Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BeerNut wrote: »

Ah jesus, why did I click that link. I want to hit him with that oar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

But think of all the effort he put into coming up with that brewery name.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

syklops wrote: »
    Ah jesus, why did I click that link.
    Full of teh bantz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is it just me who thinks he looks like Gok Wan*

Feel free to say you don't know who Gok Wan is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Is it just me who thinks he looks like Gok Wan*

Feel free to say you don't know who Gok Wan is.

Whats a "Gok Wan"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it just me who thinks he looks like Gok Wan

There's more than a vague resemblance anyway. Doubt brewing gets as many women to strip off in front of him, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

O'Brien's Whiskey sale on.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

12yr Irishman for €55 is that decent value?

Its the lowest I've seen it in a while, Celtic want 70 for it. Never had it, though.

Writers Tears for 40, there's my loyalty points spend for the year (and a wodge of cash, I don't have that many points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

O'Brien's Whiskey sale on.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/irish-whiskey-sale.html

12yr Irishman for €55 is that decent value?

id put a fiver on top of that and get a bottle of aaran 14, or rebreast 12 or greenspot for a fiver less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Got a bottle of The Glenlivet Nadurra in Duty Free the other day, aged in Olorosso Sherry casks, and bottled at cask strength I'm really, really looking forward to cracking this one open.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had that before it's a cracking dram

Finally actually opened this tonight.

It's a lovely little dram alright, drop of water opens it right up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

irish_goat wrote: »
    https://shop.glenfiddich.com/experimental-series/glenfiddich-ipa-experiment

Glenfiddich have released a whiskey aged in IPA casks. Wonder if this is the start of more craft beer whiskey collaborations or is just a fad?

https://www.fb101.com/2016/03/introducing-jameson-caskmates-kelso-pale-ale-edition/

Jameson have a pale ale caskmates version now. Where do I get it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

cloudatlas wrote: »
    https://www.fb101.com/2016/03/introducing-jameson-caskmates-kelso-pale-ale-edition/

Jameson have a pale ale caskmates version now. Where do I get it?

Only in New York according to the article. If they only made 6 barrels there's probably not a lot knocking round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

irish_goat wrote: »
    Only in New York according to the article. If they only made 6 barrels there's probably not a lot knocking round.

That's such a bummer. I love pale ale and Jameson so I assume I would have been in heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I often throw in a bottle from the budget end to see if I hit upon something and I think this time I did. Been enjoying a bottle of Glen Moray classic the last while. Decided last night, now that it's half gone, that I officially like this one. For the price it has some layers to it. It's a fresh, grassy, quite honeyed, and a bit fruity. A refined little tipple well worth the £22 price tag.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recently bought a bottle of O'Briens whiskey. It's grand on a quiet weeknight when unwinding. It suits when I decide to save the Jameson or Crested.

Received a bottle of Yellow Spot as a gift from work last week. I already had one from last Christmas when I treated myself promising I'd only take it once every other blue moon. Now I can have Yellow Spot every blue moon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Tonight its Johnny Walker Red Label bought in Madrid or maybe on the plane back from Madrid .

Hope its nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ardbeg 10year. Absolutely lovely with two cubes of ice

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ardbeg 10year. Absolutely lovely with two cubes of ice
    Just curious, would you normally take ice with whisky/whiskey?

kbannon wrote: »
    Just curious, would you normally take ice with whisky/whiskey?

I nearly always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Coming home from Glasgow last weekend, picked up a bottle of Laphroaig QA and Bowmore Black Water. I was going to get an Ardbeg, but opted for the Bowmore as the Laphroaig is similar to Ardbeg, and I haven't had the Bowmore before.

Bloody good prices in Glasgow Airport, and with Sterling as it is - you can't really go wrong!

• Advertisement

Was at UFC204 Saturday night and picked up a litre bottle of Auchentoshan spring wood for £39.
    It's nice and drinkable but a but on the sweet side.
    Mate picked up an ardbeg 10yo to replenish a bottle he'd just finished. Regretting not following his lead and taking the ardbeg.
    Op who mentioned the laphraoig qa, did you open and was it nice? Had a bottle in my hand but went with the spring wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Coming home from Glasgow last weekend, picked up a bottle of Laphroaig QA and Bowmore Black Water. I was going to get an Ardbeg, but opted for the Bowmore as the Laphroaig is similar to Ardbeg, and I haven't had the Bowmore before.

Bloody good prices in Glasgow Airport, and with Sterling as it is - you can't really go wrong!

Don't be freaking me out!
    It's Bowmore black rock.
    Didn't relish going to war with Santory over the Blackwater trademark.

brinty wrote: »
    Was at UFC204 Saturday night and picked up a litre bottle of Auchentoshan spring wood for £39.
    It's nice and drinkable but a but on the sweet side.
    Mate picked up an ardbeg 10yo to replenish a bottle he'd just finished. Regretting not following his lead and taking the ardbeg.
    Op who mentioned the laphraoig qa, did you open and was it nice? Had a bottle in my hand but went with the spring wood
    I've got the Laphroaig qa and the Laphroaig 10. It's a personal taste but I like the 10y better. The qa is lovely tho.

Didn't like QA at all. All the smoke and nothing else.

I've got the Laphroaig qa and the Laphroaig 10. It's a personal taste but I like the 10y better. The qa is lovely tho.

I have the 10 yo unopened so look forward to that being opened

I haven't opened the QA yet. Still getting through some Cardhu and the end of some Highland Park.

I've had the 10yo before and loved it. Thought I'd pick up the QA for a change. Read mixed reviews but love trying new flavours!

I haven't opened the QA yet. Still getting through some Cardhu and the end of some Highland Park.

Almost finished a cardhu
    Enjoyed it a lot

I'll pick up another when I clear my ever increasing backlog

brinty wrote: »
    Almost finished a cardhu
    Enjoyed it a lot

I'll pick up another when I clear my ever increasing backlog

Just out of curiousity, what would most folks do when they have numerous bottles of different whiskies. Gradually make their way down through all of them, or go one at a time?

I was doing the former for a while, but found I'd come to the end of the bottles in one go, and have to replenish - which isn't cheap! So now I'm trying to finish one before opening another. Maybe have 2 open at a time. One Irish one Scotch etc... with maybe another just for weekend sipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I love having a few open at the same time for the variety and it seems like no one bottle is getting hammered. However, if it's open it tends to get drunk. So I save that luxury for the holidays. Won't be long now!

• Advertisement

Just out of curiousity, what would most folks do when they have numerous bottles of different whiskies. Gradually make their way down through all of them, or go one at a time?

I was doing the former for a while, but found I'd come to the end of the bottles in one go, and have to replenish - which isn't cheap! So now I'm trying to finish one before opening another. Maybe have 2 open at a time. One Irish one Scotch etc... with maybe another just for weekend sipping.
    I have them all open. I don't think I have the will power not to!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement