Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

More like 85 euro in the bars where I live, are there bars charging 6 euro a drop of Paddy or Jameson?

There would be in Dublin for sure. Maybe not Paddy but certainly for Jameson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

More like 85 euro in the bars where I live, are there bars charging 6 euro a drop of Paddy or Jameson?

It may astound you but some people don't live in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It may astound you but some people don't live in Ireland.

Don't give up the day job just yet if you're thinking of becoming a comedian.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't give up the day job just yet if you're thinking of becoming a comedian.

Eh, likewise?

Hogzy wrote: »
    There would be in Dublin for sure. Maybe not Paddy but certainly for Jameson.

That's tearing the arse out of it in fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don’t live in Ireland. I was going off Dublin being around the €5 mark. Plus a bit more for a mixer.

Example (granted it’s a premium venue is a high rent area)
    https://searsonsbar.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/searsons-irish-whiskey-menu-1.pdf

How much is a whiskey and mixer where you live?
    But even at €85, the point stands. People pay a huge mark-up and don’t blink. But a similar amount on a premium and it’s crazy.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don’t live in Ireland. I was going off Dublin being around the €5 mark. Plus a bit more for a mixer.

Example (granted it’s a premium venue is a high rent area)
    https://searsonsbar.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/searsons-irish-whiskey-menu-1.pdf

How much is a whiskey and mixer where you live?
    But even at €85, the point stands. People pay a huge mark-up and don’t blink. But a similar amount on a premium and it’s crazy.

It's 4.20 a drop for Paddy or Power's in the 6 nearest pubs to where I live, you can have a dash of red or white lemonade from a large bottle for free with that.

In my local all the Method and Madness as well as Yellow Spot are 7.50, Midleton very rare is 17 euro a drop and Redbreast 21yr is 18.50.

It's 4.20 a drop for Paddy or Power's in the 6 nearest pubs to where I live, you can have a dash of red or white lemonade from a large bottle for free with that.
    An extra 80c in Dublin is hardly scandalous. But I’m sure you’d get charged more in say temple bar. But above still applies at those prices. It’s a mark up people accept without blinking.

An extra 80c in Dublin is hardly scandalous. But I’m sure you’d get charged more in say temple bar. But above still applies at those prices. It’s a mark up people accept without blinking.

20 drops in a bottle so to make 120 euro off a bottle it would need to be 6 euro a drop.

20 drops in a bottle so to make 120 euro off a bottle it would need to be 6 euro a drop.
    I said €100-120. The prices I posted were around €5. The extra €1 (if you have it) is Coke or Ginger Ale. Because let’s be honest, only an absolute savage would mixer red lemonade with whiskey. ;)

But none of that is actually relevant to the point.

• Advertisement

I said €100-120. The prices I posted were around €5. The extra €1 (if you have it) is Coke or Ginger Ale. Because let’s be honest, only an absolute savage would mixer red lemonade with whiskey. ;)

But none of that is actually relevant to the point.

The discussion was about the price of whiskey.

The point you made was Paddy/Jameson was making 100-120 euro per bottle in bars and people were happy to pay that rate.

You then put up a price list of a premium venue in a high rent area where both products are 5.10 a drop, so what you posted doesn't add up.

I wouldn't be one to cast judgement on what other people prefer to mix with their whiskey but we're all different.

Anyway back on topic, it's a tad early in the day but I'm currently enjoying a drop of Seven Hills VAT.

Possibly the nicest tasting whisky I've tried so far.

Sláinte.

The point you made was Paddy/Jameson was making 100-120 euro per bottle in bars and people were happy to pay that rate.

You then put up a price list of a premium venue in a high rent area where both products are 5.10 a drop, so what you posted doesn't add up.
    Dublin is the most populated place so I used Dublin prices. But the point is still applies whether it's at 85 euro. I don't see how that's hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Nikka coffey grain. It's very light and tasty, lovely freshness, but it isn't a patch on nikka from the barrel. At the price point I'd definitely be going Irish.

Jameson Caskmates Stout edition.

Smooth enough with a little bit of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

O' Neill's from Dunnes .. it's not bad actually.. West Cork Distillers are the producers I think .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Teeling Brabazon single malt, vol 1. Very nice, 49.5%, no colouring or filtration. Aged almost entirely in ex-sherry casks so rich and spicey with some fruitiness.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Nikka coffey grain. It's very light and tasty, lovely freshness, but it isn't a patch on nikka from the barrel. At the price point I'd definitely be going Irish.
    I agree that "From the Barrel" is superior to Coffey grain.

Try Coffey Malt you get a chance. For me it pips the Barrel slightly. But that may be recency bias, as I a bottle of malt in the press.
    Wailin wrote: »
    Teeling Brabazon single malt, vol 1. Very nice, 49.5%, no colouring or filtration. Aged almost entirely in ex-sherry casks so rich and spicey with some fruitiness.

I seen this in the off-license, wasn't interest as I though it was overpriced. But sherry cask might have sold me.
    It's on the birthday list now.

Yeah it's just under €80, certainly not cheap but it's a rarity in Irish whiskey, a single malt aged in sherry barrels. I'd recommend it for sure as a nice present to oneself!

I also picked up batch 2 which uses port casks rather than sherry. Remains unopened so can't say how it is, but I have not been disappointed with any Teeling I've tried so far.

Yeah it's just under €80, certainly not cheap but it's a rarity in Irish whiskey, a single malt aged in sherry barrels. I'd recommend it for sure as a nice present to oneself!

I also picked up batch 2 which uses port casks rather than sherry. Remains unopened so can't say how it is, but I have not been disappointed with any Teeling I've tried so far.
    I can't remember what the price was then. Just check the off license and they have batch 2 now, listed as clearance at $100 (about €60).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just back from holidays in the Canaries so took advantage of the low prices and brought home some treats. Currently working on Johnnie Walker Double Black. A lovely sup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Have you compared both of those with Nikka Days by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That's exactly how pricing works.
    They'd be really stupid to charge less than what people are willing to pay for it.
    Supply and demand and all that.

Yeah, it totally makes business sense.
    But can't you get whiskey just as good for half the price?

It’s my birthday next week. Going to continue the tradition of buying myself a bottle of whiskey.
    Have a few in mind, interested in opinions and suggestions.
    Generally a fan of pot still whiskey over smokey/peaty scotch. And fond of sherry cask I suppose.

Currently list;
    • Redspot
    • Dalmore 15/Cigar
    • Teeling Brabazon*

*I also recent heard of a Teeling whiskey finished in Jim Barry Armagh casks - an Australian red wine that’s on my wine list for a while. More info needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'd ignore the Red Spot to be honest. It's tasty (of course it is) and a nice one to have in the collection, but it'll be the only bottle I ever buy of it.

Both it and the Yellow are a bit of a cod, playing off the universal love of the Green. Just nowhere near value for money.

Of the three choices my preference would be the Teeling. I just recently finished a bottle of the Dalmore 15 so fresh in my mind. A nice dram, but the Teeling is even nicer. There's a lovely freshness to it that the Dalmore lacks but it still packs the sherry flavours in big time (if it's series 1 you're talking about, 2 is port finished). A bonus, for me anyway, is no filtration, natural colour and 49.5% vol. Complete opposite of the Dalmore.

The Redspot disappointed me to be honest, and I think Greenspot is a better all rounder.

But if you really want to treat yourself and love a good sherry whisky, then I would look no further than Glendronach 18 allardice. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. It has a richness and depth you'll rarely find in another whisky. And yes, natural colour etc etc!

I'll be ordering again when this bottle is gone.

48647215161_1d27603923_c.jpg

Getting harder and harder to find too.

• Advertisement

I'd ignore the Red Spot to be honest. It's tasty (of course it is) and a nice one to have in the collection, but it'll be the only bottle I ever buy of it.

Both it and the Yellow are a bit of a cod, playing off the universal love of the Green. Just nowhere near value for money.
    Would you still ignore the Redspot if it was available for green spot price?
    I’m happy to put value aside on this one.
    Of the three choices my preference would be the Teeling. I just recently finished a bottle of the Dalmore 15 so fresh in my mind. A nice dram, but the Teeling is even nicer. There's a lovely freshness to it that the Dalmore lacks but it still packs the sherry flavours in big time (if it's series 1 you're talking about, 2 is port finished). A bonus, for me anyway, is no filtration, natural colour and 49.5% vol. Complete opposite of the Dalmore.

The Redspot disappointed me to be honest, and I think Greenspot is a better all rounder.

But if you really want to treat yourself and love a good sherry whisky, then I would look no further than Glendronach 18 allardice. Absolutely gorgeous stuff. It has a richness and depth you'll rarely find in another whisky. And yes, natural colour etc etc!

I'll be ordering again when this bottle is gone.

48647215161_1d27603923_c.jpg

Getting harder and harder to find too.

If Batch 1 is available that’s the go. But would your recommendation stand for batch 2?

This the the Armagh I mentioned;
    As part of this innovative mission we have collaborated with like-minded innovators Jim Barry Winemakers on this Limited Edition Bottling of Single Malt. The Barry Family have been involved in the creation of world class wine in Australia for over 60 years. The ex-shiraz barrels chosen for this particular bottling consist of Jim Barry’s 2016 super premium limited release aptly named “The Armagh”. Concentrated dark fruit flavours of blackberry and cherry intermingle with liquorice and creamy oak, creating a single malt to be savoured. This release is the first Irish Whiskey ever released having been matured in Australian Shiraz barrels and is limited to just 2000 bottles.
    http%3A%2F%2Fyaffa%2Dcdn%2Es3%2Eamazonaws%2Ecom%2Fyaffadsp%2Fimages%2FdmImage%2FSourceImage%2Fteeling%2Dx%2Djim%2Dbarry%2D%2Dhighresfix4%2Ejpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would you still ignore the Redspot if it was available for green spot price?
    I’m happy to put value aside on this one.

Ah for the extra age and, yes, the prestige of it, I'd probably grab the Red if it was the same price. I'd probably take the Green Leoville Barton ahead of it though

If Batch 1 is available that’s the go. But would your recommendation stand for batch 2?

This the Armagh I mentioned

I can't advise on that one mellor, I have it but haven't opened it yet. The tasting notes on Celtic whiskey site look very interesting and it did win an award at the world whisky awards. I reckon it would be a very nice present tbh!

That Armagh looks very interesting indeed. Is it only available down under? Can't find much info on it online.

That Armagh looks very interesting indeed. Is it only available down under? Can't find much info on it online.

I’m not sure about availability. But I only heard of it recently. Only 2000 bottles, could well be an Australian exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Effects wrote: »

Have you compared both of those with Nikka Days by any chance?
    I haven't, no. Only have the two mentioned and not tried the Days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got gifted a bottle of West Cork 10 today - presuming its Cooley. Have been quite harsh on previous West Cork products (including one gifted by the same person - they have a holiday home near the distillery) so this'll be interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Try Coffey Malt you get a chance. For me it pips the Barrel slightly. But that may be recency bias, as I a bottle of malt in the press.

Id agree Nika Coffey Malt is better then Barrel and Barrel is the last bottle I drank

L1011 wrote: »
    Got gifted a bottle of West Cork 10 today - presuming its Cooley. Have been quite harsh on previous West Cork products (including one gifted by the same person - they have a holiday home near the distillery) so this'll be interesting.

Cooley. Has to be Cooley. Decent enough none the less; and vastly better than the liquers from the same crowd I've had before (Drombeg/Lough Hyne); although they made those and didn't make this.

*fully expects someone to provide absolute undeniable proof that its Bushmills*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had a generous glass of the new Powers Old Fashioned at the request of my local publican yesterday who was being asked to place an order.
    I was very surprised to be told it's 38%, it's the smoothest 38% I've ever tasted. Very sweet, it's more a liqueur rather than a whiskey really.
    It's aimed to be sold in pubs rather than off licences and won't be cheap at about 8 euro a drop, but it'll sell to the young trendy crowd alright I'd say.

Spotted this on shelf in Dunnes, selling for about €25 for 500ml which is a bit steep for pre-mixed Powers and bitters:
    https://www.irishdistillers.ie/a-bold-move-for-powers-with-a-new-look-and-its-first-ever-bottled-cocktail/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just opened a bottle of 8 year old Highland Black.

A very nice whisky, no harshness whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

Just opened a bottle of 8 year old Highland Black.

A very nice whisky, no harshness whatsoever.

Snap , literally just the did the same , very easy sipping whisky . The queen Margot 8 year old in Lidl is almost on a par in my opinion.

Value for money on Highland Black is impossible to beat without bringing it over a border with you basically. Speculation that its a Glenmorangie blend on various sites that could be true or could be one person saying it and everyone else repeating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Benriach peated. Absolutely beautiful.

Someone also gifted me a bottle of Proper Twelve. There’s an almost synthetic vanilla taste off it. Hard to describe, not to my taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was gifted a bottle of Jura Single Malt "travel exclusive" The Road.

Matured in American White Oak ex-bourbon barrels and enhanced with a warm finish from hand-selected Pedro Ximénez Sherry casks that previously held 20 year old Pedro Ximénez Sherry wines

ABV (Alcohol by Volume) - 43.6%

A decent standard and quite drinkable, but very oily, not the most pleasant sensation in a whisky. €50 in Schiphol airport currently I'm told

Did you put ice in it? Will whip out any oils on non chill filtered whiskey. I drank 40% Jura from the fridge before for another reason (it was so light flavoured it tasted like water with ice in it - but still tasted better cold) so that could be an option if you are using ice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Many thanks, I'll try that.

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you put ice in it? Will whip out any oils on non chill filtered whiskey. I drank 40% Jura from the fridge before for another reason (it was so light flavoured it tasted like water with ice in it - but still tasted better cold) so that could be an option if you are using ice.
    I think it is chill filtered though. So wouldn’t be that if so.

Tbh, Chill filtered vrs unfiltered isn’t something I’m overly familiar with. I genuinely don’t know if it’s worth the fuss.
    But wouldn’t sticking non-chill filter whiskey into the fridge or with oil numb the supposed benefit.

Well, if you're having it with ice it'll have quite similar impacts either way.

May not do anything here at all anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Doesn't look great, the only one that stands out is the Glendalough Mizunara for €80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

actuar90 wrote: »
    Doesn't look great, the only one that stands out is the Glendalough Mizunara for €80

€3 off a €63 bottle of whiskey. Less than 5% off. How can they call that a sale:confused:

Id be tempted to pick up the Glendalough at that price though. Tis a nice drop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yeah I looked and too was disappointed. Now and then they used to have good offers and deals like Black Bush for €25 several times a year.

Yeah, small discounts. A fiver off Connemara (I still remember when it was introduced and could be found in Dunnes for €25).

Powers on sale for €28? Dunnes have been having the first sale in a long time on Powers. I've been picking it up for €25 for most of August.

They still have Black Bush for 25/26 frequently. A few weeks ago most recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yup, missed it in the last sale. Had to order one this time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 EugeC90

Looks like the Glendalough Mizunara has gone from the website. Was hoping to pick up a bottle of that and the yellow spot over the weekend.

Powers John Lane also sold out online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement