Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Red Breast is winter drinking. Spots for summer. Both have their place. Not sure if that makes sense.

Ok that's me decided so. Bought a bottle before Christmas - need to open it shortly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

Celtic Whiskey have reduced the West Cork Distillers range today.

West Cork original Blend - €26
    West Cork 12 year old (sherry, port,rum) - €45
    West Cork Black Cask - €30

Has anyone had any of the above and are they worth a try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

EugeC90 wrote: »

They're divisive on here, I really like the 12 year old rum cask & as a basic whiskey the original blend, I like to buy Irish & as a standard Powers/Paddy/Jameson replacement I like it. Can often be 20 quid in Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭FlicFlak

EugeC90 wrote: »

Had many bottles of the original blend, nice whiskey, nice sipper, but i usually get it on offer at about 20 quid in Dunnes. Cant go wrong at that!

The 12 year olds are really nice, especially the rum finish, lovely tropical flavours that are unusual, and 45 quid for a 12 year old single malt, great deal!! The port cask is very tasty too!

Had the black cask recently, was a tasty whiskey, similar to the original blend but a little more sweeter. At the regular price id go for this over the original. It really opens out with some water added, really nice nose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Had a bottle of the West Cork 10YO Single Malt recently and it was a very underwhelming drink. It has put me in two minds over buying any other West Cork products when there is so much good whiskey out there vying for our hard earned cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Had a bottle of the West Cork 10YO Single Malt recently and it was a very underwhelming drink. It has put me in two minds over buying any other West Cork products when there is so much good whiskey out there vying for our hard earned cash.

Agreed re 10yo. IMO, the basic West Cork (in Bourbon cask) is much nicer and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

Cheers, I have heard mixed reviews on it. I will keep and eye out in Dunne’s for one so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Going through the airport today and I've a one4all that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Any recommendation on a whiskey/selection of whiskeys up to the 150 mark that's either good value in the airport or rarely seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Going through the airport today and I've a one4all that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Any recommendation on a whiskey/selection of whiskeys up to the 150 mark that's either good value in the airport or rarely seen?

If U are going out of the EU, redbreast cask strength at 60 euro is good value. Redspot at 115 (EU), dont know ex EU is also scarce. There is also a Pearse Cask strength at about 130. See earlier posts on this and previous page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Be weary of "Travel Exclusives" also.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Ended up going for a RB 15, RB CS and a Yellowspot.

Man working in the duty free was a bit jealous :)

Cant wait to try them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Let us know how the 15 and CS compare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A question about the RB Cask strength.
    It there anything different about the blend compared to the normal RB 12. It is it exactly the same stuff, bottled earlier?

I have the RB 12 here. And I've tried the CS. You can't tell for sure by tasting, and it doesn't make a difference really. Just curious.

No difference according to an article in the Irish Times with Gerard Garland, whiskey ambassador for IDL:

“The 15-year-old is made with the same component whiskeys, the same wood, and the same barrels as Redbreast 12-year-old and 12-year-old cask strength."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cheers. That certainly confirms that the components are the same (and also for the 15yo).
    But there's still a possibility that the ratio between those components varies depending on the final product.

Like the way White Bush and Black Bush have the same components. But in very different ratios.

• Advertisement

Yeah true, it's not too clear on whether the 21 year old is the same also.

This is the article here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/redbreast/redbreast-whiskey-the-craft-behind-its-world-leader-status-1.2894990?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Had a glass of 25 year old Red Breast last night. Cost me £30 but worth every penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Changes afoot at the Walsh Distillery... I'm guessing this could mean Writers Tears and Irishman might be sourced from different distillery?

The directors of Walsh Whiskey Distillery have decided to split the business by separating out the existing drinks brands business, built on the Writers’ Tears and The Irishman premium and super-premium Irish whiskeys, from the distillery business at Royal Oak, in Co. Carlow.

https://www.shelflife.ie/walsh-whiskey-and-illva-saronno-agree-to-demerge-joint-venture/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, it was sourced elsewhere originally anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Irishman Founder's Reserve

Very nice, and cracking value at €35

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What's the best site to buy some Scottish whiskey online? Minimal risk with customs, while reasonable cost would be great

Whisky exchange is legit, no customs issues there but because of that not much cheaper than here with postage added. Great selection of whiskies though.

I've purchased from Royal Mile Whiskies in Edinburgh with no custom issues but I guess you can be unlucky too.

Took a risk on Amazon the weekend, ordered Highland Park 12, Green Spot and Talisker, £85 in total.

Fingers knees and toes crossed that they arrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Tried Redbreast Lustau edition over the weekend for the first time. My god it's a reputation well deserved - one of the nicest whiskeys I've ever had - a steal at that price IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Had a visit to the distillery in Slane yesterday. Really nice set up and impressive walk through it. Hadn't tried their whisky so was pleasantly surprised that it was so smooth and a nice flavor of it. Picked up a bottle, couple of tasting glasses,and a water jug and dropper
    Look forward to seeing the place in a few years when they've got a couple of brands going rather than the blend they're producing now to meet demand

Took a risk on Amazon the weekend, ordered Highland Park 12, Green Spot and Talisker, £85 in total.

Fingers knees and toes crossed that they arrive

These arrived today! Great success, I have no idea if I saved much but I reckon I did

Edit, a quick browse of o briens/Whiskey exchange has this order at 150e

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Natterjack Irish Whiskey?

Was anyone at the launch for this last night?

It came up on a social media field over the last few day, i'd never heard of it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

It came up on a social media field over the last few day, i'd never heard of it before.

Looking to grab a bottle. i believe quite a lot of money were pumped into the promotion. Hope it live up to the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's a Great Northern Distillery blended whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just been given a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 yr old, going to have a drop later, am I in for a treat or not..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Roe & Co. is currently €35 in Tesco, a claimed reduction of €10 per bottle.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=298936780

Haven't tried it yet, so bought one and will be doing so in the next few days; looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It is still an astonishing achievement.

Of the whiskeys I have tasted - Macallan, Glenlivet, Jamesons, Glenfiddich, Bushmills, Glenmorangie, something from the US you put in Coke, and some others, The one I think the best by a good margin was The Wine Society's Special highland Blend. So I personally don't believe single malts are special or better than blends, so this achievement from Lidl I find impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

The Nal wrote: »

What's the pick of the bunch ? Was thinking about Yellow Spot but have seen mixed reviews on here.

jh79 wrote: »
    What's the pick of the bunch ? Was thinking about Yellow Spot but have seen mixed reviews on here.

The Knappogue is very nice. I just picked up a bottle of Teeling Single Grain.

The Nal wrote: »
    The Knappogue is very nice. I just picked up a bottle of Teeling Single Grain.

Hah, which Knappogue?
    There's 12, 14, 16 year old versions; I prefer the 14 myself.

Let us know how the Teeling Single Grain goes down.
    I really liked the Kilbeggan 8yo single grain.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hah, which Knappogue?
    There's 12, 14, 16 year old versions; I prefer the 14 myself.

Let us know how the Teeling Single Grain goes down.
    I really liked the Kilbeggan 8yo single grain.

Ive probably drank about 20 litres of Teeling Single Grain in the last few years. Goes down fine!

I've only tasted the 12yr Knappogue. 40 quid is a great price for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Very tempted for the Glendalough Mizunara, seems a steal at 80. Yellow Spot is great it's just some prefer the taste profile of the lower priced Green Spot.

Writer's Tears Red Head is great from my memory too, the standard Writer's Tears didn't do much for me. Personally I also prefer the Glendalough Double Barrel as a better single grain than Teeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Very tempted for the Glendalough Mizunara, seems a steal at 80.

I got it last time it was at that price. Well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

I can't stand wine, should i stay away from whiskey aged in wine barrels?

I don't like sherry but I drink whiskey aged in sherry barrels, so I'm gonna say I don't think you need to.

Well, most Irish Whiskey heads have a very poor opinion of Bourbon yet the vast majority of the whiskey they drink have been aged somewhat in Bourbon casks.

Or the short answer: no

Well, most Irish Whiskey heads have a very poor opinion of Bourbon yet the vast majority of the whiskey they drink have been aged somewhat in Bourbon casks.

A real shame too. Some of the best booze out there when its done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't like sherry but I drink whiskey aged in sherry barrels, so I'm gonna say I don't think you need to.

Back in the day, there was a really old Spanish sherry cask down the back of the Jameson distillery. The head distiller used to draw his monthly quota from this one special barrel.

Then he went and swapped it for poitín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

+one on teelings single grain
    A great whiskey

cnocbui wrote: »

Then he went and swapped it for poitín

I don't believe this part of the story for a second.

Why would the distiller do this when they would have all the new make spirit in the world at their disposal if an unaged spirit is what they wanted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kevk20

Currently enjoying a bottle of Blanton’s single barrel Kentucky bourbon. With a cube of ice, it doesn’t get any better. Best bourbon for my money. Have the barrel strength version also, though at 65%+ (130 proof) it takes a cube or 2 more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Very tempted for the Glendalough Mizunara, seems a steal at 80.

Picked up a bottle recently and really enjoying it. I'm reaching to it much more than the Yellow Spot or RB12.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement