Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would not be allowed sell an Irish/Scottish product as "single Coffey Malt" though, as you cannot use the term malt on column distilled whiskey. Just because there's a secondary definition in there also does not circumvent the other restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That rule is a bit silly really as 'malt' refers to the grain not the distillation method.

Also according to the definition of Irish Whiskey on Wikipedia, 100% maize would not be allowed as malted grains are required?

Scrap the cap!

That rule is a bit silly really as 'malt' refers to the grain not the distillation method.

Also according to the definition of Irish Whisky on Wikipedia, 100% maize would not be allowed as malted grains are required?

Maximum of 30% malt in grain whiskey, no specification of the floor but it does suggest 100% unmalted is not acceptable

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/foodindustrydevelopmenttrademarkets/geographicalindicationsprotectednames/IrishWhiskeytechnicalfile141114.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Amazon UK are doing Johnny Walker Blue for £99 today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    You would not be allowed sell an Irish/Scottish product as "single Coffey Malt" though, as you cannot use the term malt on column distilled whiskey. Just because there's a secondary definition in there also does not circumvent the other restrictions.
    I think you've understood me. I'm aware of the regulations.
    I'm saying "single coffey malt" or a similar variation makes more sense as an additional category because it falls outside the current definitions.

It's not pot stilled so it's not a single malt. But it's technically not a single grain either. Which is what it's currently labelled as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

So what's the Nikka Coffey Grain labeled as? Single malt :D

All very confusing in fairness though. The main difference between pot still and column still is pot still distillation are made in batches, whereas column still is continuous. The mash flows in continuously.

Have sampled both the Coffey Malt and Grain and preffered the grain but both are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Amazon UK are doing Johnny Walker Blue for £99 today

Green label for 27 pound too is a brilliant price.

Green label for 27 pound too is a brilliant price.

Is it the same taste profile as before its unceremonious removal from the lineup?

The travel "Island Green" they flogged as a replacement wasn't really up to it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Was at whiskey Live myself on Saturday evening.
    Just ok now :D

Fantastic night as usual, started with the Teeling Brabazon which I've never tried before, really liked that.
    Went on to Walsh for a sample of the Irishman 17, that's a cracking whiskey.
    Then on to the Spot Master class, which was brilliant.
    I liked the Red Spot, but the surprise of the class was a component of the 15 aged in Marsala casks. Wonderful stuff.

Back out to the hall for more whiskies.
    Good few more samples were enjoyed, the ones that stood out to me were Clon Port cask, Dingle Pot Still, Dunvilles 12 and some under the counter stuff, in particular on the Method and Madness stand.

Great evening and looking forward to next year already!

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it the same taste profile as before its unceremonious removal from the lineup?

The travel "Island Green" they flogged as a replacement wasn't really up to it.

They are similar enough that if you enjoyed the old bottling this one matches pretty close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Don’t suppose anyone has seen a bottle of the Irishman 17yr old in stock anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Was at Whiskey Live on Friday evening and had a great night. The stand outs for me were;

- Irish American 10yo
    - Dead Rabbit, who had some nice under the counter stuff including a 27yo that will be on limited release next year (10 bottles only available at the distillery),
    - Sliabh Laig was lovely stuff, they also had seaweed infused gin which was fantastic

But top of the bill for me was The Dalmore King Alexander, absolutely smashing. All in all a great evening despite the head on me on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

What do people think of ordering a bottle or two from masters of malt? Has anyone ever had any issues? Would you still have the same opinion if you were ordering 6 or 8 bottles? Meaning of course delivery direct to house, rather than parcel motel or the like.......

Have used them for the last few months, just single bottles only, never a batch. Very good to deal with, great customer care and prices are good. An example is a bottle of midleton dair ghaelach I got for €200 delivery included. All deliveries by dhl and they text you prior to delivery to make sure someone's home.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've ordered a few times from them with no issues, usually multiple bottles. Not as many as 8 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭FlicFlak

What do people think of ordering a bottle or two from masters of malt? Has anyone ever had any issues? Would you still have the same opinion if you were ordering 6 or 8 bottles? Meaning of course delivery direct to house, rather than parcel motel or the like.......

I've done a few big orders off them, 6-10 bottles. Never had any issues, in fact one time i ordered on Tuesday and they were at the door by Thursday!! And on all occasions i got them before 9 o'clock in the morning, so no missed deliveries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kevk20

Just received my bottle of Glenfarclas 15 from masters of malt. Much to my delight, they also sent me a bottle of Redbreast Lustau edition. I neither ordered nor paid for the Redbreast. I re-checked the MOM website and they’re giving away £250k worth of whiskey for free as part of an Xmas promotion. So, an extra bottle of top Irish whiskey for zippo! 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kevk20

So, moral of the story, order a bottle from them cos u might be in for an early Xmas present.

I won a bottle of Miyagikyo single malt from them the other day... awaiting delivery next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bought a bottle of the 12 yr old Cask Strength Red Breast. Thinking of putting it away for a few years.

No doubt it will increase in value - but how likely is it to improve with age as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rkcorry

Not sure it will mend once bottled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Aside from dedicated auction sites (I just don't want the hassle of them), can anyone suggest where I could sell these?

Maybe try the Irish whiskey buy, sell, seek, swap group on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cazale wrote: »
    Maybe try the Irish whiskey buy, sell, seek, swap group on Facebook.

Cheers! Not on the auld FB, would you possibly have a link to that page? I'll use the boss's account - if she lets me.......

Cheers! Not on the auld FB, would you possibly have a link to that page? I'll use the boss's account - if she lets me.......

facebook.com/groups/472564593089415/?ref=group_header&view=group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cazale wrote: »
    facebook.com/groups/472564593089415/?ref=group_header&view=group

Thanks! Appreciate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

gozunda wrote: »
    but how likely is it to improve with age as well?

None. It’s whiskey not wine.

No doubt it will increase in value - but how likely is it to improve with age as well?

Whiskey doesn't age once bottled. A 12 year old whiskey bottled 60 years ago is still a 12 year old whiskey. Just drink the thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got a bottle of Red Breast in Dunnes, had a voucher so brought it down to €47.50. They had a few other offers but nothing stood out as very good value, think Tesco have the best deals in the €25-50 price range at the minute. Did spot a nice Writers Tears glass set for €40 but have 3/4s of a bottle of that here as it is.

Wailin wrote: »
    Whiskey doesn't age once bottled. A 12 year old whiskey bottled 60 years ago is still a 12 year old whiskey. Just drink the thing!

As presumed. I've came across a couple of adverts that have suggested otherwise. Tbh scarcity is the principle thing pushing up value with regard to any specific bottled whiskey.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info all........... going to have a go, Maybe a conservative 4 bottles :-)
    Thinking the Ardbeg Uigeadail, Woodford double oak, the Benromach cask strength and a refill of cask strength Redbreast.
    I'll let it be known here how I get on.......

PS- Don't keep the CS Redbreast, open it...... you'll be back here to say thanks!

As presumed. I've came across a couple of adverts that have suggested otherwise. Tbh scarcity is the principle thing pushing up value with regard to any specific bottled whiskey.

CS Redbreast is not scarce though. What batch did you get? 2017 batch is apparently savage and Jim Murray gave it Irish Whiskey of the year 2019 and a score of 97 Batch 2016 is not as good according to him and got 86.

Interesting, I haven't tried the 2016; what I have here is B1/17, and I can confirm its worthy of it. I am wondering if the 2016 really is that far off the mark? Eitherway, it appears that Masters of Malt have only B1/17 in stock. I assume there was no 2018 release?

There is, i have the 18 and 17. Haven't opened the 18 yet.

Wailin wrote:
    CS Redbreast is not scarce though. What batch did you get? 2017 batch is apparently savage and Jim Murray gave it Irish Whiskey of the year 2019 and a score of 97 Batch 2016 is not as good according to him and got 86.

Irish pot still on steroids he described the 2011 batch. I'm gonna have to get myself a bottle.

Im guessing any batch of cask strength red breast would be a top class whiskey to us mere mortals! Murray has a thing about sulphur in sherried whiskies and i think that was his issue with the 2016 batch. Most folk probably wouldn't even detect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They would increase in value. As that particular batch/vintage comes rare. But the increased value is zero reflection on how the whiskey has improved.
    If you've any intention of drinking it. Just open it over Christmas.

Mellor wrote: »
    They would increase in value. As that particular batch/vintage comes rare. But the increased value is zero reflection on how the whiskey has improved.
    If you've any intention of drinking it. Just open it over Christmas.

It doesn't improve.

So has anyone cracked open a bottle of Red Spot yet?

Just tasted it at whiskey live myself and thought it was nice but I'd prefer green spot.

Batch B1/18 funnily enough ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So has anyone cracked open a bottle of Red Spot yet?

My local gave me a (generous) taster earlier.
    Very nice I have to say. Nicer than yellow for my tastes.. Better than green? Hard to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Got a bottle of Lagavullin 16 that was a third off on Amazon.

Have you compared it to Ardbeg 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Have you compared it to Ardbeg 10?
    Ah I've had it before. It's a lot more mellow than the Ardbeg. Still plenty of fire in it.

Yeah I prefer the lag myself also but the ardbeg is very nice too...totally different whiskies, even if the peat smoke is the dominant force in both. Did the Ardbeg masterclass at whisky live and ardbeg uigeadail is an outstanding whiskey. Picked up a bottle awhile back.

I've a bottle of that bought in some cheap country airport (not duty free). Personally find Ardbeg too smokey for most drinking times so the Lagavulin comes out on top there.

Seem to remember it's very competitively priced for a 16

You might like Talisker 10....less smoky than lagavulin or ardbeg and sherry finished too like lag so rich tasting.

I think the Barry Crockett is the nicest pot still I've ever tasted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the Barry Crockett is the nicest pot still I've ever tasted...

Am I the only person to think that this is the most overrated and overpriced whiskey around?
    It's not unpleasant or anything but I find it very uninteresting and not very complex. I just don't get the love for it. Smooth, yes, but not much else going on for me.

Anyone else?

On the other hand, I love the Dair Ghaelach.

It's nice alright but I'd prefer Redbreast 21 or the 12 yo cask strength which are both much better value.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement