Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

If you wanted to step up a bit you could go for a Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban either, which is 10 y/o Glenmorangie aged a further two years in ex port casks. It's delicious and would be perfect for Christmas. It's a bit pricier though and I don't know if they do them in gift packs like the 10.

The Quinta Ruban was one of my faves from Whiskey Live though I'm sure the gift of the 10yo will go down well too.

Quackster wrote:
    The €30 offer on some Scotch single malts in Tesco has been extended to the 24th. Talisker 1OYO, Cardhu 12YO and the Glenlivet NAS. Unfortunately Glenmorangie not included though.

Picked up the Talisker 10 and a bottle of Jameson Crested tonight for €48 when I used one of my vouchers. I'm gonna need a bigger boat for all these bottles of whiskey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Are people still finding any teeling pot still in shops? It seems to be dried up online. I see o briens still have a few bottles for store pick up.

Picked one up in Cork airport about 10 days ago. Lots left at that stage. Not opened yet.

Had some Method & Madness Single Grain over the weekend.
    Didn't like it when opened bottle a few weeks ago and on revisit I still don't. I know its all opinion, but in my opinion its the worst Irish whiskey I have tasted all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cazale wrote: »
    Picked up the Talisker 10 and a bottle of Jameson Crested tonight for €48 when I used one of my vouchers. I'm gonna need a bigger boat for all these bottles of whiskey!

Some deal! Tal 10 is normally around €50 itself.

Wailin wrote:
    Some deal! Tal 10 is normally around €50 itself.

I'm slowly going over to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Picked one up in Cork airport about 10 days ago. Lots left at that stage. Not opened yet.

Had some Method & Madness Single Grain over the weekend.
    Didn't like it when opened bottle a few weeks ago and on revisit I still don't. I know its all opinion, but in my opinion its the worst Irish whiskey I have tasted all year.

What's the deal with the M&M? Just doesn't suit your preferences? Shame it didn't open up for you with a bit of time

I have the single malt finished in french oak and it's a nice whiskey. Also have the pot still in hungarian oak but yet to try it. Never tried the grain one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

What's the deal with the M&M? Just doesn't suit your preferences? Shame it didn't open up for you with a bit of time

tasted like Petrol :-)
    Don't know really, normally if a whiskey is not really to my taste, then at least its drinkable and worst case, I can add a mixer. I found this tough going even with coke.
    My preference leans towards Single Pot Still, so maybe its just single grain doesn't work for me, hope not cos I also have an unopened bottle of Kilbeggan Single Grain.

M&M Single Pot French is on of my fav's of the year.
    Not opened the M&M SPS Hungarian yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

tasted like Petrol :-)
    Don't know really, normally if a whiskey is not really to my taste, then at least its drinkable and worst case, I can add a mixer. I found this tough going even with coke.
    My preference leans towards Single Pot Still, so maybe its just single grain doesn't work for me, hope not cos I also have an unopened bottle of Kilbeggan Single Grain.

M&M Single Pot French is on of my fav's of the year.
    Not opened the M&M SPS Hungarian yet

I have the Hungarian.... wasn't great...have left it for a month now, so will try again tonight and see if it's improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Oxygenation leads to oxidization which creates transformation.......... maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a huge amount of oxygensation that's going to happen in a closed bottle with only a bit gone, though!

milltown wrote: »
    I'd play it safe and go through Parcel Motel, Parcel Connect or the likes.
    For the past few months I've been ordering off Amazon and shipping through the north.

if one was to risk ordering from Amazon which redirect service is best from the point of view of working - parcel motel, parcel wizard etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

glasso wrote: »
    if one was to risk ordering from Amazon which redirect service is best from the point of view of working - parcel motel, parcel wizard etc?

Mine was seized by customs when used Parcel Motel.

Later released. But wasted good 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

glasso wrote: »

I got a bottle no issues through Parcel Motel a couple of weeks ago - seems to be pot luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Or perhaps pot still luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Regarding the gift question I asked a few pages back, I went with a Macallan Amber in the end so it should go down well.

Also, noticed this today on Amazon, pretty good bargin,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dalmore-Year-Single-Malt-Whisky/dp/B00439UFDQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544690880&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=Dalmore+15&psc=1

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Picked up some of that cheap Writers Tears yesterday, didn't crack it open yet, but it encouraged me to go back and have some in the open bottle I have.
    It's a truly lovely drop, a distinct blend and such an easy drinking whiskey, the Mrs loves it too. Very approachable and a great present, so I'll be grabbing a few more when that offer is on.
    After that I was in the mood for another, so went to the back of the shelf and had a dram of the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength, instant hit of Christmas in a glass, delicious palate, nice mouth coating feeling and such a lingering finish.
    Am surprised that the bottle is not empty, but I'm going easy on it, will need to pick up another one soon.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    After that I was in the mood for another, so went to the back of the shelf and had a dram of the Redbreast 12 Cask Strength, instant hit of Christmas in a glass, delicious palate, nice mouth coating feeling and such a lingering finish.
    Am surprised that the bottle is not empty, but I'm going easy on it, will need to pick up another one soon.

Had some myself last night and it really is a lovely whiskey alright. Few drops of water, not too much, really opens up the nose too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You are not allowed to import alcohol from abroad, regardless of the quantity, without an import licence. Please don’t ask how, where or why. BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT ALLOWED!!!
    Any more and there will be sanctions!!

The Gloomster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

mik_da_man wrote: »

Wailin wrote: »
    Had some myself last night and it really is a lovely whiskey alright. Few drops of water, not too much, really opens up the nose too.

My wife was doing the christmas tree last night and poured me a nice double measure of RB cask strength. Its divine stuff. Not as good as a barry crockett or MVR but its bloody well close

brinty wrote: »
    My wife was doing the christmas tree last night and poured me a nice double measure of RB cask strength.

She's a keeper Brinty ;)

Wailin wrote: »
    She's a keeper Brinty ;)

She absolutely is, but then again she poured herself a double grey goose so it was the least she could do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Does any whiskey drinkers here know where I can get a bottle of proper 12 for a gift please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Christ not again. I cant believe that dirt is selling so well :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hogzy wrote: »
    Christ not again. I cant believe that dirt is selling so well :mad:

How very helpful of you.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Does any whiskey drinkers here know where I can get a bottle of proper 12 for a gift please

Try some of the whiskey FB groups.
    Not sure when but there is a second batch due.

Molloys have/had very limited stock coming in. Might be worth contacting them and asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not a drink for people who actually like whiskey.

Plenty of better whiskeys around for less money. Black Bush was 25 in O'Briens, Dunnes and Tesco (not sure if it is now), Writer's Tears gift pack is 35 in Tesco if you can find one.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just buy the empty bottles of proper 12 they are selling fast so can be a bit expensive.
    Fill with any cheap Irish Whiskey and you have the same result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How very helpful of you.

The thread is becoming polluted with people asking the same question.

While most of us will agree proper 12 is a very average whiskey at best if someone wants to buy it what's wrong with asking for advice on where to it is available?
    It's a very large thread that has had other threads merged into it.
    The sources of where a whiskey is available will have changed since the last time the question was asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I wouldn't be a big whiskey drinker but it is something i want to drink more of so ive decided to get myself a bottle for Christmas my budget would be €100 up to €150 ,Redbreast 12 seems to be mentioned a lot on here and it is on the top of my list but anyone have any other recommendations?

I wouldn't be a big whiskey drinker but it is something i want to drink more of so ive decided to get myself a bottle for Christmas my budget would be €100 up to €150 ,Redbreast 12 seems to be mentioned a lot on here and it is on the top of my list but anyone have any other recommendations?

I'd get a bottle of redbreast 12 and a bottle of green spot which should cost about €120 for the two.

Just scroll by maybe?

Cazale wrote: »
    I'd get a bottle of redbreast 12 and a bottle of green spot which should cost about €120 for the two.

I was going to suggest a RB 15, but this is a better suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Has anyone seen the writers tears with the glasses in a tesco in the past couple of days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fair few in Maynooth today

Cazale wrote:

This absolutely
    Two smashing whiskies
    Reasonable price
    Could try yellow spot or some off the green spot variants either

Cazale wrote:

This absolutely
    Two smashing whiskies
    Reasonable price
    Could try yellow spot or some off the green spot variants either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

munster87 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the writers tears with the glasses in a tesco in the past couple of days?

Heaps in carlow if that's any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Heaps in carlow if that's any use to you.

Haven’t gone in search yet, was just seeing if they are readily available. I’ll have a look tomorrow, hopefully won’t need to go as far as Carlow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

L1011 wrote: »
    Fair few in Maynooth today

Tesco Clearwater and Tesco Ashbourne both had them over the last few days. I’m

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Cormo87

Got a couple of bottles of Dingle second single pot still release, had it at Whiskeylive and looking forward to it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Cormo87 wrote: »
    Got a couple of bottles of Dingle second single pot still release, had it at Whiskeylive and looking forward to it again

Where? I am still chasing it!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There are some excellent offers in Tesco up until the 24th, especially if you're interested in trying some Scotch too. You could get one bottle each of Writer's Tears, Bushmills 10 and Talisker 10, all for €95 (or just €75 if you use two copies of the voucher posted in the Tesco voucher thread in Bargain Alerts). Several others there worth trying too, reduced to €30 or €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Cormo87

sceach16 wrote: »
    Where? I am still chasing it!

Got the last one from the Grapevine off license in glasnevin and the last one in the Blackrock cellar off license. Seems very scarce.

Obriens had some in but all the stores I rang had them on hold for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ordered a tasting set from master of malt, and got hit with a customs bill by DHL. Bastards

Mellor wrote: »
    Ordered a tasting set from master of malt, and got hit with a customs bill by DHL. Bastards

Feck em anyways mate, sorry to hear that. Trip north of the border would be well worth it for you.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Did you think tasting sets were exempt from duty?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement