Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Have a bottle here myself too. Was not blown away by it initially to be honest. I went back to it after a few weeks and it's opened up nicely. The subtle peat and Japanese oak is a strange, but nice, combo.

I agree on the price, expensive like all japanese whisky and I'd prefer to spend the money on a nice scotch instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭FlicFlak

Opened a bottle of the new Glendalough pot still whiskey last friday, and had another glass last night. Theres an overwhelming taste of burnt rubber and sulfur, and i say this as not being sensitive to sulfur at all!
    It is tree 3 and cask 3 so hope the others arent like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FlicFlak wrote: »
    Opened a bottle of the new Glendalough pot still whiskey last friday, and had another glass last night. Theres an overwhelming taste of burnt rubber and sulfur, and i say this as not being sensitive to sulfur at all!
    It is tree 3 and cask 3 so hope the others arent like this!

I wonder who made it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What’s Teeling’s Pot still like?
    Trip home soon and will probably pick up some new Irish stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Any of the Teelings range are fantastic.

I've had bottles of the single grain and small batch, both we're fantastic. I've a bottle of revival unopened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Mellor wrote: »
    What’s Teeling’s Pot still like?
    Trip home soon and will probably pick up some new Irish stuff.

Batch one didn't float my boat.
    They're on batch 3 now (I think), so could be better.
    I'd be a big fan of most things Teeling have made so far.

I wonder who made it for them.

They made it themselves as far as i know. Its their first release of their own distilled and matured whiskey. Only 4 years old.

FlicFlak wrote: »
    They made it themselves as far as i know. Its their first release of their own distilled and matured whiskey. Only 4 years old.

I've been led to believe that they haven't produced any whiskey yet. Not a drop.
    Does it, explicitly, say on the label that they made it?
    If they did make it, it would be glaringly obvious on the label.

I've been led to believe that they haven't produced any whiskey yet. Not a drop.
    Does it, explicitly, say on the label that they made it?
    If they did make it, it would be glaringly obvious on the label.

Yeah, you're right. Not their own, contract distilled by another distillery. Think they just did the irish oak barrels to put it in, could be wrong on that aswell though!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Batch one didn't float my boat.
    They're on batch 3 now (I think), so could be better.
    I'd be a big fan of most things Teeling have made so far.

They are on the commercial release now, no more batches. I had batch one and two, wasn't overly impressed with them. Must try the standard/commercial release now and see.

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Any of the Teelings range are fantastic.

I've had bottles of the single grain and small batch, both we're fantastic. I've a bottle of revival unopened
    I’m familiar with their original trinity. I think the grain is the weakest. The malt and small batch are much better. And I’ve a limited armagh cask finish bottle here.

But I was asking specifically about the pot still as it’s often a style that’s very different.
    Any other new pot stills that are recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Recently got a present of Glenfarclas 21. It's fine, but not sure I could distinguish it from the crowd. I was surprised really - since it's 21 years old. Maybe it just needs time to open up?

Was away at the week-end & picked up a bottle of Caol Ila Distillers Edition (distilled 2004, bottled 2016, so 12 year old). Never heard of this before, but I've tried a few Islays at this stage & I usually like them. This is no exception. Not quite as smoky as the Lagavullin 16, but still has that smoky peaty Islay taste. Very nice.

Bought a bottle of Midleton a couple of weeks back. I'll be keeping that for a special occasion - maybe Christmas. Picked up a bottle of RB12 this eve. Still the best bang for the buck whiskey I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Anyone try the Laphroaig Select? It is reduced in Sainsburys but can't find it for a similar price down here, wondering if it is worth going for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Quintis wrote:
    Anyone try the Laphroaig Select? It is reduced in Sainsburys but can't find it for a similar price down here, wondering if it is worth going for?

It's a very young and slight whiskey. Nothing of note about it. I'd go for the 10 instead.

Whiskey live has sold out both days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I saw Powers Three Swallows SPS reduced from 45 to 38.50 in DS.

So I used a voucher and paid 28.50, which is very good for a SPS.

Is it as good as Redbreast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Geuze wrote: »
    I saw Powers Three Swallows SPS reduced from 45 to 38.50 in DS.

So I used a voucher and paid 28.50, which is very good for a SPS.

Is it as good as Redbreast?

I don't think so personally but it's great value at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm going to use my 10 off 50 tesco voucher on a whiskey I havent tried & options are limited there.

Works out the same price for Method & madness single grain & any of the makers series from jameson, anyone have any recommendations?

I've tried one of the dearer m&m & loved the virgin oak effect, are the makers series anything to write home about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone know if the RB12 is still 30GBP in Sainsburys up north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone know if the RB12 is still 30GBP in Sainsburys up north?

Hey, is £40 now... has been for 6 months maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Would like to try Jameson Caskmates, but can't decide between the Stout and IPA. I'm no connoisseur, but if it helps I really like a smooth tasting whiskey like Redbreast 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,812 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Would like to try Jameson Caskmates, but can't decide between the Stout and IPA. I'm no connoisseur, but if it helps I really like a smooth tasting whiskey like Redbreast 12.

Tried the stout and thought it was smooth. Haven't tried the IPA yet.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Haven't tried either but from speaking to those who have, the stout seems to be the better of the two.

I have both. The stout is the better of the two. The IPA is so subtle it's almost non existent. If I was to get a bottle of Jameson at €35-50 I would go for a bottle of crested or black barrel instead.

Having a few Talisker 10 tonight. Smokey but smooth at the same time.

• Advertisement

Cazale wrote: »
    I have both. The stout is the better of the two. The IPA is so subtle it's almost non existent. If I was to get a bottle of Jameson at €35-50 I would go for a bottle of crested or black barrel instead.

Aye - of the Jamesons I've tried in that bracket the Crested would be the one I'd return to.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A lovely drop all right. Delighted I picked up a good few when they were €30 in Tesco last year!

I've had a few bottles of each and really like both on ice. If I had to choose one, I'd opt for the IPA. Even though I like my Guinness, I found the IPA tastes fresher. If you can get the Caskmates at €25, maybe try one of each. I've done that a couple of times.

For me, I'd take the Redbreast over either, but then again, it's usually twice the price.

Picked up a bottle for €30 in Tesco a few months ago. Was very impressed (especially at that price!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That price for Talisker 10 would have to be an error or clearout. I'd clear them out if I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Caskmates are 28 euro in Tesco at the moment. Not the lowest they have been there, but not bad for someone if they want to try.
    On the Talisker 10, trying to save mine from last Christmas. Still unopened, and 30 euro in tesco (minus a few euro as I had a 10 off 40 voucher and had a few bits to get). Best value I had in tesco for quite some time. Glenfiddich 12 for 25 euro was another good one there when they were clearing stock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

L1011 wrote: »
    That price for Talisker 10 would have to be an error or clearout. I'd clear them out if I saw it!

Definitely wasn't an error or clear-out in the weeks before Christmas last year - there were several whiskies reduced to €30 and it was the same in every store I was in. I think it was that they were all Diageo whiskies.

Coincided with the €10 off €45 vouchers in the papers, which made it even more amazing value!

Had a few Powers John Lane and have opened a bottle of Method And Madness Single Pot Still French Chestnut. An outstanding whiskey.

Had a few Powers John Lane and have opened a bottle of Method And Madness Single Pot Still French Chestnut. An outstanding whiskey.

I’ve been curious about M&M. Must give them a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I’ve been curious about M&M. Must give them a try

They'll have them all to try at Whiskey Live I'd imagine.

Thanks for the feedback on the Jameson Caskmates. I tried the Stout edition over the weekend - €28 in Tesco. Overall, I'd say it's nice but not amazing. It's not overly smooth, but smoother than most around this price range. As another poster mentioned, for the discounted price it's worth trying but not for me if it's €38+.

Thanks for the feedback on the Jameson Caskmates. I tried the Stout edition over the weekend - €28 in Tesco. Overall, I'd say it's nice but not amazing. It's not overly smooth, but smoother than most around this price range. As another poster mentioned, for the discounted price it's worth trying but not for me if it's €38+.

Have you tried the Queen Margot 8 year old blended scotch from LIDL?
    It's €19 and worth a punt, not smoky and defo the smoothest I've tasted in that price bracket.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Have you tried the Queen Margot 8 year old blended scotch from LIDL? It's €19 and worth a punt, not smoky and defo the smoothest I've tasted in that price bracket.

Ralfy on YouTube gave the three year old Queen Margot a great review recently saying it was a great whiskey for its price.
    I must get a bottle of each to try them.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Queen Margot 8 year old blended scotch from LIDL?
    It's €19 and worth a punt, not smoky and defo the smoothest I've tasted in that price bracket.

Well now I've a new one to try! Will try that next and report back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Sheep dip. A blend of 16 single malts no less! An excellent dram and one I'll be revisiting.

Sheep dip. A blend of 16 single malts no less! An excellent dram and one I'll be revisiting.
    Do they actually advertise it as a blend of single malts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    Do they actually advertise it as a blend of single malts?

"woven from 16 different single malt whiskys" is written on the bottle.

L1011 wrote: »
    "woven from 16 different single malt whiskys" is written on the bottle.

I'm surprised they are allowed use the term "single malt" on the bottle at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm surprised they are allowed use the term "single malt" on the bottle at all.

I'm more offended by them saying "woven"

Hi guys.. was looking at a Redbreast CS €90 in Supervalu... have €20 money off vouchers... so it's costing €70...

What do you guys think.? Any better deals out there?

Snap it up!!!

picachu wrote:
    Hi guys.. was looking at a Redbreast CS €90 in Supervalu... have €20 money off vouchers... so it's costing €70...

I was in a hotel over the summer and they were giving me cast strength for the price of the normal 12. A great night was had!

One of the best and at that money it's a no brainer. Do you know what batch/strength it is?

I was in a hotel over the summer and they were giving me cast strength for the price of the normal 12. A great night was had!

One of the best and at that money it's a no brainer. Do you know what batch/strength it is?

Hi Cazale, it's 54.6 i think... its batch 19

I think you're right, considering the normal 12 is €63

I had a bottle of Redbreast CS earlier this year. Very strong & needed a drop of water to enjoy it... which (to me anyway) meant it ended up tasting very similar to the 12 yr old (which I love).

For me, it's not really worth paying the premium for CS. Horse for courses I suppose.

SuperValu have a sale on whiskey from the 7th till the 20th. Best deals are:

Powers 3 swallows - €33
    Black Barrel - €38
    Jameson Crested - €29
    Roe and Coe - €35
    Hyde Special Reserve - €45

• Advertisement

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    I had a bottle of Redbreast CS earlier this year. Very strong & needed a drop of water to enjoy it... which (to me anyway) meant it ended up tasting very similar to the 12 yr old (which I love).

For me, it's not really worth paying the premium for CS. Horse for courses I suppose.

You definitely know your drinking whiskey when you go for cask strength. Worth trying it out in a bar first before stumping up the extra cash for one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement