Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

The Red Spot will be retailing at €115. Pretty much what people were guessing.
    And now some bonus info. M&Sons will also be releasing a limited edition Green Spot single cask pot still, retailing at €195.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The Red Spot will be retailing at €115. Pretty much what people were guessing.
    And now some bonus info. M&Sons will also be releasing a limited edition Green Spot single cask pot still, retailing at €195.

What's so good about it that it can get away with increasing the cost by 135? Genuinely asking, as usually limited editions are maybe a €10-20 surplus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What's so good about it that it can get away with increasing the cost by 135? Genuinely asking, as usually limited editions are maybe a €10-20 surplus

Meant to say it’s Cask Strength, but yes even at that it’s a bit pricey.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Meant to say it’s Cask Strength, but yes even at that it’s a bit pricey.

Yea I think I'd get a Midleton very rare & pocket the change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Yea I think I'd get a Midleton very rare & pocket the change

Yeah, where half your money goes into a box and the other into a whiskey designed to please people who don't like whiskey.

Cracking idea. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

And it's a blend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Bought a caskmates stout today... lovely whiskey... €24 in dunnes after the voucher...

Had my bushmills 10 at the weekend... bit dissappointed. Think i'd prefer blackbush... i bought two bottles of the 10. I bought in dunnes @ 28 per bottle, would have been more pissed off if i paid €40 + very little colour or body/taste

Definitely at the pricepoints Blachbush is great value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Wailin wrote:
    And it's a blend

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wailin wrote: »
    I've tasted the Barry Crocket in the middleton mini set, very nice but all of that set were very nice. It really is a great mini set for the price.

For me it was BC, followed by RB12, GS and Powers last.
    I did a sit down tasting in Midleton, didn't try the BC, but I put the other three in the same order as you. So chances are Im not going to dislike the BC.

I think the tour guides in Teelings say that the taste of a whiskey is 60/40 distillate/barrel. Not sure how accurate that is. Maybe it skews more barrel for more aged whiskeys.
    That's kinda the angle I'd be looking at.
    Water/grain/yeast are the raw ingredients. But the barrel adds at least as much flavour itself.

Anyway, reason I was asking is because we are potentially designing a whisky bar in work. I wanted to push the idea that whiskey has 4 ingredients, as opposed to just water, barely yeast. Without the wood you just make vodka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You only need to taste the likes of Kavalan aged in sherry casks to realise the effect that the barrels can have on a whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mellor wrote: »
    Anyway, reason I was asking is because we are potentially designing a whisky bar in work. I wanted to push the idea that whiskey has 4 ingredients, as opposed to just water, barely yeast. Without the wood you just make vodka.

Oh aye I was more coming from the angle that whiskey isn't just all the wood, which is what I always would've thought.

Some amazing whiskeys out there aged or finished in interesting casks. Green Spot Leo, Glendalough Mizunara and Dunvilles Three Crowns Peated being some fine Irish examples I've had. I reckon stocking up the whiskey bar with stuff like that and port and sherry cask aged etc stuff would be a nice smorgasbord of flavours to try.

Oh aye I was more coming from the angle that whiskey isn't just all the wood, which is what I always would've thought.
    Of course, definitely not all the wood.
    Look at the heavy peated scotches from Islay. Not a flavour I like personally, but completely unmissable. Comes from one of the earliest process before the malt has be mashed.

I was at a distillery last night. Not far from my place. They are relatively new, so their first whiskeys are still maturing in barrels and they are mostly selling their gins now. But they also sell a malt “new make” and “white rye”. Basically unaged distillate. I’d be keen to try them alongside the aged versions once they are ready to see how the barrel influences it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

limnam wrote: »
    Yeah, where half your money goes into a box and the other into a whiskey designed to please people who don't like whiskey.

Cracking idea. :pac:

I would disagree there, I have a lot of different years of MVR in the collection and I have one open I drink quite regularly. Its a lovely whiskey and I am a massive whiskey drinker.

RasTa wrote: »
    Bottled of Greenspot for £24 delivered thanks to some moaning to amazon after a previous order

Using Parcel motel or something?

Of course, definitely not all the wood.
    Look at the heavy peated scotches from Islay. Not a flavour I like personally, but completely unmissable. Comes from one of the earliest process before the malt has be mashed.

I was at a distillery last night. Not far from my place. They are relatively new, so their first whiskeys are still maturing in barrels and they are mostly selling their gins now. But they also sell a malt “new make” and “white rye”. Basically unaged distillate. I’d be keen to try them alongside the aged versions once they are ready to see how the barrel influences it.

The biggest influence on how a whiskey tastes would be the grain type used, followed by the casks.

You can always get the flavour profile of a pure pot still, no matter what type of barrel it's finished in (sherry, madeira etc), same with single malt or grain.

The smallest details affect the final flavour, down to where the water is sourced to even the strain of yeast used.

One of the reasons why I love the Islay whiskys is you get a real sense of the landscape where it comes from. No other whisky in the world does that! The bog water, briney sea air and raggy peat smoke. You're actually tasting the earth.

But yeah, I can also understand why a lot of people think it's cack too!

• Advertisement

I would disagree there, I have a lot of different years of MVR in the collection and I have one open I drink quite regularly. Its a lovely whiskey and I am a massive whiskey drinker.

Well that's the theory debunked.

Whiskey drinker in "I like middleton" shocker.

I think the Midleton distillery may have expanded onto Limnams back garden or something, based on the irrational hatred. Plus until 2017 the box would have cost like 10 quid.

I'd definitely find a 135 quid increase to a 60 quid whiskey for the sake of maybe 10-15% strength a lot more offensive.

I think the Midleton distillery may have expanded onto Limnams back garden or something, based on the irrational hatred. Plus until 2017 the box would have cost like 10 quid.

I'd definitely find a 135 quid increase to a 60 quid whiskey for the sake of maybe 10-15% strength a lot more offensive.

I'll try to add more :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: in posts in not to offend anyone..:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's awful early in the day to be discussing whiskey so passionately lads.

But shur I might as well throw in my tuppence worth.

I opened a bottle of Abrachan blended malt scotch last night and it is absolutely beautiful and smooth and I say that as someone not overly fond of whisky.

I'd love to see how it would compare with really expensive whisky in a blind taste test because I've tasted quite a few of those and I reckon none would match this.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It's awful early in the day to be discussing whiskey so passionately lads.

But shur I might as well throw in my tuppence worth.

I opened a bottle of Abrachan blended malt scotch last night and it is absolutely beautiful and smooth and I say that as someone not overly fond of whisky.

I'd love to see how it would compare with really expensive whisky in a blind taste test because I've tasted quite a few of those and I reckon none would match this.

I wouldn't get caught up on things like price.

Often the price has absolutely no relation to what's actually in the bottle.

Looking back a few years ago a cheap bottle from sainsburys i think was retailing under 20 pounds think it was cooley was jim murrays whiskey of the year form a guy tasting thousands of whiskeys a year. That's pretty impressive.

Often you'll hear people asking about say a 120e bottle is it 4 times better than a 30e bottle. Or why is bottle X Y amount of euro's more expensive.

Like any "premium" products large increase in price is generally a very small increase in quality/taste etc if any at all

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I bought the same (the triple oak at least) in Lidl the other day just to see what it was like for 20 quid, and to have something for mixed drinks. It's okay. Decent for the price and I've certainly had way worse scotches (Bells, Black and White come to mind) but it wouldn't be a patch on scotches that are even at the ~40e mark imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Funnily enough I bought the same (the triple oak at least) in Lidl the other day just to see what it was like for 20 quid, and to have something for mixed drinks. It's okay. Decent for the price and I've certainly had way worse scotches (Bells, Black and White come to mind) but it wouldn't be a patch on scotches that are even at the ~40e mark imo.

I've got a handy selection of scotch in the cabinet including Bennachie 21, 17 and 10 year old pure malt, 9 year old Aberlour single malt, 10 yr old Pitlochry, 12 yr old Chivas Regal, 15 yr old Haigs Dimple and a rake of others that I've collected over the years and not one of them comes close to the Abrachan in my opinion.

But that is just my opinion and I am not a big fan of Whisky.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Often you'll hear people asking about say a 120e bottle is it 4 times better than a 30e bottle. Or why is bottle X Y amount of euro's more expensive.

There was some lad trying to make that exact claim here a few months back.

There was some lad trying to make that exact claim here a few months back.

I have seen/heard a lot of people ask this question across different Facebook groups, out in the pub, on brewery tours etc...
    It annoys me a bit to be honest. Like in the context of taste for example, you might have an open bottle of whiskey worth €300 and another you paid €50 for and you might like the €50 one a lot more taste wise. The next person might be the opposite way around.
    However you might like the look of the €300 one in your collection more than the €50 one.
    It's a question that has different answers based on what context you are asking the question. But every person might have a different answer for you.

picachu wrote: »
    Had my bushmills 10 at the weekend... bit dissappointed. Think i'd prefer blackbush... i bought two bottles of the 10. I bought in dunnes @ 28 per bottle, would have been more pissed off if i paid €40 + very little colour or body/taste

Definitely at the pricepoints Blachbush is great value

Blackbush is one of the best price/value ratio whiskies out there imo

and yes the Bushmills 10 is very disappointing - no real character to it.

I have seen/heard a lot of people ask this question across different Facebook groups, out in the pub, on brewery tours etc...
    It annoys me a bit to be honest. Like in the context of taste for example, you might have an open bottle of whiskey worth €300 and another you paid €50 for and you might like the €50 one a lot more taste wise. The next person might be the opposite way around.
    However you might like the look of the €300 one in your collection more than the €50 one.
    It's a question that has different answers based on what context you are asking the question. But every person might have a different answer for you.

Yea pound for pound I find it hard to beat the Jameson caskmates stout. On offer in tesco for 25 occasionally. But if this thread was about sound financial logic, we'd be putting the price of a bottle of whiskey into the pension instead.

Yea pound for pound I find it hard to beat the Jameson caskmates stout. On offer in tesco for 25 occasionally. But if this thread was about sound financial logic, we'd be putting the price of a bottle of whiskey into the pension instead.

It's not bad but if you haven't try the IPA version. I prefer that one.

Nah stout version is king. The chocolatey notes are way more suitable for a whiskey.

glasso wrote: »

I was really looking forward to trying the Ipa bit was very disappointed.. maybe they should have partnered with McGargles for thd Ipa..

I was really looking forward to trying the Ipa bit was very disappointed.. maybe they should have partnered with McGargles for thd Ipa..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The IPA one is very nice but I don't get any IPA profile from it.
    At least with the stout one, you can taste the stout.

Yes it's not that it's an IPA taste per se, I just like the overall taste profile more than the stout one. It's like Jameson but with a sophisticated bite to it

Yes it's not that it's an IPA taste per se, I just like the overall taste profile more than the stout one. It's like Jameson but with a sophisticated bite to it

I have both in the cupboard & really dislike the IPA version, I actively dislike IPA's though, so my opinion on IPA infused whiskey should be somewhat tempered.

I didn't mind the stout castmates. Didnt try the IPA one. But wasnt a big fan of the red ale one.

I didn't mind the stout castmates. Didnt try the IPA one. But wasnt a big fan of the red ale one.

Red ale one? Never heard of that

Young Henrys. They made a red ale finished in old Jameson barrels. Then sent the barrels back to Ireland to finish off a batch of cask mates.

Me neither. Isn't it just the stout and IPA caskmate?

Edit: must be rare, never heard of that at all.

Young Henrys. They made a red ale finished in old Jameson barrels. Then sent the barrels back to Ireland to finish off a batch of cask mates.

Huh, googled it there, seems to have been specific to the Australian market. Would have liked to have tried it if it was here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Huh, googled it there, seems to have been specific to the Australian market. Would have liked to have tried it if it was here.

Is that the Captain Lawrence stuff?

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Blogs/Eat-Drink-Post/March-2017/Caskmates-Jameson-and-Captain-Lawrence-Team-Up/

Picked up a bottle of the Powers 12 year old John Lane in Tesco. Was down to €50. Have seen some good reviews online saying it’s similar to redbreast but haven’t tried it yet. Any opinions?

Personally prefer redbreast but others prefer the powers. It's a well regarded whiskey either way. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Is there any science or theory that goes into half of these things or is just for the craic of how "out there" it can be?

Jameson barrel (so presumably old bourbon barrel) used for ale which is then used for more Jameson? Mad, Ted.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Is that the Captain Lawrence stuff?

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Blogs/Eat-Drink-Post/March-2017/Caskmates-Jameson-and-Captain-Lawrence-Team-Up/

Picked up a bottle of the Powers 12 year old John Lane in Tesco. Was down to €50. Have seen some good reviews online saying it’s similar to redbreast but haven’t tried it yet. Any opinions?

I love the power's. It is one of the nicest reasonably priced whiskeys out there. But Red Breat is also very nice. I prefer the Power's though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

To (I think) complete the set for anyone interested, as well as the American Captain Lawrence Caskmates and the Australian Young Henry's one, there was also a UK one with Beavertown.

The Irish Caskmates bottles don't name the brewery, though the boxes do. I'd always thought there was some sort of restriction on the use of Franciscan Well's name by Molson Coors, but I think I can see now it's so that Pernod Ricard aren't committed to which Irish brewery they're involved with: your bottle of Caskmates might have used Franciscan Well beer barrels, or Eight Degrees ones, or a blend of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

IDL have bought 8 Degrees though haven't they? Was the stout ever actually named as being from Franciscan Well? It is superior to the IPA in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Adyx wrote: »
    Was the stout ever actually named as being from Franciscan Well?
    Ah yeah.

Wailin wrote: »
    Me neither. Isn't it just the stout and IPA caskmate?

Edit: must be rare, never heard of that at all.

Didn't realize it was specific to Australia.
    Is there any science or theory that goes into half of these things or is just for the craic of how "out there" it can be?

Jameson barrel (so presumably old bourbon barrel) used for ale which is then used for more Jameson? Mad, Ted.
    It makes sense to me. It's not uncommon for strong beers to be finished in oak. Why not used former whiskey barrel to borrow some of those flavours.
    The Red Ale ended up at 7.6%

Finishing whiskey is a dark beer barrel is not much different to sherry, oloroso, red wine, port barrels. Using the same barrel for both is obviously just good marketing but I think the underlying technique is sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Tesco have the Jameson Whiskey Maker series (Blenders Dog, Cooper etc) reduced to 55 euro, worth a go at that price point?

jh79 wrote: »
    Tesco have the Jameson Whiskey Maker series (Blenders Dog, Cooper etc) reduced to 55 euro, worth a go at that price point?

Yeah that's a decent discount from €70. Had a taste of the distillers safe recently. Nice but not worth the premium over more affordable jamesons. Redbreast or greenspot nicer and cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know where the names Distiller's Safe and Cooper's Croze come from, but Blender's Dog?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement