Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

I know where the names Distiller's Safe and Cooper's Croze come from, but Blender's Dog?

The long spoon thing used to sample casks. Was by the blenders side like a dog would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Cooper's Croze is very tasty. Haven't had the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jh79 wrote: »
    The long spoon thing used to sample casks. Was by the blenders side like a dog would be.

Similar to or different from this?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Similar to or different from this?

After seeing that tesco reduced the price i was googling reviews and was paraphrasing from them. Only discovered the reason for the name 5 minutes before i saw your post. I got lucky haven't a clue about the process.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Cooper's Croze is very tasty. Haven't had the others.

Blenders Dog would be my pick of the 3, followed by Coopers Croze which is nice and then Distillers Safe being meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

The new Teeling Single Pot Still - I don't see any age statement - any ideas on how old it is?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

.QUOTE=picachu;108554153]The new Teeling Single Pot Still - I don't see any age statement - any ideas on how old it is?[/QUOTE]

"According to this it was aged for over three years...
    https://teelingwhiskey.com/2018/09/t...d-new-whiskey/"

By law,Irish Whiskey must be a minimum of 3 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The distillery is only three years old so it's gonna be somewhere just over the three year mark.

I had a few sups of it over the weekend. It's quite nice. I think I prefer it to any of the Cooley distilled Teelings Ive had anyways.

sceach16 wrote: »
    I know but it's pointing out that it is not produced under contract by someone else and aged for 8 years or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Distilled in 2015. So 3 years, the minimum required for it to be called a whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

sceach16 wrote:

3 years and a day to be pedantic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Cazale wrote: »
    No, 3 years. I think the "and a day" bit is something tour guides like to say but it has no basis in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BeerNut wrote: »
    No, 3 years. I think the "and a day" bit is something tour guides like to say but it has no basis in law.

I heard we have Lloyd George to thank for that. During WW1 he couldnt get away with total prohibition of spirits so he brought in the 3 year rule knowing well it would lead to a drop in whisky to sell.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I heard we have Lloyd George to thank for that. During WW1 he couldnt get away with total prohibition of spirits so he brought in the 3 year rule knowing well it would lead to a drop in whisky to sell.
    Nah, the Act is from 1980. The debate in the Oireachtas was quite entertaining, with all the serious whiskey drinkers coming out of the woodwork to make sure the government wasn't going to mess with their tipple of choice.
    Section 1 (3) (b) deals with the maturity of whiskey. All whiskey distilled here is retained in wooden casks in warehouses for a minimum period of five years before it is let on to the market. In this Bill we have a period of not less than three years. I do not think that is wise. The Minister should ensure that a minimum period of five years is set out in the Bill. I have spoken to people who have taken whiskey which had been distilled for approximately three years. I believe that such whiskey can be dangerous and is rough whiskey to drink. The people I have spoken to maintain that because it is a rough whiskey it will put people off drinking it. It is very important to extend the three-year period in the Bill to a minimum period of five years.

Does that mean before 1980 you could sell 1yo whiskey here? Anyone care to offer a review...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The three year rule came in as an Act of the UK Parliament in 1915 though. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1915/46/enacted
    ) No British or foreign spirits shall be delivered for Restriction on home consumption unless they have been warehoused for a
    period of at least three years:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also set the 40% with the 37.5 minimum allowed for vodka etc being an EU ruling, unless I've imagined all that!

irish_goat wrote: »
    The three year rule came in as an Act of the UK Parliament in 1915 though. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1915/46/enacted
    Ahh, OK. Apols, odyssey06. Ireland in her infinite wisdom fixed that mistake by making it five years in 1947.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ahh, OK. Apols, odyssey06. Ireland in her infinite wisdom fixed that mistake by making it five years in 1947.

So it went from 3 years in 1915 to 5 years in 1947 and then back to 3 in 1980?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    You will not regret it!!

I picked up a bottle of the Barry Crockett on Amazon a few months ago quite cheaply, the award is making me want to open it more now, I was waiting for a special occasion, but the seal may not remain intact over the weekend :D

Well the seal did last that weekend, but had a good reason to crack it open last night. Beautiful stuff.
    Good pot still character, nice mouth coating feeling, bit of spice, but not too much. Starts fruity and has a lovely long toffee finish. Delish :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Well the seal did last that weekend, but had a good reason to crack it open last night. Beautiful stuff.
    Good pot still character, nice mouth coating feeling, bit of spice, but not too much. Starts fruity and has a lovely long toffee finish. Delish :D

I'm jealous as can be and if you'd a good reason makes it even better

So it went from 3 years in 1915 to 5 years in 1947 and then back to 3 in 1980?
    Looks like it. That certainly seems to be the reason for Deputy Enright's dismay.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Ah I really want to open my bottle too. I am trying to find it somewhere to try it. Somewhere that doesn't charge a bloody fortune for a measure.

Just buy the midleton mini set which has it. Three other nice whiskeys to taste as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wailin wrote:
    Just buy the midleton mini set which has it. Three other nice whiskeys to taste as well.

Didn't like the powers in that set,love the other three though

Whiskey (& Gin) sale in O'Briens starts today :)
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Whiskey (& Gin) sale in O'Briens starts today :)
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

The Jameson Makers Series 3X20cl is great value at €55

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Cazale wrote: »

How are they pricing themselves at the same pricepoint as Redbreast... 3 yr old v 12 yr old

Yep, complete rip off to be fair. But it's down to marketing. 1st batch release from the new distillery, spirit of dublin, etc etc.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »

Yeah, I was going to the other day, but I have an open bottle of all other whiskeys in the set, greenspot, Powers JL and Redbreast 12. So I would be spending €30 (on sale in Dunne's) just to taste the Barry Crockett.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yeah, I was going to the other day, but I have an open bottle of all other whiskeys in the set, greenspot, Powers JL and Redbreast 12. So I would be spending €30 (on sale in Dunne's) just to taste the Barry Crockett.

€25 in o'briens :o

€25 in o'briens :o

Hmmmmmm getting closer to me buying it :)

Same here!

O'Briens are also doing free engraving of Redbreast bottles at the moment, that normally costs €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

O'Briens are also doing free engraving of Redbreast bottles at the moment, that normally costs €15

I'd be so annoyed if someone got me an engraved redbreast, I'd feel like I couldn't drink it then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it engraved glass or the overprinted label?

The former I'd probably cook up some caramel water to refill with for display after drinking.

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it engraved glass or the overprinted label?

The former I'd probably cook up some caramel water to refill with for display after drinking.

The glass itself. Looks quite nice IMO

I'd be so annoyed if someone got me an engraved redbreast, I'd feel like I couldn't drink it then!

I know - I may just get one for myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Is proper 12 still available anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

GY A1 wrote: »
    Is proper 12 still available anywhere.

I think it's had its fifteen minutes of fame. Expect it to reappear en masse in the buildup to McGregor's next fight.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think it's had its fifteen minutes of fame. Expect it to reappear en masse in the buildup to McGregor's next fight.

Any still on the shelves
    Looking for a present

Any still on the shelves
    Looking for a present
    Do you not like them?
    There's better value out there than P#12!

Do you not like them?

Not for me
    Looking for some one else lol
    Is it still for sale ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Do you not like them?

Don't be such a Whiskey snob!

If it's a present, sometimes the packaging \ branding is as important as the contents :)

Any still on the shelves
    Looking for a present

I saw a bottle in Tesco in Wicklow town the other day. Also the Celtic whiskey store in Dublin has it still I believe. Saw it there at the weekend.

I saw a bottle in Tesco in Wicklow town the other day. Also the Celtic whiskey store in Dublin has it still I believe. Saw it there at the weekend.

There was another whiskey store I came across just off Grafton street. L.Mulligan Whiskey shop. I am pretty sure I saw it in there also.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Don't be such a Whiskey snob!
    Not snobbery.
    There are much better tasting whiskeys out there for the same money or less.
    This was not good whiskey.

"It smelled like ethanol and tasted only marginally better," our fintech guru Oscar Williams-Grut said. "A small initial sip was deceptively OK, but subsequent snifters were like vanilla flavouring trying to cover up rubbing alcohol."
    "I've drank a lot of bad whiskeys in my day — this was one of them,"
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-proper-no-twelve-whiskey-review-2018-9?r=US&IR=T
    Colour: Fake tan blend

On the nose: It’s pretty harsh and astringent – alcohol and young grain spirit are the first things to assault your nostrils. Pear drops, green apples, floral notes with copious amounts of nail varnish remover. Eventually, some caramel appears.

In the mouth: Young, grain heavy spirit – a very light mouthfeel, it’s light to the point of being non-existent. There is some vanilla, a little honey, toasted oak and some spice heat. It takes a while but some cocoa powder can be found. The finish is of alcohol rub heat… very little lasting or memorable flavour.

Conclusions
    When he announced his whiskey McGregor stated that he was coming in strong, with passion and with purpose. It’s a shame that his blender didn’t get the memo. Here we are again with another overpriced, dull, one dimensional and bland blend to add to the growing pantheon of dull Irish blends. No doubt with his sizeable following, Conor will sell loads of this juice although I’m not sure if he will get many repeat buyers. Unfortunately, I’m now left with a £30 hole in my wallet and about 660ml of whiskey that needs a new home, quite possibly the toilet but I haven’t decided yet.

Score: 2/10
    https://malt-review.com/2018/09/24/proper-no-twelve/
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it's a present, sometimes the packaging \ branding is as important as the contents :)
    Nothing to do with branding in terms of McGregor.
    I haven't read one review which praised the packaging. The labelling is poor quality, the bottle design leaves one wondering WTF...

from the BusinessInsider.com atricle above...
    The green bottle and boring label are certainly not memorable. And neither are the contents.

from the malt-review.com article...
    For a man that likes his bling and showmanship, the presentation of Proper No. Twelve is very dull to say the least. I showed the bottle to my brother in law and the first thing he noticed was that the labels weren’t stuck on right, there were air pockets under them so that the labels actually crackle and pop when you hold the bottle. The glass used in the bottle is a really weird opaque green that actually looks plastic (it reminds me of a Lilt bottle) and to top things off the bottle is 75cl even though you get 70cl so it looks underfilled. The whole thing just looks and feels… well, shoddy and rushed!

There are many more articles out there agreeing with these two reviews!

Edit: meant to add that these were the first two reviews when I Googled "Proper no 12 review"

• Advertisement

In fairness, the majority of people who want this whiskey won't be overly fussy on either the bottle packaging or the liquid inside.
    It's more the novelty of it.

Personally I shared most of a bottle of it with my Brothers and Dad watching the fight. it was a good conversation piece.
    It's not fantastic, but quite drinkable, people are being unnecessarily harsh on it IMO for a 30 quid whiskey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement