Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Effects wrote: »
    After clicking on the tickets link for Whiskey Live I just realised that it's sold out.
    Any idea where tickets might pop up for sale? Some people that might not be able to go?

Pair for Friday for sale here https://twitter.com/thepubindublin/status/1065305875437490177 (hope sharing the link is allowed!). Keep an eye on the tag #WLD18 as well, people might post about spares using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks, just dropped them a message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wailin wrote: »
    The uigeadail is sherry finished and around 55% abv. It's much more rounded and full bodied compared to the 10. It's around €25 more than the 10 and I think it's worth it.

My 'fantasy' is to line up the 10, Uigeadail and the Corryvrechan some night in three glasses and savour them in a row. Can't really justify the cost at the moment.

I'll smell like an ash tray for a week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I prefer Lagavulin 16 to the Ardbegs. It's the most 'Earthy' whiskey I've tasted so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I know it had a limited release in the states but has anyone tried or come across Bob Dylan's whiskey Heaven's Door over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wailin wrote: »
    I prefer Lagavulin 16 to the Ardbegs. It's the most 'Earthy' whiskey I've tasted so far.

I have to admit that the fact it is chill filtered and caramelized does turn me off- probably completely unreasonably and need to get over it.

You know, that bothers me as well so I got my hands on a lagavulin 12 which is cask strength, non chill filtered and no colouring. A lot more expensive than the 16 and it comes in different batches every year. I got the 2017 one which is apparently excellent but haven't opened it yet.

You must not be too fond of Irish whiskey as practically all of it is chill filtered and caramelised apart from cask strength!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

Picked up a bottle of the Lagavulin 16 on Amazon for £33, it's on offer for £38 and had a £5 voucher.

BTW, Barry Crockett is currently for sale for £128.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Midleton-Barry-Crockett-Legacy-Whisky/dp/B00BBCXEPO/ref=sr_1_2?s=alcohol&ie=UTF8&qid=1542967761&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Master of Malt have Middleton Very Rare (2017) online for 135 at the moment

Master of Malt have Middleton Very Rare (2017) online for 135 at the moment

I saw that and was thinking of it, plus i had a £25 voucher, but went with RB21 instead. Already have mvr 2017 but it's half gone. RB21 is far far superior anyway.

Its a great bargain though for fans of mvr as its the old style box which is going for €400 in Celtic whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not whisky but just got a bottle of Chateau Laubade Armagnac there. 44 quid. Nice little drop.

11343136194590.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Got a bottle of Johnny Walker double black in Duty free last month, very, very peaty, still in me belly though. Bought a simple bottle of Black Bush earlier and getting through it nicely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Decent offers in Tesco, Red Bush, Black Bush and Crested all €25. Caskmates Stout €25 and Caskmates IPA €30 (no idea why thats more expensive).

Picked up the crested myself, sipping on a glass now. Tasty stuff for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Had a sneaky Nikka From The Barrel in work. :pac: (Got called in on my day off). Only one measure left of it now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Just finished my evening at whiskey live Dublin. it's a tough aul slog drinking so many whiskeys in a row while trying to maintain a discerning palette. A lot of great things going on with Irish whiskey.

Was impressed with First Born, the first matured whiskey from the Great Northern Distillery in Dundalk. The single malt was lovely and also had a sip of the unmatured peated malt which was also quite good considering it wasn't even whiskey. Although I'm perhaps a bit biased as I'm from the town :P

The Glendalough Mizunara was one of the highlights for sure. Glendalough have a bright future. I had a taste of Red Spot, and it was very good but I don't know if it's 115e worth to be honest. Had RB 21 and
    12 cask strength, both class though the cask strength was more potent after having 6 different whiskeys. Dunvilles 12 PX was nice and Three kings Peated cask again well worth a punt. Had the peated Ban Poitin too, a very interesting spirit.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban was one of my favourites too. Ardbeg was a reliable classic. Had two different expressions of Bruichladdich Octomore, was a bit disappointed to be honest. Wasn't the most flavoursome, I preferred the one that used Islay barley and wine cask.

Had a few others but those were the ones that stood out. I think the Irishman Carribbean cask was underwhelming, and Teelings stout cask wasn't good. I don't really like any Teelings but Tyrconnell 15 Madeira was good. Goes to show the even though both are from Cooley, one can do more with the liquid.

Didn't have much bourbon but Bulleit 10 y/o was very flavoursome and apparently it's like 57e so absolutely worth a buy I would say. Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack was the easiest drinking, sweetest thing I had all night, but I'd barely call it whiskey.

Great night and setup all in all. John Teeling is manning the Great Northern Distillery stand. What a man. Have fun anyone who's heading tomorrow.

Great night and setup all in all. John Teeling is manning the Great Northern Distillery stand. What a man. Have fun anyone who's heading tomorrow.

Met Jack Teeling at the Teeling stand and he gave us a couple of free passes for the Teeling tour.

As you say the Red Spot was nice but I don't know if it's 115 euro nice.

Highlights for me were the glendalough 13 mizunara,, what a smashing irish whiskey, Glenmorangie quinta rubin, method and madness single pot still and Ardbeg an Oa.

Not so impressed? Red spot 15...€115, no chance. Bushmills 21, glad i tested it before spending €175 on it. Teeling 24, not worth the premium.

Ardbeg master class was great, great night overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Rew wrote: »
    Nikka Coffey Malt is a really lovely bottle for ~€70 and there is Nikka 12 year old for ~110.

Opened a bottle of this tonight and not at all what I expected. Part way between a good bourbon and a good whiskey. Right up my boulevard actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

milltown wrote: »
    Opened a bottle of this tonight and not at all what I expected. Part way between a good bourbon and a good whiskey. Right up my boulevard actually.

Was if Coffey Malt or Grain?
    I don't find the Malt bourbony at all. But so imagine the grain would be, but I haven't tried that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why do people think that Bourbon is somehow something other than whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Why do people think that Bourbon is somehow something other than whiskey?

Because it is.

To be a Bourbon the grain used has to be at least 51% corn.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Because it is.

To be a Bourbon the grain used has to be at least 51% corn.

And?
    An Irish whiskey could be exclusively made from corn. Greenore is an example of this.
    What would you describe that as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

And?
    An Irish whiskey could be exclusively made from corn. Greenore is an example of this.
    What would you describe that as?

They call it "Single Grain", I call it Bourbon.

Not really a big enough deal to argue with a stranger on the internet at 09:00 on a Saturday.

Felexicon wrote: »
    They call it "Single Grain", I call it Bourbon.

Not really a big enough deal to argue with a stranger on the internet at 09:00 on a Saturday.

Perhaps you should contact the FSAI as they clearly claim on the label that it's Single Grain, Irish Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Well bourbon and Irish are named so for more than just the grain used.

Bourbon is only required to be aged two years in the barrel while Irish needs at least three.

Bourbon uses new oak barreling where Irish uses used oak.

Irish whiskey is whiskey produced in Ireland :D - bourbon has to be in America.

The grain used isn't the only aspect to consider when calling a whiskey a bourbon vs something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

@Useful.idiot ...was hoping the Glendalough was going to be a hit, can't wait to get my hand on it....
    but...have you ever tried the Teeling's revival series...it's an amazing whiskey imo

@Useful.idiot ...was hoping the Glendalough was going to be a hit, can't wait to get my hand on it....
    but...have you ever tried the Teeling's revival series...it's an amazing whiskey imo

Which have you tried? I've heard the IV was brilliant.

Well bourbon and Irish are named so for more than just the grain used.

Bourbon is only required to be aged two years in the barrel while Irish needs at least three.

Bourbon uses new oak barreling where Irish uses used oak.

Irish whiskey is whiskey produced in Ireland :D - bourbon has to be in America.

The grain used isn't the only aspect to consider when calling a whiskey a bourbon vs something else.

The only point I'm making is that Bourbon is whiskey. To suggest that it isn't is simply wrong.
    It is legally defined as whiskey both in USA and in Europe. Any Bourbon whiskey sold in the EU has to be 3 years old.

BTW, Irish whiskey can and does use new oak.

The only point I'm making is that Bourbon is whiskey. To suggest that it isn't is simply wrong.
    It is legally defined as whiskey both in USA and in Europe. Any Bourbon whiskey sold in the EU has to be 3 years old.

BTW, Irish whiskey can and does use new oak.

You are right - bourbon is whiskey.

However I can see how differences between whiskeys can be confusing for people. It is confusing unless you research it.

I know new oak can be used for Irish but it's pretty expensive for us as we don't have any real major forests grown for it so it isn't the standard yet (hopefully in 20 years it'll be more normal as there seems to be a push to grow forests in Ireland now).

Do Irish distilleries import new oak barrels from America/Europe to use at all?

• Advertisement

Do Irish distilleries import new oak barrels from America/Europe to use at all?

I'm not sure but they have used virgin Irish oak.
    I think that Barry Crocket might have some American virgin oak but I'm not sure.

Things are getting more innovative in Irish whiskey making and all sorts of casks and woods and beginning to be used. It doesn't even have to be oak for Irish whiskey.

Which have you tried? I've heard the IV was brilliant.

;)

I tasted one of the revivals at the Teeling tour, wasn't mad on it, but twas only a brief tasting of course. The nicest I had at that was a distillery exclusive seasonal cask they had, I think it was rum finished.

The guy from Glendalough was saying they're using virgin Irish oak barrels made from trees they've cut from their own land at the distillery. All the barley and water is from Wicklow also. I think their own stocks mature next year. They plan to release a whiskey aged in ex bourbon then finished in Irish oak, and then eventually one fully aged in Irish oak. What other Irish whiskeys have used Irish oak?

He also said they're bringing out a 17 year Mizunara malt next year, spending 4 years in Mizunara as opposed to 1 (numbers might not be exactly accurate here because whiskey)

What other Irish whiskeys have used Irish oak?

Midleton dair gaelach is the only one I'm aware of. Stunning whiskey, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Cormo87

£170 incl delivery...same price as here after that I'm afraid

125 pounds with prime and free delivery, works out at €146, very tempted.

Is the best way to go through parcel motel? Any issues with it being alcohol being delivered?

The guy from Glendalough was saying they're using virgin Irish oak barrels made from trees they've cut from their own land at the distillery. All the barley and water is from Wicklow also. I think their own stocks mature next year. They plan to release a whiskey aged in ex bourbon then finished in Irish oak, and then eventually one fully aged in Irish oak. What other Irish whiskeys have used Irish oak?

He also said they're bringing out a 17 year Mizunara malt next year, spending 4 years in Mizunara as opposed to 1 (numbers might not be exactly accurate here because whiskey)

Yeah the midelton dair ghaelach is finished in the virgin oak too.

I would be very curious to see how a full maturation in Irish virgin oak turns out.

Good to see they are getting full use out of those Mizunara barrels! Great to see them trying something different for Irish whiskey.

Has anyone tried batch 3 of the Dingle single malt?

I have a batch 2 bottle and it got much better the longer it sat in the bottle over the year. Not sure if batch 3 is worth it having read some reviews of it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Was if Coffey Malt or Grain?
    I don't find the Malt bourbony at all. But so imagine the grain would be, but I haven't tried that one.

Coffey Malt.

Don't think I've had any grain whiskeys yet.

• Advertisement

Take my money now!

You've almost certainly had blended whiskey with a large portion of grain in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Based on the reviews below I picked up a bottle of this for €40 in Aldi. Hoping it’s decent. Anyone ever partaken in it?

Lockes 8 year old.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lockes/lockes-8-year-old-whiskey/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Drinking a bottle of The Chita, a Suntory Whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Drinking a bottle of The Chita, a Suntory Whisky.

Lovely stuff

Based on the reviews below I picked up a bottle of this for €40 in Aldi. Hoping it’s decent. Anyone ever partaken in it?

Lockes 8 year old.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/lockes/lockes-8-year-old-whiskey/

Very solid whiskey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah its a lovely bottle, id pick one up again in a heartbeat, might have to grab a Nikka from the Barrel to see what the craic is like. Sorely tempted to buy a bottle of their Coffey gin as well.

Coffey Malt.

Having checked again this evening, while pouring a glass, it's labelled as Nikka Coffey Malt but the small print says single grain malt whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless Japan has different defintions for the term 'malt', that's just a tautology. Malt is made from barley, which is a single grain! Grain here would usually mean corn but it could be other grains.

The major difference to Irish/Scottish products there is that you cannot call a whiskey Malt if made in a column still here/Scotland; it is protected to pot stills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless Japan has different defintions for the term 'malt', that's just a tautology. Malt is made from barley, which is a single grain! Grain here would usually mean corn but it could be other grains.
    The "Single" means it came from only one distillery. Not that only one grain was used. A single grain scotch still contains a mix of malt and grain. Scotch must contain some malt.
    The major difference to Irish/Scottish products there is that you cannot call a whiskey Malt if made in a column still here/Scotland; it is protected to pot stills
    There's no difference, the same definitions apply to Japanese whiskey. Which is why the Coffey Malt is labelled a single grain dispite being made from 100% malted barley.

There's an arguement that it meets none of the definitions. "Single coffey malt" suits best, but it's not an official definition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement