Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

mik_da_man wrote: »
    In fairness, the majority of people who want this whiskey won't be overly fussy on either the bottle packaging or the liquid inside.
    It's more the novelty of it.

Personally I shared most of a bottle of it with my Brothers and Dad watching the fight. it was a good conversation piece.
    It's not fantastic, but quite drinkable, people are being unnecessarily harsh on it IMO for a 30 quid whiskey.

Ye must be very fast drinkers :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

sceach16 wrote: »
    Ye must be very fast drinkers :P

5 of us and we watched all the other fights on the card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I agree, I didn't find the Proper 12 that bad actually, and I had more reason to dislike it because I can't stand McGregor.
    But in fairness its actually not bad and quite drinkable, however as mentioned previously, there is much better out there for the same price or less.
    It is more of a novelty for McGregor fans now. Good marketing by the man himself also. I sent 2 bottles of it over to Holland to people I knew that were looking for it for the fight. Seemed to create a big hype all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not snobbery.
    There are much better tasting whiskeys out there for the same money or less.
    Have you tried it yourself?

The Business times review is very odd. A bunch of financial reporter reviewing a whiskey. Why? Do they often review whiskey?
    The following line suggests they don't.
    "I don't really like any whiskey, and McGregor's safely fits into that."

But the part where they suggest the history behind Bushmills is marking nonsense writes it all off imo.

The Malt-review is probably genuine. But I wonder if that means they'd slate Bushmills the same. Probably not, but that's what the celebrity factor does. Plenty people had decided this was rubbing alcohol before it was even released.

It's not fantastic, and was never going to be challenging Redbreast at half the price. But it's not a terrible whiskey imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mellor wrote: »
    Have you tried it yourself?

The Business times review is very odd. A bunch of financial reporter reviewing a whiskey. Why? Do they often review whiskey?
    The following line suggests they don't.

But the part where they suggest the history behind Bushmills is marking nonsense writes it all off imo.

The Malt-review is probably genuine. But I wonder if that means they'd slate Bushmills the same. Probably not, but that's what the celebrity factor does. Plenty people had decided this was rubbing alcohol before it was even released.

It's not fantastic, and was never going to be challenging Redbreast at half the price. But it's not a terrible whiskey imo.

Malt review in fairness are extremely impartial and regularly call out big brands for releasing ****e whiskey. It was no better than white label bushmills which is cheaper than #12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just got a cask strength 12 year old redbreast in SuperValu for €60
    They'd priced 12 year old for €60 but they'd the cask strength on the shelf,picked it up and said I'd chance it .. was charged €90 at the till but when I said it's €60 on the shelf they went and checked came back and said yes it's €60 quid
    Bonus all round 🕺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Now that's a nice bit of luck :D

What batch is it btw? B1/17 is apparently excellent.

Wailin wrote:
    What batch is it btw? B1/17 is apparently excellent.

It's B1/16

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

opened an Auchentoshan American Oak at the weekend.... not to my taste that's for sure.

for some reason it reminded me of jagermeister when I was drinking it....

• Advertisement

picachu wrote:
    opened an Auchentoshan American Oak at the weekend.... not to my taste that's for sure.

Have a bottle,found it to be very nic vstuff

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

brinty wrote: »
    Have a bottle,found it to be very nic vstuff

Not my cup of tea but each to their own...

might need to give it another go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tried the Teeling Single Pot Still.
    Cracking whiskey for a 3yo.
    Clean, rich and smooth and complex.
    Shows that it's not all about age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Had a bottle of Suntory Chita Whisky over the BH with another chap who got it coming over from Germany. Quite nice. Never had japaneese before. not a huge taste experience, more like a bottle of DEW in taste to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Japanese producers have such a range of styles that you shouldn't decide off one bottle really - they have a similar range of styles to Scotland including peated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the bottle and would like to try more Jap Whisky. Nice subtle flavors, smooth stuff, this one wasn't smoked. Next time in a duty free and I will get some more.

Japanese whisky is the closest thing to scotch outside of Scotland. Very highly regarded whisky and very expensive too with low stocks.

Yoichi single malt is a cracking bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wailin wrote: »
    Japanese whisky is the closest thing to scotch outside of Scotland. Very highly regarded whisky and very expensive too with low stocks.

Yoichi single malt is a cracking bottle.

Is it coincidence that the Japanese own a significant number of the big Scottish distilleries ...

Have a bottle of the Chita myself
    Fantastic stuff

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it coincidence that the Japanese own a significant number of the big Scottish distilleries ...

Beam suntory own a number of scotch distilleries but are small players compared to diageo and pernod.

No the Japanese have always been fascinated with scotch and most of their master distillers learned their craft in scotland in the early 1900's. That's were the influence comes from. Yoichi distillery was even located where the climate and environment most closely resembles that of scotland.

You do know japanese whisky has been produced for a century? Long before they purchased a few scotch distilleries in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Had the Teeling Pot still this weekend.
    Very decent whiskey, a lot going on in it, nicely complex.
    I must admit the first sip didn't sit too well with me, but after giving it a bit more time in the glass it definitely grew on me.
    It does show it's age, but shows it's potential.
    Maybe 2 more years in the cask to round it off a bit.

Also had the Dunvilles 12 year old, finished in PX casks.
    That was a better of a whiskey. I do love a Sherry finish so may have been biased. Was so impressed that a bought a bottle of it that day.
    After looking into it, it won the best single malt 12 years and younger this year. Not surprised tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Must try that Dunvilles! Tried the Dunvilles Three Kings Peated Cask and it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Beam suntory own a number of scotch distilleries but are small players compared to diageo and pernod.

No the Japanese have always been fascinated with scotch and most of their master distillers learned their craft in scotland in the early 1900's. That's were the influence comes from. Yoichi distillery was even located where the climate and environment most closely resembles that of scotland.

You do know japanese whisky has been produced for a century? Long before they purchased a few scotch distilleries in the last few years.

Yeah read an intersting account of Japanese whisky a while ago.

Afaik the Tomatin Distillery Company was the first fully Japanese owned Scottish distillery in Scotland around 1986. 

Currently a number of Japanese firms import bulk Scotch to create Japanese style whiskies including the Ben Nevis distillery, owned by Nikka which allegedly ships a lot of its whisky to Japan that’s then used in Japanese blends. 

Perhaps it's not surprising that of the few few Japanese whiskys I've tasted they remind me of scotch whisky more than any other

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Had the Teeling Pot still this weekend.
    Very decent whiskey, a lot going on in it, nicely complex.
    I must admit the first sip didn't sit too well with me, but after giving it a bit more time in the glass it definitely grew on me.
    It does show it's age, but shows it's potential.
    Maybe 2 more years in the cask to round it off a bit.

But would you take it over the similarly priced RB 12? This is where I think the price does not make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

But would you take it over the similarly priced RB 12? This is where I think the price does not make sense.

I see where you're coming from but at the end of the day it is pretty much sold out everywhere so Teelings are happy and the price point obviously works. I definetly think it was marketed as a novelty bottle to appeal to collectors and in that respect €55 isnt much. Its not a main stream pot still whiskey where as Red Breast is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Can't wait to try this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Can't wait to try this

Gifting it to myself for xmas :)

limnam wrote: »
    Gifting it to myself for xmas :)

You do know....it's better to give than to receive...so give it here instead!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can't wait to try this
    Release date announced?

• Advertisement

Release date announced?

About a fortnight, they want it out by Nov 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Release date announced?

It'll be available to taste at whiskey live next week.

What are we talking price wise for the Red Spot do we think? Im guessing 120ish?

Hogzy wrote: »
    What are we talking price wise for the Red Spot do we think? Im guessing 120ish?

RRP is 115

RRP is 115

Indeed, you can pre-order now from O'Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

That limited edition single cask, cask strength Green Spot is now available for pre order. M&Sons only.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Release date announced?

Just heard from a friend that works in IDL. Release for the Red spot is either today or tomorrow and will be available in selected shops by Friday!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Jamerson Crested is only 25 in Tesco at the moment.

Im enjoying it. Its quite good at that price point.

That limited edition single cask, cask strength Green Spot is now available for pre order. M&Sons only.

Sold out:eek::eek:

I can get my hands on a Powers 3 Swallows for €30 in Supervalu using vouchers. (Currently priced at €35 but I have a fiver off).

Any opinions? I like the Johns Lane despite the general opinions here and have a bottle of that already but never tried the 3 swallows. Im guessing it wont be as nice as the Johns Lane given the price but is it worth a taste for €30?

Any opinions? I like the Johns Lane despite the general opinions here and have a bottle of that already but never tried the 3 swallows. Im guessing it wont be as nice as the Johns Lane given the price but is it worth a taste for €30?

Easily. It's very popular. IMO it's one of those "great for the price" whiskeys, even at +€40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I can get my hands on a Powers 3 Swallows for €30 in Supervalu using vouchers. (Currently priced at €35 but I have a fiver off).

Go for it, it's a lovely whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Opened a bottle of the Teeling Pot Still last night.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was expecting better. I've never had Poitin, but I'm thinking it might taste a bit like this.
    Definitely oily, and I get that SPS liquoricey spice, but only very slightly, probably because it's so young. Other than that, not something I'll be reaching for very often.

In hindsight, I should have tried it in a pub and spent the 55euro on something else. Not to worry, knowing me, I'll probably finish the bottle sooner than I expect!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know where i might find some Jim Beam Red Stag in Dublin? Tried it recently, and loved it, but cant seem to find it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Jamerson Crested is only 25 in Tesco at the moment.

Im enjoying it. Its quite good at that price point.

They're clearly playing with the value of this whiskey to dial it into the market. I've picked up all my bottles at this price or less so it seems crazy to me that someone would pay €38 full price. Dunnes have it on sale and it's still €35 which just sounds stupid compared to Tesco.

Just shows the value of anything is only in the mind of the buyer. Yet price fluctuations this big shatter perceived value and reveal it as a tasty entry-level offering worth nowhere near the full MSRP.

I'd buy it regularly at €25 but that's as far as I'd go.

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone know where i might find some Jim Beam Red Stag in Dublin? Tried it recently, and loved it, but cant seem to find it anywhere.

Celtic Whiskey Shop has it. A few SuperValus might have it too. I remember seeing it in Supervalu HSQ but that was a good while ago.

In hindsight, I should have tried it in a pub and spent the 55euro on something else. Not to worry, knowing me, I'll probably finish the bottle sooner than I expect!

I pretty much agree with your assessment. It doesn't taste like it's worth 55e but I'm glad I bought some, as it is a real bit of history. I think it's v good for a 3 year old, which points to the quality of the new Teelings distillate, so it'll be very interesting to see what quality releases they'll come out with more aged whiskeys in years to come.

I haven't had the Dingle single malt in ages but I think I remember liking that better, even though it was even pricier. Would love to properly compare the two new three year olds on the block. (There's probably other new liquids I'm not aware of)

16 year old Red Breast launching tonight in Sonny Molloys Galway. The first ever single cask bottled for a pub. I'm in Galway in a couple of weeks so I'll try get a bottle.

Cazale wrote: »
    16 year old Red Breast launching tonight in Sonny Molloys Galway. The first ever single cask bottled for a pub. I'm in Galway in a couple of weeks so I'll try get a bottle.

Any idea of the price?

€345 eek!!

Wailin wrote:
    €345 eek!!

I'll get a glass of it so!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement