Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Wailin wrote: »
    It's nice alright but I'd prefer Redbreast 21 or the 12 yo cask strength which are both much better value.

Everyone is different....but the 12yo cask strength doesn't come within an asses roar of it imo.
    But different strokes for different folks as they say :D

Am I the only person to think that this is the most overrated and overpriced whiskey around?
    It's not unpleasant or anything but I find it very uninteresting and not very complex. I just don't get the love for it. Smooth, yes, but not much else going on for me.

Anyone else?

On the other hand, I love the Dair Ghaelach.

I'll admit, I haven't tried the Dair Ghaelach... but it's going to have to be special to beat Crockett...it just hits all the right notes for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Everyone is different....but the 12yo cask strength doesn't come within an asses roar of it imo.

But it still wins best Irish whiskey overall 2018 and jim murrays irish whiskey of the year...

Comes within an asses roar for most :)

But it still wins best Irish whiskey overall 2018 and jim murrays irish whiskey of the year...

Comes within an asses roar for most :)

It's a great whiskey...I have it in my locker... but the Crockett just has so much more going on I think..
    But again...it's all about what the individual likes

But again...it's all about what the individual likes

Of course. I tasted it in the midleton mini set and it was the best of that bunch but 4 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got a bottle of Makers 46 from someone going through duty free in JFK. Not really up on my bourbons or american whiskey but really nice whiskey. Has an oaky taste with a spicy finish, very unusual and totally different to everything else in my very small and modest collection so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lads I think I read a couple of discussions here about Highland Park 12 and how it's changed for the worse since the Viking Honour redesign. Would that be accurate? Some say it's still the same. I had a glass of Highland Park 18 last night, looked like the older design, and it was delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Lads I think I read a couple of discussions here about Highland Park 12 and how it's changed for the worse since the Viking Honour redesign. Would that be accurate? Some say it's still the same. I had a glass of Highland Park 18 last night, looked like the older design, and it was delicious.

I've loved HP for years, but I think it's a far cry from the HP bottled (say) 20 years ago. I've met plenty who disagree with me, but I think it's become blander over the years. I'm going to dig into the stocks over Christmas and see whether I am remembering how good the old HP was, or if I'm just nostalgic!

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've loved HP for years, but I think it's a far cry from the HP bottled (say) 20 years ago.

I think you could say that about a lot of the bigger brands nowadays. A case of quantity over quality as the popularity of whiskey rises.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I think you could say that about a lot of the bigger brands nowadays. A case of quantity over quality as the popularity of whiskey rises.

True! I am going to dig into some older bottlings over Christmas to see whether I'm remembering it correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

HP is very confusing to buy nowadays. So many different NAS whiskeys and not knowing which are decent. If they brought out a mini set to try a few at once it would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Whats the Middleton Lustau like? I am looking at a gift for someone for Xmas. They really like Greenspot, but I am looking at getting a 'nicer' bottle that is less than €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thereality wrote: »
    Whats the Middleton Lustau like? I am looking at a gift for someone for Xmas. They really like Greenspot, but I am looking at getting a 'nicer' bottle that is less than €80

You mean Redbreast Lustau?
    It's nice I prefer to RB (just) but not as much as the cask strength. I'm a big fan sherry influenced whiskey generally.

If they like Greenspot, then the Greenspot Leoville B edition is a solid choice. Should be €70 at most

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

Mellor wrote: »
    You mean Redbreast Lustau?
    It's nice I prefer to RB (just) but not as much as the cask strength. I'm a big fan sherry influenced whiskey generally.

If they like Greenspot, then the Greenspot Leoville B edition is a solid choice. Should be €70 at most

Yeah the Redbreast Lustau. Like it doesn't have to be a whiskey with a sherry finish. Just a solid bottle of somewhat premium whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Masters of Malt have pulled orders from shipping to Ireland. Lady I spoke to said that due to customs seizing nearly every order in the last month they've been forced to stop customers ordered to Ireland.

Shame and lucky my order was delivered no problem 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

due to customs seizing nearly every order in the last month they've been forced to stop customers ordered to Ireland.
    :rolleyes: They could just comply with the law and pay their taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    :rolleyes: They could just comply with the law and pay their taxes.

I wsd not believed here when suggesting that a "reputable" company like MOM would ship without paying the required taxes and telling porkies to their customers about the fact.

I have never heard of an online retail seller registered with Irish revenue for shipping to Ireland.
    Is anyone aware of one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thereality wrote: »
    Yeah the Redbreast Lustau. Like it doesn't have to be a whiskey with a sherry finish. Just a solid bottle of somewhat premium whiskey
    The Leoville Barton isn't sherry finish btw. But if he likes Greenspot it's a solid choice imo

Masters of Malt have pulled orders from shipping to Ireland. Lady I spoke to said that due to customs seizing nearly every order in the last month they've been forced to stop customers ordered to Ireland.

Shame and lucky my order was delivered no problem 2 weeks ago.

I got a bottle yesterday... but that's going to be horrendous coming up to Xmas

I have a £25 voucher to use from MOM:(

I'll wait until after xmas, customs might not be so stringent.

• Advertisement

I have never heard of an online retail seller registered with Irish revenue for shipping to Ireland.
    Is anyone aware of one?

Whisky Exchange.

Whisky Exchange.

Do they provide any evidence of this?

Lots of sellers claim to be compliant but aren't.

They do. Go through the buying process yourself and you'll get a breakdown of cost with Irish duty shown. It means their prices are only slightly better than here, and even more expensive eg red breast 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I have a £25 voucher to use from MOM:(

I'll wait until after xmas, customs might not be so stringent.

I'd play it safe and go through Parcel Motel, Parcel Connect or the likes.
    For the past few months I've been ordering off Amazon and shipping through the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

Ordered myself treat for Christmas and bought RB 12yr Old Cask Strength, gonna hold on to open Xmas Eve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hoping to pick up a bottle of the RB Cask Strenght in Dublin duty free

if not a bottle of yellowspot I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

picachu wrote: »
    Hoping to pick up a bottle of the RB Cask Strenght in Dublin duty free

if not a bottle of yellowspot I think

Go for the cask strength would be my recommendation, much better whisky for a similar price imo.

Thought some of you malt heads might enjoy this :D

Springbank distillery in Scotland. Supposedly the most hand made whisky in Scotland and also the oldest independent family owned distillery. 100% of the process is carried out on site, inc bottling.

Looks like hard work too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Kilbeggan 8yo Single Grain for me tonight.
    Lovely light whiskey, forgot how much I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did a cupboard dig there as most of my recent buys have been stuff I've drunk for years, and are burying some different stuff

Hibiki Master Select was extracted. Never a huge fan of duty free specials but this really isn't bad. There are reviews saying its chill filtered; but it's putting out oils with some ice that would suggest it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

L1011 wrote: »
    Did a cupboard dig there as most of my recent buys have been stuff I've drunk for years, and are burying some different stuff

Hibiki Master Select was extracted. Never a huge fan of duty free specials but this really isn't bad. There are reviews saying its chill filtered; but it's putting out oils with some ice that would suggest it isn't

Only grabbed a bottle of that on Wednesday, looked interesting but I've never had it.
    Decent drop?

Pretty good yeah, got it in Leeds Airport a few years ago and had drunk about a third of the bottle. Was in a dark cupboard since.

Suspect it has gone up in price since with the general hike in Japanese products though

L1011 wrote: »
    but it's putting out oils with some ice that would suggest it isn't

Do you prefer it with ice? I know each to his own but ice prevents flavours from being released and makes it taste more bitter. You'd get so much more from it by not chilling it.

Do you prefer it with ice? I know each to his own but ice prevents flavours from being released and makes it taste more bitter. You'd get so much more from it by not chilling it.

Ha, ha. I was waiting for someone to react to the mention of ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Really enjoying the kilchoman machir bay that I got in M&S up north a couple of months ago.

Peated, but not Laphroaig peated, light, lemony.

Would recommend getting a bottle if anyone ever comes across it

Yes, and I do not notice any difference in taste. Habits are not going to be changed after a decade.

Got the IDL pot still taster set in Dunnes for €30 today as I've never had Barry Crockett and its 50ml for about what a shot would cost in a bar + the others thrown in too. All of which I actually have proper bottles of currently.

The fecking thing is €27 in O'Briens as I later found out! Although I had Dunnes spend and save vouchers so it worked out cheaper that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Father in Law landing over this evening with my Christmas present Red Spot.

Nice. Can you refrain until Christmas? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Sold out everywhere now I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cazale wrote: »

Sold out everywhere now I think.

No idea whether that's true or not but there was a bottle picked up for me in Dublin airport this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

No idea whether that's true or not but there was a bottle picked up for me in Dublin airport this afternoon.

Sold out in O'Briens. Mitchell and Son have sold out and are only taking preorders for next batch. None on Celtic Whiskey Shop or Molloys websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Serious value over here. Just got a bottle of Lustau for €43 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yo for a good friend of the family. Has anyone had it before? Its in a gift pack with two glasses so should make a good present.

He's a scotch drinker who is also fond of Redbreast and the like, but can be picky.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yo for a good friend of the family. Has anyone had it before? Its in a gift pack with two glasses so should make a good present.

He's a scotch drinker who is also fond of Redbreast and the like, but can be picky.

It's a light enough Highland malt compared to other Scotch whiskys. Not too demanding at all but it's a nice whisky. I'd prefer redbreast myself but he might appreciate the gift pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It's a light enough Highland malt compared to other Scotch whiskys. Not too demanding at all but it's a nice whisky. I'd prefer redbreast myself but he might appreciate the gift pack.

I might risk it, sure whats the worst that can happen eh haha! Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Glenmorangie 10yo for a good friend of the family. Has anyone had it before?

I really like Glenmorangie 10. I think it'd be a great gift as it's a classic scotch, and a good choice if he doesn't drink too many scotches. It is light but also complex.

If you wanted to step up a bit you could go for a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban either, which is 10 y/o Glenmorangie aged a further two years in ex port casks. It's delicious and would be perfect for Christmas. It's a bit pricier though and I don't know if they do them in gift packs like the 10.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The €30 offer on some Scotch single malts in Tesco has been extended to the 24th. Talisker 1OYO, Cardhu 12YO and the Glenlivet NAS. Unfortunately Glenmorangie not included though.

In conjunction with a €10 off €45 spend voucher, there are some decent gifting options there at an effective price of less than €25!

Are people still finding any teeling pot still in shops? It seems to be dried up online. I see o briens still have a few bottles for store pick up.

I really like Glenmorangie 10. I think it'd be a great gift as it's a classic scotch, and a good choice if he doesn't drink too many scotches. It is light but also complex.

If you wanted to step up a bit you could go for a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban either, which is 10 y/o Glenmorangie aged a further two years in ex port casks. It's delicious and would be perfect for Christmas. It's a bit pricier though and I don't know if they do them in gift packs like the 10.

Quinta Ruban is a real desert whiskey for me - the port cask i find makes it super sweet. Delicous in small doses!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement