irish oak. I'd imagine the cost of felling the trees, having them quarter sawn and sent to Spain to be made into casks specifically for that whiskey would be very high indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Felexicon

A 25 year old single malt is far superior to an 18 year old blend imo. Especially for the same price. Not rocket science.

Three times more expensive? You mentioned logic earlier and apparently you've abandoned it completely.

1. It all comes down to preference though. If there are 2 whiskeys equally priced and I know I prefer the 18yo I'll go for that every time. Now I don't have €240 lying around spare for whiskey so if both were unknown to me, curiosity would push me to the 21yo.

2. Again I think this depends on the funds you have for whiskey on a regular basis. I would personally go for t 3 bottles over 1.

• Advertisement

Yes of course, it comes down to personal preference as you say.

But justifying that price point of an 18 year old whisky is mind boggling!

I have had some lovely blended whiskies so am not against blends. Have had 3 vintages of MVR and on 2017, plus have dair ghaelach yet to open.

An 18 year old whisky is still an 18 year old whisky, no matter how the marketing team butter it up (and a great job they do).

Quick question to the thread.
    There are a few different ways to answer this, not looking for right/wrong answers per se, just wondering what comes to mind (and need people clued in about whiskey to answer).

What, in your opinion, are definitive and fundamental ingredients in whiskey?

Water, malted grains (naturally a preference towards barley for me but I'm not snobby or uneducated enough to think that it HAS to be Barley), and aroma and colour absorbed from the barrel.

As for the "no blended whiskey is worth that much" argument, it's complete and utter nonsense. It's supply and demand. Your 240e blend can't just be grabbed off the shelf in SuperValu like MVR. It is aged and comparatively hard to get your hands on, therefore it is expensive.

Anyone who cries "it's a blend therefore it's 'worse' than a pot still or a single malt by default" doesn't have a clue what they're on about.

No need for the little whisky lesson, I get why blends are cheaper and in some cases (MVR) expensive. But you missed my point. It's an 18 yo blended whiskey. For €240. No 18 yo is worth that.
    I didn't miss the point. If you think no 18 is ever worth that, that fine
    But you keep repeating thatbits abs 18yo blended whiskey. I'm pointing out that the blended part is irrelevant.

Scotch 18 yo (since there is no Irish 18) are priced from 80-120 on average. But if you think €240 is an appropriate price for an 18 year old blend then that is pretty bad logic
    What is bad logic? There no logic quoted there???

The Jamison 18 year old is 200 not 240. The 240 is for the cask strength version.
    In its previous iteration it was about 100. It's almost as if age is one of many variables.
    It probably is, but not actually relevant to what I said. :confused:
    How have I abandoned logic?
    Most of what you are saying is irrelevant to my point tbh. I'm not (and was never) arguing that the Bow St CS is worth €240. I wouldn't make that case without at least trying tbh.
    I'm pointing out that the fact it's a blend is irrelevant to whether or not it's worth it..

You mentioned midleton Dair Ghaelach. The price of that can be justified since it spent the last year in virgin Irish oak. I'd imagine the cost of felling the trees, having them quarter sawn and sent to Spain to be made into casks specifically for that whiskey would be very high indeed.
    The DG was just an example of an expensive drop that's not particularly old. To highlight that age is only one factor.
    The Virgin oak shouldn't really add much expense tbh. All casks were once trees. Every cheap bourbon uses virgin oak. The up front costs, are recooped in the resale.
    DG costs is down to its curated nature, the relatively high attention it gets compared to a random whiskey.

Ok let's just put this one to rest shall we :< I personally think it's too expensive for an 18 yo.

On another note, rumours of red spot 15 year old soon to be released according to this article:

https://www.irishmalts.com/blog/irish-distillers-set-to-launch-red-spot-n3

Definitely one to look forward to.

On another note, rumours of red spot 15 year old soon to be released according to this article:

That article is a bit out of date; they've updated the final labeling and set a rough launch date. First public debut is at this year's Whiskey Live Dublin. Tickets for that were selling well so nabbed a ticket the other day. Red Spot will be No. 1 on the sampling list!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bottled of Greenspot for £24 delivered thanks to some moaning to amazon after a previous order

That article is a bit out of date; they've updated the final labeling and set a rough launch date. First public debut is at this year's Whiskey Live Dublin. Tickets for that were selling well so nabbed a ticket the other day. Red Spot will be No. 1 on the sampling list!

Ooh bottled at 46% and non chill filtered...yes please! Guessing around the €100 mark probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully similar to Redbreast 15 in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

RasTa wrote: »
    Hopefully similar to Redbreast 15 in price

The blog post above is suggesting it will be

It says it will be priced "premium" to Redbreast 15, so I'd say 120 at the least.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Water,yeast and barley. That's it.
    As I said, not looking for right or wrong answers Just opinions.
    The above is obviously correct. There are other ways to look at too. Like the below.
    Water, malted grains (naturally a preference towards barley for me but I'm not snobby or uneducated enough to think that it HAS to be Barley), and aroma and colour absorbed from the barrel.

There is a reason behind this btw. ;)

Ok let's just put this one to rest shall we :< I personally think it's too expensive for an 18 yo.

As I said, wasn't arguing it was worth it, was purely aboutthe blended part.. I've never tried it, so little to go on.
    If I was buying an irish whiskey for 200+, I'd be more inclined to go Barry Crocket or Dair Ghaelach tbh.
    It says it will be priced "premium" to Redbreast 15, so I'd say 120 at the least.
    Depends how you look at it.
    Yellowspot is more expensive to Redbreast 12 - though 12 year olds. So by that measure the spots are more premium and €120 makes sense.
    On the other hand, The RB12 to RB15 is a relatively big price jump. The GS to YS is only €20 and a similar age increase as YS to RS, so could be closer to €100.

Split the difference. €110 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I have got both of them in already. Very nice addition to the collection :)

If I was buying an irish whiskey for 200+, I'd be more inclined to go Barry Crocket or Dair Ghaelach tbh.

I've tasted the Barry Crocket in the middleton mini set, very nice but all of that set were very nice. It really is a great mini set for the price.

For me it was BC, followed by RB12, GS and Powers last.

I have got both of them in already. Very nice addition to the collection :)

RB 21 is something else, great choice. Will you drink the Jameson or just have it as part of a collection?

RB 21 is something else, great choice. Will you drink the Jameson or just have it as part of a collection?

I got it for the collection for now, but you never know what will happen in a few years :) I may decide to open it. I got the Cask Strength version, I am thinking of getting the normal version now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Stopped off at Sainsbury's in Newry on the way home from Bushmills over the weekend.

Picked up:

Redbreast 12 - £31
    Highland Park 12 - £26
    Chivas 12 - £20

Some good savings to be had.

Stopped off at Sainsbury's in Newry on the way home from Bushmills over the weekend.

Picked up:

Redbreast 12 - £31
    Highland Park 12 - £26
    Chivas 12 - £20

Some good savings to be had.

Interesting, they are quite good savings.
    I will have to check it out next time I am up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Interesting, they are quite good savings.
    I will have to check it out next time I am up North.

Couple had a few quid off as part of a special they're doing.
    But overall, definitely worth the time to drop in if passing.

As I said, not looking for right or wrong answers Just opinions.
    The above is obviously correct. There are other ways to look at too. Like the below.

There is a reason behind this btw. ;)

There's so many tiny factors that affect the final matured whiskey that its fascinating. The make-up of the distillate that goes into the cask is so important. Recently I got the chance to taste two of the high proof distillates that they use in Midleton. One was from a still that they use for Jameson stuff and one was from a still they use for Redbreast. The size and shape of the still used for distillation has such a big effect on how it tastes. Then each one is going to react with the wood differently, and will react to the elements when being matured differently and so on. Not even mentioning things like where the water and barley is sourced from. I think the tour guides in Teelings say that the taste of a whiskey is 60/40 distillate/barrel. Not sure how accurate that is. Maybe it skews more barrel for more aged whiskeys.
    Depends how you look at it.
    Yellowspot is more expensive to Redbreast 12 - though 12 year olds. So by that measure the spots are more premium and €120 makes sense.
    On the other hand, The RB12 to RB15 is a relatively big price jump. The GS to YS is only €20 and a similar age increase as YS to RS, so could be closer to €100.

Split the difference. €110 ;)

Aye yeah could be indeed. Cheaper the better is what everyone is hoping though of course :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement