Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Online stock = The Beacon store in Sandyford stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HANK DINGALINK

BUSHMILLS GOLDEN #800

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

L1011 wrote: »
    Did you put ice in it? Will whip out any oils on non chill filtered whiskey. I drank 40% Jura from the fridge before for another reason (it was so light flavoured it tasted like water with ice in it - but still tasted better cold) so that could be an option if you are using ice.

Tried the ice, it did dispel the oily sensation, but sadly washed out most of the flavour too. I'll just have to stick with the oiliness and not get too hung up on it.

Thanks for the tip though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

I would never add ice to a good whiskey, it kills the flavours. It's a shame when you see someone ordering a redbreast 15 and then asking for ice! Everyone has their own way of enjoying a whiskey, but you're not getting the true taste by chilling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I’m attending work event in Teelings tonight.

Any particular ones that you’d recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

FionnK86 wrote: »

24 year old if they'll let you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FionnK86 wrote: »

Most likely they wheel out the main trio. Maybe with one or two of the specials. Try them all imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Online stock = The Beacon store in Sandyford stock levels.

Interesting, but I'm disappointed that they removed the store checker function

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Wailin wrote: »
    I would never add ice to a good whiskey, it kills the flavours. It's a shame when you see someone ordering a redbreast 15 and then asking for ice! Everyone has their own way of enjoying a whiskey, but you're not getting the true taste by chilling it.

It's a bigger shame to see someone order a dearer whiskey and a packet of bacon fries at the same time and then proceed to eat half the bacon fries before tasting the whiskey.

I've seen it happen more than once and compared to that sacrilege a little bit of ice is no harm at all.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I believe it :< :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Having a Brucey Bonus drop of Drumguish.

I picked up the carton yesterday morning with the intention of using it for a rifle scope I was posting.

Opened the carton and there inside was the bottle with a good drop of the uisce beatha still left in it, it hadn't been returned to the drinks cabinet possibly due to inebriation.

These are the moments to cherish, sláinte.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You’re preaching to the choir. I agree that whiskey is best tasted at room temp (or even just above). It’s how I’d take any premium whiskey.

But I also hunk it’s a tad arrogant (can’t think or a better word) to expect everyone to have the same taste. Same as rare vrs we’ll done steal. It’s their choice, their loss.
    Doesn’t change the drop in my glass. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Enjoyed the tour of Teelings. Triple tasting was good and even a philistine such as myself could taste the difference between the wine-casked and more traditional whiskeys.

The guides tip to put a small bit of water to break up the oils was great, really made the difference in tasting the whiskey and not the high volume of alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    You’re preaching to the choir. I agree that whiskey is best tasted at room temp (or even just above). It’s how I’d take any premium whiskey.

But I also hunk it’s a tad arrogant (can’t think or a better word) to expect everyone to have the same taste. Same as rare vrs we’ll done steal. It’s their choice, their loss.

No way, anyone who takes their steak well done, such as my wife, is an absolute freak.

Chilling whiskey is a taste preference. It's not an issue in Ireland, where I'd never put ice in it, but in hot countries where you need the drink to be refreshing it makes perfect sense.

Ah yeah I know. My advice to anyone who's starting out in whiskey is to add a drop of water rather than ice so you're not cooling it as much. But to each his own of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I use one small ice cube in speyside scotch or similar whiskies eg bushmills 10.

If its pot still Irish a splash of spring water... tried single ice cube at first and didnt work so well.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Some pubs up light their spirit shelves making the whiskey warm. In these circumstances, I find that a cube of ice melts quickly giving a little dilution and brings the temp down below "warm".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not sure if this has been done elsewhere, but Bradley's in Cork have started a hip flask refill programme - buy a hip flask for €20 and fill it up (extra cost!) with a quarter bottle of a selection of whiskies. Empty it and come back and start again! Selection is mostly low to mid priced whiskies - cheapest is Slane Triple Casked @ €13, priciest is Bushmills 16 @ €33. Would be good to see some more premium drops, but still a very good idea I thnk.

Presume you absolutely have to have their own branded / sized flask and I can't sneak in with the half bottle one I have here? :pac:

Not sure if this has been done elsewhere, but Bradley's in Cork have started a hip flask refill programme - buy a hip flask for €20 and fill it up (extra cost!) with a quarter bottle of a selection of whiskies. Empty it and come back and start again! Selection is mostly low to mid priced whiskies - cheapest is Slane Triple Casked @ €13, priciest is Bushmills 16 @ €33. Would be good to see some more premium drops, but still a very good idea I thnk.

It's a nice idea. The mark-up seems very high compare to the bottle prices.
    M&M Single Grain is €20 for a quarter bottle refill. A bottle is €50.
    Redbreast is €25/€60.

Obviously there needs to be some mark up. But approaching half bottle price is a bit much.

• Advertisement

This the the Armagh I mentioned;
    As part of this innovative mission we have collaborated with like-minded innovators Jim Barry Winemakers on this Limited Edition Bottling of Single Malt. The Barry Family have been involved in the creation of world class wine in Australia for over 60 years. The ex-shiraz barrels chosen for this particular bottling consist of Jim Barry’s 2016 super premium limited release aptly named “The Armagh”. Concentrated dark fruit flavours of blackberry and cherry intermingle with liquorice and creamy oak, creating a single malt to be savoured. This release is the first Irish Whiskey ever released having been matured in Australian Shiraz barrels and is limited to just 2000 bottles.
    Decided to go with Teelings Armagh cask finish for my Birthday.
    Called into the bottle shop, but no sign OF it. Brabazon was also sold out.
    Left with nothing but a frown.

Yesterday morning, the missus hands me gift bag. A book, a card, dinner vouchers, and a box...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Presume you absolutely have to have their own branded / sized flask and I can't sneak in with the half bottle one I have here? :pac:

L.Mulligan Whiskey Shop have a similar service, essentially the hip flask you buy from them is your "membership card", so you have to have it fill up. Assume Bradley's is similar!

Decided to go with Teelings Armagh cask finish for my Birthday.
    Called into the bottle shop, but no sign OF it. Brabazon was also sold out.
    Left with nothing but a frown.

Yesterday morning, the missus hands me gift bag. A book, a card, dinner vouchers, and a box...

Very nice! Let us know what you think of it. I still can't find any info on it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Picked up a bottle of Red Spot in SuperValu last night. I was very underwhelmed. It tasted quite harsh - almost like mouthwash. I find the Yellow Spot sherry flavour is overpowering. I prefer Green Spot out of the three.

Am I missing something with Red Spot? Maybe I need to come back to it again.

I got 2 bottles of Caskmates (IPA & stout) for €25ea in O’Briens recently. Fantastic value at that price. I much prefer them to any of the Spots.

Any Islay recommendations? I loved the Lagavulin 16.

Not a fan of the red spot either, especially considering the very nice whiskies you can get at that price point.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is a lovely Islay, probably my favourite from that region along with the 10 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ARDBEG 1976 Manager's Choice Sherry 

Speaking of Ardbeg, the Whisky Exchange is celebrating its 20th anniversary by raffling the chance to buy a 7,500 quid bottle of 1976 Ardbeg for its original price of 99. Little shot at winning but good marketing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Any Islay recommendations? I loved the Lagavulin 16.

Laphroaig 10 or Quarter Cask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Can’t see how this is legal as they are permitted to sell only sealed containers of alcohol. Something which is filled and refilled on the premises surely couldn’t Qualify.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Why not? Some off licences do draught beer to take away. What's the difference?

• Advertisement

Without actually checking the law, I was never aware of a restriction on sealed containers. If its just closed containers; a hip flask is closed (but again I've never seen that before)

Its not *that* long ago that both whiskey and domestic beer products were sometimes bottled on-site in off-sales premises. Not my lifetime but within living memory. And we've extremely old legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I was curious about this so checked up the Irish Statute Book. Theres nothing in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1927 or 1960 in relation to alcohol being sold in unsealed containers.

As long as the alcohol being sold is for consumption off premises there shouldnt be an issue. Section 40 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1960 says that alcohol being sold in a sealed container must be marked to show the quantity of contents contained therein, but nothing else really.

So now ye know :P

Marcusm wrote: »
    Can’t see how this is legal as they are permitted to sell only sealed containers of alcohol. Something which is filled and refilled on the premises surely couldn’t Qualify.

A hip flask with the lid on is sealed, just as much bottle of whiskey, wine or anything with a screwcap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Without actually checking the law, I was never aware of a restriction on sealed containers. If its just closed containers; a hip flask is closed (but again I've never seen that before)

Its not *that* long ago that both whiskey and domestic beer products were sometimes bottled on-site in off-sales premises. Not my lifetime but within living memory. And we've extremely old legislation.

That’a Good point. It seems to be covered in that alcohol can be sold in a reusable container per Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 which specifies what information (health warnings etc) must accompany the reusable container. I think that means it can’t be any random bottle or hip flask.

Is that section even commenced yet?

Harris is intending to go on a commencement spree including the now quite aged but uncommenced ban on loyalty points (so spend spend spend your O'Briens cards!) of course.

Hand you / stick on a very poorly adherant sticker of the health warnings with each refill if required sounds like a loophole anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is that section even commenced yet?
    No. minimum pricing and labelling still have a few legal hurdles to go. The labelling is currently subject to a public consultation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Myself and my brother cleared out some bottles last weekend that were close to the end - a standard glenmorangie and arbeg 10 year old. Found a couple of miniatures in a gift set - one 12 year old redbreast and a green spot - for good measure. All in all a good night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Has anyone used Master of Malt lately? Can you ship to parcel motel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Effects wrote: »
    Has anyone used Master of Malt lately? Can you ship to parcel motel?

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For those in the UK Amazon are selling Gentleman Jack for £23.

Anyone tried Writers’ Tears Copper Japanese Cask Finish yet? I loved the Glendalough version, so interested to hear what this is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Done the Teelings distillery tour yesterday, really recommend it.

Anyone tried Writers’ Tears Copper Japanese Cask Finish yet? I loved the Glendalough version, so interested to hear what this is like.

Apparently Japanese oak needs a long time to impart it’s flavour. Shorter periods as said to have a bad flavour from the compounds releases easily.

I’m sure it will taste fine. But it seems more like a RWC/Japanese whiskey cash grab rather than a legit aging.

Maybe it's just timed well? It'd be interested to know how long it's spent in the casks.

Maybe it's just timed well? It'd be interested to know how long it's spent in the casks.

9 months

http://walshwhiskey.com/2019/09/writers-tears-japanese-finish/

We've known the RWC was in Japan for a decade and we knew we'd qualified in 2015 (although the chances of not qualifying are infinitesimal anyway). So they had a lot longer if they'd wanted to!

We've known the RWC was in Japan for a decade and we knew we'd qualified in 2015 (although the chances of not qualifying are infinitesimal anyway). So they had a lot longer if they'd wanted to!
    Marketing departmetns don't look that far ahead. Besides, the brand has only been around 10 years. Taking a punt on Japan would have been a big ask in the early days.

I haven't tried it, so could be amazing. I just find the japanese cask a bit of a novelty (and possibly a mistake). Given the choice I'd go for the sherry cask option personally.

It is a novelty alright, but that's not to say it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Black barrel is €40 in SuperValu at the moment.

I know someone who picked up a bottle of the Japanese cask Writers Tears. Won't open it as they think it'll increase in value.
    I had been hoping for a review!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For those in the UK Amazon are selling Gentleman Jack for £23.

Do Amazon UK post glass bottles to Ireland?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement