Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

A very very rare one.

All the hype and disgust and not getting one
    will drive these well over 1k I rekon.

1000 bottles is not that rare. All the best of luck flipping your bottle.I managed to get one from a very good friend in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Not even close to that, don’t know where you got that number from they are around 1250€ at open market, still high but not 2k high.

Sorry it was whiskeyhammer.co.uk and not celticwhiskeyauctions, winning bid was £1,725 which is a €1,956 at todays FX rate.

See link:
    https://www.whiskyhammer.co.uk/item/14045/Midleton/Redbreast---32-Year-Old-Dream-Cask--2-glasses.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Hogzy wrote: »
    Sorry it was whiskeyhammer.co.uk and not celticwhiskeyauctions, winning bid was £1,725 which is a €1,956 at todays FX rate.

See link:
    https://www.whiskyhammer.co.uk/item/14045/Midleton/Redbreast---32-Year-Old-Dream-Cask--2-glasses.html

I actually remember that bottle, the very first one made it to auction, the price kinda settled around the 1200-1300 mark since. Luckily I got a bottle from the birdhouse back then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

mik_da_man wrote: »
    That's a good idea!

I didn't get it that night (already had a few drinks in me at that stage) but I tried the Oban Single Malt a few weeks ago. Not a distillery I've had before but I enjoyed it for what it was

Im after sourcing a bottle of Dingle Single Pot Still Batch 2, Red Spot and Jameson 18yr limited reserve for 300eur total.

Would I be mad not to go for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Im after sourcing a bottle of Dingle Single Pot Still Batch 2, Red Spot and Jameson 18yr limited reserve for 300eur total.

You'll find it hard to lose money on those bottles at that price unless you open them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

It's not a single cask.
    A very very rare one.
    It's not really that rare relatively speaking. As less rare than single cask bottling.
    There's a huge buzz about it, but if it becomes an annual thing. That might depreciate the secondary market.
    Primary will never go down obviously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's the old J18 I guess

Drinking or collecting? either way it's good value, and worth picking up at that price.

That's the old J18 I guess

Drinking or collecting? either way it's good value, and worth picking up at that price.

Its the old bottle alright. Id say ill drink the red spot and the Jameson and leave the Dingle gather dust. I have about 4 bottles of other whiskey that I have in the cupboard so once theyre gone the Jameson will be cracked open.

Anyone not get their Dream Cask? I see quite a few people have had delivery but I havnt even had a notification that its been dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone not get their Dream Cask? I see quite a few people have had delivery but I havnt even had a notification that its been dispatched.

I haven't got mine yet or a shipping notification.

At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

It's a blend with the youngest being 20yo and the eldest being 33yo they just went with the youngest on the label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rew wrote: »
    It's a blend with the youngest being 20yo and the eldest being 33yo they just went with the youngest on the label.
    They didn't just go with 20, they had no choice.
    And it's a blend of different casks. But it's not a blended whiskey. It's a single pot still.

The nomenclature is confusing at times.

Mellor wrote: »
    They didn't just go with 20, they had no choice.
    And it's a blend of different casks. But it's not a blended whiskey. It's a single pot still.

The nomenclature is confusing at times.

Yes all that hurts my brain :confused:

I missed out :(

See some mad offers going on for swaps etc, so I'm sure I'll pick one up

I missed out :(

See some mad offers going on for swaps etc, so I'm sure I'll pick one up

800-900 from what I've seen. Mine is still in limbo hoping to word on shipping today.

Got my shipping details, arriving Wednesday.

Got my shipping details, arriving Wednesday.

lol just got the text too

lol just got the text too

If you planning on keeping it the later the delivery the lower the bottle number appears to be.

• Advertisement

If you planning on keeping it the later the delivery the lower the bottle number appears to be.

As in if I delay the delivery theres a chance I could get a different bottle number?

As in if I delay the delivery theres a chance I could get a different bottle number?

The first bottles delivered were 800-900, ones today were 300-400 so they are working backwards though the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Well I went for the uigeadail....

Would happily drink it summer or winter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

G rock wrote:
    Well I went for the uigeadail....

Got a bottle myself recently. Tasty stuff. Picked up a bottle of cask strength red breast the other day too for my sins.

The first bottles delivered were 800-900, ones today were 300-400 so they are working backwards though the numbers.

Arrived a few mins ago (DHL has said Wednesday) numbered in the 50-100 range.

Just looking at my Red Breast cask strength and I see it is only 54.6%. It's batch 1/19. I've seen these at 59.9% in the past but the alcohol percentages seems to have been dropping year on year. Is this just a quirk in the different batch releases or is it deliberate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

I have batch 17 and it's 58.2%, also had batch 18 and that was 56.2% so it seems to be dropping alright. I'd guess though it's just batch variance and not deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Cazale wrote: »
    Just looking at my Red Breast cask strength and I see it is only 54.6%. It's batch 1/19. I've seen these at 59.9% in the past but the alcohol percentages seems to have been dropping year on year. Is this just a quirk in the different batch releases or is it deliberate?

It is not deliberate. They go up and down. I have a full list (not set) of proofs. Away at present so will post Tuesday or Wed.

sceach16 wrote: »
    It is not deliberate. They go up and down. I have a full list (not set) of proofs. Away at present so will post Tuesday or Wed.

This is my list of the strength of the various issues. Mainly noted from photos on websites.

B1/11 57.7 B1/12 58.6 B1/13 59.9 B1/14 58.2 B1/15 57.4

B1/16 57.2 B1/17 58.2 B1/18 56.2 B1/19 54.6

Interesting the last two are the lowest of the lot. I have no idea if this a policy decision or simply a consequence of of an annual selection. As I said earlier, I reckon it it not deliberate but only Irish Distillers can be definitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its the alcohol that evaporates first so the older it gets the lower the alcohol content. So a Cask bottled at the beginning of the year is likely to have a greater strength than one bottled at the end.

Trying some Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength (56.5%) tonight. There is a nice sweet smokiness to it before the alcohol kicks in and it gets fiery. Tasty stuff.

Unchill filtered and natural coloring. Ralfy gives it 90/100.

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote:
    Interesting the last two are the lowest of the lot. I have no idea if this a policy decision or simply a consequence of of an annual selection. As I said earlier, I reckon it it not deliberate but only Irish Distillers can be definitive.

Thanks for the follow up information. Looks like the alcohol volume fluctuates based on your data. I'll open the bottle soon and see how it compares to other years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not tried the regular Dubliner whiskey yet but I see they're launching a range of beer cask aged beers. Unlike Caskmates they are being quite upfront about the beer that was in the casks before. Although I assume by O'Hara's Irish Stout they are referring to Leann Follain as the regular O'Hara's doesn't get barrel aged.

AhQso8f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would be great if the Dubliner range was released as a mini set... can't see me buying more than 1 full size bottle but would love to sample the range :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Mine arrived today, both in the high 100's

Rumours of a special Midleton whiskey coming out with a retail between 30-40k a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Cormo87

Rumours of a special Midleton whiskey coming out with a retail between 30-40k a bottle.

I heard this too from a very reliable source

Great...I will get in fast and buy two and sell one for 60-80k after a few days. It should definitely be more popular than cheap redbreasts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was up north recently & saw writers tears reduced to 22 pounds in asda, picked up all 4 on the shelf!

Was up north recently & saw writers tears reduced to 22 pounds in asda, picked up all 4 on the shelf!

Great Price, I love that stuff..

Had a generous glass of the new Powers Old Fashioned at the request of my local publican yesterday who was being asked to place an order.

I was very surprised to be told it's 38%, it's the smoothest 38% I've ever tasted. Very sweet, it's more a liqueur rather than a whiskey really.

It's aimed to be sold in pubs rather than off licences and won't be cheap at about 8 euro a drop, but it'll sell to the young trendy crowd alright I'd say.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Had a generous glass of the new Powers Old Fashioned at the request of my local publican yesterday who was being asked to place an order.

I was very surprised to be told it's 38%, it's the smoothest 38% I've ever tasted. Very sweet, it's more a liqueur rather than a whiskey really.

It's aimed to be sold in pubs rather than off licences and won't be cheap at about 8 euro a drop, but it'll sell to the young trendy crowd alright I'd say.

This is what whiskey are we drinking this week ! Pass mark is 40%:D:D

This is what whiskey are we drinking this week ! Pass mark is 40%:D:D

Are you actually serious?

Are you actually serious?

No ! Lifes too short for that.

You can't call it irish whiskey if it's less than 40% ABV I thought?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey#Regulations_and_labelling

No ! Lifes too short for that.

Oh, ok.

It's hard to know sometimes when people are joking.

Those green faced smileys and "Stay on thread" headline had me confused.

odyssey06 wrote: »

My mistake, how would you like to punish me?

I'd rather get this over with asap.

odyssey06 wrote: »

Yes, that was my point but it is not called whiskey. It is one of these classic ones where they are trying to use a brand in a slightly different way.

Fair play to them, they are trying to make a crust like us all.

On a general point while I made a sarky comment, it is good to hear whats going in the Powers /Drinks world. So thanks Rows Grower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Travelling to Fort William tomorrow for a weekend with a few friends, we've pool our resources for a mini stash of :

Talisker 10
    Laplroaig 10
    Aberlour 12
    Dalwhinnie 15
    Highland Park 12
    Redbreast 12
    Bushmills 10

Had to add the irish 2 as not everyone in the group is a scotch fan....

My mistake, how would you like to punish me? I'd rather get this over with asap.

No I meant I was curious as to whether Powers are selling a product that does not meet the legal definition of Irish whiskey... as it seemed like a strange move.

But it seems like it's actually a pre-mixed 'Old Fashioned' cocktail, using Powers as its base.
    https://www.irishdistillers.ie/tag/powers-old-fashioned/
    https://www.powerswhiskey.com/en-US/drink/powers-old-fashioned

Clever idea. Must keep an eye out for it as I like an old fashioned.

Powers_OF_KV-002-1080x675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think any of these pre-mixed drinks actually use the branded spirit to provide all the alcohol.

Probably a good dose of neutral grain* spirits to achieve the desired ABV more cheaply. Your average Jack & Coke or Smirnoff Ice drinker isn't going to care.

*(Could be made from whey, wood chips or potatoes for all we know...!)

On the subject of Powers, I picked up a bottle of Three Swallows last weekend and tbh I'm not getting what the big deal is, seems no better than ordinary Powers, I do have a bit of a cold though... Been drinking it straight.

Scrap the cap!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement